PDA

View Full Version : The Prophet in the O.C.

Mattman
07-10-2007, 05:48 AM
This guy was just talked about a couple of weeks ago on here. He stands 6' 6 and 265 pounds. Decided to take some stuff from CVS on El Toro and Rockfield and walk out the door. The employees let him walk out because he becomes confrontational. Deputies show up and fire several bean bags and tasers with little effect. Turns out he was wearing a hub cap, pieces of a traffic cone, plastic, magazines and extra clothing around his body. Deputies decided to go hands on with him and ended up with some stick time after he was able to grab one of the tasers...ooops:eek:

Not So Fast
07-10-2007, 06:03 AM
This guy was just talked about a couple of weeks ago on here. He stands 6' 6 and 265 pounds. Decided to take some stuff from CVS on El Toro and Rockfield and walk out the door. The employees let him walk out because he becomes confrontational. Deputies show up and fire several bean bags and tasers with little effect. Turns out he was wearing a hub cap, pieces of a traffic cone, plastic, magazines and extra clothing around his body. Deputies decided to go hands on with him and ended up with some stick time after he was able to grab one of the tasers...ooops:eek:
He will be fodder in OCJ, bet on it:D NSF

catman-do
07-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Wow, Irvine cops had something to do for once that involves them being actual cops, and not parking police! I think 99% (excluding Northern OC; Santa Ana, HB, Westminster, Orange etc..) of So OC officers get to their dept via the retirement train.

yopengo
07-10-2007, 06:19 AM
ThatÂ’s the story I was told. :eek: :D

uvindex
07-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Wow, Irvine cops had something to do for once that involves them being actual cops, and not parking police! If it was El Toro and Rockfield then it would be OC Sheriff, not Irvine PD. :)

H20Advantage
07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Heres the story:
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1740202.php
'The Prophet' jailed after struggle with officers
Police say trans "The Prophet" walked out of a store without paying for several products.
By SALVADOR HERNANDEZ
The Orange County Register
LAKE FOREST–Tasers, batons, bean bag shots and physical force was used to subdue a well-known local transient known as "The Prophet," authorities said.
Wearing what appeared to be body armor made out of pieces of traffic cones, magazines, plastic, metal, and a hub cap, Charles Barnes withstood bean bag shots to the chest and at least two tasers fired by deputies, said Lt. Don Barnes, chief of police services for Lake Forest.
The 49-year-old man, who is 6 feet 6 inches tall and 265 pounds, resisted officers Wednesday night when they tried to take him into custody on suspicion of taking items from a store near the intersection of El Toro Road and Rockfield Boulevard, Lt. Lloyd Downing said.
"This guy is huge," Downing said.
Charles Barnes went into a CVS Pharmacy and walked out with several items without paying, Downing said.
"The Prophet" was walking out with several items, including hygienic products, iced tea and bottles of honey, when a manager confronted him. The manager let him pass through when he became fearful of his safety, Lt. Barnes said.
When officers arrived, the incident turned violent almost immediately.
As officers approached, Charles Barnes hurled a wine bottle toward the deputies, Lt. Barnes said.
"He took a fighting stance," he said.
Deputies fired several bean bag rounds at Barnes but the shots did not affect him significantly because he was wearing several layers of clothing and items strapped to his body.
"There's no way to describe it but it looked like he suited himself," Lt. Barnes said.
The officers also used a taser at least twice to subdue him, but the extra layers of clothing kept the tasers from having an effect, Lt. Barnes said.
Deputies tried to physically restrain him and, in the scuffle, Barnes grabbed one of the officer's tasers.
Deputies used batons to subdue him and hit him in the body and the hand to force him to let go of the taser, Lt. Barnes said.
Lt. Don Barnes said he did not know how many times Charles Barnes was hit with the baton, but said it was more than once.
Charles Barnes was taken into custody and taken to a hospital to be treated for cuts, bruises and what may have been a broken hand, Lt. Barnes said.
The confrontation, like all instances where officers use force, is being investigated by the sheriff's homicide division.
"At the point when they start throwing objects at our officers we have to do something," Lt. Barnes said. "Our goal is to never use physical force and, unfortunately, in this case we had to."
Dottie Moyer, who said she is a friend of Charles Barnes, said she saw the incident.
"We were telling them to stop because they just kept going and going," Moyer said.
Barnes is being held in Theo Lacy jail in lieu of $105,000 bail.
Contact the writer: shernandez@ocregister.com or 949-454-7361

Quality Time
07-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Interesting, I'll go upstairs and get the unedited version fromt the Sgt. :D

SCR INC
07-10-2007, 07:37 AM
This guy was always in his own little world.. He would kick it on the bus stop bench with a cart holding 4 car batts , a amp and his electric guitar and rock out... I would come out of Kings fish house and talk to him and throw him a few buck's.. My ex took her pic with the freak its a shame he has mental problems.. He always dressed like George Clinton.. PIMP Style!

Cigalert
07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Nice to see him using MacGuyver techniques to survive in such harsh conditions as south oc.

STLRFAN
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
wow, I always got a good laugh when I would drive by him, while he was standing on the corner.

Quality Time
07-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Just found out he is a regular fixture in the Arbor. Been arrested a few times. FYI, he did end up with a shattered hand from his arrest the other day, but he is back on the street all armored-up:jawdrop:

Old Texan
07-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I often wonder why the police don't just use a big "net" like you see in the movies to capture wild animals. With all of today's technology often ineffective, it seems the perfect defense to subdue out of control perps.
Get a big net and have 2 officers run up behind him and cover him with the net, get him to the ground and roll him up. Tasers and night sticks don't seem to have much immediate effect on a lot of these "big crazed guys". Wrap him up in the net and shoot him in the asse with a sedative, sure seems easier to me.

Glamasu
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I often wonder why the police don't just use a big "net" like you see in the movies to capture wild animals. With all of today's technology often ineffective, it seems the perfect defense to subdue out of control perps.
Get a big net and have 2 officers run up behind him and cover him with the net, get him to the ground and roll him up. Tasers and night sticks don't seem to have much immediate effect on a lot of these "big crazed guys". Wrap him up in the net and shoot him in the asse with a sedative, sure seems easier to me.
Turn off Bonanza!!