PDA

View Full Version : Credit card theft;;;;; How the hell????

Not So Fast
07-15-2007, 10:27 AM
The Misses gets call yesterday from JC Pennys to ask about a charge for $1500 worth of clothing etc and charged to our Visa card (We have a Pennys card which we use for them) and they wanted to confirm the order before it was processed. :eek: It was catalogue sales BTW. Wifey asks me and I'm in the dark so we tell her no we did not make this charge, the lady then says that the order was placed by Kelly same last name in the state of Georgia???? She immediately cancels the order and we do likewise with the Visa people who said they see no other activity that we dont concur with and that they will send another replcement card ASAP:mad:
We are very careful of our identity, shred all correspondence, use our CC's sparingly, dont give out personal info to anyone we dont approve etc. But yet these crooks got our CC number somehow, GOD DAMN I hate thieves, nothing worse, and they are out there just waiting for you.
The good news is I guess there was no harm, no foul but people be careful out there !!:idea: NSF

Desert Rat
07-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I got a letter a few weeks back that "My loan app for the car loan was denied" Said they could not confirm my SSN. We have no idea how or who this is. they applied locally and used my name. We put a fraud alert on all the cards asap. Now I'm getting a call from Wendy's saying somebody put a claim in against them in my last name (different first though) but used my # and address. I'm hoping the latter is just kids but you never know! People protect your ID at all costs.:mad:

H20Advantage
07-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Sounds like your card was skimmed. Take a look at you billing statement and see where you used it prior to the fraud charges.
Also file a Police report with the locals. If you are in Havasu I know there were a couple of places being looked at for skimming (bad employee making an extra buck). It helps the locals come down on a business and catch the crook if they start seeing a pattern.

Jbb
07-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Georgia.....:jawdrop:

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 11:43 AM
www.lifelock.com
Cheap insurance for identity theft.

LHC30Victory
07-15-2007, 11:45 AM
We are running into a lot more folks that are purchasing personal and CC info from unethical employees at various businesses. Most dont allow their employees access to that info, but not all are that careful....Just watch your credit report(s) and take immediate action if fraud is found or detected.
A tip on the credit reports: EACH credit reporting agency is required to provide one report per year free of charge. We stager the requests so we get three a year - one from ea company....

SummitKarl
07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
The Misses gets call yesterday from JC Pennys to ask about a charge for $1500 worth of clothing etc and charged to our Visa card (We have a Pennys card which we use for them) and they wanted to confirm the order before it was processed. :eek: It was catalogue sales BTW. Wifey asks me and I'm in the dark so we tell her no we did not make this charge, the lady then says that the order was placed by Kelly same last name in the state of Georgia???? She immediately cancels the order and we do likewise with the Visa people who said they see no other activity that we dont concur with and that they will send another replcement card ASAP:mad:
We are very careful of our identity, shred all correspondence, use our CC's sparingly, dont give out personal info to anyone we dont approve etc. But yet these crooks got our CC number somehow, GOD DAMN I hate thieves, nothing worse, and they are out there just waiting for you.
The good news is I guess there was no harm, no foul but people be careful out there !!:idea: NSF
so you used your credit card at the China Buffet?:jawdrop: :D
sorry to hear this Bobby...glad the JC Penney people were on the ball

Xlration Marine
07-15-2007, 01:43 PM
I had an issue with MBNA. Card was closed, two years latter I get a bill. What a bunch of stupid people. They said it had a signiture. Yea and?? Fill out the fraud report and told them to stick it. Had a BofA card- now MBNA, what ever they are the same now. Any way I get a bill??? Account was never opened up, more stupid people. Filled out the Fraud report, up yours again. If you ever get some thing like this just ask for the fraud department and get a report to fill out and send it back to them. They will be off your back, and fast.

Not So Fast
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
so you used your credit card at the China Buffet?:jawdrop: :D
sorry to hear this Bobby...glad the JC Penney people were on the ball
Nope Karl, we're not ones to use the CC for any and everything, in fact we actually carry cash:eek: I admit I have been using it for a few things on the internet but usually use Pay Pal :idea: #1 Dragon House is our usual Asian Pacific suppliers of KUNG PAO and the like:D In fact we cancelled all other CC and kept only Visa because of rates and other practices that I didnt agree with.
This just makes me wonder, Georgia as JBB asked??? How the hell??? And tomorrow we will find out I hope why the authorities couldnt go to the address for shipping the goods since it was catalogue and catch the thieving bastards. That seems like a no brainer to me:confused: NSF

acatitude
07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
instaead of signing my name on the back of my credit card. " photo ID required" is written there... hopefully it will help a little if my card is ever lost or stolen..

RitcheyRch
07-15-2007, 04:54 PM
I actually write "SEE ID" on mine
instaead of signing my name on the back of my credit card. " photo ID required" is written there... hopefully it will help a little if my card is ever lost or stolen..

Roaddogg 4040
07-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I do the same thing with "Ask for ID" and when I tried to use my credit card at the Post Office in Havasu they wouldn't let me use my CC until I signed it. Post office rules,they said. F-off I said, and pulled out the cash...:D Don't ya just love stupid rules???
Steve

RitcheyRch
07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Surprising and scary how many places do not ask for ID.

