PDA

View Full Version : E85

IndianaTahiti
07-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Any of you guys try to use e85 yet? What do they convert on this set up?

IMPATIENT 1
07-13-2007, 06:45 AM
i plan on using it as soon as we get a steady supply in my area. you've gotta jet up @4-5sizes to run e85. i've talked to alot of guys about it and they didn't change anything in their fuel systems. when i bought my fuel pump i just made sure it was alcohol capatable. i hear big gains when runnin e85 on blower motors like mine, hope to try it out all next summer.

cave
07-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Dont you have to pump up the pressure in the combustion chamber for Methanol? Wow this would be a nice alternative to the Middle Eastern petro crap.
Hope this takes off so we can nuke them sukas and be done wit em.

IndianaTahiti
07-13-2007, 06:01 PM
We have this on tap a many local gas stations here,what parts on the engine are not compatable with it? I have heard no rubber fuel lines.Its cheaper than regular here!

Blown 472
07-13-2007, 06:16 PM
You have to do a bit more work then just jet changes.
http://www.classicmtrsprts.com/

OverKill
07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Dont you have to pump up the pressure in the combustion chamber for Methanol? Wow this would be a nice alternative to the Middle Eastern petro crap.
Hope this takes off so we can nuke them sukas and be done wit em.
Exactly we have the tech. to get rid of the Mid East shit and get on with it.
So Cave I'm gonna go on ahead and count you in for Labor Day weekend OK. I just need a ruffff estimate for a head count. If something comes up for you no big deal.

cave
07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks Bro I got it penciled in. But I got to keep afloat. You know what I mean. Be my 1st river trip. So i best fallow you locals. Me no like to run aground.

squirt'nmyload
07-13-2007, 07:56 PM
saw this stuff all over pennsylvania, definately cheaper, but i havn't seen it available out here in phoenix yet that i know of :)

GunninGopher
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Doesn't it make less power per gallon?

OverKill
07-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks Bro I got it penciled in. But I got to keep afloat. You know what I mean. Be my 1st river trip. So i best fallow you locals. Me no like to run aground.
You got it man. I tell ya once you get your boat on the river. You won't want to be anyware else. I know Billy and Rob is gonna be there for sure. We gotta have the pontoon boat to make the party. :D :D

IMPATIENT 1
07-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Doesn't it make less power per gallon?
it takes more e85 yes, but you can run more timing on the stuff since the ethanol cools the intake charge better, which translates into big hp&tq gains.
e85 is ethanol, not methanol. the guys i know runnin e85 didn't change anything on their systems other than runnin a alky capable fuel pump. noone i know runnin it has had any internal hose damage or carb issues. i have herd of e85 eating up fiberglass tanks so i'd stay away from it if you've got f/g tanks.
i will be runnin the stuff as soon as my area gets a pump within 30-40 miles from me. and i know my blower set-up will love it and make about 25% more power on it. i built my blower motor with 9 to 1 compression knowing full well its would see e85 usage in the future;)
i work on alot of gm vehicle that run on e85 or regular fuel, and all who have run e85 say they can tell a big performance increase when they do fill with the e85.
the other 15% of fuel in e85 is basically super unleaded plus lube additives, so it doesn't wear rings or dilute oil like methanol. its good stuff!

Blown 472
07-14-2007, 08:52 AM
it takes more e85 yes, but you can run more timing on the stuff since the ethanol cools the intake charge better, which translates into big hp&tq gains.
e85 is ethanol, not methanol. the guys i know runnin e85 didn't change anything on their systems other than runnin a alky capable fuel pump. noone i know runnin it has had any internal hose damage or carb issues. i have herd of e85 eating up fiberglass tanks so i'd stay away from it if you've got f/g tanks.
i will be runnin the stuff as soon as my area gets a pump within 30-40 miles from me. and i know my blower set-up will love it and make about 25% more power on it. i built my blower motor with 9 to 1 compression knowing full well its would see e85 usage in the future;)
i work on alot of gm vehicle that run on e85 or regular fuel, and all who have run e85 say they can tell a big performance increase when they do fill with the e85.
the other 15% of fuel in e85 is basically super unleaded plus lube additives, so it doesn't wear rings or dilute oil like methanol. its good stuff!
You had better watch your plugs to make sure you dont lean out, everyone that I have talked to about this did a ton of work to their gas carbs, or bought an alky carb and jetted down, not as simple as just changing jets.

