PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Question

OverKill
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
So I was at Walgreens yesterday and while I was checking out I got to talking with this lady. To make a long story short she tells me her husband is on the waiting list for new liver. I tell her did you know a person can give half a liver to a family member if there is a match. She say's yes I'm aware. I tell her my dad has a drinking problem and if he was ever in need for a new liver, I wouldn't give half of mine to help. So she tells me if it came right down to it, yes I would. So I got to thinking would I or wouldn't I.
That is the question I have for you all. If someone you love has a drinking problem and needed a new liver, would you give half of yours away to save there life. I mean in all honesty would you?????

Tom Brown
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
That's an extremely interesting question.
Suppose the tables were turned.... if you were badly in need of a liver and RiverDave offered to give you half of his, would you take it?

bordsmnj
07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
not just no but PHUCK NO.

Ziggy
07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
John Loche would be a good person to ask that question of. ;)
But in all seriousness, a lot depends on your own beliefs and probably very much on the relationship you have with the family member. Do you resent his drinking and this is payback, or could this change his ways if you help?
Lots of morality involved...only you could answer it.
If my brother or parents needed one I wouldn't hesitate personally, and I hate the thought of being cut open. My family is my priority.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
So I was at Walgreens yesterday and while I was checking out I got to talking with this lady. To make a long story short she tells me her husband is on the waiting list for new liver. I tell her did you know a person can give half a liver to a family member if there is a match. She say's yes I'm aware. I tell her my dad has a drinking problem and if he was ever in need for a new liver, I wouldn't give half of mine to help. So she tells me if it came right down to it, yes I would. So I got to thinking would I or wouldn't I.
That is the question I have for you all. If someone you love has a drinking problem and needed a new liver, would you give half of yours away to save there life. I mean in all honesty would you?????
i would if it was hubby
i would be lost (devastated)with out him so...
yea in a heartbeat

Sleeper CP
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
No, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it either. If someone has a drinking problem for years and messes up their health they shouldn't feel as if they can put your health in jeapordy to save their ass.
I would feel sorry for them, but that is about a far as it would go.

Tom Brown
07-10-2007, 10:29 PM
If Ratso were in desperate need of a testicle transplant, would you give him one of yours?

YeLLowBoaT
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
no( i've already been asked by a family member...also asked for a kidney) if you got sick and needed it, in a heart beat.

Sleeper CP
07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
no( i've already been asked by a family member...also asked for a kidney) if you got sick and needed it, in a heart beat.
Dido that, if you get sick that's something different.
Sleeper CP

photo chick
07-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Regardless of the reason, I would save the life of a loved one if I could, no question!!!

Jbb
07-11-2007, 04:36 AM
I sold one of my kidneys for 3 drums of race fuel....and a carton of lucky strikes....

photo chick
07-11-2007, 04:38 AM
I sold one if my kidneys for 3 drums of race fuel....and a carton of lucky strikes....
was Brown thankful?

Jbb
07-11-2007, 04:40 AM
was Brown thankful?
You would have to ask him....He's not speaking to me....over a warranty dispute...:jawdrop:

Wild Horses
07-11-2007, 04:44 AM
I would, I couldn't turn my back on my father. I guess it depends on your relationship with him as to what you would do.

photo chick
07-11-2007, 04:51 AM
You would have to ask him....He's not speaking to me....over a warranty dispute...:jawdrop:
you could always give him the other one.....:D

Jbb
07-11-2007, 04:52 AM
you could always give him the other one.....:D
anything to keep the peace...

photo chick
07-11-2007, 04:55 AM
anything to keep the peace...
You're such a giver Jbb!!

adjones419
07-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Now you have me thinking. My father also has a drinking problem, but he's been sober for the past 5 years and we've become the best of friends. I know that sometime his past drinking will catch up to him, but as long as he's fighting the fight I'd do anything within my power to help him.

Jbb
07-11-2007, 05:08 AM
You're such a giver Jbb!!
It's what Im all about!

Tom Brown
07-11-2007, 06:44 AM
In the park, we have our own system for handling disputes. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

Jbb
07-11-2007, 06:47 AM
In the park, we have our own system for handling disputes. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
Put the gun down....Tom....:jawdrop:

ratso
07-11-2007, 06:49 AM
If Ratso were in desperate need of a testicle transplant, would you give him one of yours?
I wanted to get some grapefruit size prosthetic ones just for a better sensation while hitting it from behind.:D

Jordy
07-11-2007, 06:52 AM
It's what Im all about!
People helping people??? :idea:

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
I went through a similar situation with my dad. It was his feeling that a parent should not affect the life of there children and shorten the chance of a full life. There will only be a negative affect on the child. I also feel that if it is a situation of abuse of the body,there is a greater reason not to allow the situation.

