PDA

View Full Version : deep v daycruisers...

BrendellaJet
07-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Considering a couple of daycruisers right now, one of which has a fairly deep V. I know with smaller jets the Deep V is a no no for going fast in. Is there a point at which this becomes less of a concern? Im looking to put my DNE motor in a daycruiser and one of the boats I am interested in has a deep V to it. I want the boat to do mid 80's safely, is the Deep V going to be a problem if I should have problems and experieince a shutdown?

pw_Tony
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I would be interested as well for my Spectra:idea:
I thought you just got the Hot Rod done, why do yah want to go to a bigger boat already?

boats&bars
07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
80 mph and Daycruiser cant be used in the same sentence, especially if its a jet, there are some fast 21 mini day cruisers, but not a full daycruiser.
GS marine told me that I could throw 700 hp at mine and not see 70 mph,
they said its just too heavy and the bottoms werent built for speed...

Devilman
07-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Not sure if this is considered a "full" daycruiser or a "mini" daycruiser, but this Eliminator will run mid 80s, (GPS 80s, not ebay 80s :D ) with a blown Ford in it. Never heard him mention any ill-handing issues. And its a jet as well.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/whatsup1_362.jpg

IndianaTahiti
07-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Not to change the subject,but Devil man where did you get your swivel seats?Do you have any close up pics? and what the hell hapened to thb?

Devilman
07-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Not to change the subject,but Devil man where did you get your swivel seats?Do you have any close up pics? and what the hell hapened to thb?
I may have some close up pics of it, I'll check. If I do, I'll post 'em up for ya in another thread though, so BrendellaJet's doesn't go haywire. Not sure about THB, been having trouble gettin on for weeks from work, but from home is fine..... :confused:

IndianaTahiti
07-13-2007, 05:10 AM
I may have some close up pics of it, I'll check. If I do, I'll post 'em up for ya in another thread though, so BrendellaJet's doesn't go haywire. Not sure about THB, been having trouble gettin on for weeks from work, but from home is fine..... :confused:
Ok thanks:)

BrendellaJet
07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I would be interested as well for my Spectra:idea:
I thought you just got the Hot Rod done, why do yah want to go to a bigger boat already?
The hotrod is just such a flat water boat that it wont be a lot of fun just going to the river. I've got a family who I want to bring with me so the ride needs to be some what comfortable.
The boats Im looking at aren't full daycruisers, more like mini day cruisers compared to the boat in your avatar. There are several that I know of that are in the 80's.

hack job
07-13-2007, 07:34 AM
my boat is a dana sw20 and it runs mid 80s with a jet . and it has a dne ford in it lol.
what hull are you looking at?

oldbuck40
07-13-2007, 08:27 AM
you need to ask Texasjet what happened to his deep V when he put alot of power to it:D as speed increases the pump will rise up higher out of the water but the boat being heavy and being a deep V it WILL hook to the left or right without any given notice and most likely will throw you out:eek: pretty much what alot of others say dont try and make the big boats do what they werent intended to do.

BrendellaJet
07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
you need to ask Texasjet what happened to his deep V when he put alot of power to it:D as speed increases the pump will rise up higher out of the water but the boat being heavy and being a deep V it WILL hook to the left or right without any given notice and most likely will throw you out:eek: pretty much what alot of others say dont try and make the big boats do what they werent intended to do.
Not all hulls are the same...but thanks for the warning, thats why I put this post up...

Devilman
07-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I thought about TJ's Baja, but isn't it only an 18 footer? Didn't know if a few feet difference in length, as in jumping up to the 20-22 foot range, would make that much difference in handling or not.....

oldbuck40
07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Not all hulls are the same...but thanks for the warning, thats why I put this post up... thats true! they arent. i think his is a 19' Baja open bow, it rides good and will carry the mail but he gets to that certain speed and it just goes nutts on tracking

dmontzsta
07-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Not sure if this is considered a "full" daycruiser or a "mini" daycruiser, but this Eliminator will run mid 80s, (GPS 80s, not ebay 80s :D ) with a blown Ford in it. Never heard him mention any ill-handing issues. And its a jet as well.....
That is the pure twin to my Dad's cruiser, but his is a V-Drive with an un-blown Ford, pretty neat.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/1978Eliminator/images/100_5782.jpg

Devilman
07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
That is the pure twin to my Dad's cruiser, but his is a V-Drive with an un-blown Ford, pretty neat.
http://www.dmontzsta.com/1978Eliminator/images/100_5782.jpg
Damn sure is! Damn good lookin boat he has there. Doesn't look like your dad's is rockin what is probably the factory shag carpet like Doug's is though. :D :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Doug_sboat2.jpg

dmontzsta
07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
That is way cool, do you have any other pics?
You are right, his carpet and interior were swapped out a long time ago, but I think he should go back to the original interior, that is sexy. :D

socalmoney
07-13-2007, 09:03 AM
What is the difference between a "full" and "mini" day-cruiser? I have been wondering about that.

