PDA

View Full Version : Havasu murder

Not So Fast
07-15-2007, 10:55 AM
A 23-year-old Lake Havasu City man has been charged with second-degree murder after allegedly shooting another man outside a North Lake Havasu Avenue restaurant Friday niAccording to a police report, at about 11:30 p.m. Jonathan David Alldredge and 29-year-old Shawn Keenan got into a scuffle in an alley outside Chili Charlie's Restaurant.ght.[IMG]According to friends of Keenan who witnessed the altercation, Alldredge pulled a Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun out of his pocket and fired at Keenan four times, hitting him twice in the chest,[IMG]Alldredge reportedly fled on foot to nearby Holly Avenue while one of Keenan's friends attempted CPR on Keenan. Police arrived at about 11:34 p.m. and Keenan was declared dead at 11:40 p.m.[IMG]Police later found Alldredge at his residence in the 2100 block of Holly Avenue reportedly loading his vehicle with personal belongings as if preparing to leave the area.,[IMG]He was arrested at approximately 1:05 a.m. Saturday. [IMG]According to Lt. Rich Sloma of the Lake Havasu City Police Department, Alldredge claimed Keenan took a swing at him and knocked him down before he fired on Keenan. [IMG]Police records showed that Alldredge, who works for a local landscaping business, had previously been arrested for indecent exposure, underage drinking and failure to pay fines.
[IMG]It is unknown if he had a concealed weapons permit for the gun used in the shooting.
Plus a scuffle outside KoKoMos left some people in serious condition when the fell over a 10 ft balcony during the fight, so the paper says.
WTF is happening to this little town:confused: :confused: NSF

OutCole'd
07-15-2007, 10:57 AM
You need to get out of there while you can. Move to Vegas where it's safe.....:D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 10:58 AM
A 23-year-old Lake Havasu City man has been charged with second-degree murder after allegedly shooting another man outside a North Lake Havasu Avenue restaurant Friday niAccording to a police report, at about 11:30 p.m. Jonathan David Alldredge and 29-year-old Shawn Keenan got into a scuffle in an alley outside Chili Charlie's Restaurant.ght.[IMG]According to friends of Keenan who witnessed the altercation, Alldredge pulled a Glock .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun out of his pocket and fired at Keenan four times, hitting him twice in the chest,[IMG]Alldredge reportedly fled on foot to nearby Holly Avenue while one of Keenan's friends attempted CPR on Keenan. Police arrived at about 11:34 p.m. and Keenan was declared dead at 11:40 p.m.[IMG]Police later found Alldredge at his residence in the 2100 block of Holly Avenue reportedly loading his vehicle with personal belongings as if preparing to leave the area.,[IMG]He was arrested at approximately 1:05 a.m. Saturday. [IMG]According to Lt. Rich Sloma of the Lake Havasu City Police Department, Alldredge claimed Keenan took a swing at him and knocked him down before he fired on Keenan. [IMG]Police records showed that Alldredge, who works for a local landscaping business, had previously been arrested for indecent exposure, underage drinking and failure to pay fines.
[IMG]It is unknown if he had a concealed weapons permit for the gun used in the shooting.
Plus a scuffle outside KoKoMos left some people in serious condition when the fell over a 10 ft balcony during the fight, so the paper says.
I say they are too worried about the wall they are putting up and not spending enough time enforcing the law..
IMO:)
They need to quit worrying about where people are parking their boats and focus on the rift raft that are moving there.

ChumpChange
07-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Did you really think this stuff didn't happen there?

Not So Fast
07-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Did you really think this stuff didn't happen there?
Well Chump, (may I call you that?) we have lived here for 5 years now and quite frankly things are worse IMO than they were back then. I stay informed as well as I can so yes I think crime is DEFINTELY on the rise here, why, because with growth comes the rest of the scenario, it goes hand and hand. Again it's only my opinion. NSF

PaPaG
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
You need to get out of there while you can. Move to Vegas where it's safe.....:D :D
Yeah Vegas is much safer :D Thats why I carry 2 not 1 lol :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 11:42 AM
you guys should all move to LA.. it's real safe here..
as long as you are in your house..and thats just maybe..:)

ChumpChange
07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Well Chump, (may I call you that?) we have lived here for 5 years now and quite frankly things are worse IMO than they were back then. I stay informed as well as I can so yes I think crime is DEFINTELY on the rise here, why, because with growth comes the rest of the scenario, it goes hand and hand. Again it's only my opinion. NSF
Correct but it's like that EVERYWHERE. The demise of America is happening in every city and Havasu will not be the exception.

