PDA

View Full Version : buy diesel in az and register in ca question

clubmyke
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
hi,
new to the forums here and was wondering how i can buy a new diesel jeep in arizona and register it in california ?
any suggestions or insight would be appreciated... btw, are there any loopholes with insurance ?
thanks!!!
mike

Xlration Marine
07-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Why?? Is that thing cheaper over here? If I remeber right, you will have to pay tax (ouch) over there. If it's new that is, from a dealer. And I'm sure you will have to take it in to the DMV for an inspection pluss the smogggg test. Providing it is leagal in California. I would make sure it passes every thing before you buy it.

clubmyke
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
it is NOT legal in CA.... thats the kicker.. can i do this with a dual residence ?

YeLLowBoaT
07-08-2007, 12:22 PM
My guess is no.

broakshores
07-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Two years ago I bought a used VW Diesel in AZ that I drove back to SoCal and registered with no problems. I just had to pay the CA Reg fees and the difference between AZ sales tax and CA sales tax. They key word is used. CA DMV has some strict guidelines on buying new vehicles out of state only to drive them instate and register just to circumvent paying taxes or avoiding CA smog certified vehicles. I know you wanted something new but maybe a nice lease return or demo that you could bring in as "used" would fit the bill.
I spent some time reviewing the DMV site before I tried this.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

OCMerrill
07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Two years ago I bought a used VW Diesel in AZ that I drove back to SoCal and registered with no problems. I just had to pay the CA Reg fees and the difference between AZ sales tax and CA sales tax. They key word is used. CA DMV has some strict guidelines on buying new vehicles out of state only to drive them instate and register just to circumvent paying taxes or avoiding CA smog certified vehicles. I know you wanted something new but maybe a nice lease return or demo that you could bring in as "used" would fit the bill.
I spent some time reviewing the DMV site before I tried this.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm
I would not mind having a VW Toureg with a V-10 Diesel. It's currently only going to be a 45 state car when it's released with the diesel shortly. Not to be sold in CA. But I have read AZ is a go.
So I also would like to know if its possibe?

totenhosen
07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
My understanding with the diesel is you have to have 7k miles on it before you bring it in. It can be done. Talk to someone over at tdiclub.com