PDA

View Full Version : Canine Seizures--Our Summer Girl

Wet Dream
07-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Our baby girl is in the hospital. :( We adopted a Golden Retriever puppy from a rescue when she was a puppy 4 years ago. All of our dogs have always received a top notch clean bill of health. About a month ago, Summer was having a hard time lifting her head to eat or grab the nearest thing around as you walked through the door. She always had to greet you with something. We did the local vet tests, and then drove 100 miles to the big vet for a series of dyes and x-rays. She was on the table, and the x-ray machine broke. That was the night before vacation. She got a little R&R at the farm and when we returned, she was doing much better. Every day for the last few weeks was going extremely well for her, playing tug-o-war with the other dogs and running around. Ok, a little more time and she'll be back to normal. So we thought. I get a hysteric call and can't make out what my wife is saying. The poor girl is howling in the background and having epileptic seizures. My wife thinks she's dying on the spot. Unfortunately, she can't carry her down the steps on her own, has to wait to for help to get her to the hospital. She gets there in 20 minutes. 4 hours later, she's still having them. IV's and sedatives are pumped into her. I get to the hospital and she seems like she knows I'm there during her fits and trying to come out of it, but they aren't subsiding. The vet says not to give up hope yet, but she is having a brutal string of cluter seizures. We'll have to see if she makes it through the night, and if there isn't any brain damage. This is really hard because she is a wonderful dog. She's the footwarmer on cold nights, and the one who like to play hide and seek. The one who likes to ride in the bed of the truck and flap her cheeks, or swim out to get the stick. She's family, they always are. We just want our girl home, healthy and safe. We know that if she pulls through this, we'll have the meds and special diet, but we have to get there first. Its going to be a long night. Thanks for letting me rant. I'll update this as I get more, and everytime the phone rings, I hesitate to see whats on the caller ID. Lets hope it doesn't ring. :(

ratso
07-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Good luck with her. I lost my Chow just a few weeks ago...:( That shit will tear you up.

repo man
07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
did the vet check for snail poison? a sheep herder poisoned 2 of my dog that way and they died. the vet said if i had got them to him faster they would've lived.

Wet Dream
07-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys. We're waiting for the latest blood results, but when she was there last month, everything came back perfect. Its common for lyme disease and that was negative too.

hoolign
07-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Our baby girl is in the hospital. :( We adopted a Golden Retriever puppy from a rescue when she was a puppy 4 years ago. All of our dogs have always received a top notch clean bill of health. About a month ago, Summer was having a hard time lifting her head to eat or grab the nearest thing around as you walked through the door. She always had to greet you with something. We did the local vet tests, and then drove 100 miles to the big vet for a series of dyes and x-rays. She was on the table, and the x-ray machine broke. That was the night before vacation. She got a little R&R at the farm and when we returned, she was doing much better. Every day for the last few weeks was going extremely well for her, playing tug-o-war with the other dogs and running around. Ok, a little more time and she'll be back to normal. So we thought. I get a hysteric call and can't make out what my wife is saying. The poor girl is howling in the background and having epileptic seizures. My wife thinks she's dying on the spot. Unfortunately, she can't carry her down the steps on her own, has to wait to for help to get her to the hospital. She gets there in 20 minutes. 4 hours later, she's still having them. IV's and sedatives are pumped into her. I get to the hospital and she seems like she knows I'm there during her fits and trying to come out of it, but they aren't subsiding. The vet says not to give up hope yet, but she is having a brutal string of cluter seizures. We'll have to see if she makes it through the night, and if there isn't any brain damage. This is really hard because she is a wonderful dog. She's the footwarmer on cold nights, and the one who like to play hide and seek. The one who likes to ride in the bed of the truck and flap her cheeks, or swim out to get the stick. She's family, they always are. We just want our girl home, healthy and safe. We know that if she pulls through this, we'll have the meds and special diet, but we have to get there first. Its going to be a long night. Thanks for letting me rant. I'll update this as I get more, and everytime the phone rings, I hesitate to see whats on the caller ID. Lets hope it doesn't ring. :(
That sux dude! it's amazing how attached we get to these lil mongrels.. The lil fukkers are always in a good mood and seem to change ours when were pissed off or upset. We lost ours in May "Ozzy" was like that , It was hard to come home from work and not have him doing a 8.8 @ 170 around me , I can't help but think of that dog everytime "I don't wanna stop" comes on the radio! no matter how bad a mood I was in..lil bastard would turn me right around :D and he still does, I have a picture of him on my desk top and can't help but laugh at the goofy look on his yap! :D
Good luck and hopefully things work out!

beach gomer
07-09-2007, 06:41 PM
I pray that your girl is OK.I have a male Golden Retriever rescue dog also we have had him for 5 years he's 9.Max has turned out to be the best dog even though he picks up everything.

Havasu1986
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I know what your going thru. My wife just rushed our 12 year old Australian Sheperd Marina to the vet hospital. Just got off the phone with my wife and now they are doing a ultra sound. They think it may interal bleeding. Hang in there Marina. I love you.

Wet Dream
07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
That sux dude! it's amazing how attached we get to these lil mongrels.. The lil fukkers are always in a good mood and seem to change ours when were pissed off or upset.
You know it. And one ironic thing about this is that the whole main floor area is new (4 months old), with 75% wood lam flooring and the rest is a nice new $1300 light carpet. Its cheaper out here. Kids are not allowed to take anything other than water on the carpet, although they sneak. During one of her seizures she managed to pretty much destroy it, and it doesn't matter. That can be replaced...she can't.

W.O.T
07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Goodluck with your dog i hope she gets better. My Basset hound started having seizures for along time. Went to a few vets spent alot of money and found nothing. I eventually found a vet who knew his stuff and it turned out to be severe food allergies. My dog has to be on a strict diet now but hes healthy again. Goodluck again

hoolign
07-09-2007, 07:05 PM
You know it. And one ironic thing about this is that the whole main floor area is new (4 months old), with 75% wood lam flooring and the rest is a nice new $1300 light carpet. Its cheaper out here. Kids are not allowed to take anything other than water on the carpet, although they sneak. During one of her seizures she managed to pretty much destroy it, and it doesn't matter. That can be replaced...she can't.
Ya know it! Sux man post some pics of the mutt!
I never thought in a million years that I would ever become attached to a lil mutt like OZZY ( Shitzu maltese) Ive always had Dobeys and Rotty's ,Shepards bigger dogs and when my woman said she wanted this lil loaf of bread with legs..I thought WTF?? the cat will kick the crap outta it..and it did ...numerous times :D when that lil ****er died...my oil rig workin, rough assed lookin 240 lb hyde actaually got pretty torn up! ( keep that quiet :D )

Daytona100
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Good luck with your Pooch. We have two Golden retrievers and we love them as much, Sometimes more than the kids. Wish you the best!!!!!!!! Mike

Wet Dream
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Here are a few pics...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_0002.JPG
Come on, try to get it from me...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_00101.JPG
Fresh Air...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_00161.JPG
Summer and Boo
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_0260.JPG
My new carpet...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_0421.JPG
Summer and Storm...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_0503.JPG

Beer-30
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
She's Epileptic. Extremely common with Labs and Goldens. Basically all of the retrievers. I grew up with a Golden that was had seizures. My chocolate Lab is Epileptic and has been on Phenobarbital for years. Very very common. Mine has about 4 or 5 seizures a year.

topless
07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I have a little ankle biter dog who I rescued from the pound knowing she was epileptic. As long as she was on her meds, she would be fine for about 6 months and then would have her seizures again. The vet told me that this is common to go in cycles like this. Anyway, her last batch of seizures were cluster ones like Summer. I took her to the vet who made me take her to the emergency hospital the next day. She was done having her seizures but could only walk in circles and drool. I also thought I was going to have to have her put to sleep but what had happened, is that she had a stroke with the last seizure attack. It was sort of a blessing in disguise because this was 2 years agao on the 4th of july weekend. She has been off her medicatiopn for almost 2 years and hasn't had a seizure since. She still runs in circles when she is excited to see me but has fully recovered and is better than before. I hope and pray for at least the same outcome for Summer. She is a beautiful dog. Just don't put all your faith in what one vet says because it is a guessing game as to why this happened and to the miracelous ability the brain has to recover.
Get well soon Summer

cdog
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
She'll be in our prayers. Great pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/100_00161.JPG

Rexone
07-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I hope she recovers WD. It's a bitch going through this stuff. I had a dog that had grand mall seizures, but not clusters. He lived another 5 years after that started. I'm sure a different situation, but don't give up hope.

jamesnismo2006
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I do hope that she is ok. I have a german shepherd and he was diagnosed with epilepsy. Not a fun thing. Phenbarb wasnt working by itself but they put him on potassium bromide as well. It took a little while but with a strict diet of Science Diet Sensitive skin and the right combo of meds his seizures have pretty much gone away. AS long as he takes his meds on a regular basis he has no seizures. Get blood panels done once a year and looks to be under control. I have a great vet in Temecula. Let me know if ya have any questions
James

moparjet
07-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Sorry To Hear That Wet...when I Got Back From Honeymoon I Had A 400 Bill Wating For Me....but It Didnt Matter...you Cant Put A Price On My Dog....he Is My Kid As Far As Im Concerned...hope For The Best

edog_103
07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Hang in there. If it is epilepsy she'll be fine once they get the meds correct. I hava a 3 year old Yellow lab. He has Grand mall siezures, and has been on phenobarbatol for two years now. Not a single one for a year now.

Wet Dream
07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
She didn't make it through the night. :( I stayed up until 3am wondering if the phone was going to ring. It did, at 8 am. The vet said that she had calmed down only a little last night, but she never came out of the coma and passed. He said the brutality of the seizures were probably due to brain hemmoraging and pressure. She wouldn't have been well anyway, and probably didn't suffer at all. Its a very sad day. She was the best girl ever. The kids had a good cry, we all did. The house seems empty without her. She was always the one to bark and wag for everyone at the door. That would trigger the others to bark, but its silent now. Nobody barks. I hope she's running around with my old guy Cinder... I miss them both. :( I have a formal RIP thread here for Summer (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156740)

Mrs.HLB
07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I am in tears now... very sorry about your dog.:(
Mrs.HLB

DesertGirl
07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Very sad, my thoughts go out to you and the family :(

PBOCOP
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Hate reading stories like this. We all fall in love with our animals so much, and then they are gone. Hard voids to fill. I think the best way to heal is to get a replacement as soon as possible. They will never be forgotten, but a replacement can help fill the void. My chocolate lab is 8 now and I fear this day all the time with him.
PBO