PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Boats

socalmofo
02-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Are they really as bad as people say on here?
I test rode in one today and it rode great and felt really stable. The gel looks good, the fades look good etc.
Are all the negative comments about Genesis directed only to the owners character or is it that he does not build a quality boat?
I would be buying it through a dealer so the after sale needs would be addressed.
I would like to hear more about the quality of the boat as opposed to the owners reputation.
Any genesis owners out there?

UnionJack
02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a buddy with a 25' and no issues with them or the boat.

Hardly Satisfied
02-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I think that they are made here in riverside ca ,don't know are close you are from them?

Jyruiz
02-16-2006, 01:08 PM
I think that they are made here in riverside ca ,don't know are close you are from them?
Yes, they are of where the 91 and the 60 meet. I checked them out when I was shopping, the boats looked real nice.

throwerb
02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
A lot of people slam other boats because their noses are too high in the air. Bottom line is if the boat works for you and you percieve that it is a good value for you F em.
Well said.

UHHH SUCKA
02-16-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm on my 2nd. one now from them, had the 23' and now have the 29'. Both are very well built and no problems with either one of them. My buddy also has one of their 25's and is also very happy with it. Have seen quite a bit of their gel coat work and looks really nice. Cool guys over there with great customer service.

Jyruiz
02-16-2006, 01:38 PM
A lot of people slam other boats because their noses are too high in the air. Bottom line is if the boat works for you and you percieve that it is a good value for you F em.
One of my friends had the 18 foot Genesis and he liked it. They outgrew it and moved up to an Essex.
Right on!

prop check
02-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a 251 and I am very pleased with it and all the follow up service I received.I am currently trying to sell it to buy another Genesis. I had a wonderful time dealing with Joel and the rest of the team over there.

jbtrailerjim
02-16-2006, 02:00 PM
It's good to hear they are treating people good. There boats look like pretty nice. I've talked to Joel and he seems like a good guy but I don't care how good of a boat they build. I will NEVER EVER do business with company owned by Jerry Van Beek!

NOTALENT
02-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I was talking to the guy the does the gel for ultra and orion at the boat show and he said his nephews owned genesis...??? Is this incorrect???

Artv
02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Are they really as bad as people say on here?
I test rode in one today and it rode great and felt really stable. The gel looks good, the fades look good etc.
Are all the negative comments about Genesis directed only to the owners character or is it that he does not build a quality boat?
I would be buying it through a dealer so the after sale needs would be addressed.
I would like to hear more about the quality of the boat as opposed to the owners reputation.
Any genesis owners out there?
If you don’t mind me asking what dealer are buying the boat from. My brother and his partner just opened a Genesis Dealer in Peoria Az. One of the owners does have a bad reputation, now Joel and Israel are both stand up guys to deal with..

UHHH SUCKA
02-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I was talking to the guy the does the gel for ultra and orion at the boat show and he said his nephews owned genesis...??? Is this incorrect???
Something like that.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I've actually never heard anything bad about Genesis in terms of the boats themselves. I have heard the same sentiments echoed by JBTJ regarding the owner and based on hearing the same things, I would not own one either. But that is my choice.
Their 25 is the old Virage mold which is used by at least 3 builders that I know of. That does not mean it's a bad boat though. As Dilligaf said, if you like it and it fits your needs, go for it.

prop check
02-16-2006, 02:09 PM
I believe the gel coater you are speaking of is related to the Casillas family.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Joel, I believe, used to do the gelcoat work for Essex. And yes, he is related to Martin from Ultra. The Casillas family is well involved in the So. Cal boating scene.

NOTALENT
I believe the gel coater you are speaking of is related to the Casillas family.
I think thats the one...he was the one on the boating tv show....

Havasu_Dreamin
I think thats the one...he was the one on the boating tv show....
That would be Martin.

NOTALENT
02-16-2006, 02:12 PM
That would be Martin.
Thats the one.... :rollside:

Jyruiz
02-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Not bad for a Clipper fan, huh :)
I had a Commander prior to my Shockwave and have always taken my boats to the same shop for service. Well, while I am in there a Hallet pulls up...dirty as shit. Anyhow, I am in there and have to go get something and on my way back in I hear the Hallet owner tell the shop owner to "Get that ****ing Commander out of the way" It wasn't the shop owner that had a problem with my Commander as they had always taken care of my boat just like it was a Hallet, DCB, Eliminator, etc. I asked the guy if that was his Hallet. He said yes and I told him maybe he might want to clean that ugly bitch. He was shocked to hear it from me and tried to be friends after that. Just another stuck up boater. Seems to be more of them these days than ever before. Sign of the times I guess.
By the way...before my Commander I owned an Eliminator
Nope, not bad at all. Just remember, I am a Clipps fan as well, just a little more of a Laker fan than a Clipps fan. I started watching BB in 1979/80, but I like BB so much, I was glad to see the Clipps move to LA back in 84, it meant more BB to watch and became a fan.

UHHH SUCKA
02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
If you don’t mind me asking what dealer are buying the boat from. My brother and his partner just opened a Genesis Dealer in Peoria Az. One of the owners does have a bad reputation, now Joel and Israel are both stand up guys to deal with..
Joel, Isreal, & Rudy are the brothers and great to deal with. Dealt with Jerry and has always been cool with me.

voodoomedman
02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
You're right but I also believe that Jerry Van Beek owns part or somehow has a major part in it. That is the guy with the bad reputation. As far as quality then you are starting in the right place by asking questions about the actual quality and leave other stuff out. You also want to get in one of the boats and crawl through the sucka and see how it is put together. Wood screws, quality of rigging, not just the gel graphics but how well the glass and the gel are actually laid up etc... But for me reputation is a big thing. If someone is prone do doing underhanded things to people it also makes me think of what corners are cut in the boat build among the other things wrong with that. But ultimately make your own decision on what you think is right and if you pull up next to me in a cove I'm glad to drink a beer with you. I personally would never buy a gayliner but that is my opinion. I'd party with a guy in a gayliner no problem and would not put my nose up at him.

UHHH SUCKA
02-16-2006, 02:59 PM
You're right but I also believe that Jerry Van Beek owns part or somehow has a major part in it. That is the guy with the bad reputation. As far as quality then you are starting in the right place by asking questions about the actual quality and leave other stuff out. You also want to get in one of the boats and crawl through the sucka and see how it is put together. Wood screws, quality of rigging, not just the gel graphics but how well the glass and the gel are actually laid up etc... But for me reputation is a big thing. If someone is prone do doing underhanded things to people it also makes me think of what corners are cut in the boat build among the other things wrong with that. But ultimately make your own decision on what you think is right and if you pull up next to me in a cove I'm glad to drink a beer with you. I personally would never buy a gayliner but that is my opinion. I'd party with a guy in a gayliner no problem and would not put my nose up at him.
Good Attitude.

BoatPI
02-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Genesis FACT+++++++++++++=
!. The company has gone through a series of owners during this past year or so.
2. Casillas brothers are NOT owners.
3. Jerry Van Bek is NOT the primary owner. It is a corp, Jerry's sister is a corporate officer!!
4. Around a year or so ago they purchased engines and drives from a wholesale firm. They NEVER paid for the thousands of dollars in engines, and I would presume installed them in new boats. The place switched owners, interesting timing, moved to the current location in Riverside. All involved parties pointed fingers at each other about the scam Merc engines/drives.
5. Has history repeated itself?????????????
Just the facts, all available online, federal court civil case, CA State Attorney General corp filing website. Check it out. Not my opinion, u form yours, all facts no BS.

MAINEVENT
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
My cousin has their 25 or 24 whatever it is he was happy with their service and the outcome of his boat I have yet to see or ride in it.. But what do i know i own a jet boat :rolleyes: :rollside:

Edmond
02-16-2006, 04:25 PM
My friend has a 2004 22ft, he has been very happy with the boat and with the customer service....I have been in his boat and it rides nice, the Gel work also looked good.

ROZ
02-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Is Van Beek the guy who was in a law suit with Ultra?

jbtrailerjim
02-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Genesis FACT+++++++++++++=
!. The company has gone through a series of owners during this past year or so.
2. Casillas brothers are NOT owners.
3. Jerry Van Bek is NOT the primary owner. It is a corp, Jerry's sister is a corporate officer!!
4. Around a year or so ago they purchased engines and drives from a wholesale firm. They NEVER paid for the thousands of dollars in engines, and I would presume installed them in new boats. The place switched owners, interesting timing, moved to the current location in Riverside. All involved parties pointed fingers at each other about the scam Merc engines/drives.
5. Has history repeated itself?????????????
Just the facts, all available online, federal court civil case, CA State Attorney General corp filing website. Check it out. Not my opinion, u form yours, all facts no BS.
Nice! This sounds like the kind of company I would want to go spend $60k plus with on a new boat. :rolleyes:
If they do these type things to their vendors, anyone who thinks they would never screw under a customer is nuts.
I personally like to make big ticket purchases from a company who I feel is going to stay in business and is legitimate. What good is that warranty on the high dollar boat should that company go under and the owners disappear? That warranty is worthless then! I'm not saying they are gonna go under but when you here stuff like this, it is a bad sign.

voodoomedman
02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Is Van Beek the guy who was in a law suit with Ultra?
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong and hopefully SnakeWrench doesn't kill me for this but....
Jerry Van Beek was the original owner of Ultra. He built great boats but started with the unethical stuff. John West had bought a dealership in San Diego and when Van Beek started having troubles and turning Ultra's name into crap then John West bought the company and obviously turned it around and still makes it better on a daily basis. I don't think there were any lawsuits with John though. Here is the lawsuits I think you are talking about.........
There were bare hull dealers. That is where cobra stemmed from as well as lightning. Jeff Bohn was the bare hull dealer in Montclair and while you bought a bichen mold from them cuz it was done in San Diego then the rigging and upholstery and such were not always up to snuff. There was a huge difference in boats. This is obviously bad for the Ultra name so now John only has Ultra boats built by his factory to ensure quality and uniformity. When he broke ties with Bohn then Bohn still built some Ultra splashes and slapped the Ultra name on them. That is when John took him to court and won. If they still make them then like the 22 footer and 24 footer I think were Ultra splashes for a while. If not the exact same design then very close but I'm not sure which ones and Ultra now has the Stealth and the Shadow line so there is no comparison anymore. Cobra was born and they now make a pretty sweet boat it's just Jeff's past that concerns me as well as any Van Beek related boat company.
Lightning is owned by Jason Van Beek which is Jerry brother or son or something. They were west coast Ultra and I think a bare hull dealership but John sold them the Lightning molds and that is who they are now. No more Ultra's or ties with Ultra's.
Any Ultra's now are only built in San Diego. Inland Ultra is owned partly by John West and Big John D. and is a factory direct dealership. Haynes Outdoor in Virginia is also a factory direct dealership. No more bare hulls.
In my humble opinion if John West, with his great reputation and the things he has done for me, doesn't do business with somebody there's a pretty damn good reason for it and I would think twice about doing business with that person.

rivercrazy
02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I heard John West SOLD those molds to Cobra and Lightning.....

voodoomedman
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I heard John West SOLD those molds to Cobra and Lightning.....
Read my post above that's the jist of it. Molds sold to Lightning. Basically sold the lightning name and line. Cobra was different story. I guess my post was too long.

KineticoH20
02-17-2006, 12:28 PM
You would be absolutley amazed how many of the above mentioned people are still doin business together. Like most industries the players usually stay the same, they just trade hats!

Mrs.HLB1
02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Love our 23ft Genesis. Never had any problems with the performance or quality of the boat. There customer service is one of the best and it was done on time!! Buy what you like and feel comfortable with. You would be suprised with what other boat dealers they work with..
Pm or call with any other questions.
Mrs.HLB

ROZ
02-18-2006, 03:11 PM
That is when John took him to court and won.
I guess I heard wrong, then... I heard the Von Beeks won some kinda case against ultra :cry:

BoaterX
05-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Anyone know if they have a website....can't seem to find it.

BoaterX
05-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Called up the store and asked about a website. They referred me to www.openthrottlemarine.com
Spoke to Jerry Van Beek and he says He and Jason are 50/50 owners and own both Lighting and Genesis.

RitcheyRch
05-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Sure sounds like a soap opera.