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I actually write "SEE ID" on mine
Some people do this, but a retailer isn't supposed to accept a card, unless it is signed on the back.
Reasoning is, that the signature isn't just there for identity verification. It's also there to confirm that you agree to the terms of the card. Technically, if you haven't signed it, it isn't valid. Merchants are instructed to ensure that the card is signed by the person who's name is on the card, and to refuse it if it isn't signed.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/comments/creditcard.html
All credit card companies require that the card be signed.

Troubles No More
07-15-2007, 05:42 PM
We had the same problem, someone charged $3500 over in Europe on the wife's CC, we were told that an employee at one the restaurants that she had lunch at was copying the information and then selling it.

Troubles No More
07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
We had the same problem, someone charged $3500 over in Europe on the wife's CC, we were told that an employee at one the restaurants that she had lunch at was copying the information and then selling it.

acatitude
07-15-2007, 05:50 PM
your probably right but havent had a problem yet.... and most dont ask anyways so probably an effert in futility but makes me think im safer

Sleek-Jet
07-15-2007, 05:51 PM
When was the last time anyone asked??? I put something similiar on the back of my cards... it's been months since a sales person has asked to see an ID...

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Most credit card theft today is from employees of businesses that accept the cards. So think about this.
When you use a credit card, all they need is to compare signatures. No other personal info is taken. But if you have "See ID" on the back of the card, they can get your date of birth, your address, and your Driver's License Number.
So now they have your CC number. Your DOB. Address. DL number. AND your signature.
I'd just rather they have my signature, thank you very much.

shueman
07-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Surprising and scary how many places do not ask for ID.
Just finished a two-week roadtrip, towing a 36' boat, from SoCal to Daytona Beach, then up to Toronto, Canada. I had a Corp A/E card, not in my name, and was NEVER questioned or refused, even when I gave my ID with the card at truck stops. Used it for fuel, lodging, meals, etc.
Worst banking theft I had was a xfer from my savings accont to a bank in Texas. Two hits for $2k each. Good thing I check things daily on-line. The bank replaced the funds...never heard anything further.

acatitude
07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Most credit card theft today is from employees of businesses that accept the cards. So think about this.
When you use a credit card, all they need is to compare signatures. No other personal info is taken. But if you have "See ID" on the back of the card, they can get your date of birth, your address, and your Driver's License Number.
So now they have your CC number. Your DOB. Address. DL number. AND your signature.
I'd just rather they have my signature, thank you very much.
I dont think they could remember all that info in the 5 seconds they look to see if the name is the same on lic. and card, but worth thinking about, you may be right... good thing im broke all the time..:(

RitcheyRch
07-15-2007, 08:56 PM
I didnt know that. Thanks for the info.
Some people do this, but a retailer isn't supposed to accept a card, unless it is signed on the back.
Reasoning is, that the signature isn't just there for identity verification. It's also there to confirm that you agree to the terms of the card. Technically, if you haven't signed it, it isn't valid. Merchants are instructed to ensure that the card is signed by the person who's name is on the card, and to refuse it if it isn't signed.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/comments/creditcard.html
All credit card companies require that the card be signed.
I can count on one hand how many times have been asked to see my ID this year. I even comment am glad they ask for it the few times have been asked for it
your probably right but havent had a problem yet.... and most dont ask anyways so probably an effert in futility but makes me think im safer
When was the last time anyone asked??? I put something similiar on the back of my cards... it's been months since a sales person has asked to see an ID...

boatnam2
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Our computer guy told me to never use my atm card as a debit card and always as credit that way i dont enter a pin.He said is son a big time hacker can sit a home depot and read pins.Dont know if it true but i figure why enter my pin if i dont have to the bank changes it to debit anyways.I gassed up at a chevron last year and used a chevron cc at the pump,and somehow someone gassed up 300 bucks in the next 2 days never once has a store clerk seen it.

YeLLowBoaT
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Boat cop is right, its almost always a employee that gets the numbers... you would be amazed at how ez it is for them to do. I have it happen to me alot. I use my Cards to buy all my matierals for work, about once a year I open my bill up to find a charge that is not mine. I only buy matierals from a few supplyers and I know all of those very well.( mostly mom and pop shops) then there is Home depot , I would bet that its an employee of home depot that is doing it. All you need is the account number and the last 4 on the back to place a order over the phone. Both of those numbers are very ez to get from print outs at the "end of biz". Its not that hard to figure out which charge is not mine... you see a whole bunch of building supply companys then out of the blue there will be like "boot barn", "wal mart", or "1800flowers". its always with in a day or 2 of me shoping at home depot...

C-2
07-15-2007, 09:46 PM
The full takedown usually comes from a human resources contact, or somebody who has access to all your info (name/dob/Dl,ss#,phone numbers, previous addresses, xmegrency contact names).
When that happens, it's only usually a day or two of activity, which of course is all they need with the above-info. Wham, bam and they have opened and maxed numerous credit accounts, drained your bank accounts and and have goods headed for Siberia.
Credit card contact info - do you or don't ya - give them good contact numbers. They can't call if your number is disco.
There is no way to get around it - we are all easy targets. If you have a cell phone or single debit or credit card - you can get nailed mo matter what you do. An easy fix is to simply use a dedicated debit card with a low amount of money in it, $1K-$2K.
We're all DOOMED!