PDA

View Full Version : Is it a big $$$ issue to smooth gel an engine compartment?

Cole Trickle
07-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I always wondered what prevented Ultra from smooth coating all there bilge/engine compartments?
Mike had his 27 shadow done and said it took alot of work but the results were great.
Is it a pain to do during the build? Is there a way to make it easier?
Is it alot cheaper to splatter paint like we are used to seeing?
Just curious as the splattered paint thing has always bothered me....at the same time I wouldn't spend an extra 3K for the gel.

ULTRA28
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I always wondered what prevented Ultra from smooth coating all there bilge/engine compartments?
Mike had his 27 shadow done and said it took alot of work but the results were great.
Is it a pain to do during the build? Is there a way to make it easier?
Is it alot cheaper to splatter paint like we are used to seeing?
Just curious as the splattered paint thing has always bothered me....at the same time I wouldn't spend an extra 3K for the gel.
It takes about three to four days labor and a lot of material to do it. The cost can range anywhere from $2,000 to $5000 depending on the boat and if it gets graphics. It is a lot of work. We have been getting about 20% of our customers wanting it lately.

Cole Trickle
07-12-2007, 03:44 PM
It takes about three to four days labor and a lot of material to do it. The cost can range anywhere from $2,000 to $5000 depending on the boat and if it gets graphics. It is a lot of work. We have been getting about 20% of our customers wanting it lately.
Gotcha...
Is it because all the sanding that is required for a smooth finish. Does DCB have to go through the same pains when they finish off the bilge?
Could the plug be smoother so all you had to do was gel and then buff like the hull of a boat?
Thanks for the info...You guys/girls are turning out some amazing products:)

ULTRA28
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Gotcha...
Is it because all the sanding that is required for a smooth finish. Does DCB have to go through the same pains when they finish off the bilge?
Could the plug be smoother so all you had to do was gel and then buff like the hull of a boat?
Thanks for the info...You guys/girls are turning out some amazing products:)
It is the inside of the boat, so it is fiberglass. It shows the weave. There are ways to minimoze the amount of finish work required, but no matter what you do you still have a lot of filling and sanding.
Yes, DCB and any others have the same work to be done.

andy01
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Is it epoxy? Or is it gel?
Andy