PDA

View Full Version : WHat are the Best upgardes for a Duramax?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I have been looking at trucks and thinking about buying a chevy duramax(2004-2006). I want to doa "on the fly" programmer with 5 inch exhaust and a intake. I am looking for reliability! I have seen alot of stuff that pumps the torque way up. Hp and torque is nice but I dont want to smoke the tranny. What are some of you guys running for upgrades?
1. What Programmers
2. What tranny mods
3. What exhaust mods
4. What can you add to keep the egt's down?
5. Whats the best bang for the buck?
6. What cold air intakes?
Any info is highly appreciated. Thanks Michael

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
My buddy on his 2005 went with Straight 5" exhaust all the way back... no muffler and no cat. And let me tell you the Duramaxx sounds sick that way!
He's also got an EDGE programmer, and cold air intake of course.
On his 35" seconds it does 0-60mph in 6.0 seconds... pretty quick for a big truck that's lifted!:D
And when he tows his 25' ToyBox up the grade the truck never down shifts even with the big tires.:)
And the exhaust was very cheap to do!

Zaairman
07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
www.TheDieselGarage.com
:idea:

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
My buddy on his 2005 went with Straight 5" exhaust all the way back... no muffler and no cat. And let me tell you the Duramaxx sounds sick that way!
He's also got an EDGE programmer, and cold air intake of course.
On his 35" seconds it does 0-60mph in 6.0 seconds... pretty quick for a big truck that's lifted!:D
And when he tows his 25' ToyBox up the grade the truck never down shifts even with the big tires.:)
And the exhaust was very cheap to do!
just so you know if you don't run the cat and you get inspected... your going to be about 15k poorer... its a big time federal no no.
other then that, I would leave it stock and keep the warrenty.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 04:07 PM
just so you know if you don't run the cat and you get inspected... your going to be about 15k poorer... its a big time federal no no.
Is it in Arizona with no smog?

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 04:10 PM
reread my post... I made the important word big and bold.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
reread my post... I made the important word big and bold.
How often would you get busted by the Feds for your truck?
And if Federal was so big and bad they would take away my Marijuana card(just joking dont take it serious:D )

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 04:19 PM
lets play the hypithical game... lets just say 396 was in another car wreck, they tow and impounded his car... The officer writing the report or some penicl pusher at the impound yard sees it... or what if your blowing out lots of black smoke ( which in CA is illegal, don't have to smog diesels, yet in CA) they give you a ticket for that... and he just happends to make you pull your hood... sees something thats not koser and calls some one out to have a very close look at the truck. Its happend before, and it will happen again.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Well I look at about 5-10 wrecked cars and trucks a day for work, for insurance companies and police.... never came across something like that:(
Sorry for the jacking the thread mate

Jordy
07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Just give me a call and I'll take care of ya, ya jackass... :D

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Well I look at about 5-10 wrecked cars and trucks a day for work, for insurance companies and policy.... never came across something like that:(
All cars and trucks have to meet a federal emission standard... basicly if you have a diesel truck... what ever it came with for emissions control, you have to keep on it.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Well you don't have too but I get what you're saying:D

Zaairman
07-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Problem is, lots of the diesel trucks come from the factory without cats on it.

Boozer
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
All cars and trucks have to meet a federal emission standard... basicly if you have a diesel truck... what ever it came with for emissions control, you have to keep on it.
I've ditched the cat on almost every vehicle I have ever owned. Never had a problem.
If you're really worried about it weld the heat shields from the cat onto your test pipe.
The cat by itself robs about 10-15% of your vehicles power.

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
then your fine.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I've ditched the cat on almost every vehicle I have ever owned. Never had a problem.
If you're really worried about it weld the heat shields from the cat onto your test pipe.
The cat by itself robs about 10-15% of your vehicles power.
Exaclty... its too cheap not to take out:D

Zaairman
07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Exaclty... its too cheap not to take out:D
Yeeeeep. Got rid of the cats on my 1999 F-150. Gained 2 mpg, and the sound was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. If this truck were to have a cat, it'd be in the trash already.

racecar.hotshoe
07-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I run magnaflow ex K&N airbox I have the edge juice stacked with the Diablo Predator and I still have the cat.And tons of power........:D

Zaairman
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
K&N = Death to Turbos. Go to any diesel forum and ask if they'd buy a truck that has a K&N filter on it, or if they'd run a K&N filter on their truck.

racecar.hotshoe
07-07-2007, 05:10 PM
K&N = Death to Turbos. Go to any diesel forum and ask if they'd buy a truck that has a K&N filter on it, or if they'd run a K&N filter on their truck.
So far so good.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I run magnaflow ex K&N airbox I have the edge juice stacked with the Diablo Predator and I still have the cat.And tons of power........:D
What does it do when you stack the diablo and edge with juice??? What do you goin from the diablo?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Just give me a call and I'll take care of ya, ya jackass... :D
Well answer tha muthafukking phone assclown :D :D :D Call me when you get a minute;)

Jordy
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
That's one of the dumbest things I've seen posted on here. K&N spends millions on r&d and I've run them on every truck I've owned... I sold my 6.5 Chevy with 245K on it and never had a problem.... Have the FIPK on my D-max now with 92K on it, no problems.... I've got a K&N on everything I own with a filter.... :idea:

racecar.hotshoe
07-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks Jordy that what I was thinking.The Predator i use just to do away with the speed limiter......

Xlration Marine
07-07-2007, 05:42 PM
That's one of the dumbest things I've seen posted on here. K&N spends millions on r&d and I've run them on every truck I've owned... I sold my 6.5 Chevy with 245K on it and never had a problem.... Have the FIPK on my D-max now with 92K on it, no problems.... I've got a K&N on everything I own with a filter.... :idea:
Ran into a contractor at work, had a power smoke. Took it to the dealer cuz it was smokin. Tech took off the air filter, put in a swab. Pulled it out and said, engine is shot do to wrong filter. 50,000 miles on it and warrenty was void. And that was put into the system with his VIN, no one would touch it. All this over a filter.
Might be worth a shot to talk to a tech before doing anything that my void the warrenty, or what they look for when fixing a vehicle.

OCMerrill
07-07-2007, 06:02 PM
lets play the hypithical game... lets just say 396 was in another car wreck, they tow and impounded his car... The officer writing the report or some penicl pusher at the impound yard sees it... or what if your blowing out lots of black smoke ( which in CA is illegal, don't have to smog diesels, yet in CA) they give you a ticket for that... and he just happends to make you pull your hood... sees something thats not koser and calls some one out to have a very close look at the truck. Its happend before, and it will happen again.
In CA - Drivers who think the smoke, diesel smell, or noise (yes excessive noise too) can call 1-800-cut-smog and that is the number to CARB. That is the CA Air Resources Board. VERY POWERFUL! More than two complaints and you get to go in for a snap idle test. If your not in compliance you get to fix it. No matter how much it costs and there are fines as well. I know it all to well. I have owned many different Diesel Box trucks over the years and it can happen easily. We have Isuzu's now because they just plain don't smoke.
A commercial CHP will put you in for a mandatory snap idle test as well. By the way these tests come with a full complementary inspection of your truck. Nice guys they are. I just can’t wait for another visit there.:mad:
And (I will keep it big) you can be written or arrested for a FEDERAL crime by a local officer, CHP, DOT, city cop, etc. There are not feds driving around looking for Catalytic Converters but there are many Federal Courts in every state in the union just waiting to process the money out of anyone.:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I want something simple and parts friendly. I just talked to a friend and he has a 04 duramax. He ahs the edge with juice,5" exhaust, and a cold air intake. It devistatess his 35's and will pin you in the seat. He said that he has $1500 in the complete add ons and it doesnt void his warranty. EGT's stay low and he hasnt had any problems at all with it.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I want something simple and parts friendly. I just talked to a friend and he has a 04 duramax. He ahs the edge with juice,5" exhaust, and a cold air intake. It devistatess his 35's and will pin you in the seat. He said that he has $1500 in the complete add ons and it doesnt void his warranty. EGT's stay low and he hasnt had any problems at all with it.
That's exacly what my buddy has on his, does 0-60 in 5 seconds... its fun beating rice burners with a lifted truck:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 06:39 PM
That's exacly what my buddy has on his, does 0-60 in 5 seconds... its fun beating rice burners with a lifted truck:D
Thats what he does:D

Xlration Marine
07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Replace with Cumins????

Milton04
07-07-2007, 07:48 PM
While I don't have D-Max, I put the Gale Banks Six pack bundle kit on my 6.0 liter Excursion. It has a 5" exhaust, a six position programmable computer and I just put the Banks radiator on it so that it will run a bit cooler. I have had it on a chassis dyno and it puts out around 458-462 to the rear wheels with around 920 ft. lbs of torque. I bought the Banks set up because they have been doing diesels for a long time, they offer different packages for your budget and needs and stand behind their product 100%. I am not saying that the other companies are not good, I am just saying that this is what I went with.
As for the K&N filter - this is what Banks told me. If you drive distance of any kind (i.e. highway miles) then do not put a cold air intake on your engine as the factory (this applies to Ford Powerstrokes) set up keeps the heat out which is the death of a diesel.
Good luck, that Duramax is a great engine....
Milton

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Replace with Cumins????
Dodges suck in my book!!!! Im just gathering info before I buy a chevy with a duramax. If I cant get info then I will buy an Escalade :D :D

boatnam2
07-07-2007, 08:08 PM
i would say a good warranty,roadside assistance,and maybe a buddy that owns a tow truck.

Xlration Marine
07-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Dodges suck in my book!!!! Im just gathering info before I buy a chevy with a duramax. If I cant get info then I will buy an Escalade :D :D
Yea well ya better hurry up cuz I'm lookin too. Get mine fixed then trading it in. 3500, that way when some a-hole hits me they won't be in any shape to run away.

Ziggy
07-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I have been looking at trucks and thinking about buying a chevy duramax(2004-2006). I want to doa "on the fly" programmer with 5 inch exhaust and a intake. I am looking for reliability! I have seen alot of stuff that pumps the torque way up. Hp and torque is nice but I dont want to smoke the tranny. What are some of you guys running for upgrades?
1. What Programmers
2. What tranny mods
3. What exhaust mods
STV_Kieth would be who'd I'd contact about diesel performance shhhhhhtuff. ;) :)

HighRoller
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
1.Put a 12" exhaust sytem on it so it sounds like a farm tractor or Apache helicopter:D
2.Put some 22" rims and 48" tires on it
3.36" lift
4.Edge Juice with attitude, propane injection and nitrous along with an extra turbo.
This should keep your truck low profile if you live in Cali because everyone else has one just like it.

Enen
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM
There is a website for Duramax trucks. www.dieselplace.com That is the best source that I know for info on Chevy/ GMC diesel trucks.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
There is a website for Duramax trucks. www.dieselplace.com That is the best source that I know for info on Chevy/ GMC diesel trucks.
Check your pm's.....

djunkie
07-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Leave It Stock And Just Drive It!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

racecar.hotshoe
07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Leave It Stock And Just Drive It!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
Wheres the fun in that.:D

soupersonic
07-08-2007, 06:53 AM
While I don't have D-Max, I put the Gale Banks Six pack bundle kit on my 6.0 liter Excursion. It has a 5" exhaust, a six position programmable computer and I just put the Banks radiator on it so that it will run a bit cooler. I have had it on a chassis dyno and it puts out around 458-462 to the rear wheels with around 920 ft. lbs of torque. I bought the Banks set up because they have been doing diesels for a long time, they offer different packages for your budget and needs and stand behind their product 100%. I am not saying that the other companies are not good, I am just saying that this is what I went with.
Milton
I almost spit beer on the screen when i read this,if you check any diesel forum like the diesel stop or turbo diesel register,Banks is not real popular due to the fact that their electronics are high priced and wont stand behind anything when you lunch your motor.Their hard parts are good tho.
Ive heard the dont use K&N thing before about diesels.Im not sure there was any proof to it. Edge gets my vote for a chip, they do alot of R&D before they release a product. Just remember one thing about ANY chips or programmers,you are your own warranty station :D Any of them that claim they wont void your warranty are lying to you.

Milton04
07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I almost spit beer on the screen when i read this,if you check any diesel forum like the diesel stop or turbo diesel register,Banks is not real popular due to the fact that their electronics are high priced and wont stand behind anything when you lunch your motor.Their hard parts are good tho.
Ive heard the dont use K&N thing before about diesels.Im not sure there was any proof to it. Edge gets my vote for a chip, they do alot of R&D before they release a product. Just remember one thing about ANY chips or programmers,you are your own warranty station :D Any of them that claim they wont void your warranty are lying to you.
Glad you didn't lose any beer I would have felt bad and had to have gotten myself another on your behalf...:D I had heard the same thing about price on the Banks, but when I ordered mine and told the guy that I could get someone elses product for less, he knocked off 20% and shipped for free which put it right in line with everyone else. So Edge, Superchips and others will stand behind their products if you lunch a motor? Thats good to know.
Milton

Screaming Pete
07-09-2007, 09:15 AM
really, k&n = turbo death, i've had mime on the dodge for 350,000 miles:eek: not changing your oil does though

sdpm
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I have heard from a couple of shops around here that they have seen the K&N filters load up the MAS (mass air sensor) with the oil from the filter as well as the throttle body opening and blade. Some people tend to over oil the filter which speeds up the problem. If a little oil is good, more must be better!:D

ekbearly
07-09-2007, 09:33 AM
SCT is the best and safest programmer for a diesel. It is faster than the EDGE which is faster than Banks. Definitely go with SCT.

Run_em_Hard
07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Even thought I am not a Chevy man I will shead some light here...
The edge juice w/attitude is the best of the best. Not the most power and not the most expensive but the best all around. It has tranny protection so if you have the dealership install it it won't void your warranty. It will give you tonz of power. Has a display that gives you complete on-the-fly ajustment and every reading you could ever want, 1/4 mile, 0-60, EGT... You don't need 5" exhaust, I have it though. You can support 500 hp with 4", and actually my 5" is quieter in the cab than the 4" I had(less cab drone). Now on the K&N thing, I won't run one in my diesel but lots do, some with sucess some without.
BTW edge has one of the best warranties known to man. They do have problems but they fix the problems with little if any questions.

Baja Big Dog
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Is that in Northern, or Southern MEXICO..because in the U.S. diesels come with Cats.:eek:

Run_em_Hard
07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Is that in Northern, or Southern MEXICO..because in the U.S. diesels come with Cats.:eek:
Dodges don't...they come with resonators(sp?). Legally you do not need one if not equipt from the factory. You also don't need to have a muffler. All you need is "1" mufflering devise, in Utah a turbo is a mufflering devise.

BowTie Rick
07-09-2007, 10:38 AM
LOL, the diesel forums are worse than this place when it comes to BS being flung about. A certain "other filter company" has sponored the sites with $$ and has so called experts (sales people) giving out advice. Therefore, what you read on them must be true :idea: As for oil on the mass air sensor, what the video links here. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm Nope, no R&D being done at this company. :D

79centurion
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
K&N had a recall on one of their filters for a diesel because it would suck it in and destroy the turbo. They changed designs and havent heard any problems since from anyone.
Dan

Run_em_Hard
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
LOL, the diesel forums are worse than this place when it comes to BS being flung about. A certain "other filter company" has sponored the sites with $$ and has so called experts (sales people) giving out advice. Therefore, what you read on them must be true :idea: As for oil on the mass air sensor, what the video links here. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm Nope, no R&D being done at this company. :D
Me and you have done this before...but what fun is keeping quiet:D
I go to my diesel forums, I am religious to 4 different ones, for diesel stuff just as I come here for boat stuff. Not the other way around.

ekbearly
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
For those who say the EDGE is the best... do your research. I had the EDGE and it is nice, but does not have true tranmission controls. It does not re-program the vehicle computer like a custom tuned SCT does. The transmission controls are very weak. Go with an SCT and you will have much more horsepower while improving the safety on your parts. As with any upgrades, be prepared to pay if you play. Your stock truck isn't meant to handle the extra horsepower. You will need head studs and an upgraded transmission if you play too hard.

Run_em_Hard
07-10-2007, 04:40 AM
For those who say the EDGE is the best... do your research. I had the EDGE and it is nice, but does not have true tranmission controls. It does not re-program the vehicle computer like a custom tuned SCT does. The transmission controls are very weak. Go with an SCT and you will have much more horsepower while improving the safety on your parts. As with any upgrades, be prepared to pay if you play. Your stock truck isn't meant to handle the extra horsepower. You will need head studs and an upgraded transmission if you play too hard.
I know that the Edge installed at the dealership will NOT void the factory warranty due to the fact that it has the tranny protection.

ekbearly
07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
EDGE, Banks and SCT will all not void the factory warranty. The dealer has to prove that the add-on caused the problem in order to void it. That is the law. However, if you really do your research, you will find out the difference between a custom tuned programmer (SCT) and a ddrop-in chip like the EDGE. A chip can only control so much. A programmer can control everything and is much safer on your transmission. The EDGE isn't awful... just not the safest option (or the most powerful). Go to www. dieselgarage.com and you will see what I mean.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-10-2007, 04:15 PM
1. What Programmers
2. What tranny mods
3. What exhaust mods
get the 07
they look hot
almost like the ford / titan:D

blown65
07-10-2007, 04:25 PM
By the time the Banks and Edge see tranny slippage and backdown its already done its damage. Just gotta be careful with the higher settings. (I'm not familiar with SCT at all) Go to www.dieselplace.com tons of info there.
As for the test on the trucks cause of smoke, woopeedoo. Just flip your edge chip back to 0 and its stock.
As for stacking diablo with an edge chip. I did that on my 05 and it had terrible surging thru the turbo. I personally liked the power with the Diablo better but I wanted to change on the fly power settings for times of towing vs unloaded.
Air intakes are fine unless you have too much oil and they coat the air sensor. Thats usually why ppl end up with issues with them. Personally I liked my Volant intake the best, its all sealed and you can run a hose to it for cooler air intake.
Exhaust wise, I didnt really notice any gain in power taking the Cat off my 05. Just leave it and straight pipe it. Unless you want it really loud then your going to have to remove the cat.
One warning about Edge chips, quite a few on the boards had issues with them shutting the truck down. They have been trying to fix the issue and last I checked it was still an issue. That would be very scary towing a heavy boat and have zero brakes. Also if you have a newer truck in the LLY version you will probably have to shim the fuel rail cause the stupid pressure relief will get screwed up.

Run_em_Hard
07-11-2007, 04:48 AM
I agree with Blown65 on the beingfully adjustable. I love rolling up to someone and being able to turn the chip up and not have to ask them to pull over so I can download a programmer.
Stacking chips can work great. Just make sure you don't have to timing boxes or you can/will have problems. I am not a duramax man but I know on the Cummins the Smarty/Redline stack is the best.

Zaairman
07-11-2007, 06:02 AM
My 2000 Powerstroke has NO cats from the factory. The no muffler part? Well, thats not so factory. :D

Inked
07-11-2007, 06:53 AM
go to dieselplace.com
you will learn all you need to know on how to mod a diesel truck.
Im running 4" straight pipe from turbo back, volant cai, superchips flashpaq and 456 gears....
runs fast, strong and reliable..

Inked
07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34722&stc=1&d=1184165629
:D

STV_Keith
Wow, lots of great disinformation in this thread! ;)

Jordy
Wow, lots of great disinformation in this thread! ;)
No kidding. I'm pulling the K&N and Edge garbage off my trruck right now!!! :mad:

HitIt
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
I had a K&N on a Ford Ranger I owned quite some time ago. I had to clean the MAF sensor quite a few times. Always wondered if it was the K&N since it never did it before I installed the filter. I always suspected it was due to me over oiling the filter. I wonder if all of the K&N is bad for your motor talk is due to over oilers like me?

BowTie Rick
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I had a K&N on a Ford Ranger I owned quite some time ago. I had to clean the MAF sensor quite a few times. Always wondered if it was the K&N since it never did it before I installed the filter. I always suspected it was due to me over oiling the filter. I wonder if all of the K&N is bad for your motor talk is due to over oilers like me?
If you have had to clean it a few times, 2 things could have been happening. More than likely, the silicone potting compound in the sensor was breaking down and running onto the thermistor. Ever had an MSD 6AL go south for the very same reason? The other source could be blow by. How many times have you heard people complain about oil mist seeping or blowing out their valve cover breathers? In a closed system like a car or truck, it goes into the air intake tube to be burned up through combustion. Shut the vehicle down and any vapor will condense inside the tube and that is where the mass air sensor is located. Think about this. A typical replacement filter has about 2 oz of oil on an area about the size of a t-shirt. Pour a shot glass of oil on an old t-shirt and let it soak in. Then blow air on it at 12 MPH and see if that gets the oil off of it. Yep, 12 MPH is the speed of air through the filter at WOT; at 55 MPH cruise speed, it is only 4 MPH. Not until the air actually enters the throttle body does it accelerate (approx. 90 MPH). At the filter, it is barely moving. Why do race cars use scoops? Its to accelerate the air to a higher speed further down the line from the engine.
BTW, Jordy I like the garbage truck comment :D Sort of hits home when I take out the trash and forget to put it in the dumpster and drive around with it all day :)

slowasscp
07-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I just checked the SCT livewire web site and i didnt see a programmer for the D-max. Im thinking of going with EFIlive thats the most control of the trans and engine.

Jordy
07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
If you have had to clean it a few times, 2 things could have been happening. More than likely, the silicone potting compound in the sensor was breaking down and running onto the thermistor. Ever had an MSD 6AL go south for the very same reason? The other source could be blow by. How many times have you heard people complain about oil mist seeping or blowing out their valve cover breathers? In a closed system like a car or truck, it goes into the air intake tube to be burned up through combustion. Shut the vehicle down and any vapor will condense inside the tube and that is where the mass air sensor is located. Think about this. A typical replacement filter has about 2 oz of oil on an area about the size of a t-shirt. Pour a shot glass of oil on an old t-shirt and let it soak in. Then blow air on it at 12 MPH and see if that gets the oil off of it. Yep, 12 MPH is the speed of air through the filter at WOT; at 55 MPH cruise speed, it is only 4 MPH. Not until the air actually enters the throttle body does it accelerate (approx. 90 MPH). At the filter, it is barely moving. Why do race cars use scoops? Its to accelerate the air to a higher speed further down the line from the engine.
BTW, Jordy I like the garbage truck comment :D Sort of hits home when I take out the trash and forget to put it in the dumpster and drive around with it all day :)
There you go bringing facts into a thread that's brimming with bullshit from a bunch of people who are experts because they saw something on the internet, or their neighbor's former college roomie's brother's ex-girlfriend's dad ACTUALLY had it happen to them. :notam:
Your facts are worthless here Filter Boy!!! :D :D :D

