PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Steve Brule at Westech

Cs19
07-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Just wanted to post a big thank you to Steve for helping me out on the dyno at Westech, the guy didnt even stop for lunch and just kept busting his ass looking for more HP, it was money well spent and I learned alot!
I was about to vomit before the first pull from being so nervous since it was my first big block engine build but everything worked flawless and Steve got the engine to achieve my goal..Thanks again Steve!
http://a856.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_5445dc636e96dd3aab432fc628bf29ff.jpg
http://a116.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/118/l_88a2644f20c6319533ca1394ea5aed2b.jpg

Daytona100
07-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Nice engine. Post the dyno sheet.:D Mike

TRG
07-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Your a dickhead Chris!
You know what the next question is????
I am waiting on the reply......:confused:

Sleeper CP
07-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Looks mean enough:D What size is it? Dyno cessions are always a little nerve wrecking at the begining.
Sleeper CP

BrendellaJet
07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
How much power????????????????????????????????????????????? ?:D

djdtpr
07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Congrats CS a little birdy told me you hit your # today. How many pulls did you make on it? Was the # an actual # or a corected?

MudPumper
07-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats Chris. You are just like when a girl takes her clothes off and then won't fock you. Teaser. We need numbers on the motor and with the squeeze.:idea:

Cs19
07-13-2007, 09:29 PM
DJD, my goal was based on a corrected, the number below is also corrected. As far as pulls we made 20 something, cant remember exactly but we worked pretty hard on it and made alot of changes especially in the jetting department.
This combo has less than .800 lift and made over 1000 HP at 6500, so Im real happy. Motor is 100% heavy N20 ready so whatever HP I left on the table with the "trick of the week" will be made up on the bottle. Hoping to go a round or 2 in UBFJ :boxingguy :cool:
Its a nice feeling to come off the dyno knowing everything is ready to rip.

Cs19
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Congrats Chris. You are just like when a girl takes her clothes off and then won't fock you. Teaser. We need numbers on the motor and with the squeeze.:idea:
We didnt squeeze on the dyno unfortunatly, I would love to make a trip back to westech soon for a nitrous tune up though, there just was not enough time to do that.

Nucking futs
07-13-2007, 09:35 PM
One word......NICE:D

djdtpr
07-13-2007, 09:48 PM
10-4 congrats twenty pulls is alot of pulls. I thought we were gonna wear out Areks motor in the gullwing when we pulled 17 times but it seems like you just keep getting more and more out of them. I read that they make like 70 pulls on a nascar motor before they go in the car.:eek:

Sleeper CP
07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
This combo has less than .800 lift and made over 1000 HP at 6500, so Im real happy.
How many inches,what compression ? What is net lift?
Nice piece ,I was on the dyno all day yesterday and only got off 12 good pulls because of one problem after another. What a pain , ended up ok though but wasted a least 3 hours from trouble shooting.
Sleeper CP

Cs19
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
How many inches,what compression ? What is net lift?
Nice piece ,I was on the dyno all day yesterday and only got off 12 good pulls because of one problem after another. What a pain , ended up ok though but wasted a least 3 hours from trouble shooting.
Sleeper CP
568 inches, less than .785 net, thats all you get.:)
we wasted some time with something real lame too and felt like we were behind from the start but things went real smooth after that.
hopefully things went well for you, post your numbers, RPM and some pics.

Sleeper CP
07-13-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll put up some pic's tomorrow. and post a sheet if I can figure out how to do it correctly.
I wont jack your thread with my #'s. I'll try to get something up tomorrow afternoon.
Once again, nice piece.
Jon

RCB19
07-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Walked in for the last pull and there was nothing but smiles behind the safety glass. Who said Hillbillys couldn't build racing engines?? Chris your stoked!!! I hope mine goes as well as yours did. September 1'st is the deadline.

