PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Smoking when Ignition is in on position

78Centurion
07-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a two wire alternator that will start to smoke after a few if you leave the igniton switch on without the engine running.
It is a standard Delco no other problems. It charges Batt fine.
I have the main charge wire from the Alt going through AMP meter and back to Batt, it works. The Green wire from Alt is hooked-up to Ignition switch terminal that is only hot when in the on position. The Alt does have another connection on it that has a jumper from it to the main charge treminal on the Alternator it's self.
I just don't know enough about Alternators.
I don't like the idea that some thing is slowly frying.
Any ideas???

Moneypitt
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
That sounds wrong to me. The "exciter", the one to the ign switch can be connected to the large batt terminal,(only, not to the ign switch) making it a "poor man's one wire". The other small terminal is for a charge light and should not be used.......Try it and see if it stops smoking.......MP

78Centurion
07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
On the back of the Alt the Terminals are numbered 1 & 2.
2 - has a jumper wire going to the Output charging terminal post on the Alt.
1 - was hooked to Ignition switch. As far as I can tell 1 should only be for a light to tell you the Alt isn't charging. If this is true the the indicator terminal 1 has been cooking when the engine is on. :) (is the Alt damaged now?)
So if I want to hook-up terminal 2 to the ignition swith to turn it on and off.
I will need a Diode to keep the alt from powering the coil that is on the same ignition switch terminal. Right?

sidewound
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
#1...Don't leave the key on.
#2...Boat for the rest of the season.
#3...Fix it in the off season.
My solution to everything.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

roostwear
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
2 suggestions
1- get RID of the ammeter before you have a fire or fry wires.
2- get rid of the lead from the #1 term... leave it unused
That's all you need. Have fun