PDA

View Full Version : They're still out there

old rigger
11-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Got back from Big Bear last Monday night, and dropped off my 12 years old daughter's girl friend at her house on the way home. Pulled up in her driveway just as it was starting to rain, and noticed a water ski sticker in the rear window of her dad's Suburban. I asked her if they had a boat, and she said yes they did but she didn't have a clue to what it was, other than it was old and it use to belong to her Grand-pa. When her dad came to the truck, I asked what they had, he said, in kind of a hurry because of the rain, it was a '65 Rayson Craft with a 427 Ford.
This girl called tonight to talk to my daughter, and I got her dad on the phone. The boat was his wife's dad's boat new. It's gone through a few uncles but its been theirs for 6 or 7 years now. Still has the original engine, now on it's 3rd rebuild. Oh yeah, it's a wood decker too!!!!
He did say that they are tiring of it a little because of the rough water at Parker, and his wife doesn't like shifting the boat in reverse. Her sister just got a new Carrera and they really like that kind of boat now. Plus the glass on the deck needs to be re-done and they're not sure about that. And they don't have room in the garage anymore because of the Sea-doos.
Gonna have to keep an eye on this one.
He invited me to come over and look at it anytime.
Might just take him up on it.

superdave013
11-17-2001, 09:47 PM
You must alot of space for all those projects!
How is the Spectra comming along?

old rigger
11-18-2001, 10:05 AM
Superdave,
No I don't have alot of room. I just sold the 41. So in the garage now has a '28 tudor and my T. The Spectra is up in Big Bear until I'm ready to do somemore work on the hull. I'm still in the gathering parts mode.
As much as I'd like to have a wooddeck flattie, with 3 kids, it makes more sense to have the 21'. It would be fun to at least look at it (the 65 rayson craft)though. If I brought it home, I would end up having to sleep in it.
By the way, I just got back from a little swap meet for early ford stuff and I was going to try to hook up with Hottrodder. He said he might show up in his 37. Well, only saw one 37 there so I kinda hung out until the owner came back. I asked the guy if he had a Mandella, he looked at me kinda funny and said that yes, he did indeed have one. He asked why I would ask that. Told him about this site and so on. To make a long story short(it wasn't hottrodder) this guy use to work for Sanger Jack back in the 60's and was friends of Lou Brummett. He said Jacks funeral was kind of a whos-who of the old racing days. The Mandella he has is one that he just recently found and bought the thing to save it from being junked. 17 or 18', he wasn't sure, tandem trailer and v-drive and hardware is there. No seats or motor. 600 bucks. Hell, the Casele is worth that.

superdave013
11-18-2001, 10:12 AM
The Casale is worth more that that! Shows you how small of a world it is meeting people like that.
So you have a place in Big Bear. I go up there alot. Inlaws live on Moonridge. I race downhill mountain bikes at Summit. Just another sicko thing I'm into.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited November 18, 2001).]

11-18-2001, 11:46 AM
Oldrigger, Keep an eye on that Rayson, if you don't want it or don't want to sleep in it [its not as bad as it sounds] I know a few people who would be interested, myself included. One more isn't going to make much difference.

pgf127rt
11-18-2001, 01:26 PM
If any one is interested, I have a 1976 Hondo flat for sale, it has a 12 deg. casale, w/whirlaway, David Key 460 Ford roller motor all iron, MSD crank trigger ignition,7 box, 3 gal. cool can gas tank, Menkens lockup prop, tandem axle trailer, older multicolor paint,(looks good at 100mph), the hull is a 2" ultrlight P-deck, with all the instruments by autometer, boat will run 11.00 second class with some left over, engine is a single carb (1050 Dominator) any other questions email me @ pgf127rt@hotmail.com.Price is $9000.00 neg.

old rigger
11-18-2001, 03:27 PM
Surerdave,
We're in Moonridge too. Near the corner of Elm and Switzreland. We can walk to Snow Summit ot Bear Mountain.
I'll try to get to this guys place to look at the Mandella, and will take sone digi photos..........

hottrodder
11-19-2001, 07:27 AM
old rigger: Sorry I missed you. Please see my post in 'the Fever' thread. I saw that '37 Tudor slant back. Tan at the end of the entry road right? A '37 and a Mandella. I bet you thought you had a match. Well again I'm sorry I missed you I don't know what to say.
Your friends tape does sound like the same as in my little collection. I'm waiting for Stab-n-Steers address to send my first few to copy.

72 superlite
11-25-2001, 10:07 PM
Hey Oldrigger, I noticed in one of your posts in this topic, that you mentioned Jacks funeral. Was that Jack Davidson of Sanger Boats? My dad knew him. If it was him, when did we lose him? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Rick

old rigger
11-26-2001, 08:41 AM
72 SL,
Yeah, the one and only Sanger Jack. He passed away this summer. There was a little blurb about it in one of the recent Hot Boats.
This is the type of stuff, the history of Sanger boats (or any manufacturer for that matter) that would be great stuff for Hot Boat to do stories on, not just a little note when someone dies. There's tons of history out there that will never be covered because those boat builders are no longer around, so they don't bring in the advertising dollars.
I understand what sells the magazine. I understand the importance of advertising to the magazine. I understand the value of boat tests and bolt-on items and regattas and awards and so on, to the advertisers, so I doubt that any such coverage would ever come about.
You might see a story on Howard Boats or Lavey Boats, as an example, because the name is are still around. I doubt you will see a story on Al Lavey or Howard Brown. Too bad.
Maybe that's one of the good things about this site. If it's something that we want to know more about, or enjoy reading stories about the old V-drives ( or old boats in general) and their builders, then I guess this is it.
I personaly feel there would be enough interest to justify doing a history lesson type of story in the magazine. I think it would be fun. Plus, when someone sees the name Howard, Lavey, Hallett or countless others, they would know the people that started and built these legendary boats.
But what the hell do I know.
OK. Starting to ramble again. Sorry.

11-26-2001, 10:00 AM
2 or 3 years ago Hot Boat did an article on the History of the Hot boat. Even though article was short [2 issues] there was alot of interesting information in it. Maybe Hot Boat Can re-run and expand on those articles.
[This message has been edited by 058 (edited November 26, 2001).]

spectras only
11-26-2001, 10:48 AM
It was the 1998 nov/dec issue.The first 30 years of SoCal customs between 1950-1980.It was a condensed version ,and could be easily expanded into a book from archives!Hot Boat could do it if they want it!

11-26-2001, 09:34 PM
Spectras only, What kind of arm twisting do we have to do to get HB to reprint and expand on those articles? Maybe they should interview Old Rigger for more info.

spectras only
11-27-2001, 12:16 PM
I'm going to talk to Brian Davidson about a different venue,but will ask him if Hot Boat would consider doing a more thorough article.Bob Brown is also very knowledgeable about older boats and I think he would be tickled if was asked to reasearch the feasability of making a book.You see a lot of books on older mahogany boats power or sail,why not a compilation of all of these ***boats including daycruisers.I remember a magazine [lost it unfortunately]on the birth of the california daycruiser ,I think it was the 32 foot Campbell of midsixties.I'm sure there were others even earlier ,but the image of that particular model is still with me.The newer 32 Campbell has less graceful lines [practicality I guess].If there was a book out there that covered this three or four decades I would definately buy it! Think about it HOT BOAT !!!

old rigger
11-27-2001, 12:22 PM
Interview Old Rigger??? That sounds like a screwed up deal if I ever heard one.
I know jack shit about this stuff, but I sure do like reading about it.
You guys need to keep the early and not so early V-drive stories commin'. I know that there has to be a million of them. Every guy that owned a boat has at least one.
058....need your e-mail or something so I can get this copy of the early footage of my neighbors I made for you, to you.

old rigger
11-27-2001, 12:46 PM
Spectras only,
I think there's room in the mag every month for a "looking back " type of thing. I know that you can't compare Hot Boat to most of the car magizines because the majority of Hot Boat is new boat stuff. Car mags have to cater to the advertisers of the bolt-on products and to a certain extent, Hot Boat does too, along with making all the new boat builders that advertise with them happy . Hot Boat is almost the only game in town, and they cover an entire industry. Most car mags cover only a specialized portion of the field, but alot of them do articles on the history of hot rodding. I think it would work in Hot Boat too.
As I said in an earlier post, Bob Brown would be my choice for putting a book together too. He's been around for ever and been involved with boats in a lot of different areas. Plus he's a good writer.
Not to change the subject, but, I wonder how long Brian and Kevin have been with Hot Boat now? I can't even think back to the year that I first met them of where I was working at the time. Late 70's? I don't know.

spectras only
11-27-2001, 02:09 PM
OR, Brian used to sell spectras in the seventies,so it would make him and Bob a veteran ***boater.I think Kevin joined later [80's]and became editor.I have a few nicely made books on cars,one of my favorite is "50 years of the American automobile".It's not only beautifully illustrated, but completely detailed about production numbers,engine availibility,and horsepower figures.Riva has a website ,where you can see all their production models ,including the classics.Hot Boat could do something similar on all the models ,besides the Hot Boat Cove site.Hot Boat may hate me for all these suggestions[more work to do http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif],but it may even increase readership for that matter.I've switched from collector cars to new cars ,but still buy magazines with old car/motorcycle contents.

Stab-n-Steer
11-27-2001, 04:44 PM
Old Rig,
You are absolutely right about the car magazine vs. the boat mags. Hot Boat is the only game in town and there must be an interest for a nostalgia section from time to time. I am into street rods as well as boats. As you know, the street rodders have been going through a nostalgia craze the last few years and there are a zillion publications covering it. There is even a magazine dedicated to cigar smokers for God's sake! I can't imagine a Hot Boat version for classic hot rods of the water wouldn't make it. Sign me up!
The nostalgia thing has gotten a hold of me with the cars and the boats. I'm trying to do the Beezer as "period" as possible but still have some modern amenities like putting in a velvet drive so I can have reverse and neutral... The original configuration had direct drive with 27% overdrive. At 800 rpm, which is as low as it would idle, I was going like 15 mph. People hated me in the "no wake" zones. I remember going through the marinas in the delta and these pompus a-holes would be sitting on the back of their 50' cruisers drinking martinis yelling at me with their bullhorns to "Watch your wake!" Like my 6" wake was going to spill their martini... Give me a break! I was constantly shutting the engine off and on to keep the wake down as much as possible. Kinda hard on the starter and battery after awhile.
Randy

11-27-2001, 06:42 PM
Old Rigger, Thank you for copying the tape. My email address is svopwr@aol.com I'll be more than happy to cover any cost incured and I'll return it to you or pass it on to whoever you want. Again, thank you for your time and trouble, Bob.

11-29-2001, 09:08 AM
Back to the top, Oldrigger, you and I must run around with the same people 'cause I know Jack Shit too. Do you know his brother Dum?

old rigger
11-29-2001, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 058:
"Do you know his brother Dumb?"
you're talking to him.

11-29-2001, 07:23 PM
If you're dumb then I must be the f**kin Pope!..............."Back to the top James and thru the park, you know how I like the park"