boats&bars
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
What is the difference between a "full" and "mini" day-cruiser? I have been wondering about that.
It depends on who you ask I guess, To me a full day cruiser is like the one in my avitar, room to go below deck, windows on the side, at one time mine had a fridge, sink ,porta pottie and bed. it is now modern style with two lounges and a open bow. they also have a more raised helm.
the photo of the eliminator which is bad ass, to me is a mini day.

76 Bonneville
07-13-2007, 08:35 PM
It depends on who you ask I guess, To me a full day cruiser is like the one in my avitar, room to go below deck, windows on the side, at one time mine had a fridge, sink ,porta pottie and bed. it is now modern style with two lounges and a open bow. they also have a more raised helm.
the photo of the eliminator which is bad ass, to me is a mini day.
I agree, the Eliminator pictured is the 20' Sport Cruiser which I would consider a mini cruiser. Had one back in the early 80's, only enough room under the deck for gear, although I do recall sleeping in the boat a couple of times while camping at Black Meadows. L=20'7 B=93" WT=2200 I like the Rogers in the background.

lilrick
07-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Why not a v-drive cruiser? I would think it would be much easier to obtain your goal . Most of the v-drive cruisers will take the horsepower as well as the punishment from the speed you will achieve.

pw_Tony
07-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Why not a v-drive cruiser? I would think it would be much easier to obtain your goal . Most of the v-drive cruisers will take the horsepower as well as the punishment from the speed you will achieve.
Is your Spectra a v-drive?

flat broke
07-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Brian,
80 and a 20' cruiser can be done, but the 80 isn't going to happen with the family in the boat and all your gear etc. I don't know what Greg Ogle's boat is running, but I can tell you from my brief experience with 821hp in my Spectra, you'll need a little setup work and some attention turned to the bottom. I'd love to have mine at a point where I could give you an answer on what lengthening the strakes did for MPH improvement, but I've been dragging ass on that project.
Boats I would look at would be: Spectra/Rogers/Howard/Donahue 20, Southwind/Dana 20, and of course an Eagle Steptech 20. I'm pretty sure the Eagle with full interior would hit your mark, but PM James/Xerophobic for some referals to people with your power and the boat setup how we do em. I think any of the Spectra 20 Variants will be close to 80 with your engine, optimum conditions, and lots of time on the setup. No promises on a magic number, but you should get close. If you like the older cruisers, BadBlown572's new ones sure look nice, and IMHO, I think his price is fair for a bare hull. If you could get him to flip it and add a little bit of strake at that price, that'd probably be the way I'd go.
Good luck with it,
Chris

lilrick
07-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Is your Spectra a v-drive?
YES!! I wasn't tryin' to start a war....but....:D

BrendellaJet
07-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys. Still looking for a boat. If I bring home a project my wife is gonna leave me:D . Im trying to find a complete hull that is in really solid condition, nice original gel, etc. I know that for 10k I will have to make some sacrifices, thats why Im trying to find something less motor. Interior will probably need to be redone too but would like something nice enough to run for a season or two. I dont want to have to regel/paint.
I've considered the Donahue boats and am waiting to hear back from Danny but Im pretty sure Id end up getting into the boat for 20-30k before all was done to my liking...Ive got 10k to spend so the boat would end up sitting for a long time before it was finished. Those boats sure do look good though.
Now is probably the worst time for me to buy a boat in terms of price so luckily I have a boat that I can use, just not ideal for the family.
the V drive boats come at a premium. My motor is built for a jet and I'd like to keep it in a jet. I like being able to boat ANYWHERE on the river without fear of tearing off my running gear so while they do haul the mail, the V-drive is not going to suit my needs(unless its a cherry 21 Schiada River Cruiser for 10k):D

Bow Tie Omega
07-14-2007, 06:59 AM
He wants to be able to do Blythe, Laughlin to Topock run, he wants to be able to do the whole river thing, not very safe running a v-drive in some of those areas, they get a little shallow.
Oops, sorry Bri, did not see you post

Jetmugg
07-16-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm in love...... With the brown vinyl and heavy shag carpeting. The chick sitting on the blower scoop ain't bad either.
Gotta get me one of those day cruisers, preferably with root beer metalflake and brown vinyl..
SteveM.
PS - my take on "Day Cruiser" is that they do not have beds under deck by definition. The description "Day" cruiser means that it is not intended for overnight accomodations.