PDA

View Full Version : ASAP Need help with oil amount 460 Ford ????

zgoo
07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Note, this is my first jet boat. Needs some quick advice on the correct oil amount for my boat engine. I bought a "garage find" 1979 Glastron CV-23 with a Ford 460 Berk Jet. The engine and boat like 100% original, looks very clean very low hours on it. I decided to change out all the hoses and oil, this is what I found. I pumped about 6 liters out of the dip stick hole. The oil level was was about 1.5" above full. Looks like there was about 6 qts. in the pan and I added 5. I added five quarts and filled the filter before starting the engine. Now the new oil level is about 1" above full. Any idea how much oil a stock 460 engine takes? Really would hate to damage this engine. I using a Wix filter and Mobil 1 15-50. Thanks alot for any and all help, this is a great place!!
Dan

79centurion
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Does it have a stock car pan on it or a jet pan? If it only took 5-6 quarts then it has a stock pan, and I would recomend replacing it with a 10-12 quart pan. Either that or the dipstick isnt the right one. Running a small pan in a boat will make your oil temp really high and can damage your engine. My picklefork has a 6 quart pan on it, but it doesnt get driven much than 10 minutes at a time(that and race gas is $$$). If you can take a pic of the oil pan.
Dan

Sleeper CP
07-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Is the boat sitting on the trailer at the same attitude that it will be in on the water? Is it a rear pick-up oil pan or a front slump pan and is the engine level?
Sleeper CP

Xlration Marine
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
6 litters,, big pan? Or they filled it for staorage. Post a pic of it if you can. No telling how big it is, most marine stuff is changed over the years. It is 28 years old.

zgoo
07-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the quick response!
The pan is a front sump. I did pump 6 Liters, my pump is marked in liters. It is sitting level not in the water. The level is now 1/4" above safe and I added 5.5 to 5.75 qts. So would it take about 6 qts total if it was sitting in the water being that this is a 23.5' boat that is a bit a$$ heavy?
Yes, 28 years old, but the shape it's in is amazing!! That big bright gold flake is so retro. The boat has no white on it.

79centurion
07-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I would top it off at the lake while it is floating to get it right. Then this winter I would get a jet oil pan that is rear sump and put that in. The motor will like that much more, or atleast add an oil cooler if it doesnt have one.
Dan

zgoo
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
So like a good idea. I did find that it has an oil fiter/cooler adaptor bolt where the oil filter would go. It is just the adpator with a two line one out and one in, but the other ends are connected, as to loop out tne back in, loods like it's readt to bolt a cooler on it.

Xlration Marine
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Not banging the age. Just the fact that parts are going to be replaced from rust and wana go fast goodies. When racing at the track, road racing, most over fill the oil by one quart. Because you can run out of oil when hitting a long sweeping corner. It happens in boats too.

zgoo
07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
So lets say there is 5 qts in the pan, and from what I'm hearing is I need more oil, it would seem that if the oil was say a qt higher to start with that the engine would quickly use a qt when started to get the oil flowing to the top of the engine, would it hurt to run it with and extra qt?
Xlration Marine, I wish things were rusted or look bad, as it is it looks like everthing is in top shape, shame to replace things, but better save then sorry! The boat sat in a garage for 10-12 years, so I'm thinking that the carb has got to be get gummed up, removed the fuel bowls and the carb inside and out look almost like it was run 10-20 hours, but I tore one of the gaskets so I had to rekit it.

Xlration Marine
07-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Extra quart, no. Nieghbor ran her car with 5 extra quarts, just blew the oil cap off. Chances are it will eat it up any way. Engines don't like sitting any way so chances are it will leak from dry rott gaskets in the near future. Go have fun with it and keep an eye on your gauges.

zgoo
07-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Extra quart, no. Nieghbor ran her car with 5 extra quarts, just blew the oil cap off. Chances are it will eat it up any way. Engines don't like sitting any way so chances are it will leak from dry rott gaskets in the near future. Go have fun with it and keep an eye on your gauges.
XM, Come on have a little faith, no bad seals!!!!!!!! whats 10-12 years in a garage? Hell, if I spent 10-12 years in my garage I might have a few seals leaking, WAIT I have spent 10-12 years in my garage!!!:)

rerfert
07-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Take it to the water Baby it some and check the fluids often....just like anything else that is new to you.

zgoo
07-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all of your help!!!