PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a 454 Chevy Block?

Mid-life Crisis
07-07-2007, 06:54 PM
The carnage continues!! I need another block for the K-boat. I figured I'd try the boards before I start shopping. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Buy this and sell the tranny...:)
says 50,000 miles and 4 bolt main (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/364588313.html)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Another possibility
San Diego area (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/pts/366555140.html)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-07-2007, 07:43 PM
check these here (http://www.recycler.com/automotive_parts/advancedsearchresults.classified?start_date=&end_date=&class=4580&radius=&zip=&adsperpage=15&minprice=&maxprice=&price=&keyword=454&type=boolean)

Roaddogg 4040
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Steve.... Can you tell us what happened?
Steve

Firecracker
07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you've been taking it in the ass for the past few months! :devil: How does it feel? :D

Firecracker
07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Are you positively sure you need a new block? :confused: Have you had more than one person/ engine builder check it out? :idea:

Mid-life Crisis
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Sounds like you've been taking it in the ass for the past few months! :devil: How does it feel? :D
LOL! Now I know what it feels like to be YOU!!:devil: :eek:
The engine had an oil starvation problem, which is still unknown as to why... It snapped the No. 1 rod and broke the piston, the No. 5 rod shows extreme heat and was ready to let go. That piston is done as well. The cylinder wall in No. 1 is cracked pretty good and it might be able to be re-sleeved but I'm just going to start over. The cam and valve train is all good. The crank may be salvageable. Its getting maged right now and will know more next week. The oiling problem may have been caused by a bad fitup to the oil pump but I don't know yet...

Firecracker
07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
LOL! Now I know what it feels like to be YOU!!:devil: :eek:
The engine had an oil starvation problem, which is still unknown as to why... It snapped the No. 1 rod and broke the piston, the No. 5 rod shows extreme heat and was ready to let go. That piston is done as well. The cylinder wall in No. 1 is cracked pretty good and it might be able to be re-sleeved but I'm just going to start over. The cam and valve train is all good. The crank may be salvageable. Its getting maged right now and will know more next week. The oiling problem may have been caused by a bad fitup to the oil pump but I don't know yet...
Hey now! There is nothing wrong with a woman who likes a little luvin' from behind! :eek: :rolleyes:
I would still try to save that block... As long as the work is done right (and not by a dumb ass) you should not have a problem. If anything it would be good to get it fixed, and it keep around for a spare in a pinch.
Good luck. And I think it is safe to say you are an official member of the Break Out Another Thousand club!

howardcruzr
07-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I've got a two bolt block with forged crank, peanut port heads, old edelbrock intake block is good shape but needs to be bored.
$200 and for another $100 I will throw in a dooley v-drive pan ;)

VDRIVERACING
07-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I know this is no time to talk about money... but you might want to consider an aftermarket block (Merlin, Dart, etc). There's a lot more material to allow more builds, and more material to save it if a rotating part lets go.
Since it costs just as much to machine and set up a Chevy or an after-market block, for me it made sense to invest that initial machining money in a stronger piece.

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I have a Gen4 2 piece rear main seal 4 bolt 454 .060 over ready to assemble with your parts. $500.00
Lee
559-352-1309

Mid-life Crisis
07-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I know this is no time to talk about money... but you might want to consider an aftermarket block (Merlin, Dart, etc). There's a lot more material to allow more builds, and more material to save it if a rotating part lets go.
Since it costs just as much to machine and set up a Chevy or an after-market block, for me it made sense to invest that initial machining money in a stronger piece.
I hear ya on the better pieces. It's one of those deals that if I had all the money in the world I would put the very best of everything into this thing and I do have some very good stuff in it. Some the best, some not the best. It is hard to want to compromise on anything. The big question is, and it changes with anyone you talk to is which parts can you go cheaper on. Now that I've experienced an oiling problem. I'm looking at the more expensive oil pumps... the list is endless but the bottom line is that these engines don't last very long when they're pushed anyway so were in an uphill battle from the start!!:)

Roaddogg 4040
07-09-2007, 09:51 AM
That really sucks. I guess that these thigs happen to everyone but it is really hard when it happens to you in stead of someone else... I will be going through the same thing this fall with a new engine too...
Steve

hemijr
07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
hey mid life crisis
I HAVE A BLOCK 2 BOLT STD BORE AT THE MACH SHOP. I GAVE THE SHOP 2 SETS OF CAPS AND ARP BOLTS. THEY ARE HALF DONE CONV. CALL ME I AM IN ORANGE. ROBERT 606-7775

tpmarine.com
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a complete 454/496 ready to install...$13,000.00.
Includes Manifolds, carb, flame arrestor, coupler & bell housing...:)
JE pistons & rings
AFR 305 Heads
Scat Crank & Rods
Can dyno for you if you prefer...:)
Feel free to call me at 505 345-3760 or email me at donbaca@tpmarine.com

sdpm
07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
What bore size do you need? I have a few 4 bolts.

Mid-life Crisis
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I need a std. size bore. The end result will be .030 over but I'd like to be able to bore it to the actual piston sizes.

Squeezing Spectra
07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Mine is std and will go 030 no problem. :D

watergun4u
07-09-2007, 10:33 PM
hi neil, I was just wonderif you have a .30 over short block ready to go, and how much if you have one, thanks tye:D