PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil problem?

UltraJet
07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,
Not sure how serious my problem is but I need some advice. I have milkshake around the valves/ breathers and tinges of shake on the dipstick on occasion. Boat has OT headers and begin to mist water as early as 1000rpm. Boat mechanic told me recently that they shouldn't be wet until 2000rpm?? I am also getting some oil blowing out of the breathers but not alot. I've read a lot of old threads on this subject and not sure how much of a problem I really have. Any ideas on where I should start?? I usually bring my boat to a mechanic but they are booked and can't check it out for a month:jawdrop:

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,
Not sure how serious my problem is but I need some advice. I have milkshake around the valves/ breathers and tinges of shake on the dipstick on occasion. Boat has OT headers and begin to mist water as early as 1000rpm. Boat mechanic told me recently that they shouldn't be wet until 2000rpm?? I am also getting some oil blowing out of the breathers but not alot. I've read a lot of old threads on this subject and not sure how much of a problem I really have. Any ideas on where I should start?? I usually bring my boat to a mechanic but they are booked and can't check it out for a month:jawdrop:
1500-2k is about when you want them to start injecting water... check your T valve and make sure the spring / ball inside are working ok...
If you can wait til tuesday I would be morethen happy to take a look at it... I'm just down the road in Fair oaks.

pw_Tony
07-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Could be a bad head gasket, or maybe a bad intake gasket, possibly warped intake.
Or your pump is pushing too much PSI of water through your motor and forcing itself in the oil, if you don't have a dump valve or some kind of regulator.
Just a few things

sleekvino
07-08-2007, 06:53 AM
do you have any water droplets coming out of your headers,or is it just a little steam?

UltraJet
07-08-2007, 11:02 AM
do you have any water droplets coming out of your headers,or is it just a little steam?
I would say I definitely have water droplets spraying out of the headers as low as 1000rpm. After the boat has been running a while it mists at idle??? I ran the boat the other day. Boat seems to run pretty cool as well, never above 120. Is this normal?? Oil pressure is good, boat runs great, I just get nervous when I see milkshake tinges on the dipstick.:idea:

DelawareDave
07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
There is also the possibility the oil isn't getting hot enough to "burn" the moisture out. Condensation can make the oil in the valve cover area look milky.

UltraJet
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Ok, here's a pic of what I got, hopefully it may yield some info. Seems very similar to what Bassett recommends on their website. The only thing is I can't kind find any "adjustable" valve(ie. gate valve) anywhere on the line. Unless the valve sitting below the Basset-T is it??? Should that nut adjust at all??? Sorry, I'm still learning.:confused: Any ideas???:idea:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/596/IMG_2625_1_1.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/596/IMG_2624_1_1.JPG

VAMI
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
that looks like a 4 way with a plug in it.does your headers have little holes on the bottom of the tubes as it comes of the ports? if it does i have always heard that there should not be hardly any water dripping out of those.try them dry and see what happens. is there any valve between your pump and the 4 way?120 is cold put a valve off that pump and warm up your engine try to get 160 or more.if that is a plug lokks like 1/2 pipe get a bushing down to 1/4 and put in a pressure gauge.

VAMI
07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
also put in a valve going to your headers so you can controll that water and shut it off when the lake cops leave

UltraJet
07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
that looks like a 4 way with a plug in it.does your headers have little holes on the bottom of the tubes as it comes of the ports? if it does i have always heard that there should not be hardly any water dripping out of those.try them dry and see what happens. is there any valve between your pump and the 4 way?120 is cold put a valve off that pump and warm up your engine try to get 160 or more.if that is a plug lokks like 1/2 pipe get a bushing down to 1/4 and put in a pressure gauge.
No valve anywhere in the line up to the 4-way. Headers do have little holes that wheep water. What kind of valve should I put in the line? Some kind of "shut-off" valve. Where would you put it(ie. at the intake or down in the bilge area somewhere between??)

Cas
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
there should be a valve on the tube coming off the pump. From there, the water line goes to a tee then each side goes to the water pump ports on the front of the block. The water then comes out the thermostat housing with one side going to a valve then to the overboard dump. The other side goes to the Bassett tee with each side going to the headers.
To set the water temp, adjust the valve at the pump to the desired temp ( I have mine set to 180º at idle).
To set the header injectors, use the valve at the overboard dump. The best way I found was to back the boat into the water, open the valve all the way, disconnect one of the lines to the headers, fire the engine, bring it up to about 1800 rpms and slowly close the valve until you get some water coming through the line. I then raised the idle up to 2500 and slowly lowered it to make sure the water shut off about 1800 rpms or so.
did that make sense?
here's a pic of mine, not pretty but it works well-
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/casengine.jpg
then again, I'll be going with the Banderlog valve to eliminate all the hassles very soon.

UltraJet
07-09-2007, 07:57 PM
there should be a valve on the tube coming off the pump. From there, the water line goes to a tee then each side goes to the water pump ports on the front of the block. The water then comes out the thermostat housing with one side going to a valve then to the overboard dump. The other side goes to the Bassett tee with each side going to the headers.
To set the water temp, adjust the valve at the pump to the desired temp ( I have mine set to 180º at idle).
To set the header injectors, use the valve at the overboard dump. The best way I found was to back the boat into the water, open the valve all the way, disconnect one of the lines to the headers, fire the engine, bring it up to about 1800 rpms and slowly close the valve until you get some water coming through the line. I then raised the idle up to 2500 and slowly lowered it to make sure the water shut off about 1800 rpms or so.
did that make sense?
here's a pic of mine, not pretty but it works well-
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/Cas2006/84%20Bahner/casengine.jpg
then again, I'll be going with the Banderlog valve to eliminate all the hassles very soon.
Here's a shot of the hose coming in from the pump. I don't see any adjustable valve here?? The dump line connection is set up exactly the same. Nothing to adjust manually???
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/596/IMG_2626_1_1.JPG

GunninGopher
07-09-2007, 08:22 PM
How cold are you running?
I had the same situation and I put a little restriction on my intake line to heat it up and it eliminated the problem. I just got a good in-line valve from the garden section of Home depot and leave it wide open. That was enough. The part says "goodyear" on it, so it must be the shazit, right? hehehehe

Cas
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
UJ,
You will need to remove the rubber hose and install a hard line, 3/8" pipe thread, I believe, with a 3/8" to 1/2" fitting on the engine side of the pipe. You will then be able to put a 1/2" gate valve on the pipe and then reconnect the rubber hose to it.
I just tried looking for a picture of the set-up but couldn't find one.

YeLLowBoaT
07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I think I have a spare gate valve... I'll do some looking tomarrow.

Cas
07-09-2007, 09:32 PM
finally found a picture! This one has a pressure relief in line after the valve-
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20070311_IMG_0001.JPG
and it looks like YB will have you covered

pw_Tony
07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Ok, here's a pic of what I got, hopefully it may yield some info. Seems very similar to what Bassett recommends on their website. The only thing is I can't kind find any "adjustable" valve(ie. gate valve) anywhere on the line. Unless the valve sitting below the Basset-T is it??? Should that nut adjust at all??? Sorry, I'm still learning.:confused: Any ideas???:idea:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/596/IMG_2625_1_1.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/596/IMG_2624_1_1.JPG
Does anyone know where I can find an Alternator Bracket Like THAT ONE?

VAMI
07-10-2007, 06:10 AM
I swear iv seen those in the cp catalog .Thats a factory merc style

UltraJet
07-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Well, with the help of YellowBoat I put in a gate valve at the pump and replaced the ball/spring in the Bassett-T. Old spring was busted, which would explain why so much water was going through the headers at idle, etc. Excitedly took the boat out today and wow what a difference! The headers don't seem to get wet 'till I'm on plane and even then it's just seems like steam. Water used to pour out of the small holes by the injection lines and today they were pretty much dry as a bone. Does this seem legit? Is there enough water getting to the headers? I know water is getting through 'cause it's going out of the dump line as it should. Guages all look good and boat ran terrific. The "clanking" noise I had at idle is now gone as well:D Weirdness??? It is definitely alot warmer back there now!

OverKill
07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
You should have water coming out of the headers at about 1500rpm. I set mine to come out at 1700rpm. No matter what you do, your still gonna get a little water coming out of the weep wholes. Also IMO stay away from Ball Valves, use gate only. IMO you see where your temp. sending unit is in front of the manifold, that is where your Basset T-valve should go. There should be an alternate plug on the manifold for the temp. sending unit. Also IMO you should not use a thermostat. Now that you have and entrance valve from the pump, do you have an exit valve to the the water dump. This is what gives you the balance of water you want to run through the headers and the dump, the T-Valve only regulates when you will get water to the headers. It sounds to me like you 86ed the T-Valve, if so that is a no no. Good luck and happy boating.
OverKill

centerhill condor
07-15-2007, 03:10 AM
nice lookin' set up!

Jetaholic
07-15-2007, 06:37 AM
It sounds to me like you 86ed the T-Valve, if so that is a no no.
OverKill
They didn't get rid of it. They replaced the spring in it because the old one was busted, which was why he was getting water to the headers all the time.

UltraJet
07-15-2007, 07:08 AM
They didn't get rid of it. They replaced the spring in it because the old one was busted, which was why he was getting water to the headers all the time.
Thanks for helping me clear that one up.:) The only thing I didn't do is put a gate valve at the dump. I decided not to do that since there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on that even though Bassett recommends it.:idea: The consensus was pretty clear that a gate valve should be put at the intake(pump). I'm just not sure if enough water is getting to the headers. Those weep holes beneath the tubes were pretty dry.:idea: Boat sure ran better than it ever has though!:D Thanks you guys for all of your help!;)