IndianaTahiti
07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
You guys will see it soon! Here in the corn belt they have started building like 20+ new plants for it.But I think its will have an adverse affect on produce cause the local farmers a all signing contracts for corn(big$$)so they are going toover work their feilds.We are going to pay one way or another:mad:

minnesota_duane
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes you can run more timing and a higher com ratio and make more power. BUT, there is always a but isn't there? You can't look at it like it is cheaper, it isn't! You need to burn roughly about a third more fuel. Thats the part that the people pushing that $hit don't tell you. So factor that in and it's gonna cost you more, and you are going to spend less time on the water.
Indiana Tahiti is totaly dead right about what E85 is going to do to the country. Farmers are getting kick ass prices for corn so they are planting more of it. They are planting less of the stuff you and I eat, what do you think thats going to mean? You got it, you're gonna pay for it. Think meat is high now? Wait a couple years, beef/pork/poultry is going to go insane, I know alot of you probably think cows just munch grass but in reality that is where most of the corn has been going, cattle/pig/chicken feed.
E85 isn't the answer, controling the insane profits of the oil companys is. There is no shortage of fuel, the refineries are more than capable of kicking out enough fuel for this country and a couple more. Did you know that a very small amount of the oil we use in this country comes from the middle east? Most of the oil we consume comes from Canada and Mexico, the only reason we are using any middle eastern oil is cause the oil companys can buy it cheaper.
Can you tell that I come from farm country? I wan't to point out that I am in no way ripping on farmers at all, it is about damn time that they get some money for their product! And I can't blame them a bit for putting in corn, I just think in the long run it's going to screw us all.
Ok I think I am done ranting now, have a nice day :)

pw_Tony
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't see any E85 over here yet, so I'm not sure of the prices.
How much is E85 a gallon,
and how much is race fuel right now for 105 octane?
Figuring it burns 1/3 faster like Duane said I would like to do a little math:devil: :idea:

kp216
07-15-2007, 03:04 AM
How much is E85 a gallon
Here in north central Missouri, it's been running about 40 to 50 cents a gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.
When I finally build my new motor, it will be set up to run E-85.

Blown 472
07-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Yes you can run more timing and a higher com ratio and make more power. BUT, there is always a but isn't there? You can't look at it like it is cheaper, it isn't! You need to burn roughly about a third more fuel. Thats the part that the people pushing that $hit don't tell you. So factor that in and it's gonna cost you more, and you are going to spend less time on the water.
Indiana Tahiti is totaly dead right about what E85 is going to do to the country. Farmers are getting kick ass prices for corn so they are planting more of it. They are planting less of the stuff you and I eat, what do you think thats going to mean? You got it, you're gonna pay for it. Think meat is high now? Wait a couple years, beef/pork/poultry is going to go insane, I know alot of you probably think cows just munch grass but in reality that is where most of the corn has been going, cattle/pig/chicken feed.
E85 isn't the answer, controling the insane profits of the oil companys is. There is no shortage of fuel, the refineries are more than capable of kicking out enough fuel for this country and a couple more. Did you know that a very small amount of the oil we use in this country comes from the middle east? Most of the oil we consume comes from Canada and Mexico, the only reason we are using any middle eastern oil is cause the oil companys can buy it cheaper.
Can you tell that I come from farm country? I wan't to point out that I am in no way ripping on farmers at all, it is about damn time that they get some money for their product! And I can't blame them a bit for putting in corn, I just think in the long run it's going to screw us all.
Ok I think I am done ranting now, have a nice day :)
Every one that I have talked to says they use 17 to 20 percent more then gas, and since gas is 100% more then e85, you do the math.
Good luck on contolling the profits, that is never going to happen, and we should plant more corn and keep all the money in this country.

