PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler Plumbing Advice

ssmike
01-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Anybody have pics of how they plumbed water lines involving an oil cooler...
I just picked up an Olson block mount cooler and am curiuos about the best way to route it.
My pickup is on the cav plate and runs to the front cover (facing driver circle boat style). Basically, the water line would run right past the cooler if I mounted it without plumbing it...
Can I run through the cooler and then to the water pump?
Should I "t" the inlet and go separately to the cooler and water pump?
Should I run water to the cooler after it has gone through the motor?
Does the temp of the water going to the cooler make any difference? (cold lake water, warm through engine water)
(I do have 2 water exit holes and currently only use one)
Discuss

Froggystyle
01-31-2003, 09:44 AM
I am not a v-drive guy, so take this with a grain of salt... but water is going to flow in the path of least resistance. To have a "T" where on one end is a pump, drawing water from it, and the other an at least partially restrictive oil cooler will mean that your cooler will get no water.
I would run the inlet line for your pump right through the oil cooler. For one, this will give your oil cooler the maximum possible amount of coolant potential, as all of the cool water will go through it, and will partially pre-warm your engine water, not a bad thing.
In addition to this making sense, it will make plumbing that much easier.
Squirts up! ( sorry, had to say it!)

Terminal Velocity
01-31-2003, 09:52 AM
ssmike, I run one line off the plate -12 then necked down to -10 to the cooler and then out. The other -12 feeds the motor then one -12 out of the manifold and out. You could tee the one line coming to the motor and then to the pump. But I guess it depends really on what type of driving you will be doing. But IMO the cooler needs it's own water line and out to help keep the temp down. my .02

GofastRacer
01-31-2003, 10:00 AM
I run a #12 from the P/U to the cooler and to the pump, #8 to the motor and a #8 out!..... :cool:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Front_R.JPG

SERIOUS ISSUES
01-31-2003, 10:12 AM
In my wifes biesemeyer we run the pick up off the plates strait to the oil cooler then we go to the water pump. If everything is all ready put together and you are just adding the cooler. run the pick up to the cooler then the cooler to where you have the pick up going to the pump.
We did this to help pre heat the water going to the engine and keep the oil cooler. most of my boats run very cold and this helps a little

GofastRacer
01-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Mine runs at 170 cruising, 190 when I run the shit out of it!.. :cool:
[ January 31, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: GofastRacer ]

Rexone
01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
I think any of the above will work adequately. Running the water through the cooler first if it's going to the engine will give you more oil cooling capability and preheat the water slightly going to the engine (both desireable). The seperate circuit idea works too. I would not tee the inlet off though like Froggy said the cooler will get no water with a pump pulling on the other leg of the tee. :)

superdave013
01-31-2003, 09:16 PM
Terminal Velocity:
ssmike, I run one line off the plate -12 then necked down to -10 to the cooler and then out. The other -12 feeds the motor then one -12 out of the manifold and out. You could tee the one line coming to the motor and then to the pump. But I guess it depends really on what type of driving you will be doing. But IMO the cooler needs it's own water line and out to help keep the temp down. my .02 I do it like you but with -16 pick ups.
I like force feeding it so it's not cooling it unless the boats moving. The harder / faster you run the more water is forced through.

DUCKY
01-31-2003, 10:50 PM
I was just going to mention that. I run my v-drive water and both oil coolers (eng/trans) off a force feeder. Mine picks up, goes through the trans cooler, then through the eng. cooler, the through the v-drive, and out the stuffing box. This keeps the eng. oil from being cooled when idling around.

schiada96
01-31-2003, 10:56 PM
I'm running mine off the pump, after a long hard run I like to get the turbos cooled off and it takes a lot of water to do that. A run from the dam at parker to the 5 mph zone at the Bluewater, man that sounds like fun!

Snowboat
02-03-2003, 04:41 PM
While we're looking at plumbing, let's throw an intercooler into the works. I was thinking, oil cooler to pump to engine, tee'd to supply the engine off of one side of the Magnafow, the other side to overboard dump, and intercooler force fed off of a plate pickup?

DUCKY
02-03-2003, 07:21 PM
I think it would be most important to get the fresh cold lake water through the intercooler first. I would have the pickup go directly to the pump, then to the intercooler then to the engine, and out to a dump. And I still like force feeding my oil cooler(s).