PDA

View Full Version : Commander peeps, chime in please.

Inked
07-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Im looking at boats and the 28' Commander cat with a Merc 525 is on the list, what are the pros and cons???
Thanks.......:idea:

bordsmnj
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
oh, this is gonna be one of those "winter time threads".:eek:

CBadDad
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Pretty good boat for a good price.
The ballers will diss it, but everyone else will cruise by and say "nice boat".
I haven't any problems at all with my Commander.

Havasu1986
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I bumped one for you in the spam section with a 496.

Inked
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
I had a 496 HO on my Magic, it was cool..... But Im thinkin' a little more go would be cool..... I want an E-Ticket but damn thats some coin....:mad:

Ziggy
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I echo CBD's assessment...and I also have had no complaints about either of the Commanders I had/have...
Truthfully, in both of them the only problems have only been with the drivelines. A jetpump bearing in one and a warranty Mercury outdrive issue in the other.
Everyone has an opinion and they will vary. Just like I don't exactly think Eliminator is all that great..... ;):D:D but that's just my opinion. :)

Throttle
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
if you want a boat that looks like a Cobra... commander is a good choice... nobody splashes better...

Inked
07-11-2007, 06:46 AM
:idea: okie dokie

drtywhat
07-11-2007, 06:48 AM
What I dont understand is why you are going from a Magic to a commander??? :confused: :confused:

Inked
07-11-2007, 06:58 AM
What I dont understand is why you are going from a Magic to a commander??? :confused: :confused:
Im not as of yet, just looking... Wanted a boat with a bigger motor, Im also looking at the 30' Magic DB..... Im looking at a lot of options, just getting info on this particular boat:idea:

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 07:07 AM
For the price, I think Commander makes a good boat. The only problems I have had are with the Merc engine, a bad water preasure sensor and grommets (if that is correct, I don't remember) on the heat exchanger went bad on me once. I have gone through some nasty chop out in Havasu doing 40mph and nothing has come loose so far, it has stayed together real well. You will not be surprised with their building in Corona thats for sure, and I can't comment on the one in Perris cause I have never been there.

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 07:10 AM
if you want a boat that looks like a Cobra... commander is a good choice... nobody splashes better...
Thats pretty funny, considering Commander has been around a lot longer than Cobra.:)

Inked
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
For the price, I think Commander makes a good boat. The only problems I have had are with the Merc engine, a bad water preasure sensor and grommets (if that is correct, I don't remember) on the heat exchanger went bad on me once. I have gone through some nasty chop out in Havasu doing 40mph and nothing has come loose so far, it has stayed together real well. You will not be surprised with their building in Corona thats for sure, and I can't comment on the one in Perris cause I have never been there.
cool thanks................

havaduner
07-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Thats pretty funny, considering Commander has been around a lot longer than Cobra.:)
Length of time in business has nothing to do with originality, especially when it comes to gel coat designs.:mad:

THOR
07-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Quit stating the obvious. :D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Length of time in business has nothing to do with originality, especially when it comes to gel coat designs.:mad:
Look, I am not a Commander fanboy, I am just stating what I know, I do not work for them and I did not buy mine new from Commander. I though Throttle was talking about the shape of the boat, not the gelcoat. If you are going to decide on a boat manufacturer on the basis of not splashing, then you are not going to be buying a boat unless it is a Trident.
Inked asked Commander owners about their boat and what they thought about them, not about who they splash. Cobra has not been around long enough to be splashed that much, if anything I am sure Commander has been splashing more stablished boat manufactures than Cobra. Even the gelcoat on Throttles boat is not a Cobra original, but I guess it is ok if Cobra splashes other makers.

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Current Scorecard I got:
Commander 4
Cobra 2

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Im looking at boats and the 28' Commander cat with a Merc 525 is on the list, what are the pros and cons???
Pro's = Cheap
Con's = Shitbox.
RD <---- not a baller either. :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:09 AM
By the way to answer the ole, "I've never had any problems with my commander."
Well I gots news for ya.. Hyndai offers america's best warranty as well. My friend had an old Hyndai excel that clipped 300K in the mileage department. He never argued with anybody that it was even up with a benz though.
RD

bigq
07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
I had two a 21 and 24' both new. Sy builds a solid hull and good graphics for the price. It will not be rigged like a DCB, quite a few lees zipties, but the boat is a good price.
The problems they have had Sy, the owner, is trying to address. I would not in the past take it in for service by them.
I would stick with the 28' for bottom reasons. People complain about a lot of manufactures for various reasons, even Magic:D

bigq
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Pro's = Cheap
Con's = Shitbox.
could you clarify "Shitbox"....

Biglue
07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
My 26 Signature has been a good boat so far. Only problems I have had have been with my outdrive (blew my top gear). That and I have had to retighten my bow rail after a few trips.
I also bought mine used because I believe that is the way to go. I understand that my boat is no Lavey or DCB, but the boat I believe is the well worth the money I spent on it.
BTW, I almost bought a new Cobra too. Looked at new Commanders as well. The difference in cost was not justifiable IMO. Then I found mine with only 32 hours when I went to go see it and saved a bunch more than buying either from the above mentioned builders new. No dirt in Cobra's eyes from me tho. I think they build a beautiful boat with awesome lines.
BTW Throttle, It's fairly safe to say that Cobra splashed my splashed Commander graphics on your boat. :D :D ;)

bigq
07-11-2007, 08:20 AM
huh....I always thought cobra looked like an Ultra Custom boat...:eek:

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 08:26 AM
lmao---as I said, opinions will vary.....just like ass and tit sizes.. :D
Juan bought Family Affairs boat if I remember correctly. Its a beautiful boat.
I've talked with a few highly respected folks here on HB about boat qualities and none of them can really understand why so many people think only their boat is the best....oh yeah, it has another 20lbs of zipties in it.:rolleyes: Their opinion was that if it floats, looks nice, gets you on and off the lake safely and you're happy with it then its a great boat....simple as that. If someone is worried about what others think then they'll end up spending thousands more for it.......
and for the record...I haven't read about any Commanders coming apart running accross the lake. ;) :)

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 08:26 AM
BTW Throttle, It's fairly safe to say that Cobra splashed my splashed Commander graphics on your boat. :D :D ;)
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Sup foo............haven't seen you on the water this year ??

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 08:29 AM
By the way to answer the ole, "I've never had any problems with my commander."
Well I gots news for ya.. Hyndai offers america's best warranty as well. My friend had an old Hyndai excel that clipped 300K in the mileage department. He never argued with anybody that it was even up with a benz though.
RD
I don't think any Commander owner is saying their boat is up to the level of a Lavey, Ultra or any other very well respected boat builder, but I don't think calling Commanders shitbox is right.

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't think any Commander owner is saying their boat is up to the level of a Lavey, Ultra or any other very well respected boat builder, but I don't think calling Commanders shitbox is right.
What would you call it then? A good "entry" level boat?
RD

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
I've talked with a few highly respected folks here on HB about boat qualities and none of them can really understand why so many people think only their boat is the best....oh yeah, it has another 20lbs of zipties in it.:rolleyes: Their opinion was that if it floats, looks nice, gets you on and off the lake safely and you're happy with it then its a great boat....simple as that. If someone is worried about what others think then they'll end up spending thousands more for it.......
and for the record...I haven't read about any Commanders coming apart running accross the lake. ;) :)
Thats correct Ziggy, and thanks.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Sup foo............haven't seen you on the water this year ??
Hey Rude-ster. How are you doing? Shit man, I've made it to Parker once this year. Work has me slammed and all. I should be able to see some river time in a few weeks. I have made a few local trips. S'bout it. Miss being out there man. :mad:

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
HB have a "Box" ???? :idea:

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Hey Rude-ster. How are you doing? Shit man, I've made it to Parker once this year. Work has me slammed and all. I should be able to see some river time in a few weeks. I have made a few local trips. S'bout it. Miss being out there man. :mad:
Just got back from 10 days at Havi.. hope to see you out there soon.

Ziggy
RDHow about just a good boat.........
Hyundai is a good car too.

Biglue
but I don't think calling Commanders shitbox is right.
Everything is a shit box when you don't own a boat. :D :D :D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
RD
I don't know what I would call it, but I know it has not come apart on me in the two years I have owned it, so I would not call it a shitbox either.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Just got back from 10 days at Havi.. hope to see you out there soon.
10 day???? Damn. I'll give you a holler when I plan on being out there. Shold be in a couple weeks actually.

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
ROTFLMAO.
Right for the jugular Lue...:D:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
contrary to the popular belief on ***boat, rigging isn't all about zipties.
The next time you go to a BMW gathering though, you could ask the same question.. What makes a Bimmer better then a Hyndai? I'd bet 99% of the people wouldn't be able to give you a legit reason.
Ultimately the people that know, know..
Cheaper materials, shady company, slip shot workmanship, and my all time favorite empty beer cans in the ole bildge upon delivery of a new boat. ;)
If your really curious, go measure how straight the swim steps actually are? Go measure where the guages actually landed on the dash. Go pull an interior panel off and look behind it. Notice that damn near nothing is through bolted on the boat.
I've gotten into the debates before on here. The problem I have with it is people will say things like "It's not a top tier builder" but then turn around and tell someone else "It's just as good as that boat for 1000's less!!"
The problem is they say the latter so many times they start to believe it. That seriously is a spit in the face to the guys that put in the actual work at companies such as, Howard, Hallett, Cole, Schiada, DCB, Lavey etc.. etc..
The bottom line is this.. It costs less, becuase it is less.
Make no mistake Commander is on the bottom of the totum pole.. Point in fact if it wasn't for Aftershock I think they'd be dead last in the custom boat market.
RD

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
How about just a good boat.........
Hyundai is a good car too.
What's a bad car?
RD :D

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
What I see the most complaints about on Commander builds around here is the rigging, because its not comparetively as clean as other makers....hense the ziptie jokes that get thrown around. I haven't seen complaints about the hulls or their integrity.
I have seen complaints about their service dept but I think thats been addressed a few years back now......

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
What's a bad car?
RD :Done that doesn't run:D .....I always say that there really isn't a bad car on the road anymore, it comes down to personal choice and what fits peoples budgets....

