PDA

View Full Version : Sad reminder of CO dangers, Little girl dies at Lake Powell

Magic34
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Seems pretty stupid to wash your hair with the water coming out of the exhaust.
My heart aches for the families involved. Especially with such a big lake and possibly being miles away from help, the thought of being helpless kills me.
Jul. 8, 2007 02:22 PM
PAGE - A 7-year-old Flagstaff girl drowned in Lake Powell after she was overcome with carbon monoxide fumes, the first such death in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area on the Arizona-Utah border in five years.
Megan Evans, 7, was swimming with her friend, Kayleen Tubbs, 7, near two cabin cruiser boats at their campsite on the shoreline of Lake Powell, according to Glen Canyon spokesman Kevin Schneider.
Kayleen's mother, who had been showering using hot water from the boat motor, noticed her daughter unconscious in the water and sinking. She jumped in and rescued the girl, and several people began attending to her.
While Kayleen was being treated, the group noticed Megan was missing and soon found her unconscious at the bottom of about 5 to 10 feet of water.
Paramedics performed CPR on Megan, and both girls were then flown to the Page Hospital. Megan died, and Kayleen lived after receiving intense oxygen treatments, Schneider said.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced by all motors. If it accumulates in the blood, it can cause death.
At the time of Saturday's accident, Schneider said winds were extremely calm, which prevented the carbon monoxide from dispersing.
He said a carbon monoxide-related death hasn't occurred at Glen Canyon since 2002, when a girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning after she and a young friend were washing their hair near the exhaust of a cabin cruiser.
After her friend left to have lunch, the girl was found floating in four inches of water and attempts to revive her were unsuccessful.

Jyruiz
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
That is very tragic, prayers go out to that family.

squirt'nmyload
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
sad to here but why do these people run their engines while people are in the water?? saw it today at pleasant. 6 people in the water floating behind their twin engine boat with it running....wtf!

Magic34
07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
sad to here but why do these people run their engines while people are in the water?? saw it today at pleasant. 6 people in the water floating behind their twin engine boat with it running....wtf!
When at Pleasant, I really watch the wind speed and how it is at the back of the boat while running the generator.

Throttle
07-08-2007, 10:28 PM
really sad to hear this news... thoughts and prayers

LGCDEVIL
07-09-2007, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=Magic34;2660966]Seems pretty stupid to wash your hair with the water coming out of the exhaust.
Probably not exhaust water. I've seen some tournament boats with on board hot water showers that use the engine to heat the water.

RitcheyRch
07-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved.

boats&bars
07-09-2007, 07:10 AM
sad news........ wonder if mom blow drys her hair with the exhaust pipe on the car......

Baja Big Dog
07-09-2007, 07:18 AM
sad news........ wonder if mom blow drys her hair with the exhaust pipe on the car......
LOOKS LIKE CARBIZINDIO IS BACK...
With any luck the mother of this child will read your comment and post here.....maybe after she buries her baby!!!
Try something next time before you hit the "submit" button, read your post and think.....

hoolign
07-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I scratched my post in case they are friends of someone on here! Sad though..very very sad! :(

Mrs. 20
07-09-2007, 07:49 AM
That's just awful:(

famfriend
07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
The mother that lost her child is not the mother mentioned in the story.

Baja Big Dog
07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
The mother that lost her child is not the mother mentioned in the story.
So...