PDA

View Full Version : 18' v-drives for sale?

Magnuman
03-12-2002, 06:01 PM
I have been recently looking for a boat to purchase for my family to play and ski on. I bought an beautiful 18' Bubbledeck Sanger Jet last year but sold it due to the pounding I took in any short of light chop. I am looking for something that can handle a light chop in the 18' range that is a v-drive and preferrably with wet jacketed exhaust. I would appreciate any help regarding builders/models that would meet this criteria. My budget is up to $10,000 depending on engine and condition. I also don't have a problem with a project boat as long as the hull is able to handle the conditions that I have stated.
Thanks.

HUFFPOWER
03-12-2002, 06:45 PM
you might want to think about a 19 or 20 ft mini v-drive cruiser,like a hallett,schiada or rayson-craft.ck the boat traderonline.

HavasuDreamin'
03-13-2002, 06:14 AM
I agree with huffpower. 20ft. mini cruiser, semi-vee is what you want. Most v-drives in the 18' range are flatbottoms. If you thought your 18' Sanger jet boat pounded, ride in a flatbottom and you will know the true meaning of taking a pounding (don't get me wrong, I love flats, just not good rough water boats). Good Luck.

Costello
03-13-2002, 12:36 PM
WTF?? I contacted magnuman when he was looking for a 21'. I had a 21' in the project stages for $6500. I have since installed a brand new crate style stock powerplant in it. It will be for sale also very shortly, after some shakedown to make sure everything is ship shape. I too think a 20-22' is the way to go for your desired application. A flat will beat you up more than that Super jet did. I have a boat which fits the criteria you are looking for, with a price somewhere in between your initial $10-15K range when you posted regarding cruisers.
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited March 13, 2002).]

Magnuman
03-13-2002, 05:05 PM
I realize that a 21 daycruiser would be better in the rough, but I would really like to stay in the 18' range as I also have a 27'boat. I sold a 1967 18' Donzi 2+3 that could handle the rough stuff incredibally and I'm trying to find a compromise in between. I've never owned a v-drive and hopefully will find one that suits my needs. If not I'll go back to trying to find another Donzi.

Jetboatguru
03-13-2002, 06:23 PM
Magnuman, If you think you are gonna find an 18 foot V-drive
handles in Rough water
is in your price range
with a wet jacketed exhaust
possibly a project boat
I think you are in for a long wait. Why don't you just ask for someones heart on a plate. I could be wrong but I don't think such an animal exists. The boat that Costello has is very nice and fits your criteria almost to a T except for the 18 ft thing. Good luck

Costello
03-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Hell it even fits straight in a standard garage! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Sangerboy
03-14-2002, 05:59 AM
I agree with guru, 18 to 19' v-bottom v-drives do exist but they are not common so if you're not in a hurry you'll eventually find something, otherwise I would look for something I/O.

Sangerboy
03-14-2002, 06:04 AM
Dang icons, sorry that was supposed to be a thumbs up.

Stab-n-Steer
03-14-2002, 06:35 AM
I'm confused guys... Isn't this the "V-Drive" section? V-Drives and smooth rides do not go together. Magnuman should go for a ride in my little Beezer and than he would appreciate riding in a "normal" V-drive!
Just get a tight fitting jock strap and a mouthpiece, buckle up the chin strap and enjoy!
S&S

spectras only
03-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Magnuman, while the 19 spectra isn't as deep as your Donzi was ,it has a deeper V than the 20 daycruiser,and you can find it in V-drive configuration.See spectramarine's website,the ex Vic Edelbrock 19 V-drive listed there.I run a 19 spectra jet in the okanagan lakes in rough water no problem if you don't mind the occasional shower/spray in the hot summer http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif The ultimate V-drive would be the 19 Kavalk V-drive that can run in the roughest of the ocean for that size of boat.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 14, 2002).]

SPECTRABRENT
03-14-2002, 11:56 AM
Magnuman,
If you are looking for an 18-19 ft. v-drive hull that will ride well in the rough water, look at a Rayson Craft (lowdeck) GN hull, Howard 19 foot GN, Hallett 18 foot, or Spectra 19. There is a All REd Spectra 19 Twin Turbo on the Boattrader.com. I think it was original owned by Jerry Herbst (Terrible Herbst Gas stations) The Twin is on my web site www.spectramarine.com, (http://www.spectramarine.com,) that boat was owned by Vic Edelbrock.
Brent

DetroitJim
03-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Donzi made some v-drive 18's and 21's, believe it or not. My neighbor had a 18 ft with a 302 Holman Moody Ford, Velvet Drive and v-drive. It was once Don Aronow's tender for his yacht. I also saw a 21 v-drive in a boatyard in Detroit once.

Magnuman
03-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks.
I saw two Spectra 19's on Boattrader. One looks like a DayCruiser that is a little out of proportion, the other looks much nicer. Was there a difference in the years that they changed the models or just a difference in model style?
Detroit Jim,
There was a Donzi 18 with a v-drive that was for sale not too long ago. I had heard they were set up this way for Secret Service use during one of the Presidents administration.

spectras only
03-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Magnuman,spectra stuck with the lines for their models, the 18 and 19 are two totally different hull and deck.The 18 has the resemblance of the 20 daycruiser, the 19 is a very sleek and fast hull.{some people misquotes their boat's lenght].
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 14, 2002).]

Magnuman
03-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Spectras only,
Thanks, the Spectra 19 then is the boat I would be looking for. To me, the 18 looks out of proportion.

superdave013
03-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Magnuman, You should also look into that Rayson Craft that Spectra Brent was talking about. It's 20 feet but when looking at it you will think it's more like 18'. That boat is the king of GN racing. It handles rough water very well and is one tough boat. But it's still low profile and has some nice lines I think. I bet Johnney at Rayson Craft would just love to lay up a brand new one for you and you could build it from a blank hull. If not an older used one would be great too.

Magnuman
03-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Superdave,
On Boattrader there is a new RaysonCraft 20'V bottom hull that is for sale. They are asking $7,500 for it. There is also a 1978 21 Daycruiser for sale that the owner is asking $11,500 for. From the pictures it doesn't look worth the $11,500 and it has been used by the present owner primarily in salt water. I also would like to stay just a little smaller in size, but the profile of
that daycruiser looks sweet!
By the way your boat looks like it's coming along really nicely. How much longer?
[This message has been edited by Magnuman (edited March 14, 2002).]

superdave013
03-14-2002, 06:52 PM
7,500 is a good price for a new hull. If I wasn't so far into mine I would be looking pretty hard at that one. Remember that v-drives cost more than jet for the most part. There is alot more to one and it takes way longer to rig. The v-bottom cruisers hold their value to damn well. I paid more than I should have for mine but I wanted it so I bucked up for it. You should hop on the 20'er and put it together a lil at a time as your budget allows.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how mine's turning out right now. The gelcoat should be done sometime next week. It will be awile before it hits the water as I'm making all new hardware and still need a few key parts. Oh, I'll be out of money again after I pay Barney for the work he did to it.

old rigger
03-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Magnuman,
Was just wondering if you or any of the other guys saw that 18 Hallett on e-bay right now. It's in the LA area. Complete, v-drive, steering, plates, seats but no motor. Set up for BBC. The auction ends on the 16th, and bidding is starting at $2,500, no reserve.
Nobodys bid on it yet.
Oh yeah, item number is 1812442760.........

SPECTRABRENT
03-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Maguman,
I found a Spectra 19 v-drive, 454, Turbo 400 trans. 805-374-9413
Brent