PDA

View Full Version : Marine distributor?

jungledave
07-08-2007, 06:26 AM
I am almost finished with my 454 rebuild and need to get a new distributor. I am running a regular accel GM HEI in my olds but was thinking of getting a marine mallory or marine petronix for the chevy. I can buy the gm style hei unit the cheapest and know I can always get parts for it. Any ideas or opinions out there?

tbanzer
07-08-2007, 09:00 AM
If it is an enclosed engine compartment I would highly recommend a marine distrtibutor. Gas fumes and sparks not a good combo. I used a Mallory single point marine distributor for years without any issues. When it was time to replace the points I bought a module from Pertronix and it droped right in place of the points for an economical electronic conversion.

Jetaholic
07-08-2007, 10:15 AM
MSD marine distributors are great as well. I've got the ready to run one on my boat with the 6M-2 marine ignition box and it fires my motor right up no questions asked.

jbone
07-08-2007, 08:40 PM
MSD marine distributors are great as well. I've got the ready to run one on my boat with the 6M-2 marine ignition box and it fires my motor right up no questions asked.
I have this dist. also. The beauty of this MSD dist. is it does NOT the MSD box to run. Mine is currently installed w/o the box. May add it later.
J

curtis73
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
I have to put a plug in for the Pertronix. I've used Mallory's in two 454s for the street and hated them both. They exhibited symptoms of shaft twist; both of them lost 2 degrees at peak RPM with the mechanical BRAZED shut. I just put a pertronix in a 355 for my boat and so far I LOVE it. It comes with clear choices for springs as well as mechanical limiters for various advances from 0 to 24 degrees. Nice stuff. Plug and play. I've only had the new one up to a gentle 4000 until I break it in, but so far its top notch.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
MSD Pro Billet Marine Ready To Run, no box (I can add later if I want) and the high-vibration (epoxy potted) coil.
MSD Super Conductor supression wires too. :D
Runs perfectly, and the advance curves adjustabiltiy was very well laid out and a lead pipe cinch (real easy).

Jetaholic
07-10-2007, 07:55 PM
The other advantage to MSD's ready to run dist. is if you are running the box and it goes bad, it's super easy to bypass the box and just run from the distributor.

Nmocean
07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I am running an DUI distributor and their live wires and it is a marine distributor

jmherbert
07-12-2007, 07:20 PM
If it is an enclosed engine compartment I would highly recommend a marine distrtibutor. Gas fumes and sparks not a good combo.
Right on. A guy I work with badly burned his arm while working on a boat. Hospital trip, 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over his right arm and hand.
He was lucky, and he knows it. It easily could have been his face instead of his arm.
The distributor was a marine, but it was 15 years old and was not sealed anymore, just like an automotive one. It started the fire.
If your boat ever goes kablooey, and your carb, fuel pump, distributor, flame arrestor, etc. are not USCG approved, (or meet their standards) your insurance WILL NOT cover anything.

GAWnCA
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
If it is an enclosed engine compartment I would highly recommend a marine distrtibutor. Gas fumes and sparks not a good combo. I used a Mallory single point marine distributor for years without any issues. When it was time to replace the points I bought a module from Pertronix and it droped right in place of the points for an economical electronic conversion.
Ive got a Mallory duel point distributor in my 454 and would like to get away from the points and go the electronic way. Can you tell me what to look for?
Thanks.

tbanzer
07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Ive got a Mallory duel point distributor in my 454 and would like to get away from the points and go the electronic way. Can you tell me what to look for?
Thanks.http://www.pertronix.com/index.htm

Paul128a
07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I dont know if this out of topic, but I run an MSD billet on my 350 Chevy in the boat. The distributor has a vacuum advancer.
I usually set my timing with the advancer disconnected, and set it at 36 degrees at 3,000rpm. I reconnect the advancer after.
The other day I check the timing and with the advancer connected, I was hitting 55 degrees at 3,000rpm.
Whats the proper way to set timing? Should I still use the advancer?
Thanks

Big Inch
07-26-2007, 10:24 AM
The other advantage to MSD's ready to run dist. is if you are running the box and it goes bad, it's super easy to bypass the box and just run from the distributor.
Give you give a how-to on this?