PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between the V10-vs-V8

code8
07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Other than 2 extra cylinders what is the main difference regarding power, gas mileage and towing. We are interested in getting a Class C RV (24') in the future and was wondering which engine package to get. We will be towing our boat (21 foot/ approx. 4000 pounds) back and fourth to the river. I was told the V10 has smaller cylinders and not as good as a V8 for towing and gas mileage. Is the V8/ 454 a better engine package. I was alway's under the impression that more is better (2 more cylinders). Is this correct?
Any imput would help out.:)

acatitude
07-08-2007, 06:08 PM
well I know if your talking horsepower or boobs ...... more is always better:D

ratso
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Bigger is always better, or at least that's what DA always says.;)

came along during the sunk boat thread
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
the ford v10 will more than likely get better mpg than the gm 454
the v10 is a smaller (6.8 vs 7.4) motor.
I've got the v10 in my 250 and have no problems towing 10ooo lbs

code8
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
the ford v10 will more than likely get better mpg than the gm 454
the v10 is a smaller (6.8 vs 7.4) motor.
I've got the v10 in my 250 and have no problems towing 10ooo lbs
What do you think the gas mileage may be between both engines?

OCMerrill
07-08-2007, 06:14 PM
If New? Used you will really have to get older to find a 454 Chevy in a C.
In class C you have two real choices: I am talking factory chassis here. Not a Haulmark type toter.
Ford with an E-450 and a V-10 (and a diesel but low HP version)
Chevy (now modified by Workhorse) and a 6.0 Gas V8
Both of these have a 14,050 GVWR. The Ford has a 20,000 GCWR
Then there is the Chevy C's built on the Kodiak Chassis which are longer and bigger on average than above. Duramax or 8.1 gas but I have read that they will all be Diesel very soon as the 8.1 goes away...for good.
So Ford V-10 in the C is 310 hp and 425 lb ft tq.
The Chevy is (currently) 300 hp and 360 tq.
That extra 65 ft lbs will come in handy.
We have a 30 ft C with a V-10. No issues over the past 8 years with anything Ford anyway. 56k in miles driven.

code8
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
In class C you have two real choices: I am talking factory chassis here. Not a Haulmark type toter.
Ford with an E-450 and a V-10 (and a diesel but low HP version)
Chevy (now modified by Workhorse) and a 6.0 Gas V8
Both of these have a 14,050 GVWR. The Ford has a 20,000 GCWR
Then there is the Chevy C's built on the Kodiak Chassis which are longer and bigger on average than above. Duramax or 8.1 gas but I have read that they will all be Diesel very soon as the 8.1 goes away...for good.
So Ford V-10 in the C is 310 hp and 425 lb ft tq.
The Chevy is (currently) 300 hp and 360 tq.
That extra 65 ft lbs will come in handy.
We have a 30 ft C with a V-10. No issues over the past 8 years with anything Ford anyway. 56k in miles driven.
Good Info-Thank you!

DMOORE
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
A buddy of mine has a win-a-bagle with the Ford v-10. It tows a 24 ft enclosed trailer loaded with toys all the time out of the Desert and up the 8 frw. No problems at all. It actually does very well. He is most likely towing 7000lbs or more.
Darrell.

OCMerrill
07-08-2007, 06:24 PM
What do you think the gas mileage may be between both engines?
Mileage will swing wildly with many factors driving it up or down.
Head Wind?
Towed load?
Speed of travel (makes a big difference, slower = more mpg)?
We tow our 21 ft lavey from OC to parker. Drive 65 max. Not hurried. I usually get about 7 mpg.
Head wind going home through whitewater, grades, etc. usually 6 1/2 mpg.
A 24' might be ok for the 6.0 but I have one of thise engines in my 2500 HD and it is not a steller performer.

vee-driven
07-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Your mileage will suck either way, but fun isn't measured in miles per gallon so just get the body style you prefer and there is way more ford chassis class C rv's than chevys.

cc322
07-08-2007, 07:47 PM
The V10 is a work horse no matter what, It is a great motor you cant go wrong.

gfinch
07-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Itasca 27'11", C class, V10, 8.3mpg. Tried to keep it below 65mph. To Lake Shasta and back. Most of the time didn't know the 20' Allison bass boat was back there.

boatnam2
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
They pull pretty much the same both get shiity gas mileage towing,except the v-10 gets shiity mileage not towing also.Both will run for a long time if taken care of.Both will tow a 21ftr like its not even there but wind will always be your enemy.Niether will tow like a dsl or get anything close to the the gas milage but since that really isnt a option yet no need to argue about it.

Xlration Marine
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
7 mpg, wow thats bad. We renty a 28' bago with the 454 and were getting 13 mpg. And no not towing but 80% up hill from Mesa To Flagstaff and then up into Colorado and Utah. I here the v10 ford is a good puller, man that mpg suck's.

dunaholic
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
If your worried about gas mileage, you really should maybe look at a Honda hybrid and not a motorhome.

Seadog
07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
The diesels are best for a lot of mileage, but the catch is that on a lot of chassis, they are not turbo'd due to space restraints.

YeLLowBoaT
07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
The v10 and fords chassis are much better then the chevy power/ chassis..
The ride is night and day between the two...

code8
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
I have two chevy's right now. I guess we should look into a ford rv.

acatitude
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
32 winabago class a 454 chevy got 10-12 mpg pulling my 26 howard and I disagree on ride and performance. Id take the chevy over the ford any day.. just my .02:D

MBlaster
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I'd strongly recommend skipping the C and get yourself a 2000+ A class with the updated V10, F53 chassisand a big slide. You won't be sorry. C class RV's suck.

OCMerrill
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I'd strongly recommend skipping the C and get yourself a 2000+ A class with the updated V10, F53 chassisand a big slide. You won't be sorry. C class RV's suck.
They don't suck if you want sleeping capacity. The little 225-75 16" tires suck azz though. They are the only deal for a small rig. Were talking 24' here.
We bought a C because just about every Ford dealer can handle the issues. It's a freaking van. With A's it's a bit more complicated. Like, where in the hell is that piece of plywood with the fuel pump relay screwed to it?:)
It was also cheaper new and still that way for the most part.
We will eventually move up to an A but it will be a pusher and who knows when that will be.
Oh, and any 454 Motorhome getting 13 mpg...sure!:D I will wager a beer on that any day.:)

THOR
07-09-2007, 06:43 AM
If new, the extra $$ you will spend for the Chevy Workhorse is not worth it. I have had a few motorhomes and find the Ford V10 to work very well. In fact, I put the Banks package on the last one and it did great. Save the money on the hype for the workhorse and spend the extra dough and window shades to keep you cool at the river. Just my opinion.

Baja Big Dog
07-09-2007, 07:30 AM
The diesels are best for a lot of mileage, but the catch is that on a lot of chassis, they are not turbo'd due to space restraints.
They are turbo'ed, but they are not intercooled.....

OCMerrill
07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
They are turbo'ed, but they are not intercooled.....
And only like 230 HP and tq is the same as the v-10 just lower in the rpm band.
A diesel in a E-series C ties one to the stupid propane generator or a very expensive small diesel unit which is very heavy. All this extra weight subtracts from the CCC of the unit to. This is why you never see a 30+ foot C with a Diesel engine option.
Again...excluding the Kodiak based C's.

MBlaster
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
They don't suck if you want sleeping capacity. The little 225-75 16" tires suck azz though. They are the only deal for a small rig. Were talking 24' here.
We bought a C because just about every Ford dealer can handle the issues. It's a freaking van. With A's it's a bit more complicated. Like, where in the hell is that piece of plywood with the fuel pump relay screwed to it?:)
We will eventually move up to an A but it will be a pusher and who knows when that will be.
Oh, and any 454 Motorhome getting 13 mpg...sure!:D I will wager a beer on that any day.:)
I can sleep 5 comfortably in my 01 southwind 32V.
Any ford truck dealer can work on the F53 chassis.
My first rig was a 24 ft too.
There are some killer deals on rigs like my A but yea they are more expensive than a C class. But worth every penny more. You get levelers, 2 a/c's, slide, BEDROOM, more carrying capacity and a BEDROOM...
I wanted a dp too but couldn't justify 80K.
When you decide to go A just make sure you get the 2000 or newer to get all the F53 updates and the better V10.
If you can swing the cash the 05's have the superior 5 spd tranny. When I sell the southwind in a few years I'll probably look for a 05.

MBlaster
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
There are some killer deals on rigs like my A but yea they are more expensive than a C class. But worth every penny more. You get levelers, 2 a/c's, slide, BEDROOM, more carrying capacity and a BEDROOM...
When you decide to go A just make sure you get the 2000 or newer to get all the F53 updates and the better V10.
If you can swing the cash the 05's have the superior 5 spd tranny. When I sell the southwind in a few years I'll probably look for a 05 Ford. Workhorse is nothing but problems.

OCMerrill
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
If you can swing the cash the 05's have the superior 5 spd tranny. When I sell the southwind in a few years I'll probably look for a 05 Ford. Workhorse is nothing but problems.
I do have the very first year V-10. A 98 coach on a 97 chassis. Only 265 HP in my year. One thing I can say though is this thing has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The Ford part has not fawked up a once.
We always run at 20K GCWR as well towing the boat or the Jeep and even the E40D trans is hanging tough. I will find wood to knock on.
I do agree the latest F-53 rasied chassis with the 3V - V-10 and their new 5 sp trans makes for a nice coach. I would take it over a Workhorse chassis any day and in most all new coaches you have the choice if you order one.

MBlaster
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I do have the very first year V-10. A 98 coach on a 97 chassis. Only 265 HP in my year. One thing I can say though is this thing has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The Ford part has not fawked up a once.
We always run at 20K GCWR as well towing the boat or the Jeep and even the E40D trans is hanging tough. I will find wood to knock on.
I do agree the latest F-53 rasied chassis with the 3V - V-10 and their new 5 sp trans makes for a nice coach. I would take it over a Workhorse chassis any day and in most all new coaches you have the choice if you order one.
Keep an eye on the plugs. The early v10 had the 4 thread plug hole. They were known to grenade out of the head. In 00 Ford fixed that.
Yea the E4OD is the weak link in my rig too. Really need one more gear between 2nd and 3rd. The 5spd is the shiznit.
A buddy put gear vendors on his E4OD and he fly's up the hills.
I don't know if I'll do that, we love the rig but will probably upgrade again in a few years. Till then I'm not in that big a hurry to get to the river.