PDA

View Full Version : Parts advice, need to spend some money

socalmoney
07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
I need to replace a few things on my 21' Eliminator jet boat. It has a 460.
Bilge pump. I see them range from $25.00 to $200.00
Bilge blower.
Distributer. Leaning toward a MSD Ready To Run.
Optima Batt and Batt Box. What should I get here. Need one to start but want to add a second down the line.
Intake Manifold. Leaning toward Edlebrock Performer.
Any comments on the above would be appreciated.

Xlration Marine
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
To bad you don't live just a little closer. I have a bunch of new bildge pumps sitting in my cabinet.

socalmoney
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
To bad you don't live just a little closer. I have a bunch of new bildge pumps sitting in my cabinet.
Where is "right here for now"?

Mr. Crusader 83
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Bilge Pump - Any will work. I got a $40 from WestMarine
Intake Manifold - Edelbrock, single plane.

socalmoney
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Bilge Pump - Any will work. I got a $40 from WestMarine
Intake Manifold - Edelbrock, single plane.
The motor is bone stoke with a new top end done several years ago. The stock intake is a duel plane cast iron. You think I should throw on a single plane?

HalletDave
07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
The motor is bone stoke with a new top end done several years ago. The stock intake is a duel plane cast iron. You think I should throw on a single plane?
Weiand Stealth intake

Mr. Crusader 83
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
MSD - 85551 Billet Dist with 6M box and coil.

socalmoney
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
This is twice the price of the Ready To Run set up.
http://www.msdignition.com/mari_9.htm
What is the advantage of going with this setup?

Hustler
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Just get the 6al and make sure it's mounted in a area that will stay dry. 6m box is more expensive to buy and more expensive to repair due to the potting on the back. I have ran a 6al for 7 years years with out a problem.

Squirtcha?
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
If you don't plan on building the motor for more horsepower I'd go with the Weiand Stealth. It'll serve you just fine up to 500 hp. I ran one with a Holley 850 dp carb for a number of years along with a 100 hp nitrous kit for 600 hp total. It worked great.
Even if you don't want to build more power, it'll still work as good or better than your current intake and you will shave off some weight by making the switch. (I also ran my Weiand for a couple years on a near stock motor and it worked fine).
If you plan on building more power than 600 hp, probably the Victor single plane as suggested.
As for the bilge pump, I swear by my little 500 gph Rule bilge pump. It's completely automatic and doesn't have the stupid little flipper lever to turn it on and off. It has some circuitry built into it and will turn itself on every 2.5 minutes. It if senses the resistance of water on the impeller, it'll pump til it's empty then turn itself off. If it doesn't sense the resistance (bilge is empty), it'll just run for a second then turn itself off. Requires no thought and works great. $52 at West Marine. I've turned a couple buddies on to it and they're just like me.................can't figure out how they ever lived without it.
When my boat is in the water, I just turn on the bilge pump switch and let it do it's thing. Power usage is so minimal due to it's cool design, I'll leave it on all the time while the boat is in the water over a three day weekend. Once after a weekend I accidentally left it on for two weeks while the boat was in the garage. It didn't drain the battery at all (perceptibly anyway). Definitely some of the best money I've ever spent on the barge..
Here's a link to it. Mine's the little 500 gph one in the middle.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/ruleautobilgepumps.jpg
Rule's product description.
An internal computer chip cycles these pumps on every 2.5 minutes, then quickly shuts them down if no water is detected. The 25S-3 500gph pump has 3-way wiring for connecting to a switch for manual override of indicator light.
Built-in strainer bases snap off to make cleaning easy
Completely submersible
Corrosion proof and ignition protected
3-year warranty
Description WM Model# MFG Part # Price In Stock? Qty
500Gph, 12V, 1.9A Draw, 3/4 Port, H-4xW-2-3/8 491928 25S Only $52

boats&bars
07-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I like my mafair bildge pump cartridge style the more the merrier.

socalmoney
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
If you don't plan on building the motor for more horsepower I'd go with the Weiand Stealth. It'll serve you just fine up to 500 hp. I ran one with a Holley 850 dp carb for a number of years along with a 100 hp nitrous kit for 600 hp total. It worked great.
Even if you don't want to build more power, it'll still work as good or better than your current intake and you will shave off some weight by making the switch. (I also ran my Weiand for a couple years on a near stock motor and it worked fine).
If you plan on building more power than 600 hp, probably the Victor single plane as suggested.
As for the bilge pump, I swear by my little 500 gph Rule bilge pump. It's completely automatic and doesn't have the stupid little flipper lever to turn it on and off. It has some circuitry built into it and will turn itself on every 2.5 minutes. It if senses the resistance of water on the impeller, it'll pump til it's empty then turn itself off. If it doesn't sense the resistance (bilge is empty), it'll just run for a second then turn itself off. Requires no thought and works great. $52 at West Marine. I've turned a couple buddies on to it and they're just like me.................can't figure out how they ever lived without it.
When my boat is in the water, I just turn on the bilge pump switch and let it do it's thing. Power usage is so minimal due to it's cool design, I'll leave it on all the time while the boat is in the water over a three day weekend. Once after a weekend I accidentally left it on for two weeks while the boat was in the garage. It didn't drain the battery at all (perceptibly anyway). Definitely some of the best money I've ever spent on the barge..
Great info. Thanks so much. I was looking at those auto pumps. Any thoughts on batteries. There is a lot of info on the boards about them. I just want to make sure I get the right box for the right battery. What group number should I buy?

Squirtcha?
07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Great info. Thanks so much. I was looking at those auto pumps. Any thoughts on batteries. There is a lot of info on the boards about them. I just want to make sure I get the right box for the right battery. What group number should I buy?
Glad it helped some. As for the battery, I use a cheapo Autozone special in a no frills homemade stainless steel bracket/plate/holddown. I used to brag on the fact that with regular maintenance it lasted for 6 seasons, but last weekend it took a dump on me and I'll have to get another.
Still no complaints on a battery that lasts 6 seasons and I'm going to buy another just like it. I don't know that even the $120 Optimas would last any longer than that.

Mr. Crusader 83
07-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I have 2 optima blue tops. they have lasted 5 seasons with no problem. and no recharging. I have 2 because i used to have a stereo before someone wanted it more then i did. :D
That ready to run will work fine.
I didnt used the 6m box either. I have the msd 6A with the billet 85551 dist and a blaster 2 coil. I got the whole setup for $400 from jegs.com. and its been great for 3 seasons now.

pw_Tony
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
If you have room you should shoot for an Eldebrock Performer RPM air-gap.
They're a dual plane and make great torque, but they're still some what a high rise for some sweet velocity:D
And you have the air gap to keep everything cool....
so basically you get the best worlds of everything, have used them from anywhere on a 320hp motor to a 560hp motor and they have been more versitile than any intake I have used, but if you don't get one of those...
Get a blower:D

socalmoney
07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
If you have room you should shoot for an Eldebrock Performer RPM air-gap.
They're a dual plane and make great torque, but they're still some what a high rise for some sweet velocity:D
And you have the air gap to keep everything cool....
so basically you get the best worlds of everything, have used them from anywhere on a 320hp motor to a 560hp motor and they have been more versitile than any intake I have used, but if you don't get one of those...
Get a blower:D
I assume I have a stock cam in this block. I have no idea what specs are. Would I be safe with a manifold that operates in the 1500-6500 RPM range. I doubt my motor would even turn over 5500. Also how much taller is this manifold over stock, how would I know how much room I would need. I guess I could just bolt it on and have my engine cover redone since interior is next on the list.

pw_Tony
07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
I assume I have a stock cam in this block. I have no idea what specs are. Would I be safe with a manifold that operates in the 1500-6500 RPM range. I doubt my motor would even turn over 5500. Also how much taller is this manifold over stock, how would I know how much room I would need. I guess I could just bolt it on and have my engine cover redone since interior is next on the list.
It's about 3 or 4 inches taller than stock. They're good up to 6500RPM, and a Performer is from idle-5000 I think, but how often do you give it gas and the motor is stuck under 1500RPM? When I gas it it's at least at 200rpm constantly

socalmoney
07-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Here's a link to it. Mine's the little 500 gph one in the middle.
http://images.westmarine.com/full/ruleautobilgepumps.jpg
Rule's product description.
An internal computer chip cycles these pumps on every 2.5 minutes, then quickly shuts them down if no water is detected. The 25S-3 500gph pump has 3-way wiring for connecting to a switch for manual override of indicator light.
Built-in strainer bases snap off to make cleaning easy
Completely submersible
Corrosion proof and ignition protected
3-year warranty
Description WM Model# MFG Part # Price In Stock? Qty
500Gph, 12V, 1.9A Draw, 3/4 Port, H-4xW-2-3/8 491928 25S Only $52
Wow did this get bad reviews on West Marine. Maybe a salt water thing.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductReviewView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&catentryId=2576&storeNum=&subdeptNum=&classNum=

raped southwind
07-24-2007, 10:24 AM
hey SOCAL i have a performer intake if u are interested.. ill let it go for $50 but u gotta pick it up or pay for shipping ( cant be much mabee 20-30$ ) let me know

socalmoney
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
hey SOCAL i have a performer intake if u are interested.. ill let it go for $50 but u gotta pick it up or pay for shipping ( cant be much mabee 20-30$ ) let me know
Damn, I picked up a Weiand Stealth last week.

pw_Tony
07-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Damn, I picked up a Weiand Stealth last week.
Keep an update on how that goes. You're just changing the intake correct?
What mph and RPM were you turning before, and let us know after;)

SB
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I need to replace a few things on my 21' Eliminator jet boat. It has a 460.
Bilge pump. I see them range from $25.00 to $200.00
Consider getting 2 cheap ones, one automatic.
Bilge blower.
Consider doing without this. Open the box before you start. I've always wondered how many fires are caused by the fan.
:)

Squirtcha?
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Wow did this get bad reviews on West Marine. Maybe a salt water thing.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductReviewView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&catentryId=2576&storeNum=&subdeptNum=&classNum=
Interesting. Then again I've only had mine for two seasons. I do use the boat almost every weekend though. Haven't had any problems (as yet).
I've got a couple buddies using em without problems but they're on their first season with em.

lucky
07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
no offence to any of you guys that love the msd stuff . but for a stock items and reliability - look at the D.u.i ignitions - msd is sensitive at times and you can only get parts by dealers - parts can be bought over the counter for dui - my .002

flat broke
07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Dan,
It's funny. I had used one of those before I got my Spectra and it worked great. When I got my Spectra way back when, it had manually activated mayfairs and they worked for the 4 years that I used the boat. When Ty rigged his Dana, he went with the auto Rule unit, and it has been less than consistent in it's performance. There are times when there is water in the bilge and the thing won't stay pumping past it's initial "check and see if there's resistance phase". When my hull goes rightside up, I'm going to go with two large Mayfairs. One will be hooked up to a water witch, the other one straight switched, to effectively act as a backup and precautionary measure should something bad happen and I need to evacuate a lot of water fast.
Another thing to think about with these pumps is the fact that 500gph isn't a lot of flow. I'd say 1000gph would be a better starting point. Then again, I used to manage a global IP telephony network, and tend to think in terms of worst case scenario ;)
Chris
Chris

speeddreamon
07-24-2007, 03:56 PM
go with the rule 27s pump, it's the auto type and is 1100 gph, you will be happy with it for sure. **edit, note that the 27s is 1100gph and the same form and size as the 500gph in the photos earlier in the thread*** i have two of them and they run in "auto" mode all the time. i even leave the boat on the water overnight and leave the bilge on the whole time. when you take a wave or otherwise "goof off" and get some water, you'll be happy to have two pumps, it's a nice warm feeling of safety.
i have two optima d34 blue tops and i splurged and bought billet boxes from dana marine products. i opted for white powder coat. it's a very solid mount.
as for the bilge blower, i have two 3" inline blowers. attwood and rule both make these.
i have each battery on a completely separate circuit. i will run the boat on one battery for a while and switch. if i ever goof up and run a battery down, i always have the second one. if i want, i can run both at once, but i don't do that very often. don't bother with fancy diode isolation and fancy regulators and stuff, just have two toggles...one for each battery...and pick which one you want to have on. periodically, turn on the other battery and keep both charged while roosting about the lake.
you'll find tons of pics on my web page, if you want to see the full set of pics, click on the "image vault" link and you can browse by category.
no advise on ignition or intake manifold from me...sorry
hope this helps.