PDA

View Full Version : John Earle - Wildlife Refuge Manager...

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the warning. Now sign up and join the fun. :)
Now I have to figure out what mufflers will work on my boat. Clamp ons won't work with my external steering and I can't make it up to Moabi without them from now on.
I guess my STOCK 496's are too loud. :(

Mandelon
07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Turn one off..... :D

Jyruiz
07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Not sure, but is it too late for silent choice?

Havasu_Dreamin
07-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Not sure, but is it too late for silent choice?
Silent Choice will make you quieter but it is still in violation of the law as the muffling device needs to be in constant operation.....
I've exchanged emails with John Earle before and he has been very helpful in answering my questions.....

RiverDave
07-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the warning. Now sign up and join the fun. :)
Now I have to figure out what mufflers will work on my boat. Clamp ons won't work with my external steering and I can't make it up to Moabi without them from now on.
I guess my STOCK 496's are too loud. :(
I'm wondering if you can get some slip in's, that go on the inside of the exhaust pipe. Probably cost you some HP, but atleast you wouldn't be breaking the bank compared to all the rest of the options that went through my head..
I'm surprised the stockers didn't pass? 496 boats don't seem that loud to me when they are up and running?
RD

Lavey5150
07-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I was eating a spotted owl dipped in Big Horn sauce for lunch while the Warden lectured me...............:D

Biglue
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm wondering if you can get some slip in's, that go on the inside of the exhaust pipe. Probably cost you some HP, but atleast you wouldn't be breaking the bank compared to all the rest of the options that went through my head..
I'm surprised the stockers didn't pass? 496 boats don't seem that loud to me when they are up and running?
RD
My stock H.O. was a decibel under the limit at idle. The tips are under a swim step which probably helps amplify the noise. THis was at the marina in Havasu tho. Who knows how credible that test was.

That Guy
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
I leave you alone for one weekend.....:D :D Did you just get pulled over running up river?

OutCole'd
07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
You sure it was the motors and not the stereo??

Magic34
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Reroute it through the prop hub. It will make your boat faster too with the exhaust thrust.

ratso
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Reroute it through the prop hub. It will make your boat faster too with the exhaust thrust.
Kilrtoy... Paging Kilrtoy!!!:D

Jordy
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Kilrtoy... Paging Kilrtoy!!!:D
Shit!!! 1 minute late. :(

ratso
07-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Shit!!! 1 minute late. :(
LMAO...:D

Outnumbered
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I used to run these to pass the noise test on Arrowhead. They are super easy to take in and out (5min) and will not be in the way. You can pull them while the boat is in the water. Just keep some extra nuts/bolts in the boat in case you drop one. Cheap too.
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/161100.jpg

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I leave you alone for one weekend.....:D :D Did you just get pulled over running up river?
I got pulled over idling through Devils Elbow. It was a slow speed chase. :D
I really didn't think and don't think my boat is that loud either. I have launched at the marina without even a blink. I launch mostly at Windsor though.
I was told my reading was 93 something db's. I was told the test was 5 feet back and 5 feet up.
After we where done talking I thought I should have asked to borrow his meter to see how many db's my stereo could hit. :D

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I used to run these to pass the noise test on Arrowhead. They are super easy to take in and out (5min) and will not be in the way. You can pull them while the boat is in the water. Just keep some extra nuts/bolts in the boat in case you drop one. Cheap too.
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/161100.jpg
I looked those up today. I guess I would just have to take out the internal flappers.

Outnumbered
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I looked those up today. I guess I would just have to take out the internal flappers.
I didn't take mine out. They sit flush with the end of the exhaust tip. Should be enough room to run them. Also, if you don't already have them I would get some external flappers. They seem to help pass the idle test for me.

beach gomer
07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Do the rangers not take into account that you are in an area that has real high walls like Devil's elbow.That reading cannot be accurate.The sound would bounce off the walls and echo.

