PDA

View Full Version : AGRESSOR pump frustrations:

Riverat84
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
okay guys, i have a full agressor pump w/ an aggressor droop snoot...i undid the snoot/steer/trim assembly all in one piece, and am in the process of sanding to polish the snoot, and cant seem to break loose the allen bolts that hold on the shifter arm...they look like they are fused in, and i have NO CLUE how to take them out w/out stripping them...does anyone know where i can go? where did aggressor move to again? pics to come in a few minutes...thanx,
Reid

YeLLowBoaT
07-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Start with good penatraing oil... spray it on, walk away for 20 mins. if that does not work, apply heat to the part( not the bolt) it may bubble off some paint. if you can't get ito off by hand then, use a hammer or impact driver and gently tap.

LGCDEVIL
07-06-2007, 03:39 PM
WD40, heat, and a hammer. Hose them down with WD. Bust out the hammer and give the bolt heads a few good whacks (use a punch or something). Then tap the allen wrench with the hammer as you turn. No workey? Break out the torch. DONT strip the allen heads. Then its time to drill them out. PITA.

BUSBY
07-06-2007, 03:41 PM
does anyone know where i can go? where did aggressor move to again?
they moved back to Gardena I think ...

YeLLowBoaT
07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
WD40, heat, and a hammer. Hose them down with WD. Bust out the hammer and give the bolt heads a few good whacks (use a punch or something). Then tap the allen wrench with the hammer as you turn. No workey? Break out the torch. DONT strip the allen heads. Then its time to drill them out. PITA.
lol last time I striped out allen headed bolt I just took the next size up allen wrench, pounded it in and welded it to the bolt. worked perfectly.

Jbb
07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34498&stc=1&d=1183765429

Riverat84
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P1010815.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P1010813.JPG
hey thanx for the advice guys, ill try that tomarrow morning in the garage...i have lots of WD-40, and i have a butane torch..is that good enough?
reid

YeLLowBoaT
07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/P1010815.JPG
hey thanx for the advice guys, ill try that tomarrow morning in the garage...i have lots of WD-40, and i have a butane torch..is that good enough?
reid
maybe... might want to go pick up a impact driver anyways... they are pretty cheap and can really save your ass when it comes to sticky bolts.
edit....
here is a craftsmen for under $25 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00947641000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

Riverat84
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
maybe... might want to go pick up a impact driver anyways... they are pretty cheap and can really save your ass when it comes to sticky bolts.
edit....
here is a craftsmen for under $25 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00947641000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)
hey thanx alot ill grab one...theres a sears around the corner from my house.

HammerDown
07-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I'll second the use of PB-BLASTER, GRRREAAAAT Stuff!
Let it soak in....;)

Cs19
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Get your hands on a torch

billet racing 1
07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I've had that problem as well. Specially on the ride polate bolts. Just weld a bolt to it. Get a better grip and the heat helps break it free.
Jerry

SmokinLowriderSS
07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
And when you put it back together, "Anti-Sieze".
Aluminum and Steel (including stainless) are NOT a good combination threaded together.

Oldsquirt
07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
In all likely hood, all the fasteners have been set with Locktite. A little heat on each bolt should be enough to break it down and allow disassembly.
When you reassemble, if you want it to to permanent(as it is now) use Locktite blue on the threads. If you want to be able to easily disassemble, and are willing to routinely go over all the bolts to check that they are tight, then a small bit of anti-sieze is called for. Personally I prefer the Locktite option as "peace of mind" is more important than saving a bit of time on any --hopefully unnecessary-- future disassembly. I know that when I ordered some pivot pins for my Place a few years back, they were quite insistant that I use Locktite on all the securing bolts.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Ill secont that!!!! If they put it together properly then they would have used loctite! heat melts the loctite and allows you to loosen the bolt;)
Spitter

BUSBY
07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
yeah, what Chris said ... save yourself a lot of headache! Shoot, even one of those cheap map gas torches would work!

W.O.T
07-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I started to take my pump apart to polish it but had the same problem. I ended up just having the damn thing powder coated.

hang tight
07-06-2007, 10:50 PM
okay guys, i have a full agressor pump w/ an aggressor droop snoot...i undid the snoot/steer/trim assembly all in one piece, and am in the process of sanding to polish the snoot, and cant seem to break loose the allen bolts that hold on the shifter arm...they look like they are fused in, and i have NO CLUE how to take them out w/out stripping them...does anyone know where i can go? where did aggressor move to again? pics to come in a few minutes...thanx,
Reid
Sorry to hear you got an aggressor. You may have to drill the heads off. You have a fun job a head of you.