Phat Matt
07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I had a 496 HO on my Magic, it was cool..... But Im thinkin' a little more go would be cool..... I want an E-Ticket but damn thats some coin....:mad:
I went from a Commander to an E-ticket. Just skip one step and get the E-ticket. :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey man don't get me wrong.. I might own a commander in years to come. I kinda doubt it, but ya never know? If I saw the right boat at the right price i'd buy it. But it is what it is, I would'nt be touting from the roof tops that it's a bad ass west coast custom boat. The sad thing is, if I did buy one my OCD would make me take it entirely apart and start over and it would be a bad ass "custom" boat by the end of the day.. never get the $$$ out of it though.
I don't know what I would call it, but I know it has not come apart on me in the two years I have owned it, so I would not call it a shitbox either.
What is yours a 26? How do you really think it'd compare is rough water.. I mean in the ocean against say..
A 26 Lavey?
A Hallett 270?
Or hell even a 24' Lavey? 24' Hallett?
shit I'll take it a step further.. How about a 24' Schiada? Now how about a 22 v-drive? Now how about a 21?
You don't have to build a "solid" 26' boat to go lake boating..
RD

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
What I see the most complaints about on Commander builds around here is the rigging, because its not comparetively as clean as other makers....hense the ziptie jokes that get thrown around. I haven't seen complaints about the hulls or their integrity.
I have seen complaints about their service dept but I think thats been addressed a few years back now......
Not just not as clean, but cheapest hardware available as well.
Ironically enough Hallett uses the cheapest shit too on their floor models.. but they make their shit look good, and through bolt everything so I guess they can get away with it.. LOL

Jordy
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Damn Lue... :jawdrop: :eek: :D
His girl does though. Does that count??? :idea: :jawdrop: :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Damn Lue... :jawdrop: :eek: :D
His girl does though. Does that count??? :idea: :jawdrop: :D
I'm gettin another boat here soon enough.. ;)
You own a boat right now turbo? :D
RD

HM
07-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Commander original bad reputation was on the quality of the lay up (chopper gun specials). The lay ups for years were inconsistent in quality ranging from o.k. to "was the guy drunk running the chopper gun?" I think they have done better at getting them layed up to a minimum standard. I saw several repairs to commanders at OC Boat Repair basically because the hull was falling apart. Keels going soft was very common. I have seen some failry decent commanders too. They are what they are...and I think RD nailed it as an entry level ***boat - but I too just shake my head when these people turn an say...it is just as nice for a lot less. Ignorance is bliss. :D

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
contrary to the popular belief on ***boat, rigging isn't all about zipties.
The next time you go to a BMW gathering though, you could ask the same question.. What makes a Bimmer better then a Hyndai? I'd bet 99% of the people wouldn't be able to give you a legit reason.
Ultimately the people that know, know..
Cheaper materials, shady company, slip shot workmanship, and my all time favorite empty beer cans in the ole bildge upon delivery of a new boat. ;)
If your really curious, go measure how straight the swim steps actually are? Go measure where the guages actually landed on the dash. Go pull an interior panel off and look behind it. Notice that damn near nothing is through bolted on the boat.
I've gotten into the debates before on here. The problem I have with it is people will say things like "It's not a top tier builder" but then turn around and tell someone else "It's just as good as that boat for 1000's less!!"
The problem is they say the latter so many times they start to believe it. That seriously is a spit in the face to the guys that put in the actual work at companies such as, Howard, Hallett, Cole, Schiada, DCB, Lavey etc.. etc..
Make no mistake Commander is on the bottom of the totum pole.. Point in fact if it wasn't for Aftershock I think they'd be dead last in the custom boat market.
RD
I can't answer that with a straight face either...refer to my other post.
So quality can only be acheived by high cost builders??? Lets talk about a finding a beer bottle within the structure of a high quality european brand car....yep its true.....nightmare warranty issue. Customer had this rattle noise that never could be pinpointed....until the inner sheet metal was cut open to find a beer bottle inside, empty of course.

Jordy
07-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm gettin another boat here soon enough.. ;)
You own a boat right now turbo? :D
RD
Sure do. Still got the only jet boat you said you'd ever consider owning. Besides, you know that I'd keep my mouth shut if you could come back with something so simple about me not owning a boat. ;)
Shopping for big shitboxes right now though... ;)
I will agree that it's kind of focked up to call and entire line of boats shitboxes. Even with all my critiques of Kachina, I've never bashed their construction, just their choice in art work (notice I didn't say graphics? ;) ) that they choose to put on their fiberglass. :D

HM
07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Sure do. Still got the only jet boat you said you'd ever consider owning. ;)
Shopping for big shitboxes right now though... ;)
I will agree that it's kind of focked up to call and entire line of boats shitboxes. Even with all my critiques of Kachina, I've never bashed their construction, just their choice in art work (notice I didn't say graphics? ;) ) that they choose to put on their fiberglass. :D
You still got that Schiada Jet Boat? That is a great jet boat...except for the lime green color if I remember right.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey man don't get me wrong.. I might own a commander in years to come. I kinda doubt it, but ya never know? If I saw the right boat at the right price i'd buy it. But it is what it is, I would'nt be touting from the roof tops that it's a bad ass west coast custom boat. The sad thing is, if I did buy one my OCD would make me take it entirely apart and start over and it would be a bad ass "custom" boat by the end of the day.. never get the $$$ out of it though.
What is yours a 26? How do you really think it'd compare is rough water.. I mean in the ocean against say..
A 26 Lavey?
A Hallett 270?
shit I'll take it a step further.. How about a 24' Schiada? Now how about a 22 v-drive? Now how about a 21?
RD
I hear what you are saying. Commander is obviously not in the same standard as Lavey or DCB. I look at it for what it is. If you're going to be on a lake in less than typically rough conditions then why over invest your money into a highly depreciating asset? The way I look at it, is I can get to a sandbar, chanel, cove for a lot less money a month. ;)
I came to that conclusion after I bought my boat BTW. I think I would have been a litlle disappointed had I gone spent more money on my boat.

Jbb
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
RD
:p

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
A 26 Lavey?
A Hallett 270?
RD
Yes, it is a 26, but I don't know how it compares to those other boats because I have never owned them or even compared them, or stated that my boat is comparable to a Lavey or Hallet or any other boat builder. All I have said is that I don't think it is a shitbox.

Jordy
07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
You still got that Schiada Jet Boat? That is a great jet boat...except for the lime green color if I remember right.
Hey, the lime green disco sparkle metallic was just ahead of it's time. I've seen some on a few new non-shitbox type boats lately, and no, I don't have that boat anymore. Sold it to 78Eliminator after I got my Riviera shitbox and before my 21' Schiada River Cruiser shitbox. :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 09:02 AM
I can't answer that with a straight face either...refer to my other post.
So quality can only be acheived by high cost builders??? Lets talk about a finding a beer bottle within the structure of a high quality european brand car....yep its true.....nightmare warranty issue. Customer had this rattle noise that never could be pinpointed....until the inner sheet metal was cut open to find a beer bottle inside, empty of course.
To answer your question plainly.. Yes! Quality components cost more $$$, which cost more on retail. Quality workmanship = higher labor costs which costs more on retail, spending the extra time to do things right with higher cost labor raises costs on rigging exponentially. So the ole saying "you get what you pay for" does hold true in the boating market.
RD

HM
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey, the lime green disco sparkle metallic was just ahead of it's time. I've seen some on a few new non-shitbox type boats lately, and no, I don't have that boat anymore. Sold it to 78Eliminator after I got my Riviera shitbox and before my 21' Schiada River Cruiser shitbox. :D
Ahead of it's timing meaning moments before the sun explodes and everyone is blind? :D

havaduner
07-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Look, I am not a Commander fanboy, I am just stating what I know, I do not work for them and I did not buy mine new from Commander. I though Throttle was talking about the shape of the boat, not the gelcoat. If you are going to decide on a boat manufacturer on the basis of not splashing, then you are not going to be buying a boat unless it is a Trident.
Inked asked Commander owners about their boat and what they thought about them, not about who they splash. Cobra has not been around long enough to be splashed that much, if anything I am sure Commander has been splashing more stablished boat manufactures than Cobra. Even the gelcoat on Throttles boat is not a Cobra original, but I guess it is ok if Cobra splashes other makers.
Look, this thread like many others, can and is going the way of "my brand is better than your brand" and I try to stay out of them. All I was doing was stating the obvious. Just so you know, your gel coat design is a "splash" of my original Cobra design. Is Throttle's design original, I dont know, and his design does look somewhat like Lue's. But there is another Commander that looks EXACTLY like Throttle's. I know of Several original Cobra designs that have ended up on Commanders in the same colors. As far as Trident, somebody will take one of their "original" gelcoats, tweak it a bit and it'll end up on another brand somewhere eventually. Oh, and I would never buy a boat based on gel coat alone.

havaduner
07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Lime green disco metallic is making a comeback!!!:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I hear what you are saying. Commander is obviously not in the same standard as Lavey or DCB. I look at it for what it is. If you're going to be on a lake in less than typically rough conditions then why over invest your money into a highly depreciating asset? The way I look at it, is I can get to a sandbar, chanel, cove for a lot less money a month. ;)
I came to that conclusion after I bought my boat BTW. I think I would have been a litlle disappointed had I gone spent more money on my boat.
Great question right there.. Ultimately though quality shit doesn't really depreciate that much if at all believe it or not. I know guys that bought Hallett's new, and sold them used for more then they payed. Same with most the other mfg's I listed. DCB seems to be the only exception to the rule, their resale isn't all that good (judging by the spam section and the boat traders), but in reality they are way over priced anyways from the get go so the resale is just taking up the slack.
RD

Jordy
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
So are DCB's zip-ties better than the ones that Commander uses??? How about Trident??? Are their zip-ties up to par with the ones that Ultra is using??? :idea: :jawdrop: :D
Or are all shitboxe's zip-ties created equally??? :idea:

rivercrazy
07-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Some zip ties are marine rated and UV resistant!

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
To answer your question plainly.. Yes! Quality components cost more $$$, which cost more on retail. Quality workmanship = higher labor costs which costs more on retail, spending the extra time to do things right with higher cost labor raises costs on rigging exponentially. So the ole saying "you get what you pay for" does hold true in the boating market.
RDCan't argue with that since a component such as a well respected Mercury is the only issue I've had on mine.
I got what I paid for and I'm satisfied with it...and I save about 10-15g's for a comparibly sized competitors boat.
The same arguement has gone around here time and time again..its old..:) and boring.
If you want a BMW from me ya better hurry, I only got a week or two left before the store ain't mine anymore... :D:D That blue and white emblem costs extra ya know ;)

H20 Toie
07-11-2007, 09:13 AM
You get what you pay for is very true with Commander. i know a lot of people that have them and enjoy the hell out of them. I had one for ten years, Would i buy one again (NEVER) and that is just becuase of the lack of support that you get from the factory once you buy the boat.
Trust me i could go on and on about how messed up of a company they are. If your going to buy used then i would say go for it, ( just never take it back for any work) if new then there are way better companies that will stand behind there product and those are the companies that you should support.

