PDA

View Full Version : 150 Foot Yacht Aground In Floriday Keys....

BajaMike
07-11-2007, 06:12 AM
But the government won't let him move it.......:mad:
KEY WEST, Fla. -- One year after a man rode out Hurricane Wilma on his luxury yacht, the owner is now fighting to get it back.
The 150-foot Perini yacht named The Legacy is stuck in the shallow protected waters of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
The yacht broke free from its anchor during Wilma and was swept about three miles out to sea.
"They say it's the breeding ground for the life of the ocean," said Dave Ghidoni, who runs a rescue and salvage tug called Capt. Diane.
Ghidoni said the yacht has been mired in more than just muck for the past year.
"Nothing's going to go until they have permission from the sanctuary to move it," Ghidoni said.
A contact for the sanctuary issued the following statement: "(The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) is in ongoing discussions with the owner of The Legacy regarding the most effective way to remove the vessel with the least damage to natural resources."
Owner Peter Halmos said he has tried to get permission to use a cofferdam to remove his yacht. A cofferdam is essentially a huge portable pool that would surround the yacht and allow it to float a few hundred feet at a time. But The Legacy is far from deep water and the two sides can't agree on how to move it.
There have been plenty of ideas circulating on the Internet, including one in which a photograph of the yacht has been doctored with an image of a Barney float.
The replacement cost of The Legacy is $30 million, but Halmos said he loves the yacht, which he bought 11 years ago. He said he hopes that a compromise can be reached, but until then he will continue to guard his prized possession from afar in his speedboat. He even carries a gun in his boat, just in case.
:idea:

AZKC
07-11-2007, 07:06 AM
I say let him go for it:)
http://www.local10.com/2006/1110/10290261_400X300.jpg

dirty old man
07-11-2007, 07:12 AM
thats our tax dollars at work. does any part of our gov't work?

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Dam..I wondered where I put that boat!!!:D

BajaMike
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Here's a video on it......
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?071107/071107_keating_yacht&Americas_Newsroom&Stranded%2520Yacht&Stranded%2520Yacht&US&-1&News&141&&&exp
Sorry, there's about a 5 second Blackberry commercial before the video....
:eek:

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Mike...cant get to to load....says error?
It may be the short bus syndrome thing I have!!!:D

BajaMike
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Try this link to Fox news then click on the video....
http://search2.foxnews.com/search?access=p&getfields=*&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AS%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&client=my_frontend&filter=0&site=video&proxystylesheet=my_frontend&q=yacht%20Florida%20Keys

TexasChopper
07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I have read a few articles about this....He took it out of it's port in Key West prior the the storm in an attempt to lessen the damage that could occur at the docks. However as result of being at sea so long apparently even if he gets it out of it's current position, the boat is basically trashed and will require a complete refurbish. It's a sailboat

H20 Toie
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
got to love the support people get from the goverment

Baja Big Dog
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
You wonder how the govt supports the "fine" they want him to pay???
And where does the money go?

DMOORE
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The only people the government supports anymore are those thast walk across the border illegally. Healthcare, money, food, lawers, no problem as long as your not a citizen. It's only a matter of time before a spark ignites this powder keg we call America. It won't be pretty. The insanity has to stop.
Darrell.

BajaMike
07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I have read a few articles about this....He took it out of it's port in Key West prior the the storm in an attempt to lessen the damage that could occur at the docks. However as result of being at sea so long apparently even if he gets it out of it's current position, the boat is basically trashed and will require a complete refurbish. It's a sailboat
It's still worth a lot of money....as you can on the video, he and his whole crew are camping out near the boat to protect it from pirates, scavengers and thieves....and he's been doing that for a year and a half.
Not bad duty tho.....living on a house boat just off Key West....sounds like a good time to me!
:idea: