PDA

View Full Version : So I've been getting my G78.2 on ...

superdave013
07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
haha, I know that will get Brian to look. Yes that is a real canned cycle (Y axis threading). I am happy to report that I'm getting this thing figured out. :D
http://www.sweetperformance.com/photo/albums/userpics/DSC02119.JPG

Ralph Brunt
07-07-2007, 05:15 PM
good deal, now sell me some more stuff :D

superdave013
07-07-2007, 06:14 PM
good deal, now sell me some more stuff :D
you and your pops going to Long Beach tomorrow?

BrendellaJet
07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Dave those things look nice, Now all you need to do is figure out how to keep the annodize from fading!

wsuwrhr
07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice, SD, nice,
Good work young grasshoppaaaaaaaaaa......you learning well.
In time you be young Jedi.
You should be using G72/G71/G76 cycles.
G78 must be your Y axis like you said, I don't have one of those new fangled machines. My Mori nospeakade Y axis.
Part looks very nice sir.
I just got back from a day of running a thousand dollars worth of conduit, wire, and air-lines, pretty.
6 AM till 10PM
Bedtime.
Brian

wsuwrhr
07-07-2007, 10:10 PM
BTW, if those are -6 or -8 Holley fuel inlets, send me a dozen. You know the address.
It will save me time making my own, the shit that is available looks like dogshit.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
07-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Cool Dave. I bought threading deal but have yet to try it. I just make farm parts anyways.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_1887.JPG

superdave013
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
BTW, if those are -6 or -8 Holley fuel inlets, send me a dozen. You know the address.
It will save me time making my own, the shit that is available looks like dogshit.
Brian
These have been on the market for 4 years. I just started making them in house but they are nothing new. They are for holley carbs and are -6. The -8 are longer so the nut clears the bowl bolt.
I'll send you as many as you want. But do you want 12 of each or 12 of one size? I need to know so I can get you a total and rack your credit card before shipment. ;)

superdave013
07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Cool Dave. I bought threading deal but have yet to try it. I just make farm parts anyways.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_IMG_1887.JPG
good to see you making parts with your lathe. You should try some theading. Single point threading can get fun on a hand machine. But once you get it down you'll be up on most.

Moneypitt
07-08-2007, 12:43 PM
good to see you making parts with your lathe. You should try some theading. Single point threading can get fun on a hand machine. But once you get it down you'll be up on most.
Try 3 start threading.............What type cnc lathe has a Y axis.....MP

superdave013
07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Good work young grasshoppaaaaaaaaaa......you learning well.
In time you be young Jedi.
You should be using G72/G71/G76 cycles.
G78 must be your Y axis like you said, I don't have one of those new fangled machines. My Mori nospeakade Y axis.
G72/G71/G76 is so 1985. lol Really I did the -6 end with a G76. And you are correct, G78.2 is the same as G76 but for the Y axis. Don't ask how long it took to teach that to myself!
All in all I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I already have some changes in mind. For the part, program and set-up.

superdave013
07-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Try 3 start threading.............What type cnc lathe has a Y axis.....MP
Yeah, I bet that would be fun on a handle machine. Most guys can't single point any type of thread. I'll say most of the wiz bang cnc programers couldn't do it. Now on the cnc it should be no big whoop.
You hand crankers that really know how to do it all are getting more rare as the years go by. Hat's off to ya and the art that's getting lost. I'm glad I got the basics down on manual machines. I wish I would have worked in the trade as learing on my own has been a (fun) challange. Now my shop is next door to a machine shop that's owned by a real nice guy in his late 70's. He seems to like to teach and I like to learn. Of course he's not the cnc guru but know his way around a chucker lathe like no other. I'm lucky that he's taken a liking to me.
I picked up a swiss style gang lathe. Here is a cool video of the next size smaller making a nifty part.
http://www.ganeshmachinery.com/index.asp?pageID=242&prodID=23&video=true

wsuwrhr
07-08-2007, 01:48 PM
I dont recall the inlets looking like yours.
I guess I will have to check them out.
These have been on the market for 4 years. I just started making them in house but they are nothing new. They are for holley carbs and are -6. The -8 are longer so the nut clears the bowl bolt.
I'll send you as many as you want. But do you want 12 of each or 12 of one size? I need to know so I can get you a total and rack your credit card before shipment. ;)