DEL51
07-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Good Job Chris

Johnwithjm
07-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Congrats on your motor CS. Steve is a great guy that is why he is with GOLD CUP RACING LOL

Warp Speed
07-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Just wanted to post a big thank you to Steve for helping me out on the dyno at Westech, the guy didnt even stop for lunch and just kept busting his ass looking for more HP, it was money well spent and I learned alot!
I was about to vomit before the first pull from being so nervous since it was my first big block engine build but everything worked flawless and Steve got the engine to achieve my goal..Thanks again Steve!
http://a856.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_5445dc636e96dd3aab432fc628bf29ff.jpg
http://a116.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/118/l_88a2644f20c6319533ca1394ea5aed2b.jpg
Awesome piece!!!!
That thing should push your boat nicely!! Especialy the way it rides in your avatar!!!!
I feel your pain in the pre-dyno times. I am currently building what appears to be a "poor man's" version of your combo for our "family boat" (pump gas 598 big duke). And although I build race engines for a living, this will be the first big block I've built in 20 years, and only the second engine I have ever built for myself!! Things have changed a little since '88!!:idea:
Great job to all involved!!
Good Luck!!
Warp Speed

Warp Speed
07-14-2007, 03:40 AM
10-4 congrats twenty pulls is alot of pulls. I thought we were gonna wear out Areks motor in the gullwing when we pulled 17 times but it seems like you just keep getting more and more out of them. I read that they make like 70 pulls on a nascar motor before they go in the car.:eek:
Back in the '90's, before we new as much about piston / ring packages as we do now, we used to pull the shit out of them. Now, we run them around 12-14 pulls, or about 150,000-175,000 cycles (o2 and spark scatter runs included). By this time, they are sealed up, stabalized and making max power.
Also, back in the day, we had to run them for an hour or so just to break in the cam (then change springs, oil ect..). Thanks to modern technology and materials, this is no longer needed. What used to be a full day, now only takes about 2 hours from install to final dress area.
Warp Speed

Warp Speed
07-14-2007, 03:45 AM
While we are on this subject, and as you know from my above post I am a big block "Rookie". How low (rpm's) are you pulling these big 800+ ft/lb engines down to, and what exceleration rate (rpm/sec) are you using when testing them??
Warp Speed / Big Block Rookie :)

MikeF
07-14-2007, 05:39 AM
Nice work Chris and Co!.......:D

Sleeper CP
07-14-2007, 07:55 AM
While we are on this subject, and as you know from my above post I am a big block "Rookie". How low (rpm's) are you pulling these big 800+ ft/lb engines down to, and what exceleration rate (rpm/sec) are you using when testing them??
Warp Speed / Big Block Rookie :)
Typical pull 4,000-7,000 (or max limit). with 300 rpm/sec. Sometimes 200 rpm/sec just to see what happens.
Sleeper CP

djdtpr
07-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Back in the '90's, before we new as much about piston / ring packages as we do now, we used to pull the shit out of them. Now, we run them around 12-14 pulls, or about 150,000-175,000 cycles (o2 and spark scatter runs included). By this time, they are sealed up, stabalized and making max power.
Also, back in the day, we had to run them for an hour or so just to break in the cam (then change springs, oil ect..). Thanks to modern technology and materials, this is no longer needed. What used to be a full day, now only takes about 2 hours from install to final dress area.
Warp Speed
what kind of condition are they when they come out after a race? The ones that arent broke i should say!

djdtpr
07-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Who said Hillbillys couldn't build racing engines??
Hillbillys in the OC now that is one of the funniest things ive herd in a long time. Next thing you know you guys will all have beer bellys and drive trucks older than your boats. Maybe you can start up some swamp racing around the OC allso there hillbillys.:D

RCB19
07-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Hillbillys in the OC now that is one of the funniest things ive herd in a long time. Next thing you know you guys will all have beer bellys and drive trucks older than your boats. Maybe you can start up some swamp racing around the OC allso there hillbillys.:D
There are a few around. The John Deere hat with the rolled bill gives it away. Did a little swamp racing last night. Blew her transmission and pitched the drive shaft after an hour of runnin it hard. Back to the shop. LOL!

LGCDEVIL
07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
At least you picked something simple for your first build.
Looks pissed.

