PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Vs. Paint

pw_Tony
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
What's your guy's opinions on whether Gel Coat is longer lasting or a good two stage paint?
I've seen so many Gel Coats fade and crack over time, but out of the boats I've painted seem to hold their shine ALOT longer and doesn't crack like that, but then again it could be a fluke;)
Any thoughts?

bikerboater
07-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Given enough time ,in the sun's UV rays, either will break down. My vote would go for a high quality urethane paint finish though. The paint companies have done a lot of development to make these finishes standup on auto aplications where most vehicles spend their time outdoors. High end clearcoats have UV inhibitors in their composition sort of like a sun screen. Gelcoat is old polyester technology but does have the advantage of being thicker, perhaps alowing deeper scratches to be sanded out & buffed. My own personal experiance has been that paint is also easier to apply,repair & spot in, provideing its not a custom candy job. I'm in the auto body bussiness so I may be biased but that's my $.02

Xlration Marine
07-07-2007, 05:59 AM
This topic has been beaten to death like and old dog. Why don't you find some one that has bought a boat with paint on it or clear coat that has been sprayed over dull gell. I've seen countless threads on "how do you get this crap off". Paint is for cars,period. Go to other boards like this and do a search to see what you find, paint is a quick fix for sure. There is no substitute for gel coat. Yes, external gel coating is a pain in the azz, but it's the right way to do a boat. If you paint your boat and sell it, the next buyer is goin to want to kill ya. Sorry but thats just the way it is.

Bow Tie Omega
07-07-2007, 06:11 AM
This is what I can tell you....If you are going to get a gel coat or paint job done, make sure it is with somebody reputable, not just somebody who has a good reputation here on the boards......Make sure they have an actual business, with a business license and do not have any sort of history with the better business bureau. Make sure you get everything in writing, including smome sort of guarantee.It is a large investment. I went with a guy with a good ruputation on the boards, but ended up not being a reputable gel coater and it cost me $8600. My gel coat has to be sanded down to the fiberglass and be completely re-done because of poor prep (gel painted on over paint, it did not bond which caused it to crack along with some home made filler he used, it literally crumbled under the gel, which casued voids under the gel. He tried to say the hull was a pos, and it was cracked already.....Lets just say there was not ever a single crack on the boat before he touched it.......We have gone so far as to have several of the cracks cut down and all of the cracks are in the gel coat only. Anyways, I am taking the boat to somebody that is a reputable painter/ gel coater in the fall and is really helping me out with the price. Just be careful with who you choose and learn from my mistakes.....Get everything in writing.......What you want, the design, how long it will take, the estimated price and the warranty they will put on the paint/gel as far as flaws and any repairs that may arise. Learn from my mistakes......AS far as gel vs paint.... I am still trying to figure that one out as well. ANyways.......Good Luck and be dilligent with your research, it will pay off in spades in the end

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
This is what I can tell you....If you are going to get a gel coat or paint job done, make sure it is with somebody reputable, not just somebody who has a good reputation here on the boards......Make sure they have an actual business, with a business license and do not have any sort of history with the better business bureau. Make sure you get everything in writing, including smome sort of guarantee.It is a large investment. I went with a guy with a good ruputation on the boards, but ended up not being a reputable gel coater and it cost me $8600. My gel coat has to be sanded down to the fiberglass and be completely re-done because of poor prep (gel painted on over paint, it did not bond which caused it to crack along with some home made filler he used, it literally crumbled under the gel, which casued voids under the gel. He tried to say the hull was a pos, and it was cracked already.....Lets just say there was not ever a single crack on the boat before he touched it.......We have gone so far as to have several of the cracks cut down and all of the cracks are in the gel coat only. Anyways, I am taking the boat to somebody that is a reputable painter/ gel coater in the fall and is really helping me out with the price. Just be careful with who you choose and learn from my mistakes.....Get everything in writing.......What you want, the design, how long it will take, the estimated price and the warranty they will put on the paint/gel as far as flaws and any repairs that may arise. Learn from my mistakes......AS far as gel vs paint.... I am still trying to figure that one out as well. ANyways.......Good Luck and be dilligent with your research, it will pay off in spades in the end
Thanks for the info. I'll actually be doing it myself, I've done both Gel and Paint so if it screws up I have no one to blame but myself;)

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 11:06 AM
This topic has been beaten to death like and old dog. Why don't you find some one that has bought a boat with paint on it or clear coat that has been sprayed over dull gell. I've seen countless threads on "how do you get this crap off". Paint is for cars,period. Go to other boards like this and do a search to see what you find, paint is a quick fix for sure. There is no substitute for gel coat. Yes, external gel coating is a pain in the azz, but it's the right way to do a boat. If you paint your boat and sell it, the next buyer is goin to want to kill ya. Sorry but thats just the way it is.
I have painted 3 boats with paint, and all of them I sanded it all the way down to the glass:jawdrop: I know shocking.
And I have only done touch up and repairs on Gel Coats before.
But I just wanted to get an opinions of people that have done it more than me that's all;)

Jbb
07-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Absolute nonsense....."Paint is for cars period"?...lol
Take a look at most of the boats attending poker runs around the country.....Outerlimits.....Cigarettes.....Nortech s....Skaters.....most all that I have been around in the last 5 years, have been painted.......havent heard any owners.....first...or second.... complain about the finish...
"Thats just the way it is"........:D ....yeah ...ok....

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Absolute nonsense....."Paint is for cars period"?...lol
Take a look at most of the boats attending poker runs around the country.....Outerlimits.....Cigarettes.....Nortech s....Skaters.....most all that I have been around in the last 5 years, have been painted.......havent heard any owners.....first...or second.... complain about the finish...
"Thats just the way it is"........:D ....yeah ...ok....
Exactly

jimslade
07-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Under 20 feet, gelcoat is the best. Over 20, paint is better due to the amount of work needed. Gel is the toughest and most durable. paint is better when it comes to multicolored jobs. Both are a lot of work to do properly.