PDA

View Full Version : wanted carb and dist

marty722
07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm on my project boat and need a dist and carb for a 460 ford... Don't want to spend alot of money. If you have one to sale please let me know.
Thanks
maybe we can work out a trade as I have a nice laptop with a DVD burner...:eek: :eek:

GofastRacer
07-07-2007, 07:50 PM
What are you looking for in a carb, maybe I can help???..

marty722
07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
To be honest anything that would work.... I'm just going step by step to get the motor running. Compression is good, Getting fuel to the carb but no spark and the carb is dry, So I'm just looking for anything cheap to get it running. After everything checks out and I know the motor is good then I'll go for the good stuff.... :) :)
I have alittle cash and also a nice dell laptop that I can trade if someone is interested... Thanks for the interest....

GofastRacer
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Getting fuel to the carb but no spark and the carb is dry...
Hey Marty, let's not panic here just think a bit, you say you don't have any spark??, that is an ignition problem, what do you have now???. Now you say you have fuel to the carb but it's dry????, I take it the float bowls are dry???, something is blocking fuel flow, what kind of carb do you have on it now???.. This may be a simple fix!...

marty722
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey Marty, let's not panic here just think a bit, you say you don't have any spark??, that is an ignition problem. Now you say you have fuel to the carb but it's dry????, I take it the float bowls are dry???, something is blocking fuel flow, what kind of carb do you have on it now???..
Its a holley 600 I think.... I'm not good at all with carbs and this boat has been sitting for 7 years so I think it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as spark I can get a shock from the coil wire but no spark to the dist... I might be stupid when it come to this but I did learn alittle in autoshop :idea: :idea:
I've work out a deal with a ***boater for a carb and dist.... Again thanks but before I spend any big money on this I just want to make sure the eng is good.. Compression is good, I just had the tanks dipped and I'm gettting fuel to the carb so the fuel pump is working but it just won't go into the carb if this makes sence... Thanks again for your help... Marty PS I'm not in a panic as I'm having a good time doing this and learning alot....

adaml
07-08-2007, 02:51 AM
Just throwing in my .02 I have had that problem where I had no spark to the Distributor, but plenty out of the coil. Changed cap rotor even complete distributor. It ended up just being the coil was weak.

GofastRacer
07-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Well after 7 years sitting the carb would need a rebuild, fuel not getting into the carb is probably a stuck/plugged needle and seat, and I agree a weak coil will cause that problem!..

marty722
07-08-2007, 08:22 AM
yes I'm going to replace the coil also.
Thanks for all of the info

BUSBY
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I have an 850 double pumper for sale, ready to go ... $250 ... came off of a running enigne 3 weeks ago ... call me if you're interested
Brian 949-678-3650
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x306/busby061/6-1.jpg?t=1182980645

79centurion
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I have a holley carb(either 600-650 would have to check) and a dist for a 460. Dist is the dual point marine style(similar to the mallory dual point). Just pulled the dist to upgrade to MSD. Let me know if you are interested.
Dan

marty722
07-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all of the offers but I get the motor running today and I think I'll just rebuild the carb I have. Thanks again for the help form all of you ***boaters....

marty722
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Just throwing in my .02 I have had that problem where I had no spark to the Distributor, but plenty out of the coil. Changed cap rotor even complete distributor. It ended up just being the coil was weak.
You were right the coil was bad..... They want 250 to rebuild my carb... Thats eems alittle high so I'm still searching for a carb...