Warp Speed
07-14-2007, 08:57 AM
what kind of condition are they when they come out after a race? The ones that arent broke i should say!
Usualy they are within 1-2hp from when they are fresh. Blow-by may be up slightly (.5-1cfm), but generaly they run well.
During the switch to unleaded fuel, we of course had some valve to seat interface problems, and actualy had trouble finishing the races with any lash to speak of. Since we have cured this problem (knock on wood!), and even after a full weekend (2,000,000 + cylcles) they are just as good as when they left.
Of course, these are the ones that make it!!
Warp Speed ;)

Cs19
07-14-2007, 09:02 AM
LGC, check the skull in the dyno room, thought of you when i saw that

Warp Speed
07-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical pull 4,000-7,000 (or max limit). with 300 rpm/sec. Sometimes 200 rpm/sec just to see what happens.
Sleeper CP
Thanks for the info CP. I think we'll run this one 4000-6500. Not sure if these big stainless valves will make it back to the seat in time to miss everything much above that!
Warp Speed ;)

FuelInMyVeins82
07-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Lets go shoot some ducks.

steelcomp
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Good job, CS. Nice piece to start with for your first "biuld". :D
Wasn't Dave invited? :idea:

sdpm
07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Great job Chris. Now change that oil pan and turn the scoop around!:eek: :D

SHAWNINATOR
07-14-2007, 11:05 AM
congrats on the build.

HBjet
07-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Glad everything worked out CS - When are you going to hit the water with it? Elsinore or the River?
Congrats on the numbers, I am sure you have to be fired up... :D

HBjet
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM
The John Deere hat with the rolled bill gives it away.
LOL:D

Cs19
07-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys!
Its weird how after running it on the dyno I have a tottally different outlook on this stuff. Ive been working on this since November and certain parts of this project just flat out sucked and I didnt enjoy that, but now that Ive got some numbers I feel better about it and Im excited to see how things work out, hopefully things hold up and I can put some more radical parts in it and make more HP next go round.

Cs19
07-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Steel, I built this engine myself but I got alot of advice from Mike Miller. I bugged Mike alot over the past few months, cant thank him enough for all the help. I went to the dyno by myself, was nervous as hell :sqeyes:
HB, straight to the river or track, no elsinore.
SDPM, never! ;)

Cs19
07-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Lets go shoot some ducks.
Lets go kill some birds, Im psyched!

HBjet
07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Cool... When do you think your first river trip will be?
Oh, is the new mill still 91 compatible?:idea:

Mike D..
07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Very nice! I would never try to build my own, Congrats. Steve is the man, I have been there a few times myself and Steve is a first class guy. What a bonus for us.
I will never forget the first pull on my blown motor i thought for sure she was going to come apart, But if it did I knew it was someone elses problem and would get fixed free. You had to be worried that if it came apart you would have to cover it all your self. My hats off to you good job.

77charger
07-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Looks good chris.Hope it works out good for you
Now for that nitrous!!

FuelInMyVeins82
07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Lets go kill some birds, Im psyched!
and a dragon or two a red one in particular.

Taylorman
07-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Why did you build a new motor. I thought you had a DNE 1000 hp motor.

sdpm
07-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Steel, I built this engine myself but I got alot of advice from Mike Miller. I bugged Mike alot over the past few months, cant thank him enough for all the help. I went to the dyno by myself, was nervous as hell :sqeyes:
SDPM, never! ;)
Never say never!!:idea:

Nucking futs
07-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Wheres the video??? I want to hear the ponies roarrrrr!!!!!

BUSBY
07-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Oh, is the new mill still 91 compatible?:idea:
I think he's stepped it up a little ... :D

BUSBY
07-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Why did you build a new motor. I thought you had a DNE 1000 hp motor.
Chris' engine got hurt during last season ... chose to take on a build for himself. And did quite a good job! Congrats Chris!

BUSBY
07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Wheres the video??? I want to hear the ponies roarrrrr!!!!!
Ditto!

sofa king smooth
07-15-2007, 06:36 AM
and a dragon or two a red one in particular.
The dragon does not recognize backhoes.:eek:

Nucking futs
07-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Now that funny!!
Diggin holes!!!!!!!

steelcomp
07-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Why did you build a new motor. I thought you had a DNE 1000 hp motor.There's a huge difference between building and engine, and disassembling and repairing/reassembling one, but Chris did a great job, here, no mater how you look at it.

FuelInMyVeins82
07-15-2007, 10:11 AM
LMAO hey its getting better.

BUSBY
07-15-2007, 07:17 PM
There's a huge difference between building and engine, and disassembling and repairing/reassembling one, but Chris did a great job, here, no mater how you look at it.
Chris' build wasn't just a tear apart and reassemble ... I consider it a build with all of the research and new parts he chose, rather than just putting in the parts others told him he should run ...
Chris had to do some serious homework on this one ... and he did it right ... assembled it himself ... and did it right ... there's a ton to be said for that IMO :D
but I know you weren't discounting Chris' build ...

Bense468
07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Very nice Chris congrats.

Cs19
07-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys, please keep the drama to a minimum. I only started this thread to thank Mike and Steve for their help and to post a few pics and some numbers for you guys here on the boards.
Scott, this wasnt just a re-ring and bearing deal but it was definatly much easier than a build from scratch thats for sure. I have a friend doing a from scratch deal right now, I see whats involved and its alot of work. Im excited about this, cant wait to run the boat again.
Thanks for the compliments everyone, means alot.
CS

BUSBY
07-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys, please keep the drama to a minimum. I only started this thread to thank Mike and Steve for their help and to post a few pics and some numbers for you guys here on the boards.
Scott, this wasnt just a re-ring and bearing deal but it was definatly much easier than a build from scratch thats for sure. I have a friend doing a from scratch deal right now, I see whats involved and its alot of work. Im excited about this, cant wait to run the boat again.
CS
no drama here, I watched what you went through and thought rumors shouldn't be entertained, that's all ...
what you experienced was much more than a tear apart, find out what was wrong and install a new part that was broken and/or freshen up the motor.
you did a good job with all of the research and building ... learned alot in the process ... and credit should be given IMO, that's all ... my congrats still stands, great numbers after the changes ... it took balls to take it on yourself, and it worked :D
And ... Steve is the man! :) He deserves the thanks!

Taylorman
07-16-2007, 06:27 AM
So what changes did you make to step it up? To take a DNE built motor and rebuild it yourself is impressive in itself, let alone step it up.

steelcomp
07-16-2007, 06:49 AM
CS
Chris, I know you know what I meant, and wasn't trying to take anything away from you...sorry if it came across that way. I'll say it for the third time...good job. :D

steelcomp
07-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Chris' build wasn't just a tear apart and reassemble ... I consider it a build with all of the research and new parts he chose, rather than just putting in the parts others told him he should run ...
Chris had to do some serious homework on this one ... and he did it right ... assembled it himself ... and did it right ... there's a ton to be said for that IMO :D
but I know you weren't discounting Chris' build ... No, I wasn't, so why the post?
no drama here, I watched what you went through and thought rumors shouldn't be entertained, that's all ...
Rumors??? No drama here...LOL. :notam:

BUSBY
07-16-2007, 07:10 AM
No, I wasn't, so why the post?
Rumors??? No drama here...LOL. :notam:
you know how Hot Boat is ... people can take the smallest thing said and turn it around and make a rumor about it ... (as it usually does)
I know that you know that Chris (and I) knows what you were saying ... ya know? :D (did that make since?)

Cs19
07-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Taylorman, Im not posting all the specs but I wouldnt say it was stepped up, its just a different combination that I tried and for what it is Im happy with the power it made. It certainly would have made more power if it was built by a pro but if you want to do this stuff yourself ya gotta start somewhere and this is a good start I think.
Thanks guys. See you either at the river or track SOON. :D

Mike D..
07-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Taylorman, Im not posting all the specs but I wouldnt say it was stepped up, its just a different combination that I tried and for what it is Im happy with the power it made. It certainly would have made more power if it was built by a pro but if you want to do this stuff yourself ya gotta start somewhere and this is a good start I think.
Thanks guys. See you either at the river or track SOON. :D
come on buddy, how about a little hint or 2. Atleast let us know did you built it for a big shot of nos. What did you use for a top ring?;)

mares98
07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Looks good Chris congrats. Will never build a motor without going to the dyno. worth every penny.

Sleeper CP
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
did you built it for a big shot of nos.)
I don't want to go out on a limb here, but that posted picture sure looks like a Fogger system on that manifold.:rolleyes:
I don't know, but maybe 250-600HP available there? Just quessing;) :)
Sleeper CP

Cs19
07-16-2007, 08:21 AM
come on buddy, how about a little hint or 2. Atleast let us know did you built it for a big shot of nos. What did you use for a top ring?;)
It was built to handle any system I get the balls to try. Got heavy nitrous CP pistons, heavy duty DLC pins and large ring gaps. I used an Akerly and Childs HTD ring, its like a hellfire.

djdtpr
07-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Duck huntin swamp racing and jet boat motor buildin all in the OC! Dont let the guy that does the tv show California gold find this out,you will end up losing the jewel of the OC. Next thing you know you guys will give up the Keystone's for a lucky lauger or a Pabst blue ribbon. By the way i am way in on the duck hunting thing so let me know. Who has to go out into the waves to set decoys.

FuelInMyVeins82
07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Duck huntin swamp racing and jet boat motor buildin all in the OC! Dont let the guy that does the tv show California gold find this out,you will end up losing the jewel of the OC. Next thing you know you guys will give up the Keystone's for a lucky lauger or a Pabst blue ribbon. By the way i am way in on the duck hunting thing so let me know. Who has to go out into the waves to set decoys.
We just figured we would load them in your zoomies and blast them out there.

djdtpr
07-16-2007, 12:31 PM
We just figured we would load them in your zoomies and blast them out there.
Damn that would mean that i would have to put it back together so it will run. Definatlly sounds like work i think id rather just sit around and drink beer.Silver Bullets that is!:)

Jay321
07-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Nice motor Chris. I have known Steve for 10 years now and he is a great friend and awesome engine guy. Steve built and dynoed my 555 in. chevy for my cheyenne. It is a standard port AFR headed motor and made 990hp and 787 lb ft tq. He is very talented at his profession. I couldn't think of anyone else I would trust as far as motors go, as Steve Brule'. Jay

UBFJ #454
07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
It was built to handle any system I get the balls to try. Got heavy nitrous CP pistons, heavy duty DLC pins and large ring gaps. I used an Akerly and Childs HTD ring, its like a hellfire.
Chris ... If your going to step up to using serious go-go gas, I hope you had the tops and skirts of those CP Pistons coated with the appropriate materials and the piston to wall clearance is not more than 0.0025 to 0.0030.

Cs19
07-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jak.
I sat down with the guys at CP for a few hours and they designed the piston for my particular application and I got some spare pistons just in case. I feel they have a handle on things over there and that they did a good job.
Hopefully see that Mamba on the rope soon.
Chris.

UBFJ #454
07-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Sounds good ... CP Nitrous Pistons are good ... We've still on our original set (though their gettn old ... # shots and given the bore we're now running) ... still have our spare in its sealed coating packaging along with its pin ... Given the way things are going I wouldn't be suprised that the spare doesn't wind up as an ashtray some time here soon ... I hope.
When we get everything back together, when Everything is Right for Everyone on our Crew ... We will be back over to Ming for at least some T&T and UBFJ ... And, we'll have to see whether or not we have progressed ..... or ..... digressed in terms of our Quickness ... Could care less about MPH or, for that matter, who's in the 'Other Lane' ... We've never Raced anything but THE CLOCK ... It has just so happened that others are in the other lane.
By the By ... Dan Kirkman's running consistant '08's, '05's now (solely on alky, no n) on a new, untuned pump/hardware setup ... when he gets the new pump dialed in I would expect him to be running mid to high 6's ..... so ...... If anyone wants to claim having The Quickest/Fastest 1/4 Mile Jet ... Better than His #'s are what will have to be Run.

Bottle Fed
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
thats great Chris. Can't wait to see it running down the track and at the river. I will be ready to get some awesome photos for you.