PDA

View Full Version : The second "Anyone been to Rocky Point MEX (Puerto Penasco)" thread

SUBPRIME
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm driving down there this weekend (my first time driving my car in MEX). I know I have to get insurance at the border and don't take any bullits, but any other tips???
Anyone been there, where/what to do???

moonridgematt
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I've only been to Rocky Point once, but from what I can remember its actually a pretty decent city. The drive down wasn't too bad. Just be very alert. There are a ton of semi-trucks along this route and its a two-lane road. When you get to town, they have some pretty big hotels right along the beach. We only stayed there for a night because we went on a fishing trip. We visited a few clubs, the table dance clubs have low or no cover charges :idea: Its a cool town. Have fun

NoWorries
07-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I would definitely get insurance if you are planning on driving down there. I have been driving in and out of Mexico since 1998. I did it a few years without insurance but what I was driving at the time it wasn’t worth the insurance. Before you buy insurance at the border call your current car insurance and see if they will cover you in Mexico. I have Allstate and they cover me for up to 7 days and 75 miles south of the border…full coverage just like I was in the States and it is recognized by the Mexican Police. Make sure you carry singles and have pay off money in the wallet (I spent mine and spent a few days in jail another story for another time:mad: ).Don’t forget to carry the money in your front pocket (Vegas style). I don’t know if you have kids and if you are bringing them but if you are bring their birth certificates with them. We were crossing the border last weekend and for the first time the border patrol agent asked for proof of the kid’s citizenship, of course I didn’t have it, after some careful negotiations we got across but it was a little hairy there for a minute. Let me know if you have any other questions, be safe and have a shot or two for me!:D

Havasu Hangin'
07-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I was told I was there one time. Nice town...I think. Kinda reminded me of Ensenada, Rosarito, etc.
What to do? Drink!

Jordy
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I was told I was there one time.
Classic!!! I usually don't remember much of the ride home... :idea:
Mexican insurance is MANDATORY. Allstate will cover you, but you still have to get some mexican deal for a couple bucks, which I normally do in Ajo, which is about half an hour north of the border.
Just remember, once you cross at Gringo Pass, you're not in the USA anymore and telling them you're an American will only get you laughed at and in deeper shit. Don't do anything stupid and you won't have any problems.

viabaja
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Dudes.
Not having Mexican insurance is considered a felony and you will go to jail regardless of fault while they sort out the accident. Have a Mex policy will keep you out, but you may still have to shell out coin even if it's not your fault. I've not seen any US policy honored south of the border regardless of what they say. Get the insurance - it's cheap enough!
Of course , 50% of those driving in Mexico don't carry it but that isn't the point.

boats&bars
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
The wife is an allstate agent pm me if you need Insurance....