Riverat84
07-06-2007, 10:56 PM
hey thanx for all the replies and advice...i can get my hands on a map gas torch for cheap obviously, but i have never heated anything up to break it loose...maybe one of you guys could help me? ill bring the piece over to your house or buisiness, and pay you in the ***boat currency: BEER!...any takers? i also will be in parker in 2 weeks if that helps...let me know if anyone can help me or walk me through it i'd really appreciate it...i wanna learn the right way to rebuild shit instead of my way lol...
Reid
562)331-7116 cell...call me whenever.

YeLLowBoaT
07-06-2007, 11:18 PM
hey thanx for all the replies and advice...i can get my hands on a map gas torch for cheap obviously, but i have never heated anything up to break it loose...maybe one of you guys could help me? ill bring the piece over to your house or buisiness, and pay you in the ***boat currency: BEER!...any takers? i also will be in parker in 2 weeks if that helps...let me know if anyone can help me or walk me through it i'd really appreciate it...i wanna learn the right way to rebuild shit instead of my way lol...
Reid
562)331-7116 cell...call me whenever.
if your up for a drive... bring it on up... I'll even throw some steaks on the grill... :D

old rigger
07-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Riverat84 brought this by my house the other day with a question about something other than the stuck bolts. Unfortunately he’s dealing with a double whammy. Not only is there a little corrosion, whoever assembled this deal, once they tightened everything down to their liking the took a chisel and seated the heads of the bolts to the bracket, so I doubt that loctite is an issue here. I’m not sure heating them up will do any good, although I guess it can't hurt.

Riverat84
07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Riverat84 brought this by my house the other day with a question about something other than the stuck bolts. Unfortunately he’s dealing with a double whammy. Not only is there a little corrosion, whoever assembled this deal, once they tightened everything down to their liking the took a chisel and seated the heads of the bolts to the bracket, so I doubt that loctite is an issue here. I’m not sure heating them up will do any good, although I guess it can't hurt.
yeah, i really dont know why the hell they did that...does'nt look like much of an advantage for doing it...just makes it harder to remove.

Oldsquirt
07-07-2007, 09:18 AM
As foolish as it was to put those "hatchet marks" on the bolt heads, it still shouldn't take much more than a few shots with an impact driver and a good quality allen-head socket to break them loose. It will probably be necessary to re-touch the countersinks in the cable bracket before reassembly.
Riverrat, before you go looking for a torch to heat the bolts up, try something that you may just have at home......a high powered hair dryer(don't let wife/girfriend say NO! :) ). If that doesn't work, a simple hand held propane torch should be more than sufficient. You only need to heat things up a little to get the locktite to melt. Follow this with a few sharp raps with the impact driver. This whole job looks a lot harder than it really is. :)

Jet Hydro
07-07-2007, 09:48 AM
after you get em out make sure you use some anti-seize on the new bolts. Any time you use SS bolts you need to use anti-seize on the threads along with the matting surface.
Same on the ride plate bolts use some anti-seize there also. Best rule to live by on a boat is to anti-seize most all your SS bolts our you might have trouble getting em out after they have been in water

BUSBY
07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
As foolish as it was to put those "hatchet marks" on the bolt heads, it still shouldn't take much more than a few shots with an impact driver and a good quality allen-head socket to break them loose. It will probably be necessary to re-touch the countersinks in the cable bracket before reassembly.
Riverrat, before you go looking for a torch to heat the bolts up, try something that you may just have at home......a high powered hair dryer(don't let wife/girfriend say NO! :) ). If that doesn't work, a simple hand held propane torch should be more than sufficient. You only need to heat things up a little to get the locktite to melt. Follow this with a few sharp raps with the impact driver. This whole job looks a lot harder than it really is. :)
Oldsquirt is right there Riverrat ... while I never turn down free beer ... you might save yourself some time and gas in driving around.
Hold the map torch with the tip of the flame circling the bolt or the hair dryer right on the bolt for about ... um ... 1-2 minutes ... this should expand the metal around the bolt & melting the loctite allowing the screw to come out.
I'm not sure about the impact with the chisel marks though ... would probably stick to a GOOD quality allen on a 3/8 ratchet so you can get the feel if it's coming loose or not.
Take your time, don't get frustrated, if worse comes to worse ... then you break out the beer money and start the drive :D

Riverat84
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Oldsquirt is right there Riverrat ... while I never turn down free beer ... you might save yourself some time and gas in driving around.
Hold the map torch with the tip of the flame circling the bolt or the hair dryer right on the bolt for about ... um ... 1-2 minutes ... this should expand the metal around the bolt & melting the loctite allowing the screw to come out.
I'm not sure about the impact with the chisel marks though ... would probably stick to a GOOD quality allen on a 3/8 ratchet so you can get the feel if it's coming loose or not.
Take your time, don't get frustrated, if worse comes to worse ... then you break out the beer money and start the drive :D
NICE, guys! thanx for the help...ill try that and let u know what happenes...keep checking this thread thanx,
Reid

Riverat84
07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
TtT