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Look, this thread like many others, can and is going the way of "my brand is better than your brand" and I try to stay out of them. All I was doing was stating the obvious. Just so you know, your gel coat design is a "splash" of my original Cobra design. Is Throttle's design original, I dont know, and his design does look somewhat like Lue's. But there is another Commander that looks EXACTLY like Throttle's. I know of Several original Cobra designs that have ended up on Commanders in the same colors. As far as Trident, somebody will take one of their "original" gelcoats, tweak it a bit and it'll end up on another brand somewhere eventually. Oh, and I would never buy a boat based on gel coat alone.
Cool, post a pic cause I have yet to see another boat with it. It would be nice to know where my gel came from.

Jordy
07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
So far we've touched on:
Commander.
Aftershock.
DCB.
Kachina.
Mercury.
Hallett.
Schiada.
Lavey.
E-ticket.
Cobra.
Riviera.
Hyundai.
Mercedes.
BMW.
Shitboxes.
Have a feeling we're going to need some of this:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23popcorn.jpg
:D :D :D
p.s. RD SUX!!! :D

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Great question right there.. Ultimately though quality shit doesn't really depreciate that much if at all believe it or not. I know guys that bought Hallett's new, and sold them used for more then they payed. Same with most the other mfg's I listed. DCB seems to be the only exception to the rule, their resale isn't all that good (judging by the spam section and the boat traders), but in reality they are way over priced anyways from the get go so the resale is just taking up the slack.
RD I sold my first commander for $800 less than I paid for it new...10 yrs later............guess low quality holds its value too....
Its all in the eyes of the beholder...............I doubt anyone will ever see things the same way......thats humane nature.

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
So far we've touched on:
Commander.
Aftershock.
DCB.
Kachina.
Mercury.
Hallett.
Schiada.
Lavey.
E-ticket.
Riviera.
Hyundai.
Mercedes.
BMW.
Shitboxes.
Have a feeling we're going to need some of this:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23popcorn.jpg
p.s. RD SUX!!! :D
:D:D: You forgot my jet pump bearing...12je

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I sold my first commander for $800 less than I paid for it new...10 yrs later............guess low quality holds its value too....
Its all in the eyes of the beholder...............I doubt anyone will ever see things the same way......thats humane nature.
Ziggy your a car salesman.. You could buy a bag of ice for a 1.79 watch it melt, and the add to sell it would read something like "Why wait for your ice to melt? We've already done the work for you!! Freshly melted ice in a bag yours now only 2.50!!! Your wife and kids will LOVE IT!!" Somebody would probably swoop on it as well..
RD ;)

H20 Toie
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I sold my first commander for $800 less than I paid for it new...10 yrs later............guess low quality holds its value too....
but if you had a differnt boat you could have made money

rivercrazy
07-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Most of the reason boats seem to have held their value over the last decade are due primarily to:
1) Inflation
2) Relatively strong economy and very easy credit approval terms
3) Rising purchase prices of new boats, which has helped the used market considerably.
4) Since most people finance these purchases with very little down payment, the price of used boats has some element of a floor as resale needs to be close to what is needed to payoff the originating loan.
Quality and reptuation helps but IMHO isn't the primary drivers taking place here.
Just look at the used market in this economic cycle. Prices are softening significantly and its taking much longer to sell.

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Hey Inked..Aren't you glad you asked..:eek: :D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
You did good Zigster. To be honest with you, I think I can sell my boat for what I paid for as well. I bought 2 1/2 years ago and I paid anywhere from 6 to 12K less than what used is going for today. If I keep the hours within reason I think it could be done. I guess what helps us boat owners at resale is the rising costs to build new boats. I was told by a boat builder that it get's more expensive to build boats by about 10% a year.
Cool, post a pic cause I have yet to see another boat with it. It would be nice to know where my gel came from.
I'd like to see a pic as well. I have yet to see anything close to that gel scheme either.

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Ziggy your a car salesman.. You could buy a bag of ice for a 1.79 watch it melt, and the add to sell it would read something like "Why wait for your ice to melt? We've already done the work for you!! Freshly melted ice in a bag yours now only 2.50!!! Your wife and kids will LOVE IT!!" Somebody would probably swoop on it as well..
RD ;)
I didn't sell it myself......and that $800 loss was after I paid a commission ;)
but if you had a differnt boat you could have made money using it for 10 years was my benefit in my eyes.
Most of the reason boats seem to have held their value over the last decade are due primarily to:
1) Inflation
2) Relatively strong economy and very easy credit approval terms
3) Rising purchase prices of new boats, which has helped the used market considerably.
4) Since most people finance these purchases with very little down payment, the price of used boats has some element of a floor as resale needs to be close to what is needed to payoff the originating loan.
Quality and reptuation helps but IMHO isn't the primary drivers taking place here.
Exactly......:)
In my case it happened to be a cash deal, if I'd waited longer then I could probably have sold it for plenty more...I hate being greedy though.

eliminatedsprinter
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm not getting the what company "splashes" who's gelcoats discussion here.:) Commader has been known for colorfull gelcoats since long before Cobra was around. Plus, custom boats gelcoats usually are based on what individual customers want. If a person sees a gelcoat they like and they take a pic of it to any builder and order a new boat with somthing similar, chances are, that is what they will get. If any customer or builder comes up with a good looking color scheme and or pattern, chances are other customers will like it and order similar ones..

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
. To be honest with you, I think I can sell my boat for what I paid for as well. I bought 2 1/2 years ago and I paid anywhere from 6 to 12K less than what used is going for today. If I keep the hours within reason I think it could be done. I guess what helps us boat owners at resale is the rising costs to build new boats. I was told by a boat builder that it get's more expensive to build boats by about 10% a year.
I'd like to see a pic as well. I have yet to see anything close to that gel scheme either.
Sell it....so you can move up to 30' :D :D
I have yet to see another reversed tribal flames :jawdrop:

Jordy
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I have yet to see another reversed tribal flames :jawdrop:
Reverse tribal flames??? Shit, all this time I thought it was a giant freshwater squid. :D :D :D

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Reverse tribal flames??? Shit, all this time I thought it was a giant freshwater squid. :D :D :D
Squids swim fast too :D

driverno8
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm on my second Commander. First was a 26' Signature with an HO. Boat ran great. Had zero issues with it. Sold it to get their 28' Deck. I love my boat. I get a ton of compliments on it. Then when I tell people the price their jaw drops. Yea, Sy is an asshole and my boat with NEVER go back for service. I don't think I'd take it back for warranty work. I personally can't stand the guy or the people that work there. But for the money you can't go wrong. Yea, a few less zip ties and maybe the somethings mounted a bit weird. But she runs great, looks great, handles great and does the exact same job as any other boat out there...it gets me where I need to go. I'd own another one in heart beat. I can't justify the $30k more for a Magic. Ofr God knows how much more for some of the other ones. You're paying for a little bit better rigging and a name. Fiberglass and vinyl are all the same, regardless of the manufacture.
I do have the HO, but wish I would have gotten the 525. I top out around 62mph fully loaded, which if fine. I would just like a bit more mid-range power. Heck 95% of the time I'm rolling 30-35mph with family on board.
I say go for it. You can't go wrong. Just stay on top of them during the build. Like phone calls every day and surprise visits. And when it's done. Grab your file and take the drawing of your graphics, because they will copy it. They did that on my first boat and I went off. Told Sy to take a saws-all to the hull. "Oh no my friend. I can not do that." He ended up giving me a lot of free shit to keep me as a customer. When we had the deck done I stood there while they taped it off and sprayed it. Went over the drawing, color chart, even walked out and looked at other boats with the guy doing the paint to show him what I wanted as far as blending, etc. Once she was out of the mold. I took the drawing.

driverno8
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I sold my 26' Signature 2 years after I had it with 90 hours on it for the exact same price as I bought it. To me that's pretty dang good.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm on my second Commander. First was a 26' Signature with an HO. Boat ran great. Had zero issues with it. Sold it to get their 28' Deck. I love my boat. I get a ton of compliments on it. Then when I tell people the price their jaw drops. Yea, Sy is an asshole and my boat with NEVER go back for service. I don't think I'd take it back for warranty work. I personally can't stand the guy or the people that work there. But for the money you can't go wrong. Yea, a few less zip ties and maybe the somethings mounted a bit weird. But she runs great, looks great, handles great and does the exact same job as any other boat out there...it gets me where I need to go. I'd own another one in heart beat. I can't justify the $30k more for a Magic. Ofr God knows how much more for some of the other ones. You're paying for a little bit better rigging and a name. Fiberglass and vinyl are all the same, regardless of the manufacture.
I do have the HO, but wish I would have gotten the 525. I top out around 62mph fully loaded, which if fine. I would just like a bit more mid-range power. Heck 95% of the time I'm rolling 30-35mph with family on board.
I say go for it. You can't go wrong. Just stay on top of them during the build. Like phone calls every day and surprise visits. And when it's done. Grab your file and take the drawing of your graphics, because they will copy it. They did that on my first boat and I went off. Told Sy to take a saws-all to the hull. "Oh no my friend. I can not do that." He ended up giving me a lot of free shit to keep me as a customer. When we had the deck done I stood there while they taped it off and sprayed it. Went over the drawing, color chart, even walked out and looked at other boats with the guy doing the paint to show him what I wanted as far as blending, etc. Once she was out of the mold. I took the drawing.
Was your 26 Sig yellow and grey as well? I remember one with those colors out your way in the trader when I was looking around.

driverno8
07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Not just not as clean, but cheapest hardware available as well.
What a f'n stupid thing to say. Stand in my boat and look around. Then go stand in someone else's that owns a competitors. It's funny how all the switches, gauges, tie downs, lights, hinges, latches and every thing else are the exact same. They are from boat to boat. Yea, mine might be mounted a little different, but that doesn't make the parts cheaper. It makes the rigging less quality. Just because my gauge faces say Commander and someones else's says Magic doesn't make them cheaper.

driverno8
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Was your 26 Sig yellow and grey as well? I remember one with those colors out your way in the trader when I was looking around.
Yep. Made the cover of the Trader one issue. Reverse tribal. Ended up selling it to a guy that owns a storage facility by Lake Mojave. Kinda nice that I don't have to see the boat every weekend in Havi. Only time I've seen it since is when I head up there and launch out of Cottonwood on a big weekend.

