PDA

View Full Version : Went out this weekend.

superV
03-17-2003, 06:47 AM
OK it was 70° in St.Louis and the boat ran great. I was able to figure out the gear pattern no problem.(R,N,1,2,3) The water was glass unlike the 2' swells I had to deal with the first trip out, so it was very easy to feel it out.My new question is regarding my prop. In 3rd gear the boat would blow out at 52mhp(gps) @ 3000rpm.When it happens I still have 3/4 peddel left :confused: So I need to know what is the TYP size prop to run on a 405hp 20' Crusier? I still do not know what prop im running the only mark on it is a 15 and it is brass. It is not 15'dia, so im not sure what that means. I can tell you there is alot room to go bigger with out the prop hiting the trailer.Any suggestions would be great. wink

Ian
03-17-2003, 07:05 AM
What do you mean when you say it would blow out at 52mph? The 15 is most likely the pitch of the prop.

LeE ss13
03-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Pitch (no pun intended) the brass prop or use it for a paper weight. Steel is the answer. Brass can flex and cause the blow out thing I think you are talking about. And don't be afraid to use a 2 blade. They can work just fine on a crusier.

Kindsvater Flat
03-17-2003, 07:09 AM
I wonder if its downshifting and he thinks its blowing out.

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Sounds like maybe the prop is cavitating?, I have to agree with the above though, lose the bronze prop, call Tom at Menkens, he'll set you up!.. wink

superV
03-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Ian:
What do you mean when you say it would blow out at 52mph? The 15 is most likely the pitch of the prop. Its cavitating.Feels like its spinning it tires if you know what I mean. Hooks up great till then tho. I agree prop is shit.Seems like you never get a boat with a good prop on it. :( Just like I do put the shit prop on when it sells, Sucks being on the recieving end tho :mad: So what do you guys suggest I try? :confused:

superV
03-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
I wonder if its downshifting and he thinks its blowing out. Nope! I got that part down now. :D

GofastRacer
03-17-2003, 09:15 AM
superV:
Ian:
What do you mean when you say it would blow out at 52mph? The 15 is most likely the pitch of the prop. Its cavitating.Feels like its spinning it tires if you know what I mean. Hooks up great till then tho. I agree prop is shit.Seems like you never get a boat with a good prop on it. :( Just like I do put the shit prop on when it sells, Sucks being on the recieving end tho :mad: So what do you guys suggest I try? :confused: Don't have the experience with the bigger boats so I ain't gonna say, I would just call Tom, he can set you up with what you need!.. :)

superV
03-17-2003, 09:30 AM
GofastRacer:
superV:
Ian:
What do you mean when you say it would blow out at 52mph? The 15 is most likely the pitch of the prop. Its cavitating.Feels like its spinning it tires if you know what I mean. Hooks up great till then tho. I agree prop is shit.Seems like you never get a boat with a good prop on it. :( Just like I do put the shit prop on when it sells, Sucks being on the recieving end tho :mad: So what do you guys suggest I try? :confused: Don't have the experience with the bigger boats so I ain't gonna say, I would just call Tom, he can set you up with what you need!.. :) Ill do that. Thanks

Thunderbutt
03-17-2003, 12:36 PM
SuperV. I agree you need a steel prop. Find out what prop works best on your boat before you buy, you might save $600.00. When you come to LOTO give me a call I have a bunch of props you can try including a steel one. Are you sure the plate is set right. Is it electrial or manual? When it blows out what is the position of the bow? up or down

superV
03-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Thunderbutt:
SuperV. I agree you need a steel prop. Find out what prop works best on your boat before you buy, you might save $600.00. When you come to LOTO give me a call I have a bunch of props you can try including a steel one. Are you sure the plate is set right. Is it electrial or manual? When it blows out what is the position of the bow? up or down Plate set looks to be good, it is ele, and the bow is just a bit up.Tabs are all the up. I can trim it down a bit and it will hook up a little longer.But not for good. I was told that from the beach you could see my prop shaft.So I im sure I was all trimmed out. wink