PDA

View Full Version : Yuma County LEO's

HotRod82
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I had been hearing that these guys were really getting heavy handed out on the water but untill last weekend never experienced it first hand. There were maybe a dozen boats floating in clear lake (off squaw lake) on Sunday and three sheriff boats came in and shook EVERYBODY down. They literally circled my boat for three or four minutes before coming in and asking who the owner was etc. All 3 sheriff vessels circled my boat (and all the others) in a blatant show of intimidation. IMO, this was completely uncalled for given the very mellow and "family" oriented crowd. The thing that really pissed me off was when they tied their boats up at the ramp and blocked two of the three lanes which of course backed up ramp traffic. Anyone else seeing this or was I just in the wrong spot at the wrong time?

kap
07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Hotrod82:
1. We have a section on the Lower Colorado in the Hot Boats West Forum were do you launch.
2. Well the LEO's intimidate you if your drinking and operating your vessel and do not have all your required safety devices.
On the flip side I know what you mean they put a damper on the festivities---- but when your sober, know the law you won't feel intimidated. It's a nice feeling when I pass them on the river and get double takes from them:D :D .
Plus, a lot of a-hole-operators in Clear lake lately hauling azz with swimmers in the water, jet skiers on plane weaving through anchored boats.
One unit is nice but the three that were there on Saturday were doing some kind of diving rescue exercise. AND
They were checking out the scenery---let's face it they could be putting the bracelets on a lot of boaters but exercise discretion.
Number one reason for getting pulled over expired regis/numbers and causing a wake in a no wake zone/backwater.
Next time they block the ramp go and ask for the supervisor and have them move the boats. Simple, but you need to be sober when you do it---I have done it and they move their vessel's and this is not lip service several people were applauding when they promptly moved there boats.
Hope to see you out on the water we will be out on Friday. What boat, name or type do you operate????
KAP

HotRod82
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Actually, I usually like to see the patrols around. I've been boating all of my 38 yrs and have never been cited for anything. I never drink at all on the water..I wait till we are parked for the day so that is never a problem. The reason for this post was simply to see if anyone else else has noticed heavier handed enforcement.

Mandelon
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I have definitely noticed an increased presence this season, but not seen too much engagement. Mostly observation. I do make sure I have all equipment and do most of my drinking back at the "resort." :D

code8
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I also noticed a big presence around the river. Esp. at Clear Lake as you enter into the small cove from the river. From my experience, it was great to have them around. Clear Lake can get crazy with Jet Skiers /boats zooming around when you’re swimming next to the boat. Like all law enforcement, they are there to stop any non-sense and enforce the law when appropriate. I welcome them and appreciate all what they do!
Just my .02 cents.

scotco
07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I had been hearing that these guys were really getting heavy handed out on the water but untill last weekend never experienced it first hand. There were maybe a dozen boats floating in clear lake (off squaw lake) on Sunday and three sheriff boats came in and shook EVERYBODY down. They literally circled my boat for three or four minutes before coming in and asking who the owner was etc. All 3 sheriff vessels circled my boat (and all the others) in a blatant show of intimidation. IMO, this was completely uncalled for given the very mellow and "family" oriented crowd. The thing that really pissed me off was when they tied their boats up at the ramp and blocked two of the three lanes which of course backed up ramp traffic. Anyone else seeing this or was I just in the wrong spot at the wrong time?
We had the same thing happen too us on Saturday.

faster u fool
07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I too have noticed an increase in the popo. They used to come out of Martinez lake everyday around 2:00 or 3:00. Now I see them running the river around 8:00 a.m. I don't mind this at all, do to the increase in Ahole boaters.
In the last two trips out I have almost been hit by two lake lice, on the main river. And almost wacked by two boats idleing out of clear lake. The boats that almost hit us were just entering the channel to clear lake on plane.:sqeyes: :mad: So if the LEO's want to cruise and watch for idiots it is alright by me. They have never hasseled me but have circled my boat. Don't be discouraged. They are just trying to keep you safe from the NEW crowd.

FlyingRhino
07-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Most of the Yuma Deputies are pretty layed back. Some of the Imperial County guys seem to have chips on their shoulders and hevy handed. Just make sure you have all your equipment on board and are sober.
The entrance to Clear Lake is an accident waiting to happen. Just like the channel up by Sin City was

kap
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Scotco:
I spotted your boat tied up to a Magic on the north east side of Clearlake. Very nice ride.
Flying R:
Your absolutely right about that one. The entrance to Clearlake has also gotten really narrow due to the reeds. I spoke to AZ law enf. they informed me it is the Imperial County Sheriffs that will not place buoys to slow speed down on the east side Sin City Sandbar. They did place buoys along the entrance to Martinez.
Hotrod82 were do you launch or stay???
KAP

HotRod82
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
KAP we usually launch at squaw and stay with a friend that has a place in the foothills. UPDATE: I had a really good 20 or 30 min chat with the CA game warden and one of the local sherriffs at the launch ramp (at squaw lake) while loading up my boat. They approached me with a few questions about my boat (how fast is it? etc.) They were in a chatty mood, so I asked them why the obvious increase in presense in certain areas. The game warden just laughed and said the last couple of times he was in clear lake he had at least one drunk threaten him and on more than one occasion had bottles thrown at him. I jokingly told them to leave me the hell alone...both of them said the OUI (DUI) is as bad if not worse than ever!! It's hard to believe this day and age people can't seem to get the message about OUI. On that note, we assisted the GW with a situation where a guy swung his 2 kids (on a tube) into the shore. Somehow, no one was hurt but wow were they lucky. After hearing straight from the horses mouth why the upturn in enforcement...It makes it a little easier to accept.

jbone
07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I usually hit Clear Lake at about 3-3:30 and head back to the ramp at about
5-5:30pm.
I don't like to stay much longer. The roudy (OUI) crowd rolls in about that time.
J

kap
07-16-2007, 06:51 AM
J-Bone is right about the time and rowdies.
Clear Lake is our Copper Canyon. It is not to bad but somedays are worse than others. I believe he was threatened without a doubt.
I just hope Law/Enf doesn't shut things down for everyone else because of the few bad apples.
KAP