IndianaTahiti
07-15-2007, 07:24 AM
gas here is 3.00 ,e85 is 2.80. When they first put it at the pumps it was like a dollar cheaper till alot of people switched over! He is right about the refineries,I have worked alot of the shut downs in a 300 mile radius at them.They use to only shut down every 5 years for maint. now they shut down more frequently and longer durations! Toledo is going to shut down in september for a 50 day turnaround,so look for a spike in price then:mad:

minnesota_duane
07-15-2007, 09:01 AM
If you want to run the crap here is an article written by one of my friends. I just talked to him on the phone in his truck he used about 11% more "driving it nice, but if you are in the throttle 40-45% more". My friend Dave is no idiot other than the Mopar addiction. He will also be doing an article on converting Holleys, probably mine.
If you are running race fuel now yes E85 is cheaper if your burning 91 it isn't.
http://www.moparts.org/moparts/picture/print/pages/Vraa.html

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
If you want to run the crap here is an article written by one of my friends. I just talked to him on the phone in his truck he used about 11% more "driving it nice, but if you are in the throttle 40-45% more". My friend Dave is no idiot other than the Mopar addiction. He will also be doing an article on converting Holleys, probably mine.
If you are running race fuel now yes E85 is cheaper if your burning 91 it isn't.
http://www.moparts.org/moparts/picture/print/pages/Vraa.html
that's kinda the point man. if a man can make the same amount of power on e85 that he can on race fuel, why would you spend another 2-3bucks more for race fuel? plus the e85 is gonna lower the intake charge temp more than race fuel.
i do know holley and some other companies are putting out e85 specific overhaul kits for holley carbs. i really don't see a what difference(if any) would be in the gaskets, most guys are already runnin the reusuable gaskets that are alcohol capable.
guess i'll be ***boats.com guinea pig for this subject next season. i've got a alky capable pump, and braided hoses, but my carb has holley trick kits in them and i'm not gonna change something that's working great already other than a jet change.
i use a o2 system to gauge my a/f ratio, you ole timers can look at plugs all ya want:Di wanna know my ratio, not guess by staring at plugs;) i've already printed off a couple pages of specs down from guys runnin e85 and what they ran for a/f ratio thru the rpm ranges. most of them had big decreases in egt as well as huge decreases in intake charge temp. on a blower motor, that means big power gains. po man's intercooler/chiller:idea:

Slow What
07-15-2007, 10:33 AM
If you are going to be running BIG psi #s with a Blower or Turbo , E85 won't get the job done .

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 11:00 AM
If you are going to be running BIG psi #s with a Blower or Turbo , E85 won't get the job done .
prob right, but i'll only be building 8-10psi max. i've read alot of posts from turbo users building over 20psi on the stuff without ill affects.

Slow What
07-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I personally haven't used it , I know a few racers that have , they run 35 to 40+ psi (turbo)
They all think 20+ no problem , but with the higher psi they were running into detonation problems

tahitijet
07-15-2007, 12:02 PM
just some really quick math.. in my case i burn 22 gallons of fuel in 4hrs at a very light moderate cruising rate that cost me roughly 80.30 as 91 is commonly 3.65/gallon here, and the same 22gal of race fuel would be 104.50 for the 4 hours.
using the e85 cost of 2.80/gal (no prices here to compare to) and a 33% (average of #'s given above) additional consumption rate over 91 it will cost me 81.87 for the same 4 hours..
using the 50% rate it cost 92.40 for the 4 hours
so it's cheaper then race fuel by far but the determining factor over 91 i guess is going to be the actual additional consumption of e85.
also keep in mind as mentioned above the cost has jumped considerably since more people have started using it and i would expect it will continue to climb as the only competition for it is still almost a buck more expensive so greed will drive the cost up if nothing else.

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I personally haven't used it , I know a few racers that have , they run 35 to 40+ psi (turbo)
They all think 20+ no problem , but with the higher psi they were running into detonation problems
time to inject water/metanol;)

71tahiti
07-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Indiana Tahiti where from? Indy tahiti owner here....

IndianaTahiti
07-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Warsaw here.

IndianaTahiti
07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Warsaw here.

IndianaTahiti
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Warsaw here.

IMPATIENT 1
07-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Warsaw here.
lol, your studdering:D

IndianaTahiti
07-16-2007, 07:53 AM
just a junk computer:rolleyes: