PDA

View Full Version : Just found out my Dad needs Bypass Surgery...

DansBlown73Nordic
07-14-2007, 03:34 AM
I found out yesturday my 60 year old Dad needs a Qaud bypass.....:( He feels just fine. He had some pain and went to the ER. They did a couple tests and WALLAH!!!!!! I know its common anymore, but it is really bothering me. Im sure everything will be fine. Tuesday is the big day....:(

centerhill condor
07-14-2007, 04:07 AM
aren't you glad you found out before a heart attack!
St. Thomas hospital in Nashville claims to do a pretty good job of it...come on down!

Mattman
07-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Good luck..I'm sure everybody on the boards will be pulling for him as well. From what I hear, he will feel like a new man when he's done healing.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Good luck..I'm sure everybody on the boards will be pulling for him as well. From what I hear, he will feel like a new man when he's done healing.
Yep, it's down perfect.
Not too long ago, within most our lifetimes, this surgery wasn't available.
You'll be shocked how fast your dad is on his feet and feeling fine.
We're pulling for him.

Baja Big Dog
07-14-2007, 05:41 AM
My dad had it 25 years ago...hes now 85 and i wish I were in half the shape he is in!!
He listened to the doctors, changed his eating lifestyle, started walking and running (10-15 miles a day!!). He has slowed down a bit now, but he listened.
Now a days it sounds like the surgury is a piece of cake.
He will be fine.
Wish him and your family the best from all of us!!!:D

hotlavey
07-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I found out yesturday my 60 year old Dad needs a Qaud bypass.....:( He feels just fine. He had some pain and went to the ER. They did a couple tests and WALLAH!!!!!! I know its common anymore, but it is really bothering me. Im sure everything will be fine. Tuesday is the big day....:(
I hope he got a second opinion from another recommended heart surgeon before he agreed to the surgery.

Mandelon
07-14-2007, 07:38 AM
A friend of mine had it done last year. He was only 41 ! :eek: Quadruple bypass and he was out of the hospital in two days......took it easy for a couple months and now he's all good.
I wouldn't be so worried. The longer he's in the hospital the less good it is. There's sick people in there.....more likely to get infections and pneaumonia and stuff. Better to recover at home.
Good Luck!

Ion
07-14-2007, 07:40 AM
My mom, who is going on 70, just had a triple and was out in 3 days. It has indeed become pretty routine!

boatsnblondes
07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Hey bro, easy does it, he'll be fine....my dad had one also, he's living to be the old fart we knew he would be.....thing is, that the factors that added up to him needing one, are heredetary, and could lead to you having one some day also....when my dad had his, the first thing he said to my brother and I was to take a look at what we eat and our exercise regime.....you should also......be well and don't worry, he'll be fine.....:D

SurfOnH20
07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Like Ion said these procedures are very common with high success rates. I just said a prayer for your father and I have a good feeling he will walk away from this a stronger man. God speed brother !!

DansBlown73Nordic
07-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the kind words. I took my parents out on the boat yesturday. we had a great day till the motor in the boat went BANG!!!!! Junk FORDS! Only FORD I have ever owned. This will be the second time its been apart.:mad: In nine years.
Im sure everything will be fine with my Dad. Just is kinda screwy for me to think about him needing bypass when he feels so good. He does take alot of naps the last couple of years. Maybe this will help.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 07:18 AM
:( Sorry to hear that. But like someone else said.. Be glad he didn't have a major heart attack.. They cought it just in time.. He will be fine..He will be good as new in a few months.. Just be there for him .
our thoughts and prayers are with all of you for his well being and strength. :)
Hang in there

knobie
07-15-2007, 07:28 AM
had one triple just less than week feeling better than when i went in
other than bit chest pain but that will better in few months :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 07:43 AM
had one triple just less than week feeling better than when i went in
other than bit chest pain but that will better in few months :)
wow.. I bet you feel 10 times better. Glad everything turned out in your favor..
Welcome aboard..:)

Havasu Hangin'
07-15-2007, 08:31 AM
My dad had 5 bypasses two weeks ago (90% blockage). Although he's had a couple complications, it's still better than the alternative.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
07-15-2007, 07:46 PM
We have had friends and family who had it done and they were fine, but the whole secert is to eat better and stay away from the sodium, and excercise even if it's walking, or riding a stationary bike of some kind. Good luck to you and the family.

98 Vector 21
07-15-2007, 07:54 PM
I had quad by-pass several years ago...little sore afterwards went to work by choice part time 1 week later and to the lake with Dicudmore 2 weeks later! He will be as good as new......:)

laveydayz
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
They have this stuff down unless complications. My Dad is 67 and went through a single lung transplant last August at UCLA. Came from bed riddin, to almost 100% in 4 months! His comeback was incredible until the worst of all news came.
While bed riddin from his lung problems, (non smoker) he had a skin cancer on his head (Years at the river in the sun). They removed it but did not get it all. His immune system is weakened by drugs so his body will not reject the lung, therefore allowing the cancer to run wild.
The cancer has since spread through out his body. Now in his bones. Last week, the doctors gave him 4-6 months to live. My dad and I are very close and it has really hit home.
Be very thankful that your dad has a chance. Im sure it will all work out. I am up at Lake Mead now, trying to clear my head a bit. Life is short and spend as much time with pops as possible. Good luck and I wish you and your family the best.
LD

Mrs. Jyruiz
07-15-2007, 08:47 PM
They have this stuff down unless complications. My Dad is 67 and went through a single lung transplant last August at UCLA. Came from bed riddin, to almost 100% in 4 months! His comeback was incredible until the worst of all news came.
While bed riddin from his lung problems, (non smoker) he had a skin cancer on his head (Years at the river in the sun). They removed it but did not get it all. His immune system is weakened by drugs so his body will not reject the lung, therefore allowing the cancer to run wild.
The cancer has since spread through out his body. Now in his bones. Last week, the doctors gave him 4-6 months to live. My dad and I are very close and it has really hit home.
Be very thankful that your dad has a chance. Im sure it will all work out. I am up at Lake Mead now, trying to clear my head a bit. Life is short and spend as much time with pops as possible. Good luck and I wish you and your family the best.
LD
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I can only imagine what you are going through. Enjoy your dad while you can and make lots of memories. Having stories about your dad to talk about will keep him alive.

Mrs. Jyruiz
07-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I will be praying for your dad. I am sure that he will be just great.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Today was the big DAY....everything went very well. He had to have five instead of four. He is very sore but doing GREAT!!!!
Thanks for all the Prayers and Thoughts. Dan

Fire Angler
07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Great news!

Tom Brown
07-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I know its common anymore, but it is really bothering me.
That's plenty understandable.
Soon, he'll be feeling even better. I know some people much younger than your father who have had multiple bypass surgery and it's been like a second youth for them. They feel great and are enjoying life on a higher level.
Both you and your father have my best wishes.

Ziggy
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
All the best to your father Dan. My father just had it done almost 6 weeks ago, he's knocking on the door of 80 yrs old. Slower to recover but now is doing better.
Swelling in the legs were his biggest issue but that has pretty much cleared 100%.
With older folks they recover MUCH slower from the anesthesia. My brother the Pharm D called it "anethesia amnesia syndrome"...although completely lucid he couldn't remember how to do simple everyday tasks that he'd have done blindfolded before....this is now finally wearing off, slowly. Even telling the difference between day and night was off for the first week or two.
my mother had it 13 yrs ago yesterday(saved her life actually) which was the best birthday present I ever had...
Visit with him often.....

boatnam2
07-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I took my parents out on the boat yesturday. we had a great day till the motor in the boat went BANG!!!!! Junk FORDS! Only FORD I have ever owned. This will be the second time its been apart.:mad: In nine years.
Im sure everything will be fine with my Dad. Just is kinda screwy for me to think about him needing bypass when he feels so good. He does take alot of naps the last couple of years. Maybe this will help.
I would be counting your blessing,you could of been going to his funeral,most guys dont go to the doctor to macho or scared or what ever the reason and end up dead form a heart attack.