PDA

View Full Version : Night Boating, Not So Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not So Fast
07-07-2007, 05:04 AM
For as long as we have been boating we have never stayed out late (Once a long, long time ago) Everybody has always said "It's great, you should do it" so last nite we did. Maybe it was not a good time to do it because the lake and the channel were very crowded. So coming in around site six we were cut off no less than twice, the Mother f===ing bugs were horrible and Windsor was a cluster F--k!!!!!!!!!!! Between the drunks and the IDIOTS not knowing how to retreive a boat, it was a horrible experience, just horrible, never again:( Now I am off to clean the bazzilion gazzilion bugs off the boat, little bastards. How do you guys tolerate all of this, not fun at all:confused: NSF

TCN
07-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Wait until they are dead and use a fox tail broom and a shop vac. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THEM WHEN THEY ARE ALIVE. Their body fluids will stain your interior. I have done this and it is a huge mess. Luckily it was a different boat than our new one. Good luck.

Chipster27
07-07-2007, 05:51 AM
....So coming in around site six we were cut off no less than twice...
My friend lost his friend in boating accident at night in the same area. Night on the lake, coming around the corner near site 6 and a boat load of drunks t-bones him. He was killed and his wife and son suffer from numerous issues. Speculation has it group that caused the accident tried to sink the boat to hide the evidence.
I have great memories of night boating 20 years ago, but we were down on the south end of the lake with a slip so it was real convenient.

Jyruiz
07-07-2007, 07:05 AM
1st time night boating for me was this past 4th of July, it wasn't that bad, but I went through the channel for that exact reason, drunks in the water. The Windsor ramp was not that bad, but we got there a little before the rush.

beaverretriever
07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I hate to say it, we love cruising around the lake at night but not so much at Havazoo.
We have had the boat out till midnight at Mead and it is just unbelievable. Super peaceful, warm, NO BUGs, and just awesome. We don't do it much but maybe 1-2 times a yr.:)

catman-do
07-07-2007, 07:12 AM
We have taken the boat out at night several times. I would never do it on a holidy weekend, thats just suicide. There are too many drunks, and then people that sit out in the water without their lights on etc... We usually do it on a thursday or friday night before everyone has had a chance to get stupid.

voodoomedman
07-07-2007, 07:17 AM
The bugs wasn't because it was night. There were bugs all over the middle of Windsor Basin on Thursday. We usually are never bothered by bugs on the lake. I want to do a night ride one time but I won't do it on a Friday or Saturday night or Holiday peak time for those exact same safety reasons. I wanted to do it Wednesday for the fireworks but I thought it would be crazy out there. Why are there some many fookin idiots on Havasu. It can be crowded without having drunken idiots but not on Havasu. Unbelievable.

SummerBreeze
07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Night boating is very cool. Only if you don't need to get off the water when everyone else is.
If you find yourself a peaceful cove to stay in a overnight. Boating at night can be a lot of fun.
Mid week in havasu you will have the place to yourself.
Go slow and be safe

Magic34
07-07-2007, 08:09 AM
You just did it wrong.
Night boating for me... Anchor, fire up generator and turn A/C on, put up full enclosure to keep the bugs out, turn on the satellite TV, then fire up the BBQ on the swim deck, take a shower and then watch a movie in bed.
OK... so I dont know how to put up the enclosure or pump out the tank on the boat yet, but that all sounds really good. :D

EmpirE231
07-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Isn't there a speed limit when boating at night?? :confused:

Throttle
07-07-2007, 08:19 AM
you should know better...
yesterday was NOT the day/night for night boating... You need to pick a night like last week when the moon is full, there is nobody here and go sit in a cove... it was great last week... its obvious that all the idiots have shown up here in town finally yesterday... you just picked a bad day...
dont give up on it

Not So Fast
07-07-2007, 09:19 AM
you should know better...
yesterday was NOT the day/night for night boating... You need to pick a night like last week when the moon is full, there is nobody here and go sit in a cove... it was great last week... its obvious that all the idiots have shown up here in town finally yesterday... you just picked a bad day...
dont give up on it
Yeah, I guess youre right Cam, silly me thought that Fri wouldnt be too bad and even when we launched it was good at 9am so I figured no crowds, WRONG< WRONG< WRONG!!!!! I should have known when they were rafting up at the sandbar things were going to be busy at the ramp and also the channel being full at 8:30pm. Like I said, just a horrible experience and since we all know how to boat and RETRIEVE :rolleyes: just where do ALL OF THE FRIKKIN IDIOTS come from, unbeliveable what goes on at the ramps and being pitch black makes it 100 times worse!! And the truck headlights staying on and blinding you, thats another story. Did I mention those G.D. bugs, first time I have ever had to vacuum the OUTSIDE of my boat, took me 31/2 hrs to clean it this morning. Maybe the full moon and middle of the week thing but I have to recover from this one first:( Peace, NSF

