PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven Cleaning

Run_em_Hard
07-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Just bought my first Dutch Oven and I have heard a few different ways of cleaning them after use. Lets hear what you professionals have to say about how to clean them the best.

Nord
07-10-2007, 09:24 AM
I used to clean my dutch ovens out by fluffing the covers..........

THOR
07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
You beat me to it Nord

mondorally
07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I find this works best for those hard to remove stains.
http://www.natcleaning.com/61997556.jpg
-Justin

Run_em_Hard
Yep...that make no sence to me:(

sleekcraft80
If it is a cast iron Dutch Oven you have to season it first. If you have already done this then to clean it just use warm soapy water and DO NOT use a scotch brite or anything to scratch it. I usually use heat to dry it then rub beef talc on it to keep the seasoning on it.

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
07-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Gently with soap and water,do not scrub.Dry. Lightly coat with vegetable oil /Crisco. Keep the oven well maintained and leave it to your most cherished child.

Debbolas
First you have to "season" your dutch oven, coat the inside with cooking oil and bake in the oven. (I don't know about temp or time, I just know ours smoked our house out)
To clean it get a steel scrubby (no soap!) and scrub all the food off with boiling hot water.
Dry completely and then recoat with cooking oil.
:D
Ahhell is a dutch oven master (and not just because he is dutch) :D

Run_em_Hard
If it is a cast iron Dutch Oven you have to season it first. If you have already done this then to clean it just use warm soapy water and DO NOT use a scotch brite or anything to scratch it. I usually use heat to dry it then rub beef talc on it to keep the seasoning on it.
It is seasoned... I thought that it was wrong to use soap? Was I mislead?

yopengo
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
What ever you clean it with (I use a litle soap and water) dry it with heat so there is no water residual.

Her454
07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
First you have to "season" your dutch oven, coat the inside with cooking oil and bake in the oven. (I don't know about temp or time, I just know ours smoked our house out)
To clean it get a steel scrubby (no soap!) and scrub all the food off with boiling hot water.
Dry completely and then recoat with cooking oil.
:D
Ahhell is a dutch oven master (and not just because he is dutch) :D
Exactly, I NEVER use soap on mine and I have two that I use every time I go camping. Boil it clean and use a steel scrubby and then recoat with cooking oil. The more you cook in it the more it seasons itself actually after the first seasoning. I used about 300 degrees to season mine for about an hour and no smoke alarms went off in the house. :):):):D

Run_em_Hard
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
When drying with heat would it be ok to use my camp chef?

bohica
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
My buddy uses his in the desert all the time. I only see him cleaning his with salt and a paper towel. When he's done cleaning it, he puts a small amount of oil on it.

gramps
07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Wipe it clean with a dry cloth NO SOAP & NOTHING to remove the "seasoning".

R.A.D.man
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Try one of these and you will never go back. They are anodized aluminum, lighter, non stick, clean however you want, no seasoning required, they work great. If you buy the slightly less expensive non anodized ones, you still have to treat them like cast iron.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?a=5&c2=9&p=50410&

Sleek-Jet
07-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Try one of these and you will never go back. They are anodized aluminum, lighter, non stick, clean however you want, no seasoning required, they work great. If you buy the slightly less expensive non anodized ones, you still have to treat them like cast iron.
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?a=5&c2=9&p=50410&
It might be lighter, but Aluminum doesn't have enough mass to hold the and distribute the heat... you end up with hot spots.
I don't have a Dutch Oven, but I do have a cast iron skillet that I do most of my cooking in. Clean it while it's still warm with just warm water and then dry it off and coat it with a little bit of vegetable oil.
If you have to, a little soap won't remove the seasoning, even if it does, all you have to do is reseason it in the oven.

Old Texan
07-10-2007, 11:37 AM
My buddy uses his in the desert all the time. I only see him cleaning his with salt and a paper towel. When he's done cleaning it, he puts a small amount of oil on it.
That's my way. the salt is all the abrasive you need to get the "stuck on" residue loose. I'll use some hot water to first wipe away "leftovers", always follow up with salt and cooking oil. The longer you use and maintain it, the better the "seasoning gets. I always heat mine well before use to kill any potential "bad organisms".
I've tried the aluminum types and don't get near the same results as old fashioned cast iron.

Jbb
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Wasn't "Dutch oven"....:D .on that same list as ...Donkey Punch.....and Cleveland Steamer....:D

lucky
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Just bought my first Dutch Oven and I have heard a few different ways of cleaning them after use. Lets hear what you professionals have to say about how to clean them the best.
I say get a Dutch oven cleaner , and make sure she's cute!

Mandelon
07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
No need to scrub hard, i just wipe with a sponge. Maybe some table salt as an abrasive, but usually just boil the water in it after and the gunk comes off. Wipe dry with a towel. Then keep it over the heat to drive the moisture out or the cast iron will rust.
Recoat it with a little vegatable or olive oil and put away for next time.
WE use ours when camping in the winter.....you can do just about anything in it, from obvious stews and chili to roast pork, even cakes and cobblers.
Cinnamon rolls, cut into chunks, bake and top with melted butter, brown sugar, more cinnamon and some chopped pecans... MmmmMmmmmm :D

Her454
07-10-2007, 04:25 PM
WE use ours when camping in the winter.....you can do just about anything in it, from obvious stews and chili to roast pork, even cakes and cobblers.
Cinnamon rolls, cut into chunks, bake and top with melted butter, brown sugar, more cinnamon and some chopped pecans... MmmmMmmmmm :D
Ok, I use mine about twice a month, and EVERY time I camp. How bout we share some Dutch Oven Recipe's?
One of my favorites is Apple, Cherry or Peach Pie filling.... 2 cans in the bottom of the Oven with a package of yellow cake mix dumped on top of that. Then take a cube of butter and cut it up in chunks on top and douse it with cinnamon. Put about 15 coals underneath and about 7 on top and let it cook for about 20 minutes and you'll have the best cobbler you have ever had, no matter where you are.
Another ...... scramble about a dozen eggs, mix in some cheese (to your preference) and throw in some browned sausage, browned hash browns, mushrooms and let it cook same as above and you'll have a breakfast to die for that feeds quite a few and takes no time at all. You can substitute the meat and shrooms for whatever your preference is. :)
Lets here some more, Im always looking for something new to cook when we are out in the middle of nowhere!:D :D