HocusPocus
07-11-2007, 07:02 AM
had a good friend get a transplant 6 years ago, he had to go thru a big pre screening in order to even have the operation. according to him if he had a current drug or alcohol problem the doctors wouldn't even do the operation and it didn't matter where the kidney came from. after you have the operation you have to take a sh*tload of pills and even 1 drink a day can cause lots of problems.

Jbb
07-11-2007, 07:03 AM
People helping people??? :idea:
Building a better tomorrow....:D

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 07:17 AM
I love it..we need Dr Phil, or Dr Drew....
When people refer to alcoholism as a "drinking problem" it shows the ignorance or a more PC definition, "lack of knowledge" of the alcoholic, its not a "problem", it is a disease. And the next time you think your better than the alcoholic, spend a weekend at the river on your boat and don't drink....
To say you wouldn't give an family member the chance for prolonged life says a lot more about you and your relationship with your LOVED one, weather you love them or not.
I have fought (and still fight) the demon. Been sober for over 25 years, and to hear someone make a statement that they wouldn't save someones life with out an effect on their life is obsurd. Dig deep and find out why that statement would be made.
I lost a child as a result of drugs and alcohol, ask me what part of me would I give to have him alive right now.....

Sleeper CP
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I for one have a great relationship with my family, Two Brothers and Mom and Dad. I wouldn't make a judgment on my relationship with my family based off of my earlier post.
I made the inference from the original post as the family member in question has hurt themselves. My parents taught me a thing or two about personal responsibility, that is the basis of my answer. If my father were a heavy drinker and needed a kidney he wouldn't ask it of me anyway. I have an 11 year old daughter and a 8 year old son that my father wouldn't allow me to put my health/life in jeopardy to help him when I need to be here for my kids as he was here for me.
Sleeper CP

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Some people are missing the the point it is the parents responsibility to insure that there children have the fullest life, its call parental obligation. Once you decide to make a decision to have children, them and there well being should always be number one priority, even before the spouse. Remember they had no choice who brought them in to this world. That is why having children without core valued parents, both parents has such a negative affect on our culture. There is no end doing whats right.

HM
07-11-2007, 08:18 AM
not just no but PHUCK NO.
what he said.

OverKill
07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Well let's add a little fuel to the fire here. What if one of us here on hot boat needed an organ to keep them going. Are we really as tight as we say we are. I mean we all like to party, live it up and enjoy each others company. So just how tight are we here on Hot Boat.com. For example if Jbb needed a kidney and photo chick had a perfect match. Would you give in????

Jbb
07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
For example if Jbb needed a kidney and photo chick had a perfect match. Would you give in????
Well as it turns out ...I had to give Brown my other kidney as the result of a lost bet.......I could really use one now........PC...?http://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/julian.gifhttp://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/bubbles.gifhttp://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/riky.gif

OverKill
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
:D Well as it turns out ...I had to give Brown my other kidney as the result of a lost bet.......I could really use one now........PC...?http://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/julian.gifhttp://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/bubbles.gifhttp://www.tpbusa.com/media/emoticons/riky.gif
WOW now thats a gambling problem LOL. That maybe a whole other question.:D You know I found out there are people in third world countries that sell one of there kidneys for something like $50,000. That is just crazy, ya think.

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
No, and I wouldn't feel guilty about it either. If someone has a drinking problem for years and messes up their health they shouldn't feel as if they can put your health in jeapordy to save their ass.
I would feel sorry for them, but that is about a far as it would go.
Share with us your final conversation with your father before he dies, telling him too bad, but you brought this on yourself!
I for one have a great relationship with my family, Two Brothers and Mom and Dad. I wouldn't make a judgment on my relationship with my family based off of my earlier post. Confusing, and contradicting...
I made the inference from the original post as the family member in question has hurt themselves.How? Via a disease? My parents taught me a thing or two about personal responsibility, that is the basis of my answer. If my father were a heavy drinker and needed a kidney he wouldn't ask it of me anyway.I guess my point is some of us here wouldn't have to be asked, lets say your father was dying, and needed an organ from you that would not effect your life, and he didn't ADK you for it, your wouldn't give it to him, or offer? I have an 11 year old daughter and a 8 year old son that my father wouldn't allow me to put my health/life in jeopardy to help him when I need to be here for my kids as he was here for me.
Sleeper CP
The issue was not the quality of your life after the donation, your life would not change if you donated, and your ability to raise your children would not be effected.
Your conversation with YOUR children when they are of the age to understand, when you tell them the impact you had on a loved one life!!

Some Kind Of Monster
07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
:D
WOW now thats a gambling problem LOL. That maybe a whole other question.:D You know I found out there are people in third world countries that sell one of there kidneys for something like $50,000. That is just crazy, ya think.
Sign me up!

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I went through a similar situation with my dad. It was his feeling that a parent should not affect the life of there children and shorten the chance of a full life. There will only be a negative affect on the child. I also feel that if it is a situation of abuse of the body,there is a greater reason not to allow the situation.
Some people are missing the the point it is the parents responsibility to insure that there children have the fullest life, its call parental obligation. Once you decide to make a decision to have children, them and there well being should always be number one priority, even before the spouse. Remember they had no choice who brought them in to this world. That is why having children without core valued parents, both parents has such a negative affect on our culture. There is no end doing whats right.
I have read both of these posts numerous times, and they make no sence what so ever. Not a smack on the grammer or spelling, just cant figure out what you are saying, sound like its adios dad because you were a drinker?....

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
:D
50 grand.....get the ole lady to sell one of hers and we can buy a new boat!!!!

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Pay attention. Parents should protect there children's life not ask them to shorten it. No drinkers here. Every one has a choice to start drinking or not. Last time I looked people still made there own decisions.

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Pay attention. Parents should protect there children's life not ask them to shorten it. No drinkers here. Every one has a choice to start drinking or not. Last time I looked people still made there own decisions.
Pay attention...its not going to shorten the child's life!!!
And you know what, sometimes people make the wrong decisons, again, tell us how your going tell your children the impact you had on your fathers life!!!

OverKill
07-11-2007, 09:23 AM
50 grand.....get the ole lady to sell one of hers and we can buy a new boat!!!!
LMAO If she needed a new liver and couldn't find a match I can say look at the bright side. You can sell one of your kidneys and have a new boat. So F**K it you might as well make some money before you leave.
Come on Honey do the right F**King thing. Don't be so greedy I need this damn boat LOL.

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Well say you have is some illness not related to any substance abuse. Some times life deals a crappy hand. You would take a chance of depriving your children's children of having there father taken from them. If there is some chance the illness is hereditary and now instead of your child living 5 more years they only live 18 months. Now you just left some one without a parent at the age of 10 instead of 15.

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 09:32 AM
LMAO If she needed a new liver and couldn't find a match I can say look at the bright side. You can sell one of your kidneys and have a new boat. So F**K it you might as well make some money before you leave.
Come on Honey do the right F**King thing. Don't be so greedy I need this damn boat LOL.
Now that would be a real sales job!!!:eek:

Sleeper CP
07-11-2007, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Baja Big Dog;2665982
The issue was not the quality of your life after the donation, your life would not change if you donated, and your ability to raise your children would not be effected.
[/QUOTE]
Calling all Doctors: Is it possible to donate an organ and "not" put your life in jeopardy while doing it?
Alcoholism is a disease, so is diabetes. My mother is responsible for maintaining her heath with her diabetes, not anyone else. We can't hold a gun to her head and make her eat correctly,exercise and take her inciline(sp). That is entirely up to her, she has the choice and responsibility to do it. If my father were an alcoholic it would be his responsibility to maintain and control his sickness and if he failed to do so ..... he would fail to do so.
What do you ride in Baja? Are you a racer?
Sleeper CP

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Well stated. Not a question of the ability to raise your children. You need to be a round to raise them as long as possible to ensure they have the fullest life and skills to help make them as successful as possible. Any time you have have a procedure on the scale of removing vital organs does not make you healthier or or as robust to infection illnesses.

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Well stated. Not a question of the ability to raise your children. You need to be a round to raise them as long as possible to ensure they have the fullest life and skills to help make them as successful as possible. Any time you have have a procedure on the scale of removing vital organs does not make you healthier or or as robust to infection illnesses.
Then the question is would you be willing ot risk it? And you cant answer that until your in the situation....

MBMOSEBILT
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Was in the situation. But could not risk the well being and development of my children. You never know what could go wrong. Now if its my child who is sick no thoughts about it I would give my life.

SB
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
This happened with somebody famous, I think Mickey Mantle, liver destroyed from booze, he was over 70 at the time, he died a few years later anyway.
My dad is 66, and I know he wouldn't take an organ from me.
My mom is a Jehovah's Witness, and I know she wouldn't take any body part from anybody.

lucky
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I guess if you Love some one you would - besides you could get drunk half as fast :)
I have a very very good friend who has systic fibroses (spl ) for those of you that don't know what that is - Hel liver/kidneys are developing sicsts and the scare tissue is eventully going to take over her organs . she is 33 years old has a healthy marriage and a 5y/o Would i , You betttcccchhhhaaa
if your a druggie or a habitual fueler ( like myself ) i doubt i would
Ratso i will gladly give you some testicals as soon as i retrieve them :D

riverbound
07-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't think my liver is donateable. but I would help the old man out or any other family member if need be.
as far as the question regarding if someone on here needed one....it would depend, I have met some really good people on here that I am close to and then there are some I wouldn't recognize if I was walking down the street. for my close friends I would, as I believe they would do the same for me.