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I've been boating at night a few times but usually at Martinez.
Last time went "Night Wakeboarding" which is hard when you have that damn light on off the back cause you can't see! But when I would crash I would hear the other people in the boat yell "MARCO"... they told me they could hear my faint voice going "polo!" lol.
And another time when I was a youngin we were night boating down from a sand bar when all of a sudden he floors it, I had no idea why until we jumper out of the water onto a sandbar, slid about 60 feet on the sand, and plopped back on the water! Only in a jet boat! But then later that night a bird couldn't see either and decided to fly infront of us when we were cruising by, and caught my Pops in the face and broke his nose:jawdrop:

RaceFace
07-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Like Throttle said, bad night to do it. I have done it on the river around Moabi with a full moon out and on a wednesday....absolutey awesome!! Nothing better than floating down the river about 9 pm, full moon, nobody out and BB King cruisin in the stereo. ;)

lalhc
07-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I love being on the water at night, but not on a holiday or weekend.

RiverOtter
07-07-2007, 10:51 AM
For as long as we have been boating we have never stayed out late (Once a long, long time ago) Everybody has always said "It's great, you should do it" so last nite we did. Maybe it was not a good time to do it because the lake and the channel were very crowded. So coming in around site six we were cut off no less than twice, the Mother f===ing bugs were horrible and Windsor was a cluster F--k!!!!!!!!!!! Between the drunks and the IDIOTS not knowing how to reteive a boat, it was a horrible experience, just horrible, never again:( Now I am off to clean the bazzilion gazzilion bugs off the boat, little bastards. How do you guys tolerate all of this, not fun at all:confused: NSF
:idea: Sounds like you need a windshield and docking lights :D

rrrr
07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
If I have to run at night I get out my gadzillion candlepower spotlight. Any boat that comes close to me gets lit up.
It's the only way some of those assholes will see another boat.

RiverOtter
07-07-2007, 11:09 AM
If I have to run at night I get out my gadzillion candlepower spotlight. Any boat that comes close to me gets lit up.
It's the only way some of those assholes will see another boat.
Ain't it fun :D

Not So Fast
07-07-2007, 11:49 AM
:idea: Sounds like you need a windshield and docking lights :D
I dont think that would help, the bugs were mostly at the ramp and that was just sittin time, around 40 minutes because the guy in the lane in front of my trailer sat there for about 20 minutes waiting for his boat (You, the drunk in the black Escalade with it in so deep your doors were under water can kiss my ass, thank you) My son tried to manuver around him but in the dark and being very busy just pulled out and got back in line which took forever. Then finally the guy next to us couldnt back up so he asked him to help and he backed his trailer in for him before he got our trailer in the water. I have the Bazillion candle power light but I'm too nice to shine it around the dock area which would blind other boaters. Like I said it was just a very bad experience which wont happen again. I have a tough time time accepting IDIOCY and inexperience when in that situation, if you cant back up a trailer or drive a boat DONT DO IT WHEN ITS CROWDED, AND DARK PLEASE :mad: . Oh, well, boats clean so on to another day, MAYBE THURSDAY since we're retired, I like it:D NSF

franky
07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes the last couple of days have been nasty out with the crowds, heat and still nights.
Speaking of IDIOCY, we were at Steamboat on Thursday early afternoon and a guy came cruising in with a deck boat that I think was a Conquest with colors similar to NSF's Magic (the "Conquest" logo was orange or gold). It looked like he was with (followed and parking with) Mel (SYA). He had a kid or two hanging off the front trying to get thier feet wet (stretching ) and he, the MORON driver, was turned around talking to someone in the back seat. It would take 2 seconds of this stupid to begin with situation but worse for not paying attention for one of the kids to fall in and become chud.
I don't get it.:idea:
Then there are the IDIOTS that don't know traffic patterns on the lake, not to mention the lice.
Can't wait till Tuesday. See you out there Phebus!!!!
NSF, you need a little breeze in the evening to not have the nats.

