PDA

View Full Version : Body of missing boater recovered

sunsoaker8
07-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Body of missing boater recovered
By DAVID BELL
Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:55 PM MST
Rescue divers recovered the body of a 21-year-old man that died following a single-boat accident on Lake Havasu Saturday.
Mohave County Sheriff's Office divers, assisted Lake Havasu City Police Department, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office, U.S. Fish & Wildlife and BLM Rangers, retrieved the body of Jeremy Conklin, of Felah, Wash., Sunday at 2:33 p.m.
Conklin's body was found close to the scene of the crash, in the north basin, about one-mile east of Windsor Beach launch ramps at Lake Havasu State Park. SBCSO's sonar unit located the victim.
The crash occurred at 4:14 p.m. Saturday. A 72-year-old Lake Havasu City man was at the throttle of his 1992 Awesome 30-foot Daycruiser, and was traveling southeast at a high rate of speed, when he made a sharp turn to starboard.
That sharp turn, which MCSO officials said was due to heavy boat congestion in the area, caused the boat to roll and eject the driver and five passengers.
The operator and four of the passengers were rescued by Good Samaritans and brought in to Lake Havasu State Park for transport to Havasu Regional Medical Center. The fifth person - Conklin - failed to surface.
Two of the injured were classified as needing immediate medical attention while the other three were less-seriously injured.
The identities of the victims were not released. Lake Havasu City Fire Department personnel said the injured included one woman and four men.
MCSO was able to recover the boat Saturday and bring it into shore for further investigation. The vessel is reported to have suffered “significant damage.”
Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash. No charges have yet been filed and investigation is ongoing. An autopsy has been scheduled.
It's the first death on the Colorado River between Needles and the Parker Dam this year. Last year there were six fatalities on the river and Lake Havasu.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Body of missing boater recovered
By DAVID BELL
Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:55 PM MST
Rescue divers recovered the body of a 21-year-old man that died following a single-boat accident on Lake Havasu Saturday.
Mohave County Sheriff's Office divers, assisted Lake Havasu City Police Department, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office, U.S. Fish & Wildlife and BLM Rangers, retrieved the body of Jeremy Conklin, of Felah, Wash., Sunday at 2:33 p.m.
Conklin's body was found close to the scene of the crash, in the north basin, about one-mile east of Windsor Beach launch ramps at Lake Havasu State Park. SBCSO's sonar unit located the victim.
The crash occurred at 4:14 p.m. Saturday. A 72-year-old Lake Havasu City man was at the throttle of his 1992 Awesome 30-foot Daycruiser, and was traveling southeast at a high rate of speed, when he made a sharp turn to starboard.
That sharp turn, which MCSO officials said was due to heavy boat congestion in the area, caused the boat to roll and eject the driver and five passengers.
The operator and four of the passengers were rescued by Good Samaritans and brought in to Lake Havasu State Park for transport to Havasu Regional Medical Center. The fifth person - Conklin - failed to surface.
Two of the injured were classified as needing immediate medical attention while the other three were less-seriously injured.
The identities of the victims were not released. Lake Havasu City Fire Department personnel said the injured included one woman and four men.
MCSO was able to recover the boat Saturday and bring it into shore for further investigation. The vessel is reported to have suffered “significant damage.”
Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash. No charges have yet been filed and investigation is ongoing. An autopsy has been scheduled.
It's the first death on the Colorado River between Needles and the Parker Dam this year. Last year there were six fatalities on the river and Lake Havasu.
just terrible news

RiverRatMike
07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
terrible, people really need to slow down. :confused:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know if this was Bernie & Carol Wadekamper !!!!
Bernie the Havasu "Whipple Guy" ??
This sounds like Bernie's 30' Awsome Cat.....
This is terrible news....
CJG
:confused:

Wmc
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I think it is. I call Tom G he was going to call Bernie. Tom was with Bernie Thurs and Bernie had family down from Wash.

waterboy
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
that is who it was .i helped load them unto the sea-tow boat:(

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I think it is. I call Tom G he was going to call Bernie. Tom was with Bernie Thurs and Bernie had family down from Wash.
Just spoke to Tom.....
He's calling Carol now....
This is terrible news....
CJG
:(

MBlaster
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Thats a GD shame.
Thoughts and prayers...

Wmc
07-08-2007, 09:27 PM
how old did the female look? and who went to the hosp?

Jyruiz
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow, that is horrible.

waterboy
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
an older female blood in her hair but she was standing on the front of the boat the older man was just laying on the back of the boat not moving to much, helped a guy in 30's get into the boat he was in alot of pain but coherint.(sp)?

Wmc
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks for the update
this is very bad sound like Bernie and Carrol and family
a very sad day RIP Jeremy

USCFAN
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
What a terrible accident.

Kilrtoy
07-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Ok, help the rest of us, WHO ARE THEY.
RIP THE YOUNG MAN THAT DID NOT MAKE IT.

Throttle
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
a seatow boat dropped 4 peeps at the dock where stevo's used to be, turned around and I assume returned to the scene of the incident. I did not see anyone meet them at the dock.

Marty Gras
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
"River Rat Mike" "let he who is perfect cast the first beer bottle". (if it is Bernie and Carol) Bernie may have a hearing problem, but he's a smart guy. He knows when and where to go fast and slow. We don't know all of the facts yet. There may be an eyewitness who will come forward with new information. In rough waters, any cat boat can have "turning problems". I heard that he was trying to avoid another boat/ski crossing his path. Our prayers go out...

Throttle
07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
the guessing game of what happened and how it happened, should be put to a stop right here and now... nobody here should be passing judgement.
it is tragic, thoughts and prayers....

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-08-2007, 11:11 PM
the guessing game of what happened and how it happened, should be put to a stop right here and now... nobody here should be passing judgement.
it is tragic, thoughts and prayers....
Sup Bro....
Long time no see....
This is very sad news indeed.....
My heart breaks for Bernie & Carol....
Hope to see you soon...
CJG

Throttle
07-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Sup Bro....
Long time no see....
This is very sad news indeed.....
My heart breaks for Bernie & Carol....
Hope to see you soon...
CJG
Hi stranger... doin good here... wuz talkin bout you several times this past week on da water... I thought I saw you once... no confirmation:idea:
sad news indeed, tell the fam I said hi, see you soon. stay safe!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah....
Was in Havi last weekend, then left on Monday......
Haven't been out for 5 months or so.....
Been busy with little man hockey.....
Going to Saudi Arabia on Friday for a week....joy?.....:rolleyes:
Hope to see Havi sometime in Aug though....
Will blog from Saudi if possible...
Nite Bro....
CJG

ultra26shadow
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
terrible news prayers to the family I must have just missed the accident I was around that area at that time it happened

JetBoatRich
07-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Terrible accident:sqeyes:
R.I.P.