HM
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
What a f'n stupid thing to say.
In this corner.....:D

USCFAN
07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
If I am not mistaked Cam they use the same gelcoater don't they? When my boat was being done I talk to the gelcoater, and he said he works part-time for Cobra. I believe he worked for Commander for many years and at some point was solicited by Cobra to do some boats. Again, this is just what I was told by the guy don't know how true it is.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Yep. Made the cover of the Trader one issue. Reverse tribal. Ended up selling it to a guy that owns a storage facility by Lake Mojave. Kinda nice that I don't have to see the boat every weekend in Havi. Only time I've seen it since is when I head up there and launch out of Cottonwood on a big weekend.
Shit bro, you and I went back and forth a couple times on the phone then. I remember calling you up to go see the boat. By the time we had that convo, you had decided you were going to keep it because of something with your build or something along those lines. I saw it again in the trader after I bought mine.

Devilman
07-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Shit bro, you and I went back and forth a couple times on the phone then. I remember calling you up to go see the boat. By the time we had that convo, you had decided you were going to keep it because of something with your build or something along those lines. I saw it again in the trader after I bought mine.
You mean you screamed, shit on yourself & hung up, when your better half walked in the room & found you on the phone talking about buying a boat without proper consultation. Then after talking about it & obtaining permission, that boat was gone & you got the squid boat instead..... :D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Sell it....so you can move up to 30' :D :D
I think Dan will start that Domino effect when he tells you his is up for sale. You get your 35, I get into a 30, just gotta find who wants to move up to my 26. :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Guy, you just made my entire argument for me..
What a f'n stupid thing to say. Stand in my boat and look around. Then go stand in someone else's that owns a competitors. It's funny how all the switches, gauges, tie downs, lights, hinges, latches and every thing else are the exact same. They are from boat to boat. Yea, mine might be mounted a little different, but that doesn't make the parts cheaper. It makes the rigging less quality. Just because my gauge faces say Commander and someones else's says Magic doesn't make them cheaper.
Actually it does.. Magic's for the most part run pretty nice guages as well (for the most part) top of the line hardware.
Oh and by the way the fiberglass from mfg to mfg definately isn't the "same" if you want to know what a "f'n stupid thing to say" sounds like, well then my boy.. Reread your posts.
RD

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
You mean you screamed, shit on yourself & hung up, when your better half walked in the room & found you on the phone talking about buying a boat without proper consultation. Then after talking about it & obtaining permission, that boat was gone & you got the squid boat instead..... :D
Not quite foo. I had to take her to Vegas for a weekend. You see she wouldn't have any talk of buying a bigger boat until I found mine outside Vegas. While we were there, we took advantage and took a gander at my boat and said what the hell. :D :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
LOL.. Did it really make the cover of the trader? Buddy you pay extra for that when you put it in the trader.
That right there is the typical "commander" attitude though.. LOL skewed facts all the way to the bank. Much like the boat. Look good from the outside, but god help you if you look deeper.
In your mind your old boat made the cover of a magazine. (true statement)
In reality you paid them an extra couple hundred bucks to put it on the cover of the magazine. (far more true statement then previous)
RD

Devilman
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Not quite foo. I had to take her to Vegas for a weekend. You see she wouldn't have any talk of buying a bigger boat until I found mine outside Vegas. While we were there, we took advantage and took a gander at my boat and said what the hell. :D :D
Nice. Lot better deal than OB. I think he originally was just looking around at flower pots & couldn't find one he liked. So he took that Taylor up to his mechanic & let him convert it into one for him. LMAO :D :D :D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Dave, aren't the nicer/better gages typically an upgrade? Don't most boat builders typically start with inexpensive hardware on their boats then charge accordingly to upgrade? Take Advantage for example, they have a well known gage manufacturer for their gages, but are labeled Advantage. I can't remember the gage company at the time, but in a write up in Powerboat mag, that was the case on a forum member boat's article.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice. Lot better deal than OB. I think he originally was just looking around at flower pots & couldn't find one he liked. So he took that Taylor up to his mechanic & let him convert it into one for him. LMAO :D :D :D
You telling me OB can't even buy flower pots without asking his wife???? :D :D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I think it is funny how the OP was asking Commander owners what they though, but non Commander owners have to jump in and start giving their opinion. Guess it would not be ***boat otherwise.:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Dave, aren't the nicer/better gages typically an upgrade? Don't most boat builders typically start with inexpensive hardware on their boats then charge accordingly to upgrade? Take Advantage for example, they have a well known gage manufacturer for their gages, but are labeled Advantage. I can't remember the gage company at the time, but in a write up in Powerboat mag, that was the case on a forum member boat's article.
Not exactly reaching for the stars on the totum pole here Lue.. LOL
If Aftershock was in the concrete foundation, and Commander was right at ground level.. Advantage would be about at the height that a dog would piss on when it walked by.
That about answer your question? :D
Atleast commanders aren't laid up like a potatoe chip.. They got that over Advantage all day long.
RD <---- making lots of friends today :D

driverno8
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
LOL.. Did it really make the cover of the trader? Buddy you pay extra for that when you put it in the trader.
That right there is the typical "commander" attitude though.. LOL skewed facts all the way to the bank. Much like the boat. Look good from the outside, but god help you if you look deeper.
In reality you paid them an extra couple hundred bucks to put it on the cover of the magazine. (far more true statement then previous)
RD
UM NO! Trader called me and offered me the cover if I renewed. Doesn't sound like a couple of hundred to me.

USCFAN
07-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I think it is funny how the OP was asking Commander owners what they though, but non Commander owners have to jump in and start giving their opinion. Guess it would not be ***boat otherwise.:D
Why bother arguing? You won't change there minds no matter what you say.:D You've been here long enough to know how this was going to go.

driverno8
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Well said!

driverno8
07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Yea, I remember that. Can't remember why I said I was going to keep it though and then re-sell it later.

RiverDave
You ever heard of someone rag on their own boat? pretty rare.. Of course anyone that owns one isn't going to say anything negative.. Why would they? It's THEIR BOAT!
RD

Jyruiz
Why bother arguing? You won't change there minds no matter what you say.:D You've been here long enough to know how this was going to go.
I don't argue bro, I just state the facts I know.:D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
You ever heard of someone rag on their own boat? pretty rare.. Of course anyone that owns one isn't going to say anything negative.. Why would they? It's THEIR BOAT!
RD
Yes I have, I had talked to people who have told me that they would not buy X boat ever again.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
how about a 32 with twin 500:D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
If Aftershock was in the concrete foundation, and Commander was right at ground level.. Advantage would be about at the height that a dog would piss on when it walked by.
Atleast commanders aren't laid up like a potatoe chip.. They got that over Advantage all day long.
I've taken a short drive and have ridden in that 30' Advantage, and I thought it was a great boat. We've even thrown around the idea of me buying it off him. BAck to that article I was talking about earlier, Bob Teague gave the boat a great write up. I'd venture to say many people would be swayed by his opinion while looking at buying a new boat.
And it just need to be said RD SUX. :D
You'll have to excuse him bro.......he's a little slow. :D

USCFAN
Facts? Some people can't handle the facts........:)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
Pro's = Cheap
Con's = Shitbox.
dont talk about your boat like that :eek:

USCFAN
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
You'll have to excuse him bro.......he's a little slow. :D
You know he must be, he bought a Commander. :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
UM NO! Trader called me and offered me the cover if I renewed. Doesn't sound like a couple of hundred to me.
Jumpin Jesus you didn't just miss the point.. Your completely unaware that there even is a point?
You PAYED FOR IT TO BE ON THERE! They didn't put it on there becuase they looked at your commander and said something like "Man that's a bad ass commander!! We should put that on the cover becuase it'll sell more magazines"
Your making it sound like it was on the cover of powerboat or something? It's the boat trader big guy..
You remember the 30K you saved? Well don't get all pissy at me becuase you bought less of a boat. You made that choice when you bought it.. do you remember your words? "For the money you can't go wrong."
Well don't get mad about it, when someone calls a spade a spade.. It's a cheap boat.
RD
RD

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 12:00 PM
RD
No they don't, they pull an example randomly from each catagory(boat,RV,sandrail, etc.) If you paid for the cover you got taken or asked for that position and paid for it.
I've had a car or two on covers and never paid a dime extra.
Back cover is a different story.
glass and resins do differ.
And the biggest thing is some people don't give a shit what's deeper. If they are happy and all works then that's all that matters to some. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. You are very particular with your boats and there is nothing wrong with that at all, we all ohhhh and ahhhhh at the fine work you've done. Bubbles was a great example of that,from the trailer on up. You enjoy that and that's your preference, but it doesn't mean everyone elses has to be that way or its a shitbox.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
dont talk about your boat like that :eek:
What boat?? :D :D
You know he must be, he bought a Commander. :D
That focker is gonna make us all look bad. :D :D

beaverretriever
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes it is.... This Genesis had one of the wildest, nicest gels I have ever seen. Whether you like it or not the workmanship was sick. It literally had Bass Boat metal flake throughout. Sorry about having the two chicks in the way...:D :D ;)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/735182850_8835bf2c80.jpg?v=0

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 12:04 PM
LOL,
I rather liked my reference to differing opinions to various sizes of tits and asses :D:D:D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Shit, cause of me your boat is worth more now.:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I think people who just boat in a small pond know nothing about boating or boat companies unless they work for each boat company.
Every boat company out here, you will some jail house lawyer that is happy with that company or thinks a company is sub-par.
Any day on the water is a good day even if you are on a raft.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
What boat?? :D :D
LMAO

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I've taken a short drive and have ridden in that 30' Advantage, and I thought it was a great boat. We've even thrown around the idea of me buying it off him. BAck to that article I was talking about earlier, Bob Teague gave the boat a great write up. I'd venture to say many people would be swayed by his opinion while looking at buying a new boat.
And it just need to be said RD SUX. :D
Lue listen to me very carefully..
"Shitbox"
I don't care what teague says about it.. I don't see him driving an Advantage around every weekend in parker. I see him driving a DCB, I see him driving a new Howard..
I'm sure the guys gotta a stable of freaking boats that'd blow your mind, but I'd venture to bet dollars to donuts your probably not gonna find a Commander in his stable of personal boats. I'd bet your not gonna find an Aftershock in there either. I'd bet the ranch that nothing with the words "Water Rod" ever even entered the building, and finally (while a little less on the dollar to donut ratio) I'd bet there ain't an advantage amongst the fleet either.
Now Lue.. Why do you suppose that is? I mean after all, according to some on this thread there's nothing "cheap" and fiberglass and vinyl is the same across the board? (I'm still laughing at that). So why is it that the people that really know boats that aren't affiliated with a mfg in anyway.. Why aren't they out lined up to buy these things?
Why don't they want to save that 30K as well? I mean who wouldn't want to save 30K?
You answer those questions, and it comes back to the same answer everytimg.. It's not graceful, and it lacks curb appeal.. But sooner or later your going to utter the word "shitbox."
I'd bet it's gonna be about 2 seconds after you buy a top tier mfg'ers boat.
RD

Biglue
07-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Shit, cause of me your boat is worth more now.:D
Other way around foo. No other boat builder features the reverse tribal flames, that in itself tacks on 3-4 grand on boats alone. :D

havaduner
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Yes it is.... This Genesis had one of the wildest, nicest gels I have ever seen. Whether you like it or not the workmanship was sick. It literally had Bass Boat metal flake throughout. Sorry about having the two chicks in the way...:D :D ;)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1176/735182850_8835bf2c80.jpg?v=0
What boat? I dont see no boat! LOL! Actually, I have seen several boats that use flake as an accent, and a couple with flake throughout that look really good!

