PDA

View Full Version : BBF 750 h.p.?

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
You guys with BBF motors what kind of heads are you running to get 750 + horsepower out of them? Without blowers!

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
You can start with FordMotorsport Super Cobra Jets, BlueThunders(BlueThunderAuto.com),Trick Flow Specialties (TFS) and Jon Kaase.
Those are just 4 popular ones, there are a few others. Oh, Thor may make the best ones?
How many cubic inches are you talking about?
My two BBF's : 512, 10.2:1 comp, Roller cam 710 HP at 6200 FordMotorsport
a-460's / other engine 565, 10.8:1 comp, roller cam FordMotorsport A-460 855 HP at 6,600 rpm's (no bottle, all throttle)
Sleeper CP
Sleeper CP

Ralph Brunt
07-09-2007, 12:32 PM
502 solid roller flat tops tfs streets unported 650hp

RiverRacer
07-09-2007, 12:33 PM
You guys with BBF motors what kind of heads are you running to get 750 + horsepower out of them? Without blowers!
I run Blue Thunder 'B's (BBC exhaust port). 750 realiable hp(or more) will not be a problem as long as you choose the right parts. RR

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I have a 472 now,going to build a 521 or 565,I would like to not break the bank! Are your aluminum heads ported? What are the limitations on h.p. with cast iron heads? Are the victors any good? What kind of lift in your cam?

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
:) Can you list a parts list?

Blown 472
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Might want to check out this site.
http://www.460ford.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=e5e4dbf3f2329bfbfcdb24b46d0f869b

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 01:53 PM
:) Can you list a parts list?
What parameters are you setting? RPM limit,single carb, TR with dual carbs, roller cam, compression ratio etc?
And yes, the heads are ported a lot:D I'm not sure what you can do with the
Victor heads I don't think they'll be on anyones top 3 or 4 list. But other than the Thor heads I don't think you'll do your 750HP with out port work? Why are you trying to save money?:idea: The fact that you mention cast iron heads is a bad sign :( at least to me. There is nothing more important to making horsepower than air flow(even more important than cubic inches). Don't skimp on the heads, a good set of heads will pay you dividends and a bad set will handicap the hell out of you, to the point that it will make you spend more time and money trying to overcome the handicap than if you would have spent the extra money up front on the heads.
Sleeper CP

dmontzsta
07-09-2007, 02:22 PM
You can run factory iron heads and get 750hp. :)

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
that is just it,I can spec what I would like to use but I am wanting to see several different setups that are tried an trure:cool: :cool: I just thought that if you are going to port the heads listed that you would get much more power than 750? I kind of like the single carb simplicity but also like the look of the tr. Are these heads listed still handicapped on the exhaust side? Will just these off the shelf heads be able to use non split duration cams?And the budget thing is because of a big hurdle in my house, the WIFE! They just dont understand why I have to have a set of 3000$ heads:jawdrop: I will probablly have to buy every thing seperate so its easier to hide the real expense:devil:

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Paul was tellin me that he could get 750 from a set of d3s!!!!

VAMI
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
put a good set of aftermarket heads on that same (??750 hp cast iron headed engine??) Im sure there would be a dramatic improvement,not to mention getting 75 80 lbs out of a boat

dmontzsta
07-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Paul was tellin me that he could get 750 from a set of d3s!!!!
no doubt.
Alluminum heads are easier to get the power out of, but I think an iron headed motor making the same power is kick ass. I would find a set of DOOERs at a good price, unless you can get some alluminum heads cheap.
There is just something to be said for using factory parts and kicking ass, alot of people have went away from this and do not have a single factory part, sometimes not even the block. :)

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
That is kinda what I was thinking,If you are going to port :idea:

dmontzsta
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
That is kinda what I was thinking,If you are going to port :idea:
Did you talk to Paul @ High Flow Dynamics about your plans? He might have a kick ass set of DOVEs that would run with the best of them. Or, maybe he has some Iron CJs that he can port.
:) Your wife would be alot happier.

