PDA

View Full Version : 540fORD

NO4NBRI
06-28-2002, 11:20 AM
Has anyone ever built the 540 Ford that is in the April edition of Hot Boat? This was the article on the Drew Marie 540 that put out 700+ HP. If anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

77charger
06-28-2002, 02:31 PM
would like to do someday as that would be one HELL of a motor.From what i read is that you will need an older block.but it will have lots of torque too and good hp to scoot.

06-28-2002, 06:35 PM
This topic was discussed a while ago on this forum, try the search feature for the Drew Marine article. A few things have changes since the orig. article was written such as rods, it was written that the 240/6cyl. rods are some sort of exotic alloy, they aren't. Ford used SAE 1040 or 1060 mild steel for all of their rods. Since then there have been alot of rods introduced to the market that are far superior to a stock rod and in many different lengths to suit whatever need you might have. All that info. is quite dated and you will do much better by talking to a experenced engine builder [preferablly someone who has alot of BBFord experence] before you start your engine project. Hope this helps.

hack job
06-29-2002, 10:30 AM
beware the cost on that baby, it isnt cheep !i just got done getting my 460 turned in to a stroker(509) but it was like a thrid of the price of that motor , but it has me beat on hp.that one is something like 720 hp and mine is around 600. just a thought! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)
[This message has been edited by hack job (edited June 29, 2002).]

NO4NBRI
06-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the input, I actually spoke with Drew (the owner of Drew Marine), surprisingly, building the motor is pretty inexpensive... Its all the other stuff I am worried about like mounting the accessories, finding all the brackets, finding an out drive... all that good stuff. I think it would be cool to do something a bit different. Chevy’s are a dime a dozen in the marine industry. I have always been a Chevy fan, until I bought my Power stroke. I guess I finally saw the light. My problem is I am looking at a 28' cat to put this in. I want a boat with reliability, and is always turn key. I don’t know If I should stick with the over priced Merc package, which I know is problem free for the most part, or if I should build the Ford 540. Drew has said time and time again that this motor is well thought out, and doesn't break. What should I do??

hack job
06-29-2002, 12:48 PM
well i know that most of the boat manif. will build the boat to your spec. so you might call around and find a hull you like and talk to them about seting up with the drew marine 540 in it with a outdrive that could handle that kind of hp . goodluck,check with eliminator , dcb, ultra, nordic and so on.
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

lakesmodified
06-29-2002, 05:26 PM
What should I do??
Absolutely, positively, BUILD THE FORD!!! Like you said, you bought the Powerstroke and seen the light!!! So why change your mind now?