Devilman
07-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Here that Lue? Metalflake coming back, just like them bigass sunglasses, the seventies are coming back. LMAO
You gonna consider a metalflake squid for your next boat, I can tell. :idea: :D

havaduner
07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, my computer skills are way lacking, I have no clue how to attach a pic ( I need to learn!) however Throttle has posted pics of my boat before.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
;)

beaverretriever
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Here that Lue? Metalflake coming back, just like them bigass sunglasses, the seventies are coming back. LMAO
tight corduroy pants, toot and Studio 54 on there way as well. :D

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, my computer skills are way lacking, I have no clue how to attach a pic ( I need to learn!) however Throttle has posted pics of my boat before.
That sucks, I really like to see it, if you can, e-mail it to me.
jyruiz@yahoo.com.

Biglue
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
"Shitbox"
I don't care what teague says about it.. I don't see him driving an Advantage around every weekend in parker. I see him driving a DCB, I see him driving a new Howard..
I'm sure the guys gotta a stable of freaking boats that'd blow your mind, but I'd venture to bet dollars to donuts your probably not gonna find a Commander in his stable of personal boats. I'd bet your not gonna find an Aftershock in there either. I'd bet the ranch that nothing with the words "Water Rod" ever even entered the building, and finally (while a little less on the dollar to donut ratio) I'd bet there ain't an advantage amongst the fleet either.
Now Lue.. Why do you suppose that is? I mean after all, according to some on this thread there's nothing "cheap" and fiberglass and vinyl is the same across the board? (I'm still laughing at that). So why is it that the people that really know boats that aren't affiliated with a mfg in anyway.. Why aren't they out lined up to buy these things?
Why don't they want to save that 30K as well? I mean who wouldn't want to save 30K?
You answer those questions, and it comes back to the same answer everytimg.. It's not graceful, and it lacks curb appeal.. But sooner or later your going to utter the word "shitbox."
RD
I've drueled over features on high end boats as much as the next guy. I can't see myself forking out the difference in cash even if I had it. I've also admired some small jets and v-drives out there. With that being said, I have to find the median that suits my needs. Will a 20' v-drive or jet suit my needs, not really. That in itself does not automatically deem them shit boxes. You have defined what your needs are and you have determined that a Commander, Aftershock and Advantage would not suit you. I very much disagree with you on that part, because I bet you'd enjoy a day on the water on any boat on the above mentioned list or a boat of your preferance. Like or not, I think we just have to agree to disagree.
When I call something a shitbox, I'd have to deem it absolutely useless. If my boat ever broke in half, I'd pretty much do so. Until then, It's the best thing since sliced bread in my eyes. :D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Not if I have anything to say about it. :D :D
tight corduroy pants,
Good thing because Devilman never quit wearing those and the belly shirts tied into a knot above the waistline. He was the shit back in them days in that outfit wearing cowboy boots and an old camoflouge hat with a confederate flag on it. :D :D :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
No they don't, they pull an example randomly from each catagory(boat,RV,sandrail, etc.) If you paid for the cover you got taken or asked for that position and paid for it.
I've had a car or two on covers and never paid a dime extra.
Back cover is a different story.
glass and resins do differ.
Well Ziggy, either someone didn't buy the slots for it and they just threw up a random? Or you do alot of biz (more likely) and they decided to take care of their customer.
Car on the cover of the autotrader down here in North County is price of the add in the mag, + 75 bucks. There phone # is 858-268-0999 if ya want to ask them yourself. Boat Trader is the same way. Up in the LA areas is costs more becuase there is more cars in the trader and higher demand if memory serves.
And the biggest thing is some people don't give a shit what's deeper. If they are happy and all works then that's all that matters to some. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. You are very particular with your boats and there is nothing wrong with that at all, we all ohhhh and ahhhhh at the fine work you've done. Bubbles was a great example of that,from the trailer on up. You enjoy that and that's your preference, but it doesn't mean everyone elses has to be that way or its a shitbox.
Shitbox is harsh I agree. ;) After all we are talking about peoples prides n joy here. My point is though that the mfg doesn't take pride in workmanship, and that's always the term I've used to describe half assed stuff.
Hell Stacy's boat was a shitbox when she bought it.. I'm un-shitboxing it as we speak, part by part, wire by wire, seat by seat, etc.. etc.. At the end of the day it'll be far from a shitbox, but the day she bought it, it was a shitbox.
Hell I still call it a shitbox (pisses her off to no end by the way), becuase we got a long way to go until it's dialed.. In my mind though it'll go through a transformation.. From shit box, to so/so, to nice boat, to a true "custom" boat.. I.E. DCB ain't got shit on this... kinda deal.
RD

eliminatedsprinter
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm un-shitboxing it as we speak, part by part, wire by wire, seat by seat, etc.. etc.. At the end of the day it'll be far from a shitbox, but the day she bought it, it was a shitbox.
Hell I still call it a shitbox (pisses her off to no end by the way), becuase we got a long way to go until it's dialed.. In my mind though it'll go through a transformation.. From shit box, to so/so, to nice boat, to a true "custom" boat.. I.E. DCB ain't got shit on this... kinda deal.
RD
There' s lot's of free beer at my house if my Eliminator is next.:D Mine was originally rigged nice, but it's old and (just like us) some stuff just isn't where it once was.;) ;) ;)

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I've drueled over features on high end boats as much as the next guy. I can't see myself forking out the difference in cash even if I had it. I've also admired some small jets and v-drives out there. With that being said, I have to find the median that suits my needs. Will a 20' v-drive or jet suit my needs, not really. That in itself does not automatically deem them shit boxes. You have defined what your needs are and you have determined that a Commander, Aftershock and Advantage would not suit you. I very much disagree with you on that part, because I bet you'd enjoy a day on the water on any boat on the above mentioned list or a boat of your preferance. Like or not, I think we just have to agree to disagree.
When I call something a shitbox, I'd have to deem it absolutely useless. If my boat ever broke in half, I'd pretty much do so. Until then, It's the best thing since sliced bread in my eyes. :D
I used to have a shitbox car.. A Caddy point in fact. I loved my Caddy, and I drove my Caddy everywhere. It got me from point A to point B, and in my own eyes looked ok doing it. At the end of the day it wasn't useless to me? I loved that damn car right up until I gave it to my nephew and it immediately blew up.. (My love for that car was the only thing holding it together I think.. LOL)
Shitboxes aren't useless, point in fact they usually are the most fun! :)
There just not built with the pride that say a "show car" is built with..
RD

Devilman
07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Not if I have anything to say about it. :D :D
Good thing because Devilman never quit wearing those and the belly shirts tied into a knot above the waistline. He was the shit back in them days in that outfit wearing cowboy boots and an old camoflouge hat with a confederate flag on it. :D :D :D
Ok, after the sound of screeching brakes & shattering glass has passed, just step away from the keyboard. If only for a moment, to perhaps take a break from posts such as that.... LOL :D
F*cker :D :D :D

Biglue
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Ok, after the sound of screeching brakes & shattering glass has passed, just step away from the keyboard. If only for a moment, to perhaps take a break from posts such as that.... LOL :D
I guess I stunned you good enough......you were supposed to think that to yourself. :D :D

havaduner
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
"Shitbox"
RD
Actually, I did see one once, in Bob's shop, and I think he may have even driven it!:jawdrop: RD, I think you may have missed Lue's point, that Bob may haven given a certain boat a good write up, and his opinions may influence a potential buyer.
Whether or not Bob would own that particular boat is another question altogether.

HM
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I love lamp.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
As long as the owner is happy that is ultimately all that matters. It is their money that is spent on it and they need to be comfortable with that. But make no mistake, when it comes to boats you get what you pay for in terms of quality of construction and materials used and installation of all the parts that make up a boat. Also, to echo RD, fiberglass and resin are NOT the same across builders. Nor is the lay-up schedule. It may all look the same upon routine visual inspection but pay close attention to what is done and how it is done and, as the saying goes, the cream will rise to the top.....
And no, I don't work in the boating industry.....

Devilman
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I guess I stunned you good enough......you were supposed to think that to yourself. :D :D
After several proof-readings, that was about as far as I was going to go with it. LMAO :D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Actually, I did see one once, in Bob's shop, and I think he may have even driven it!:jawdrop: RD, I think you may have missed Lue's point, that Bob may haven given a certain boat a good write up, and his opinions may influence a potential buyer.
Whether or not Bob would own that particular boat is another question altogether.
I probably missed Lue's point, becuase I always miss Lue's point.. :D
But my point was just re-iterated by you! ;)
RD

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I love lamp.
LMAO!!!!:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I love lamp.
Who rigged the lamp? Is the lamp a shitbox? :D
I might love the lamp too, but it kinda depends on how many zip ties were used in the making of the lamp, and the quality of lightbulb, wiring, etc..
We talking shitbox lamp? Or bad ass lamp?
RD

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
How are the graphics on the lamp? Are they original or just over the top?:jawdrop:

havaduner
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I love lamp.
Who be lamp??

HM
07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I love desk.