No Regrets
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I really didn't think and don't think my boat is that loud either. I have launched at the marina without even a blink. I launch mostly at Windsor though.
I was told my reading was 93 something db's. I was told the test was 5 feet back and 5 feet up.
After we where done talking I thought I should have asked to borrow his meter to see how many db's my stereo could hit. :D
What day & time was that?
I just took my gibsons off cause I couldnt stand the muffled sound.
I put them on earlier in the year expecting to have exactly what happened to you happen to me, but havent seen any of those guys the last 4 trips.
Sounds like he was cool about it. Any other questions while he had you clinked?

atomickitn
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
hey matt the reading that was taken was actuly incorrect...the readings are for 1 motor, is what the readings were based on not 2 ...you could fight this,...if not i have run the shotguns, short clamp on and they only add 2" to the overall leanght of the exhaust tip, and at idel will drop the DB's about 6/8 points , but as soon as you hit the gas its on no restriction, ......good luck you can get them from drew marine

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Do the rangers not take into account that you are in an area that has real high walls like Devil's elbow.That reading cannot be accurate.The sound would bounce off the walls and echo.
No.

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM
What day & time was that?
I just took my gibsons off cause I couldnt stand the muffled sound.
I put them on earlier in the year expecting to have exactly what happened to you happen to me, but havent seen any of those guys the last 4 trips.
Sounds like he was cool about it. Any other questions while he had you clinked?
It was last Saturday afternoon. I didn't look at a clock but I guess it was sometime around 2 or 3 pm.
He was cool. They did a safety inspection while we floated back down the river.

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I am going to have to do some measuring before I do anything. Clamp ons would obviously be the easiest and my first choice. I may have issues with slip ins because of the internal flapper. Changing out the tips completely will probably be the hardest part. I don't even know if I can get to the 2 outside ones with the way the engines are stuffed in there.
I think I want a re-measure under ideal conditions and specs. ;)
The problem I am going to run into is with my external steering.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Picture_044.jpg

Outnumbered
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I bet you could pass with some clamp-on rubber flappers.

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I bet you could pass with some clamp-on rubber flappers.
:)
Probably.

rivercrazy
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
An expensive solution but IMCO has those aftermarket gimbals where the external steering mount is part of the gimbal.
I have the Rex Marine muffler tips. I think they stickout approximately 6-7 inches. They are very quiet, very durable, and decent looking.
The downside is I lost about 2mph on the big end but overall I'm very happy with the construction and lower db's.

Biglue
07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey Matt have you tried reaching out to E-Ticket? Perhaps someone else has dealt with this same issue. I'm sure they'd only have some useful info for you. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck.

Phat Matt
07-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Matt have you tried reaching out to E-Ticket? Perhaps someone else has dealt with this same issue. I'm sure they'd only have some useful info for you. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck.
I am going to talk to Larry. All the other boats that have come out have 525's and 625's with mufflers on the over the swim step exhaust.
We didn't think they would be necessary on the HO's and for almost 2 years now, they haven't. :)

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Just clamp on some turn-downs for when you head upriver. Even Grass Pay$ was quiet enough with those (his boat...not his mouth).

Kilrtoy
07-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Just clamp on some turn-downs for when you head upriver. Even Grass Pay$ was quiet enough with those (his boat...not his mouth).
LOL, LUCKY

BadKachina
07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
This whole thread is discouraging. Most 496ho's I've heard sound like they aren't running compared to mine. I would worry more about reversion with the slip ins, turn downs might work but they sure are funny looking.......:(

phebus
07-10-2007, 05:34 AM
I think it's all about the boat name. No problem before the paint went on...............Haters :D

Racer277
07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Matt, check the mufflers on John and Michele's Pure Platinum.
They have been fitted nicely to the lines of the boat, avoiding the steering hardware.
Something similiar should work for you.

Sigus
07-10-2007, 07:15 AM
I am going to have to do some measuring before I do anything. Clamp ons would obviously be the easiest and my first choice. I may have issues with slip ins because of the internal flapper. Changing out the tips completely will probably be the hardest part. I don't even know if I can get to the 2 outside ones with the way the engines are stuffed in there.
I think I want a re-measure under ideal conditions and specs. ;)
The problem I am going to run into is with my external steering.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Picture_044.jpg
Nice ass:D

Phat Matt
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Nice ass:D
Thanks. I've been working out. :)