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Make it easy on yourself: Factory block, Aluminum heads. The alloy heads will save you approx 60 lbs off the back of your boat. Yes you can do it with cast iron heads but why:confused: If some else has done it great, I haven't seen it but I guess it's possiable, lots of porting work I would guess. Do you need exhaust port plates?
The TFS and BlueThunder heads have great ex. ports (BBC) style, the FordMotorsport SCJ has Ford ports. If it were my money I would use any of those three before I went the cast iron route. Just my .02.
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
:) Your wife would be alot happier.
Buy her a vibrator with 4 D cells and get the alumi. heads. Then both of you will be smiling.;) :D :jawdrop:
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
You can run factory iron heads and get 750hp. :)
What type of flow #'s are you talking about and do you need ex. port plates?
Sleeper CP

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 03:29 PM
How much is Paul gettin for a set of those bad ass hemi looking heads for the 385 series? Yeah I talked to him,very very cool cat.A welth of information in his head!Best of all he realizes not everyone has a pro stock budget:idea:

pw_Tony
07-09-2007, 03:37 PM
What parameters are you setting? RPM limit,single carb, TR with dual carbs, roller cam, compression ratio etc?
And yes, the heads are ported a lot:D I'm not sure what you can do with the
Victor heads I don't think they'll be on anyones top 3 or 4 list. But other than the Thor heads I don't think you'll do your 750HP with out port work? Why are you trying to save money?:idea: The fact that you mention cast iron heads is a bad sign :( at least to me. There is nothing more important to making horsepower than air flow(even more important than cubic inches). Don't skimp on the heads, a good set of heads will pay you dividends and a bad set will handicap the hell out of you, to the point that it will make you spend more time and money trying to overcome the handicap than if you would have spent the extra money up front on the heads.
Sleeper CP
Dat's RIGHT!:D :D

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Well if it's bad ass Ford Hemi heads you're looking for check out C&C Motorsports at www.candcmotorsports.com Some of the best heads on the market.
Sleeper CP

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Well if it's bad ass Ford Hemi heads you're looking for check out C&C Motorsports at www.candcmotorsports.com Some of the best heads on the market.
Sleeper CP
Those are sweet!

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Sleeper how much do you have in your heads?

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Sleeper how much do you have in your heads?
A lot!:) The old set flows 408 CFM's. The new set that should be on the dyno by the end of the week flow high 440's w/ a 2.40" titanium intake. Both set's have top of the line Isky Tool Room springs, Crower Ti retainers , T&D 1.8 shaft rockers, etc. etc.
Look at the Trick Flow heads out of the Summit Catalog for pricing. Approx. $2,500 complete.
Sleeper CP

IndianaTahiti
07-09-2007, 06:50 PM
those flow numbers are at what lift?

Sleeper CP
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Flow #'s at .750 & .800 . New engine cam spec's .780 gross int.
Check out www.jonkaaseracingengines.com and www.mpgheads.com
Sleeper CP

RiverRacer
07-09-2007, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=dmontzsta;2662263]Did you talk to Paul @ High Flow Dynamics about your plans? He might have a kick ass set of DOVEs that would run with the best of them. Or, maybe he has some Iron CJs that he can port.
I think the point here is that a set of ported DOVE's WON"T EVEN COME CLOSE to a set of good(NO PROCRAPS OR EDS), Aluminum heads with improved chambers, relocated spark plugs, revamped Valve angles, unshrouded Valves and superior as cast ports(without porting). If you're on a tight budget, make sure you earmark an appropriate amount for the best Heads you can possibly afford, even if you have to save a couple more weeks. You'll be glad you did with these engines. Many Aluminum headed 4V engines out there running over 800 hp everyday. RR

DEL51
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I like the P-51 designation, like the Merlin from Bill mitchell. I would go aluminum and go with the best potential for future upgrades.

IndianaTahiti
07-10-2007, 06:13 AM
That is what I wanted to know! If I go aluminum how much power can I get without porting them right away?Cause that expense might have to wait:rolleyes: Which one will net me the best bang for the buck?:idea:

IndianaTahiti
07-10-2007, 06:15 AM
River racer I like what you have to offer on your site,when I am ready might just have to look you up!

