PDA

View Full Version : Jacuzzi WJ questions

Madjacuzzi
07-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I recently had a bearing problem which lead to bigger problems with my Jacuzzi 12WJ. When I pulled the unit apart, I learned that the impeller had gotten into the suction piece housing. I don't know much about how the jet actually works and I'm wondering if I am going to have to replace the suction piece or if cleaning up the suction piece and replacing the wear ring, bearing, etc. will be enough. Does anybody know if there is an easy (and relatively inexpensive) fix? If I have to get another suction piece does anybody know where I might find used parts (Suction Piece and Impeller) for a Jacuzzi 12 WJ?
I'm new to rebuilding a jet unit so all help is appreciated.

BrendellaJet
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
pics might help, otherwise tough to say. Those pumps show up for sale every now & then so if you have to replace it wont be too tough to find it. Whatever anyone says, do not buy the Seloc manual, it contains no rebuilding info on the WJ.

GunninGopher
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
He's right, the Seloc manual covers the YJ.
However, if you know where to get one let me know. I loaned mine out a couple of years ago and you know how that goes.
Also, if you have to do a lot of work on the pump, there is a great mod for the WJ that involves machining it to accept a berkley impeller and it is supposed to really work well.

BrendellaJet
07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Also, if you have to do a lot of work on the pump, there is a great mod for the WJ that involves machining it to accept a berkley impeller and it is supposed to really work well.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/pump_rear-modified.JPG
Dont let anyone steer you wrong with that pump, the are solid & strong. With the right mods they can run good too.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
While the motor is out, check the play in the ENGINE'S thrust bearing/crankshaft movement. I don't know on a Jac, but on the others, thrust bearing complete failure will allow the shaft to slide foreward to push on the back of the crankshaft, which very quickly destroys the thrust bearing in the engine since it is NOT designed to accept a side-load.
This can destroy the crank and the block if not caught in time.

Madjacuzzi
07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks everybody for the information. BrendellaJet I must agree that the WJ is a great unit. We have had this jet for 25 years. We have pulled up 4 skiiers at once (on singles) from deep water which most say can't be done with a jet and it has only required routine maintenance. This failure was self induced, not a problem with the unit itself. SmokinLowriderSS, I will certainly check for engine damage. As far as posting pictures, I am not sure how to go about doing that but when the wife gets back in town with the digital camera next week I'll see if I can figure it out. GunninGopher where could I find more information on the mod to make the WJ pump accept a Berkley impeller? I hope it is not necessary but I would like to do some homework just in case.
Again, any leads on used WJ parts or even an entire used WJ are greatly appreciated and if I can figure out how to post pictures next week I will do.

pw_Tony
07-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I believe WSUWRHR/Brian can do some nifty machinging on these things...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152478&highlight=jacuzzi
http://i18.tinypic.com/61nta8h.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/4qi9yeq.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/6g1v03b.jpg
When the funds are in place I'll be giving him a call;)

lilsquirt
07-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks everybody for the information. BrendellaJet I must agree that the WJ is a great unit. We have had this jet for 25 years. We have pulled up 4 skiiers at once (on singles) from deep water which most say can't be done with a jet and it has only required routine maintenance. This failure was self induced, not a problem with the unit itself. SmokinLowriderSS, I will certainly check for engine damage. As far as posting pictures, I am not sure how to go about doing that but when the wife gets back in town with the digital camera next week I'll see if I can figure it out. GunninGopher where could I find more information on the mod to make the WJ pump accept a Berkley impeller? I hope it is not necessary but I would like to do some homework just in case.
Again, any leads on used WJ parts or even an entire used WJ are greatly appreciated and if I can figure out how to post pictures next week I will do.
I have a good suction housing and shaft for a wj laying around that I wont use anymore since that boat is for sale. Pm me and we can talk price.

Madjacuzzi
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
lilsquirt,
For some reason I cannot PM you. I would like to talk to you about how much you want for the WJ housing and shaft you have. Please e-mail me what you want for the housing and what you would sale the shaft for. I may only need the shaft but I'm not sure yet. My e-mail is: TChase@cvrc.org
Thanks!

Jim Brock
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
i have a new housing and a used housing, used shaft, new empeller, misc new and used wj parts, even a new ss empeller, jim 818-890-1867