Not So Fast
07-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes the last couple of days have been nasty out with the crowds, heat and still nights.
Speaking of IDIOCY, we were at Steamboat on Thursday early afternoon and a guy came cruising in with a deck boat that I think was a Conquest with colors similar to NSF's Magic (the "Conquest" logo was orange or gold). It looked like he was with (followed and parking with) Mel (SYA). He had a kid or two hanging off the front trying to get thier feet wet (stretching ) and he, the MORON driver, was turned around talking to someone in the back seat. It would take 2 seconds of this stupid to begin with situation but worse for not paying attention for one of the kids to fall in and become chud.
I don't get it.:idea:
Then there are the IDIOTS that don't know traffic patterns on the lake, not to mention the lice.
Can't wait till Tuesday. See you out there Phebus!!!!
NSF, you need a little breeze in the evening to not have the nats.
A breeze at this point would be nice in itself:D
Hers another thing we saw on the way out of Thompsons Bay. This woman was doing a Micheal Jackson with a child, she has him hangin over the side draggin his feet in the water, the child was maybe 1-11/2, Oh I forgot the boat was underway:confused: I know it wouldnt have spelled death but who knows what could have happened. Of course being me I had to yell out "thats pretty stupid lady" to which she just smiled, damn, some people just dont get it:) BTW it was getting dark at that point also!!! NSF

atomickitn
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
fyi the bugs come out every night at dusk no matter what you have to wait just a lil longer and the bugs will be gone , as for the rest of it take slow , after all your in no hurry , then just enjoy the wonderful sunsets...:)

Hallett19
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
You just did it wrong.
Night boating for me... Anchor, fire up generator and turn A/C on, put up full enclosure to keep the bugs out, turn on the satellite TV, then fire up the BBQ on the swim deck, take a shower and then watch a movie in bed.
OK... so I dont know how to put up the enclosure or pump out the tank on the boat yet, but that all sounds really good. :D
You could save yourself plenty of time, money, etc and just stay home!
For me, there is nothing better than a night cruise. Froggystyle is the master, he has the whole thing wired and got my boat setup for it since he knows how much I enjoy it. All neons on the inside, led's on the motor, flashlight is as powerful as the sun. I keep the light in my hand and flash a few hundred yards in front of me every few seconds scanning for other boats, obsticles and shoreline. Its better to do it on a bright moon too but there is nothing better than the glass water, friends, lights, moon, stars...... ahhhh!!

Ziggy
07-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Boated at night only a few times and have never been overly comfortable with it...I suppose its just a matter of getting used to it.
I do seem to recall riding an old standup jetski equipped with a headlight, that was kinda spooky really.. :)

Magic34
07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
You could save yourself plenty of time, money, etc and just stay home!
But I dont have satellite at home... :idea:

mark49
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
I was on the lake every night the last week of June, full moon, light knits, stars that appeared so close could reach out and touch them. I never take the boat out on weekends so the drunks are not a noticeable problem for me.
Ya just gotta get da boat out on da lake during a full moon, bring your significant other, bottle of wine, put on some Sinatra and enjoy the beauty of the darkness.
I do have the 1 million watt lights, in case of drunken boaters but haven’t needed them, my biggest concern is how fast we can get dressed if the lake patrol shows ups.. :idea:
Sorry you had a bad night experience, for me i love the late night cruises.
Mark

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
You just did it wrong.
I will be looking for you:D

HOOTER SLED-
07-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I will be looking for you:D
This sure sounds gay. LOL...:devil:

shueman
07-08-2007, 02:21 AM
We never "intentionally" go boating at night....way to dangerous; not worth the risk IMO...:eek:

warlock 27
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
this 4th of july was the frist time ever staying out after dark. and we did not like it, it was to had to see and we hit the bottom a few times. we would never go out after dark agin.

Magic34
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
This sure sounds gay. LOL...:devil:
I didn't take it as gay, but it does make me a little nervous. ;) :D

RiverRatMike
07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
For as long as we have been boating we have never stayed out late (Once a long, long time ago) Everybody has always said "It's great, you should do it" so last nite we did. Maybe it was not a good time to do it because the lake and the channel were very crowded. So coming in around site six we were cut off no less than twice, the Mother f===ing bugs were horrible and Windsor was a cluster F--k!!!!!!!!!!! Between the drunks and the IDIOTS not knowing how to retreive a boat, it was a horrible experience, just horrible, never again:( Now I am off to clean the bazzilion gazzilion bugs off the boat, little bastards. How do you guys tolerate all of this, not fun at all:confused: NSF
I was in Parker over the weekend and there was this one guy coming up river from the fireworks show at the blue water, with no bow lights and heading up river on the wrong side. I don't get it:confused:

Phat Matt
07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I love it at night. It's my favorite time. You can't beat the nights with a full moon either. :)

Mrs 2LKHVSU
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
We had a friend hit in his boat and die as he was waiting for his trailer at Windsor......at night. The trial is still ongoing... 4 years later... Since then, We are much for cautious....

In2Deep
07-09-2007, 04:57 AM
Nothing quite like night boating at Havasu with a full moon -- which is the only time I'd try it. Never had an issue with bugs. Never retrieved at night, just moored off the Nautical where we'd stay.
Since moving to the Midwest and now boating LOTO, night boating -- and having the navigation skills to do it well -- are at a whole new level. If you don't or can't boat at night out here....you're missing half the day's fun.
You just have to be careful, use good judgment, and don't try anything you're not comfortable with. Bring along someone who is an experienced night boater the first couple of times out -- to show the ropes.
I2D

Seadog
07-09-2007, 05:15 AM
My favorite boating time is at night, but there are definitely rules that must be followed.
1. Make sure you know your way.
2. Make sure your running lights are working properly.
3. No docking lights or spotlights unless it is absolutely necessary. And never aim lights at another boater. It is not only illegal, but can be dangerous.
4. Know where the popular drinking locations are and avoid them.
5. Never be in a hurry.

RCB19
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Boating at night is the Chit! I do this almost every time when at the river. No drama on the out ramp where I boat.

Phat Matt
07-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I can bet you that we have pulled the boat out after sunset way more times than in the light. :D

andy01
07-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I love it at night. It's my favorite time. You can't beat the nights with a full moon either. :)
Man a couple of weeks ago in your boat was killer that night on Havi........

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
I can bet you that we have pulled the boat out after sunset way more times than in the light. :D
Didn't you mean before sun up. :confused:

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Night boating is an ass kicker, cruising around in the ole pontoon is the bomb, Q'ing a couple of burgers, fat onion and fresh tomato from the garden...don't get any better.
One problem is if the LEO had a test at the ramp, and asked the question, which side of the boat is the green light on, and you failed, you cant launch.

RCB19
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
No doubt! Some people just don't realize what they are leaving at the ramp or better yet the real reason why you go to the river. NO SCHEDULE just kickin back.

Phat Matt
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Man a couple of weeks ago in your boat was killer that night on Havi........
Copper Canyon isn't so crazy at 11pm is it? :)

Classic Daycruiser
07-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Navigation is very important at night, and a full tank is also a good idea. Have a couple flashlights with good batteries.
It is not a good idea for any boater with less than 250 hours of boating to go out at night(inexperienced). If you do not know the lake in the day, you we'll be lost at night. Remember water levels change at night very quickly on some lakes (Saguaro)
Watch out for fishermen that have there nav lights off.
Go slow. Have ever seen a log on the lake?...you'll find it at night...tha hard way.
Carry a cell phone, and if in remote areas, carry a marine radio with spare batteries.
Carry some food and bottle water. Remember there is no help on the lake at night. You might have to wait until morning to get rescued.
What do you do when a speeding boat is heading right for you, battery is dead, your in the middle of the lake. What do you do if the cloest shore is over 1 mile away. Your flag don't work at night.

RCB19
07-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Navigation is very important at night, and a full tank is also a good idea. Have a couple flashlights with good batteries.
It is not a good idea for any boater with less than 250 hours of boating to go out at night(inexperienced). If you do not know the lake in the day, you we'll be lost at night. Remember water levels change at night very quickly on some lakes (Saguaro)
Watch out for fishermen that have there nav lights off.
Go slow. Have ever seen a log on the lake?...you'll find it at night...tha hard way.
Carry a cell phone, and if in remote areas, carry a marine radio with spare batteries.
Carry some food and bottle water. Remember there is no help on the lake at night. You might have to wait until morning to get rescued.
What do you do when a speeding boat is heading right for you, battery is dead, your in the middle of the lake. What do you do if the cloest shore is over 1 mile away. Your flag don't work at night.
It's a great thing that safety is the priority concern here but man??? You just killed the spontinaeity of the night putt. You better stay on shore.

SJP
07-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Read this article and be careful out there. Whether you are partying or just cruizing. From a local lake where I grew up - really unfortunate for everyone involved.
http://www.syracuse.com/articles/news/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1183971371227840.xml&coll=1