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
How are the graphics on the lamp? Are they original or just over the top?:jawdrop:
There's no Sorcerer's and Hobbits n shit on the damn lamp is there? :mad:

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
There's no Sorcerer's and Hobbits n shit on the damn lamp is there? :mad:
Ya know I think if you are paying for the lamp
You are the one using the lamp
you should get whatever the hell you want on the lamp!!: :mad:
;)

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Ya know I think if you are paying for the lamp
You are the one using the lamp
you should get whatever the hell you want on the lamp!!: :mad:
;)
I think mural's belong on the tail gates of mexicans trucks... not on the sides of lamps. :D
I think the owner of the lamp mfg' oughta step up and tell some of these people.. "You can't do this.. by the way if that's what you wanted here's the # for an interior designer as well, becuase god knows what ya got goin on at home"
RD

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I think mural's belong on the tail gates of mexicans trucks... not on the sides of lamps. :D
I think the owner of the lamp mfg' oughta step up and tell some of these people.. "You can't do this.. by the way if that's what you wanted here's the # for an interior designer as well, becuase god knows what ya got goin on at home"
RD
The owner of the lamp company has done that. ;)
You can't blame the lamp company owner for the buyer's bad taste.......
it could be worse, all the lamps could look the same? :D

HM
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
RD - it is hard for people to understand what you are talking about when they don't suffer from OCD like you and I do. :D
By the way, my lamp has a billet base with 24K gold wiring that will pull 50 amps and 1000 watts. Teak main body that was cnc'd and finished with a brushing laquer that was sprayed in a vaccumed class 10 clean room. You know...just a shitbox. :D

plaster dave
07-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Not my old caddy is it? :jawdrop: :D
I used to have a shitbox car.. A Caddy point in fact. I loved my Caddy, and I drove my Caddy everywhere. It got me from point A to point B, and in my own eyes looked ok doing it. At the end of the day it wasn't useless to me? I loved that damn car right up until I gave it to my nephew and it immediately blew up.. (My love for that car was the only thing holding it together I think.. LOL)
Shitboxes aren't useless, point in fact they usually are the most fun! :)
There just not built with the pride that say a "show car" is built with..
RD

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
The owner of the lamp company has done that. ;)
You can't blame the lamp company owner for the buyer's bad taste.......
it could be worse, all the lamps could look the same? :D
At some point the owner has to realize the consumers horrid taste does in fact reflect back on him. (I.E. that boat with the shark mouth that was eating Donzi and Fountain? :D)
RD

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Not my old caddy is it? :jawdrop: :D
Your old Caddy is going to Pick a Part on Saturday for a grand total of 100 bucks.. Unless you want it back?
It's in fullerton at my nephews house, it blew up when he was driving it home. :(
RD

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
At some point the owner has to realize the consumers horrid taste does in fact reflect back on him. (I.E. that boat with the shark mouth that was eating Donzi and Fountain? :D)
RD
agreed, not my personal taste......but then..............I don't have to drive it:D

plaster dave
07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I thought you blew up the trans. only? and no thank you I don't want it back.
Your old Caddy is going to Pick a Part on Saturday for a grand total of 100 bucks.. Unless you want it back?
It's in fullerton at my nephews house, it blew up when he was driving it home. :(
RD

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
What happens if you rub the lamp? :D Wax on, wax off

HocusPocus
07-11-2007, 01:39 PM
What happens if you rub the lamp? :D Wax on, wax off
it gets hard.

havaduner
07-11-2007, 01:44 PM
agreed, not my personal taste......but then..............I don't have to drive it:D
So whats worse, driving it, knowing everyone is looking at you saying you have bad taste in paint, or actually having to look at it as you go by???:D :devil:

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
So whats worse, driving it, knowing everyone is looking at you saying you have bad taste in paint, or actually having to look at it as you go by???:D :devil:
:D The thing is...........if you are like that, you don't know you have bad taste, sure, it's painted there on the side of your boat for everyone to see, but you think you are cool :D
So how much does gas cost for jet boats? ;)

HM
07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
:D The thing is...........if you are like that, you don't know you have bad taste, sure, it's painted there on the side of your boat for everyone to see, but you think you are cool :D
Kind of like how Commander owners think they have nice boats? :D

squirt'nmyload
07-11-2007, 01:55 PM
about as much as it costs your ego when people laugh at the chickens, unicorns, jumping jet ski, stretched hummer limo with a pirate and hooker in the sunroof, etc on the side of their boat :D

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
about as much as it costs your ego when people laugh at the chickens, unicorns, jumping jet ski, stretched hummer limo with a pirate and hooker in the sunroof, etc on the side of their boat :D
Ok, but you have to admit the pirate is cool ;)

phebus
07-11-2007, 02:12 PM
There is no question that some boats are built much better then others, and there are a lot of shit boxes in the mix, but there is also no question that the perception of some boats qualities are based on the passion of their cheerleaders. Good cheerleaders can make a bad company look good. The quality boat builders earn their reputation over the course of time and is well earned at that.

havaduner
07-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Well then, I already know I am cool, so it doesnt matter what my boat looks like!:rolleyes:
As for gas prices, are you paying at the pump, cash or credit?

Debbolas
07-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Well then, I already know I am cool, so it doesnt matter what my boat looks like!:rolleyes:
As for gas prices, are you paying at the pump, cash or credit?
It's just a joke, our friend has a jet boat and was explaining to me how the propulsion isn't effecient, so, therefore his gas costs more. :D
Rah, Rah, Ree, kick them in the knee
Rah, Rah, Rass, kick them in the other knee:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I thought you blew up the trans. only? and no thank you I don't want it back.
The tranny blew up down here.. I had the tranny rebuilt 1 year warranty etc.. Put about 3K worth of work into it down at a local shop replacing various parts, getting the heater & A/C working etc.. I drove it around some with no problems. My nephew needed a car so I gave it to him. Drove it to O.C. with zero issues and dropped it off at his work. He drove it for 10 minutes and called me stranded on the side of the freeway with coolant everywhere.. LOL
That was the last time she ran. Damn shame with the new tranny / A/C / Heater, and other shit that would take way to long to list..
He's selling it to pick a part for 100 bucks.
RD

Biglue
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
The tranny blew up down here.. I had the tranny rebuilt 1 year warranty etc.. Put about 3K worth of work into it down at a local shop replacing various parts, getting the heater & A/C working etc.. I drove it around some with no problems. My nephew needed a car so I gave it to him. Drove it to O.C. with zero issues and dropped it off at his work. He drove it for 10 minutes and called me stranded on the side of the freeway with coolant everywhere.. LOL
That was the last time she ran. Damn shame with the new tranny / A/C / Heater, and other shit that would take way to long to list..
He's selling it to pick a part for 100 bucks.
RD
Did he blow the motor or heads or was it just a hose or radiator? If its something inexpensive, it would be a shame to sell it for $100 to the junk yard.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
07-11-2007, 02:46 PM
All I can say is I am so happy we no longer own an Aftershock so I do not have to defend my boat in this thread. :D :D :D

driverno8
07-11-2007, 03:14 PM
RD
I'll say negative things about my boat all day long. There's things on it that piss me off that could have easily been rigged different. One day while talking to a guy in the channel admiring his new Hallett Deck, he said the same thing about his boat too. Even to go as far as saying "Hey, they're all built by hand, there's going to be mistakes." Such true words.

ahhell
07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
my Commander gets me everywhere I need to go....and it is paid for...alot less than most
Chevy vs. Lexus I guess
yeah I drive a chevy too:D

Infamous
07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I had a 28' commander. Hence the word had. I think it was good boat for the money. However, I do not see myself owning one ever again. At the time it fit the budget. I was told so many things that were lies....like oh "this our own bottom created by Sy himself." Look around he has a talon bottom just like everyone else. At the time I knew no better. The bottom is great if you can get enough power in a single engine for it. Ho's will run 65 tops. I think they have only built 1 boat ever to hit a hundred. I am not saying my current boat is all that but I would run it all day rather than the commander.:)

Rvr Swpr
07-11-2007, 03:51 PM
RD ;)
Why could'nt you have said "he could sell ice to eskimoes". You vsure went a long way.

bordsmnj
07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
hey here's a dead horse lets kicks its ass:D

RiverDave
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
hey here's a dead horse lets kicks its ass:D
FOCK YEAH!! :)
RD

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by RiverDave
RD ;)
Why could'nt you have said "he could sell ice to eskimoes". You vsure went a long way.
I've never been to Alaska, but Dave has :D:D

AirtimeLavey
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Ahead of it's timing meaning moments before the sun explodes and everyone is blind? :D
ROTFLMAO.....That right there is a classic. Sometimes, this site is entertaining as hell. :D :D
Btw, I had a 19' Commander jet as my first boat. Never had any probs. w/the boat or the service, but I was second owner. Only had it in for minor service and regular maintenance. It was open bow, and fully upholstered, including engine cover. Great boat. Sold it for $700 less than I bought it for 4 years earlier.
I would say that whether the boat serves it's owner well is the only important factor. Most people aren't looking to "show", but rather have fun and be safe while doing it. (Actually, this is "***boat", so a lot of people are looking to show.) Some of the criticisms here are mostly irrelevant to the majority of owners. Good to hear all the opinions and points of reference, though. I think no less of anyone I meet with a Commander.

ahhell
07-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Kind of like how Commander owners think they have nice boats? :D
better than yours???

Jordy
07-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Hell Stacy's boat was a shitbox when she bought it.. I'm un-shitboxing it as we speak, part by part, wire by wire, seat by seat, etc.. etc.. At the end of the day it'll be far from a shitbox, but the day she bought it, it was a shitbox.
And at the end of the day, it's still going to be a 70's era Spectra with a small block and an alpha drive, unless you go really crazy and try to polish a turd, throw 20 times what it's worth and turn it into a v-drive. You'd be better off to sell it and buy a 20' Hogan boat from Danny already set up how you want it. :D
I was working all day, but it's pretty funny that you're cappin' on everyones' boats as shitboxes when the biggest thing you've ever "owned" was a 22' Nordic, that you bitched about the same warranty issues that the Commander guys are bitching about now. Remember the porpoise in the boat and the 500lbs of sand and the 23 different whale tails you guys machined to make the boat behave, the whole time that Nordic was telling you there wasn't a problem??? :notam:
Hey Dave, I got Kettle on the phone for you and he says you're black as a motherphucka!!! :D
Why don't you try dropping some coin on YOUR own boat before you start baggin' on everyone elses' shit.

Inked
07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
(sittin back eating popcorn)
I didnt realize that there is such a rift between boat varieties!!
I like pasties !!!
:devil:

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
See what you started Inked. :mad: :eek: :D

Jordy
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I didnt realize that there is such a rift between boat varieties!!
I like pasties !!!
It would be interesting to find out how many of the know it alls in this thread who are bashing the boats have owned one, driven one, been in one, or just believe all the bullshit on the 'net. I believe it called for Commander peeps... RD owns a Commander??? No??? He just likes to peep then. :D :D :D

Catfever
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I had a 28' commander. Hence the word had. I think it was good boat for the money. However, I do not see myself owning one ever again. At the time it fit the budget. I was told so many things that were lies....like oh "this our own bottom created by Sy himself." Look around he has a talon bottom just like everyone else. At the time I knew no better. The bottom is great if you can get enough power in a single engine for it. Ho's will run 65 tops. I think they have only built 1 boat ever to hit a hundred. I am not saying my current boat is all that but I would run it all day rather than the commander.:)
:) Do your home work before you say only one will hit a hundred. I know of a few that will run a hundred . Also one that will run well over a hundred and this is real. So know the fact before you think!!!!!!!!! But then again there are alots of shit Talker that have told me @ the time that there boat would run over hundred but when they run 28 sssssssssssportcat boat I witness something differ and they say @ the river I run 5 to 10 miles faster and they may be right. :)

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
It would be interesting to find out how many of the know it alls in this thread who are bashing the boats have owned one, driven one, been in one, or just believe all the bullshit on the 'net. I believe it called for Commander peeps... RD owns a Commander??? No??? He just likes to peep then. :D :D :D
Just a question??? Would you own a Commander?:confused:

Catfever
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Well said and what ever you buy I always say drive them all and then make your choice . :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I tell ya, these commander threads always deliver good quality entertainment.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Do you mean own? or finance? No one owns his or her boat until the pink no longer has a lienholder on it. I'd rather own a Commander than make payments on . . . something else :D.

Jordy
07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Well Ms. Queen Kool-aid, I'd certainly take a look at them if they were building what I'm in the market for. I know they're way below you and your mighty thru-hull outboard DCLB though, so I don't see the point in even going down this road with you. ;) :D

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Well Ms. Queen Kool-aid, I'd certainly take a look at them if they were building what I'm in the market for. I know they're way below you and your mighty thru-hull outboard DCLB though, so I don't see the point in even going down this road with you. ;) :D
It was just a question, don't get all upset. Oh by the way, It's Mrs. Im not the queen kool-aid, thats my girl Blowndough. Thanks for calling my boat mighty, I would say so myself.....:D

Catfever
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Mrs. are you the same lady that own a shockwade boat and back in the day you and Mr killer run at Castaic lake? Nice boat I may add. How is the new dcb doing and do you have the PINK on that boat?
Still waiting on a ride.;)

LakeRacer
07-11-2007, 07:19 PM
And at the end of the day, it's still going to be a 70's era Spectra with a small block and an alpha drive, unless you go really crazy and try to polish a turd, throw 20 times what it's worth and turn it into a v-drive. You'd be better off to sell it and buy a 20' Hogan boat from Danny already set up how you want it. :D
I was working all day, but it's pretty funny that you're cappin' on everyones' boats as shitboxes when the biggest thing you've ever "owned" was a 22' Nordic, that you bitched about the same warranty issues that the Commander guys are bitching about now. Remember the porpoise in the boat and the 500lbs of sand and the 23 different whale tails you guys machined to make the boat behave, the whole time that Nordic was telling you there wasn't a problem??? :notam:
Hey Dave, I got Kettle on the phone for you and he says you're black as a motherphucka!!! :D
Why don't you try dropping some coin on YOUR own boat before you start baggin' on everyone elses' shit.
Jordy stop it! You're killin' me:D Well, I used to own a shitbox, I mean a Commander. Bought it in the early days of Singhal ownership. 24 Supercruiser. I ordered it new. I picked it up from the factory on the day they promised. Only issue I had was some gel coat and they fixed that when I brought it back for the warranty check on the MerCruiser. I gave them two weeks for the fix and they delivered on time again. Nothing ever broke and I didn't have any other issues to deal with. Great boat...in fact I traded it in for only a couple thousand less than what I purchased it for on a new Nordic. Something else that isn't high on RD's list. I never had any issues with the 28 Heat either. I never had to bring it in for warranty work. I sold the Nordic and now own another shitbox; a 34 Advantage Offshore. This is a nice shitbox though. It has a flat screen, stereo, reefer, microwave, stand up head. It's been out in the Pacific several times and nothing has ever broke. My only gripe is that the access door for storage and the closet don't stay shut on rough days. This is before they started using real latches on the doors like the newer models. No warranty issues on this one either.
Jordy, I'm battin' zero. Can you help a brother out??? :confused: :D

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Ms are you the same lady that own a shockwade boat and back in the day you and Mr killer run at Castaic lake? Nice boat I may add. How is the new dcb doing and do you have the PINK on that boat?
It's Shockwave...No pinks on their boat, but alot of orange. ;)

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Mrs. are you the same lady that own a shockwade boat and back in the day you and Mr killer run at Castaic lake? Nice boat I may add. How is the new dcb doing and do you have the PINK on that boat?
Yep, that's us. Wish i still had that boat for weekday boating. DCB is doing great. Do i have the pink on it, sure do... Why?? Miguel will give u a ride, just ask....:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 07:37 PM
WHY NOT

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Do you mean own? or finance? No one owns his or her boat until the pink no longer has a lienholder on it. I'd rather own a Commander than make payments on . . . something else :D.
Really, i didn't know that.

MBlaster
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I can only say that resale may be a little harder than other manufacturers.
I only base that on how many years it took Phat Matt to sell his. Is it still for sale?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
:boxingguy here we go

All-Star
how about a 32 with twin 500:D
Are you talking about your Girl or the Boat??? :D
Thought I would lighten the mood around these parts...

andy01
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
How is the new dcb doing and do you have the PINK on that boat?
I have to ask a question here if you don't mind. What in the f c k business is it of yours weather they owe 400K for 50 years on it or nothing? I have to ask why people talk about this so much. I hear it all the time. And I really like the guy that jumps around at the river "I have my pink" "I have my pink" First of all they don't make them pink anymore and second your house buying your boat doesn't count has having a paid for boat. It counts as you paid for your different then other people. And I don't care if you make 2 million a year and paid cash for a Skater, i still know people with more money then you................
Andy

Catfever
Yep, that's us. Wish i still had that boat for weekday boating. DCB is doing great. Do i have the pink on it, sure do... Why?? Miguel will give u a ride, just ask....:D
Thanks and can you and husband come on up to the old grounds where you use to run your boat and don't forget to bring the dcb. Good to know you have the pink because most don't.:)

Mrs.Killer
WHY NOT
Because you own one.......:D

andy01
07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
INKED
Shoot me a PM with the new boats you like and have in mind. I'll see if it is any I work with.
Andy

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Because you own one.......:D
they need rear view mirrors on DCBS so you dont back over your raft :D ;)
love you OXOXOXO

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks and can you and husband come on up to the old grounds where you use to run your boat and don't forget to bring the dcb. Good to know you have the pink because most don't.:)
So let me guess, you have the Commander cat with some horsepower. You were there every weekend with your buddy. Am I right??? Whats the big deal on the pink??

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 07:50 PM
they need rear view mirrors on DCBS so you dont back over your raft :D ;)
love you OXOXOXO
It's not a raft, it's Bobby's boat.......love you too:D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 07:53 PM
GEE I see it's going to be a long night :D with the Dick Comp Boat folks :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
So let me guess, you have the Commander cat with some horsepower. You were there every weekend with your buddy. Am I right??? Whats the big deal on the pink??
who has a pink on their boat LMAO

Catfever
07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I have to ask a question here if you don't mind. What in the f c k business is it of yours weather they owe 400K for 50 years on it or nothing? I have to ask why people talk about this so much. I hear it all the time. And I really like the guy that jumps around at the river "I have my pink" "I have my pink" First of all they don't make them pink anymore and second your house buying your boat doesn't count has having a paid for boat. It counts as you paid for your different then other people. And I don't care if you make 2 million a year and paid cash for a Skater, i still know people with more money then you................
Andy
Well first on all its about payment and it nice to know you own your boat. ;)

All-Star
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Any day on the water is a good day even if you are on a raft.
Totally true. Wise statement.
If it works for you, then be happy. Not everyone is a baller!!!!
But at least they know how to be happy with what they have got.
(At least you have a AWESOME hobby)
Time out now!!! Get back on the water to cool your testosterone off guys.
OOOh OOOh OOHH :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey I have two house if I sale one I will buy me a Dick Comp Boat and have another mortgage payment on water and I can only use it a few months out of the year WTF I love my Cummander it is a year around boat minus the bimini top SHHHHHH lets not take about that LMAO :D :D :D

beaverretriever
07-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Whats the big deal on the pink??
TWO IN IT!!!!!:D :D :sqeyes:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
OK sya step away from the jack daniels

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:06 PM
mmmmmmWTF WHERE IS THE POP CORN LMAO

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
you got that right

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:07 PM
you got that right

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
where did everyone go LMAO I have a 1/2 gal of jack daniels

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
;) Summary I can't see myself forking out the difference in cash even if I had it.
You have defined what your needs are and you have determined that a Commander, Aftershock and Advantage would not suit you.
, because I bet you'd enjoy a day on the water on any boat.
Like you said... in summary.... different strokes for different folks.
What suits you, may not suit another. If you like it then be happy. As long as you are not making the payment, then be happy for them. Why all the hostility???? Just be happy that they are smart enough to be interested in the boating community anyway. And that they paid for it with cash... and not financed. You have got to start somewhere......
But thank you for your inflicted advice, I have learned a ton.
Hugs and kisses... peace out!

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Hey I have two house if I sale one I will buy me a Dick Comp Boat and have another mortgage payment on water and I can only use it a few months out of the year WTF I love my Cummander it is a year around boat minus the bimini top SHHHHHH lets not take about that LMAO :D :D :D
I didn't see it fly off but damn that sucks......:mad:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I didn't see it fly off but damn that sucks......:mad:
I am surprised mygirl did not get a photo but here is one
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/RIVER3.jpg
LOOK NO BINIMI AT 120 DEGREES

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Shitbox is harsh I agree. ;) After all we are talking about peoples prides n joy here. My point is though that the mfg doesn't take pride in workmanship, and that's always the term I've used to describe half assed stuff.
RD
See... that seems more reasonable. But then again, it is all based on your OPINION> Maybe someone disagrees.
I think you are a really smart person Dave, but you can use some tact. Oh and remember that you do not need to INFLICT your opinion on EVERYONE. You can offer it up, but no need to INFLICT it!/
Thank you honey.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
hey yvonne my boss just told me that I have some hunny do things to do do I have to go
Love you and Take care of my kids XOXOXOXOOX

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
There' s lot's of free beer at my house if my Eliminator is next.:D Mine was originally rigged nice, but it's old and (just like us) some stuff just isn't where it once was.;) ;) ;)
That is awesome and oh so true.
I will be up there this Friday night...
where is the beer going to be at????.
And all of my shit is in the same place if not better... ha ha:D

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
As long as the owner is happy that is ultimately all that matters. It is their money that is spent on it and they need to be comfortable with that. But make no mistake, when it comes to boats you get what you pay for in terms of quality of construction and materials used and installation of all the parts that make up a boat. Also, to echo RD, fiberglass and resin are NOT the same across builders. Nor is the lay-up schedule. It may all look the same upon routine visual inspection but pay close attention to what is done and how it is done and, as the saying goes, the cream will rise to the top.....
And no, I don't work in the boating industry.....
Excellent Statement.

Catfever
07-11-2007, 08:25 PM
There no big deal with the Pink and sorry if I want to far with that, But I know you and Killer have Always been at the top of your game and you are one Find Lady alway nice to see you and the Family there. Still want a ride in that dcb !!!!

Inked
07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
this is some funny shiiiiiizzzzzllllee..............:D

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
All I can say is I am so happy we no longer own an Aftershock so I do not have to defend my boat in this thread. :D :D :D
I am so happy for you too Girl!!!:D

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
my Commander gets me everywhere I need to go....and it is paid for...alot less than most
Chevy vs. Lexus I guess
yeah I drive a chevy too:D
SWEET!!! :D

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
There no big deal with the Pink and sorry if I want to far with that, But I know you and Killer have Always been at the top of your game and you are one Find Lady alway nice to see you and the Family there. Still want a ride in that dcb !!!!
Next time you come to Havasu pm Miguel or myself, it would be nice to see some Castaic friends....

CornWater
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Well... I wasn't going to chime in, but hey... My first boat was a Commander, had it for three years, and sold it for 8 grand more than I paid for it. And I am by no means a Commander cheerleader, just food for thought.

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
ROTFLMAO.....That right there is a classic. Sometimes, this site is entertaining as hell. :D :D
Btw, I had a 19' Commander jet as my first boat. Never had any probs. w/the boat or the service, but I was second owner. Only had it in for minor service and regular maintenance. It was open bow, and fully upholstered, including engine cover. Great boat. Sold it for $700 less than I bought it for 4 years earlier.
I would say that whether the boat serves it's owner well is the only important factor. Most people aren't looking to "show", but rather have fun and be safe while doing it. (Actually, this is "***boat", so a lot of people are looking to show.) Some of the criticisms here are mostly irrelevant to the majority of owners. Good to hear all the opinions and points of reference, though. I think no less of anyone I meet with a Commander.
You are awesome!!!
Well stated!

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Jordy;
Why don't you try dropping some coin on YOUR own boat before you start baggin' on everyone elses' shit.[/QUOTE]
WOW!!!!
Sad but I guess it is true!!!:eek:

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I like pasties !!!
Me too!:jawdrop:

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I like pasties !!!
Me too!:jawdrop:

Jordy
07-11-2007, 08:46 PM
It was just a question, don't get all upset. Oh by the way, It's Mrs. Im not the queen kool-aid, thats my girl Blowndough. Thanks for calling my boat mighty, I would say so myself.....:D
Trust me, nothing posted on here gets me upset. Mrs, Ms, whatever. Don't keep track of the Kool-aid heirarchy though as I prefer to go boating versus hanging out in the channel.
Mighty boat, yeah... missed you guys at Catalina and Long Beach playing in Lake Pacific the last few years I've been out. :D :D :D
You must have meant mighty lake boat, although RD thinks it's an overpriced shitbox. :D

All-Star
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Fukin Awesome!!!
OOOOOH so true!
And I am not even a Commander owner... ever.
:idea:

Jyruiz
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I am surprised mygirl did not get a photo but here is one
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/RIVER3.jpg
LOOK NO BINIMI AT 120 DEGREES
I don't know if our boats are the same width, but I have an extra bimini in my garage in Havi (brand new never used) it will even match the blue on your boat. you are welcome to use it anytime.

Mrs.Killer
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Trust me, nothing posted on here gets me upset. Mrs, Ms, whatever. Don't keep track of the Kool-aid heirarchy though as I prefer to go boating versus hanging out in the channel.
Mighty boat, yeah... missed you guys at Catalina and Long Beach playing in Lake Pacific the last few years I've been out. :D :D :D
You must have meant mighty lake boat, although RD thinks it's an overpriced shitbox. :D
OK dude, I see I upset you. Just don't hit me, Im sorry.....:D

Havasu1986
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
What's the difference from the channel and humbug. :confused:

Jordy
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
OK dude, I see I upset you. Just don't hit me, Im sorry.....:D
Yeppers, really upset... can't you tell by all the :D :D :D ???'s

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't you know that they don't serve cool aid in Catalina LMAO

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Kilrtoy
07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
No she does not have a pink slip as the boat was made three years ago, not in he 70's.
All she has is a registration

Redwing247
07-11-2007, 10:22 PM
but it's pretty funny that you're cappin' on everyones' boats as shitboxes when the biggest thing you've ever "owned" was a 22' Nordic, that you bitched about the same warranty issues that the Commander guys are bitching about now. Remember the porpoise in the boat and the 500lbs of sand and the 23 different whale tails you guys machined to make the boat behave, the whole time that Nordic was telling you there wasn't a problem??? :notam:

Ziggy
07-11-2007, 10:29 PM
No she does not have a pink slip as the boat was made three years ago, not in he 70's.
All she has is a registration
"title" would be more appropriate.
Is Az even a title issuing state? or do they just issue registrations reflecting ownership(or lienholder as it may be)

martymar5
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Commander in hand and pink slip in hand. What a concept!!!!

martymar5
07-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Or should I say 2 commanders in hand and 2 pink slips in hand!!!!!

Jbb
07-12-2007, 07:30 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1129RDandbroken_boat.jpg

HM
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
better than yours???
Very very true. If you knew the shitbox I just bought!:eek:
I don't think anything bad of commander owners. They are cool looking boats. They usually do exactly what most of their owners require. For the ones that it doesn't...it was a good entry level type of boat for them and they know what to look for and what to stay away from.

HM
07-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Everyone is talking about re-sale being an indicator of quality...
Bayliners have the absolute best re-sale of any boat...and I think we can all agree that Bayliners are like fatchicks...fun to ride until your friends see you on one. Even the fags in bench racers have a gay limit. :D
The reason their resale is so good is that they have a well established name for the NON-boater and the typical NON-boater thinks they are the best boat to be owned.
Boat resale has been great across the board for the past 8 years - but only on the surface and only if you don't account for inflation. Money was the cheapest to get your hands on from 1999 to 2006. Home values sky rocketing allowed people to use home equity like an ATM machine....lots of cash so prices can rise very fast without too much complaining. If this real estate market takes a big dive...you can be rest assured that very few boats will maintain any kind of resale except for the very top tiers of boats - boats are a cash consuming depreciating asset...the majority will under perform inflation by a large margin.

RiverDave
07-12-2007, 12:16 PM
And at the end of the day, it's still going to be a 70's era Spectra with a small block and an alpha drive, unless you go really crazy and try to polish a turd, throw 20 times what it's worth and turn it into a v-drive.
Why would I turn it into a V-Drive? I'd rather own a 70's era Spectra (that's not a shitbox) then a new commander any day of the week.
You'd be better off to sell it and buy a 20' Hogan boat from Danny already set up how you want it. :D
who said I'm not? ;)
I was working all day, but it's pretty funny that you're cappin' on everyones' boats as shitboxes when the biggest thing you've ever "owned" was a 22' Nordic, that you bitched about the same warranty issues that the Commander guys are bitching about now.
I complained about a porpousing issue.. and one light issue up front. The rigging on that boat wasn't great, but wasn't terrible.. Better then the commanders for shizzle.
Remember the porpoise in the boat and the 500lbs of sand and the 23 different whale tails you guys machined to make the boat behave, the whole time that Nordic was telling you there wasn't a problem??? :notam:
Yep, and as I said.. If something's wrong with something, then I'll keep on going until it's finally fixed. ;)
I've always known I was black from the waist down.
Already did, and do all the time. ;)
The point I was making Jordy, is that while commanders ARE half assed from the get go, any boat could be half assed.. Hell you had one of my dream boats for awhile (21 Schiada) that boat was a shitbox. You immediately recognized that, and started fixing little things on that boat (new guages etc..) to unshitbox it. Eventually you realized it'd probably be more work then it's worth, or lost interest and ended up offing the boat.
Even a Schiada can be a shitbox, albeit it rare it does happen.
RD

RiverDave
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
:eek: :D :D :D :D
Yes Bildgie, before you there was some other photochop master on ***boat..
Ibex :eek: :eek: :eek:
RD

andy01
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1129RDandbroken_boat.jpg
LOL Brian that picture is f ing old man, that is like Castic or some shit.....
LMFAO :D
Andy

Ziggy
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
So is that your way of saying that I'm just another pretty face? :D
Maybe he's asking you to make his arm move back and forth now :confused:
:D:D

andy01
07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34870&stc=1&d=1184275382
Lol I don't know how you guys do that shit, but sometimes it is funny as hell.
Andy

Phat Matt
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I can only say that resale may be a little harder than other manufacturers.
I only base that on how many years it took Phat Matt to sell his. Is it still for sale?
In my defense I only had it for sale on here. I had a buyer back out originally which screwed me over the winter. I was never home on weekends to show it. I should have just put it on a lot. This year I put it in the boat trader and it was gone the first week. I had to tell them twice to pull the ad because I was getting calls daily months after selling it. I should have put it in for more money. :D

RiverDave
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34870&stc=1&d=1184275382
LMAO! :D
RD

Kilrtoy
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
In my defense I only had it for sale on here. I had a buyer back out originally which screwed me over the winter. :D
Oh you just had to go there didn't cha:eek: