PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Gel Coat

BLOWN HOWARD
07-10-2007, 08:09 AM
I am going to buff the boat down. The white is turning a little yellow, and colors a little dull. Wich pad do i use when i use the cutting compound? And wich pad do i use when i am doing the final polishing? Thanks

Leverage
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Foam then Wool, but it all depends on what you're using. Let me know and I'll point you in the best direction.
Donnie

pw_Tony
07-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Foam then Wool, but it all depends on what you're using. Let me know and I'll point you in the best direction.
Donnie
Ummm wouldn't it be Wool THEN foam?

Leverage
07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Ummm wouldn't it be Wool THEN foam?
Uh.... Yep! ;) Thanks, but I really want to hear more about his project. I figured he would post back up before starting the project. Depending on his definition of 'yellowing' and 'dull' is what I want to make sure he gets fixed. I would rather he spent a bit more time to do it right instead of it coming back next week. I was interested in what products that he is using to remove the yellowing and oxidation. I've worked a lot of yellowing bottoms that owners have buffed and it dosen't last, but maybe a month or less. Many times compound isn't enough and wet sanding may be needed.
I would also like to hear how BLOWN HOWARD has stored his boat, how old it is and what products have been used to wax/polish the finish. I don't think he would want to do all of the work and then use products that would cause the same problems again.
Donnie

BLOWN HOWARD
07-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Uh.... Yep! ;) Thanks, but I really want to hear more about his project. I figured he would post back up before starting the project. Depending on his definition of 'yellowing' and 'dull' is what I want to make sure he gets fixed. I would rather he spent a bit more time to do it right instead of it coming back next week. I was interested in what products that he is using to remove the yellowing and oxidation. I've worked a lot of yellowing bottoms that owners have buffed and it dosen't last, but maybe a month or less. Many times compound isn't enough and wet sanding may be needed.
I would also like to hear how BLOWN HOWARD has stored his boat, how old it is and what products have been used to wax/polish the finish. I don't think he would want to do all of the work and then use products that would cause the same problems again.
Donnie
Usually the boat is stored in a covered area, not indoors but not completly out doors either. I am using the Medium Cut Cleaner from Meguiars right now. Then follow it up with some of there polish New Car Glaze. The bottom of the boat yellowed on me one summer and i tested an area last night and it cleaned up pretty good even with out using the polish yet. Am i headed in the right direction.

DUCKY
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
The yellowing will most likely come off with a quality compound and a wool pad. It is most likely a wax/dirt build-up in the pores of the gel, and it will come back. If it is bad, then you should wet sand first.
If the colors are starting to oxidize, you DEFINITELY need to wet sand it to cut the oxidation, and the question is....Is it really that bad? Probably not.
Buffing oxidation just burns it into the pores of the gel. It will be back very shortly.......
What ever you choose to do, use a wool pad first. Most people can't justify the difference between pads, just make sure your pad is nice and clean before you use the next stage of compound. Have fun!

Leverage
07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey Howard,
Ducky is pretty much right on. It is really hard to say over the PC without seeing. If you've already started then go ahead and finish. Once you put it back in the water then you will know if it's going to last. If or when the yellowing comes back then you can get our advice on wet sanding. Let me know how it turns out or if you need anything.
Donnie

BLOWN HOWARD
07-12-2007, 05:54 AM
I tried a samll spot a few days ago and the yellow went away pretty easy. So i would assume that the heavy compound and wool pad will work for now. If i put enough polish and wax on it should it help keep the yellow away. Or am i going to have to do this every 2 or 3 yrs.

lucky
07-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Ducky is right on ( send him a bad check for his advise just for fun :D ) I had to do my howard 3 years ago due to the woodgrain - i sanded with 2,000 then compound and polish and finished with a glaze and it looked like New - Unfortunaley - it stays in a barn in winter and my driveway in summer - I have been holding out to clean it again ! :D

DUCKY
07-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Ducky is right on ( send him a bad check for his advise just for fun :D )
:eek: :D
That's some funny shit!
Anyways, if you get the yellowing to go away, pay attention to what you put on it in the future. I noticed you mentioned "lots of wax". Carnuba wax is what turns white gelcoat yellow, so find yourself a quality marine polish that is wax and silicone free and you will be much happier down the road. Meguire's, 3M, and several others make marine specific products that are wax free.

BLOWN HOWARD
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Got ya wax free polish will pick some up today. THanks

Leverage
07-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Got ya wax free polish will pick some up today. THanks
Get in touch with Jason over at Ultra or visit his website on my sig.

BLOWN HOWARD
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Anybody selling the Leverage products on the west coast??? And do we get a hot boat discount:D :D

Strippoker
07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Anybody selling the Leverage products on the west coast??? And do we get a hot boat discount:D :D
Im on the west coast for leverage In SD I will give you a HB discount I have bottles in stock. just give me a call and I can ship it out to you.
http://badassindustrial.com/leverage1.jpg