LakesOnly
07-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Paul was tellin me that he could get 750 from a set of d3s!!!!I am not positive if this statement refers to me or not, but in case it does, I just want to say that I never claimed to get 750HP from a set of "smogger" D3's...more accurately, I am in the middle of an "excersize" where I am attempting to break the 700HP mark with a par of those heads on a naturally aspirated, carbureted engine.
LO

LakesOnly
07-10-2007, 08:23 AM
You can run factory iron heads and get 750hp. :)Using iron heads, 750 HP can indeed be accomplished on carbs and gas, but there is significant cylinder head rework effort involved along with a well planned engine combination. The builder had better really know what he is doing.
Personally, I like making the iron heads work, but at the HP numbers Indiana T is shooting for on carbs and gas, and seemingly wanting to do this on his own, it would be simplest to get aluminum heads as ultimately the proper aluminum heads for the application will make hitting his mark easier.
LO
p.s. This is not so say it cannot be done with iron...it can, also, port plates not required, and if you are looking at port plates in an effort to squeeze every last iota of HP from a pair of cylinder heads then you should probably be looking at a different pair of heads (or still be running the iron only because you are required to run iron heads due to class rules).

LakesOnly
07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
You can start with FordMotorsport Super Cobra Jets, BlueThunder (BlueThunderAuto.com),Trick Flow Specialties (TFS) and Jon Kaase.
Those are just 4 popular ones, there are a few others. Oh, Thor may make the best ones?
How many cubic inches are you talking about?
Sleeper CPThere are over 25 aftermarket heads for the BBF. As far as which are the "best" heads: there is no such thing. What needs to be selected is the most appropriate heads for this specific build and application. There are several good options in both iron and aluminum, but specifically which pair of heads depends on the rest of the package and the owner's needs.
LO

IndianaTahiti
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Paul,how much flow can you get out of your drag port dove heads? and how much are they assembled?

Sleeper CP
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
There are over 25 aftermarket heads for the BBF. LO
25!! :jawdrop: Where the hell have I been, I quess I would have been able to run off 9-10 , but not 25. Learn something new everyday.
I wish him well with his project, but if he is concerned about a few $ 100 bucks for porting I think he would be better off leaving this project on the back burner. If he is going to cut that corner where else is he going to cut that is going to cause some problems for him.
He might want to consider boring his 460 +.06 or .08 to make a 477 out of it. bumping the compression to 11:1 with a roller cam and the best set of heads he can get with some good porting done to them. If he can't afford the roller cam then a good flat tappet and spend more money on the heads.
I ran a 472 .060 over 460 with Dove-A heads and a roller cam and it really hauled ass maybe he could try that route also.
Sleeper CP

IndianaTahiti
07-10-2007, 11:13 AM
25!! :jawdrop: Where the hell have I been, I quess I would have been able to run off 9-10 , but not 25. Learn something new everyday.
I wish him well with his project, but if he is concerned about a few $ 100 bucks for porting I think he would be better off leaving this project on the back burner. If he is going to cut that corner where else is he going to cut that is going to cause some problems for him.
He might want to consider boring his 460 +.06 or .08 to make a 477 out of it. bumping the compression to 11:1 with a roller cam and the best set of heads he can get with some good porting done to them. If he can't afford the roller cam then a good flat tappet and spend more money on the heads.
I ran a 472 .060 over 460 with Dove-A heads and a roller cam and it really hauled ass maybe he could try that route also.
Sleeper CP
I have a 472 now,I am just in the planning stages for the ather one on the stand.I would like to stroke it just havent figured out which way to go yet.I would prefer to keep the c.r. at or under 12 to 1,probe pistons ,solid roller cam not sure on induction or heads yet.That is why I posted,to let someone convince me one way or another:devil: I do like the thread to the p51 heads! Reality is I will be buying parts slowly.Its not hard to lay out 500 or less without rasing too much suspicion:D

Sleeper CP
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
That is why I posted,to let someone convince me one way or another:devil: I do like the thread to the p51 heads! Reality is I will be buying parts slowly.Its not hard to lay out 500 or less without rasing too much suspicion:D
Remember: your engine, your choice. Your $500 at a time limit maybe a problem. As you can tell from my posts I'm not a big fan of the stock heads. If it were my money I would build a 472 or 477 with Alumi heads with good porting, 11:1 comp and a stought roller cam and good rods before I built a stroker with old, out dated cast iron heads. I think the good airflow on the smaller engine is a better choice than the large engine with lousy heads. Then you'll have the good heads to put on your stroker in 3-4 years.
Also, have you thought about buying a 514 shortblock from Ford Racing?
Good luck on the project.
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I think Sleeper CP and LakesOnly should debate over who's the biggest Ford Junkie:D :D :D

Sleeper CP
07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I'll yield to Lakes. Hell, I can only name 9-10 aftermarket heads he knows of 25. He has me beat by a bunch:) and he does this for a living ,I just like it.
Sleeper CP