HitIt
07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
There you go bringing facts into a thread that's brimming with bullshit from a bunch of people who are experts because they saw something on the internet, or their neighbor's former college roomie's brother's ex-girlfriend's dad ACTUALLY had it happen to them. :notam:
Your facts are worthless here Filter Boy!!! :D :D :D
Hope this wasnt in reference to what I said. If it was, reread my comment...

STV_Keith
07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Hope this wasnt in reference to what I said. If it was, reread my comment...
Filter Boy = Bow Tie Rick.

BowTie Rick
07-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Filter Boy = Bow Tie Rick.
:D :D :D
They call me "Filter Nazi" here at work since I say yea or nea to sponsorships :devil:
:D :D :D

02HoWaRd26
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Well my duramax made 403 hp on the dyno with ATS 4" ex, Edge stage 5 and airraid intake my buddy did a little work on the tranny when they installed the bully dog trans kit and it ripps, I also have a test pipe for when i wanna be loud and obnoxious that removes the muffler and dumps it straight down behind the axel no noticable power gain but it is definately louder.

02HoWaRd26
07-11-2007, 11:54 PM
As well Chevy will void your warranty with a K&N filter in there the oil plugs one of the sensors and messes abunch of stuff up, according to my local dealership.

LOWRIVER2
07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I left my intake stock. I respect the K@N but since I run sand hwy in Glamis, I need the defense of a enclosed box over the extra HP of an aftermarket filter. For street use, I'd go with a aftermarket cold intake anyday but with sand, a Diesel needs all the protection it can get.
I did the RBP (PPE) programmer/RBP exhaust on my 06 LBZ/35" tires. Very pleased witht the results pulling a Cat 268B skid steer or my toybox.
Side note on the Dealer B.S.
One of the hose clamp bolts was rubbing my brake line (metal line) , from the factory in the engine compartment. It rubbed through at 12k miles and the service manager tried to blame it on my lift(!) After showing him that the lift had nothing to do with a bolt hitting a line in the ENGINE compartment, they fixed it in warranty.
Some GM service managers are trying to be like their Ford counterparts (I had a P-Stroke before, I know all about those guys blaming everything other than the engine/lol).

BowTie Rick
07-12-2007, 08:29 AM
As well Chevy will void your warranty with a K&N filter in there the oil plugs one of the sensors and messes abunch of stuff up, according to my local dealership.
Lowriver2 is right. Why warranty something you can blame on the customer? I'll say it again. Check out this link and be sure to watch the videos. You will be surprised. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

blown65
07-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Lowriver2 is right. Why warranty something you can blame on the customer? I'll say it again. Check out this link and be sure to watch the videos. You will be surprised. http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
Its not usually the filter from them thats the issue. Its when the customer cleans it, then over coats the filter with oil it becomes an issue. My dads H2 did the same thing when he got a little happy with filter oil and caused the Mass Air sensor to go wacky. Damn truck wouldnt even idle for shit.
All three of my dmax trucks had aftermarket air filters and none of them had an issue.

shmuck2002
09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
The best upgrade for your Duramax is to pull it out and put in a PowerStroke =)
Just kidding... I had to throw that one in there... game on gentlemen :)

77charger
09-30-2007, 11:13 AM
396 you need to get the 20s first:D then worry about the rest.
as for the filters it aint no secret i dont think the k&ns work for very dusty-sand enviroments.for the street they are fine!! for sand heavy dirt oiled foam.(in my uses of k&n properly cleaned oiled they still let sand thru even with outerwares.)same thing for my brother his banshee carbs always had sand same goes for his craptor with an airbox but he wont learn yet,:confused:
street i stick to paper,dirt is foam