Baja Big Dog
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Havasu's murder rate was higher than Santa Ana's on Friday!!!!:confused:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Havasu's murder rate was higher than Santa Ana's on Friday!!!!:confused:
how can you check that.. I'd like to ckeck our city.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Was everybody from Santa Ana at Havasu? ;)
only the Raider fans..:jawdrop: :D :D

Wheeler
07-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Try city data .com http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Ana-California.html

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Try city data .com http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Ana-California.html
Thank you..:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
it is out of date for us.. it goes to 2005 and there was only one murder then..
culver city is very secretive..:jawdrop: :D :D

Baja Big Dog
07-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I guessed, I just didnt here about any murders on Friday in Santa Ana, I did look up some stats, but it didnt see any new stats...:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I guessed, I just didnt here about any murders on Friday in Santa Ana, I did look up some stats, but it didnt see any new stats...:D
LOL!! :D good guess.. :)

shueman
07-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I happen to agree with ya 100%. It has changed alot... :(
I have both friends and relatives that have sold out and gone elsewhere...:)

ThongMagnet
07-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Look at the bold letter below:mad: :mad: :mad:
Murder suspect slipped by
Court errors, mix-ups freed man who police say later killed woman
Robert Anglen
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 15, 2007 12:00 AM
Stephen Reeves came to Arizona a wanted man.
Over five weeks, police say, the 53-year-old ex-con and California drifter moved from town to town on a crime spree that ended with a savage, random murder.
Police reports track Reeves like dots on a map.
He was charged with burglaries in Prescott Valley; cited for driving on a suspended license; arrested on suspicion of burglary in Bullhead City; cited on a count of trespassing in Kingman; and questioned about an attempted burglary in Phoenix.
Seven times he crossed the paths of authorities. And every time, they let him go.
His journey came to a stop on June 2, when police arrested him in a west Phoenix parking lot as he sat behind the wheel of a car belonging to an 18-year-old woman, covered in her blood.
Reeves had no plan to avoid justice; he managed to slip through cracks in the system entirely by accident. A court error released him from jail by mistake. A paperwork snafu allowed him to dodge a warrant. A lapse in communication kept his name from going out on police computers.
The computers actually worked in Reeves' favor. They don't allow patrol officers to view a suspect's full criminal history.
"They had four or five chances to (expletive) lock me up. They probably should have," Reeves said in an interview at Maricopa County's Fourth Avenue Jail. "Right about now, I wish they had."
He recalled little, just that he was looking to score cash for meth and booze. He pleaded not guilty to the murder.
For an Arizona judge, officers and victims alike, Reeves is the poster child for an undermanned court system, overcrowded jails and tangled legal bureaucracy. The system viewed Reeves as a nuisance barely worth dealing with - not a potential killer. Bullhead City Judge Tom Brady described the case as a devastating reminder of what can go wrong.
His sentiments were echoed in city after city: "If only."
Smash-and-grab mystery
Prescott Valley police were stymied.
It was the end of April, and the city was suddenly experiencing a bit of a crime wave. Every day it seemed a business on Arizona 69 was reporting a smash-and-grab burglary.
"We had a total of 23 reports," Prescott Valley Police Cmdr. Laura Molinaro said.
The m.o. was identical. Rocks and bricks through windows, the burglar was going mainly for cash registers and ignoring higher-end merchandise. The thief hit restaurants, an insurance agency, an eye-care center, a chiropractic office and others.
Molinaro said detectives put out feelers across the state, trying to link similar crimes and identify a suspect. Detectives had a good description of Reeves; a store's video camera had caught his image. But they had no match with a suspect.
The break came from Bullhead City police. They had just arrested a guy and his girlfriend for a smash-and-grab: Reeves had thrown a rock through the front window of a business, they said.
Reeves' girlfriend was talking, telling police he had done similar break-ins around Prescott.
Bullhead City busts
Reeves had barely arrived in Bullhead City on May 11 when police pulled over the borrowed car he was driving. He said he was sure he was going to jail.
"I knew there was a warrant out for my arrest (in California). . . . I was driving with a suspended license. I was driving with a beer can in my lap," he said.
Even at 6 feet 1, 200 pounds, Reeves isn't intimidating. He is relaxed, almost ingratiating, with the look of a former surfer.
Instead of taking Reeves to jail, the officer cited him for driving on a suspended license and impounded the car.
"They let us go on our way," Reeves said, adding that the officer didn't even make him pour out the beer.
The California warrant was a misdemeanor for failing to do 45 days in jail on a 2006 drunken-driving conviction. Because California doesn't extradite on misdemeanor warrants, they aren't entered into computer systems in other states. Even if an officer had discovered the warrant, it's unlikely he would have arrested Reeves.
Reeves and his former girlfriend, Lee Ann Graham-Wright, took what they could carry from the car and walked to the Desert Rancho Motel on Arizona 95.
That night, Reeves was caught on a surveillance camera walking across the street from his hotel room and breaking the front window of a store with three businesses. The video caught him walking back and forth from the hotel, first to make sure police wouldn't respond, later to take a $750 silver tea set and rifle through an empty cash register.
The next day, police arrested Reeves and Graham-Wright outside a convenience store and put them in the Mohave County Jail.
Helen Howard, owner of one of the three businesses, Desert River Kayak, said she and the other owners pleaded with the court not to let Reeves out on bond. She said they had heard from police that Reeves was a suspect in Prescott Valley.
But on May 16, Reeves was released on his own recognizance.
"We were really angry when they let him out," Howard said.
Court error forces release
Judge Brady is the first to admit that Reeves should never have been able to walk out of jail. It was a mistake.
On May 14, a Bullhead City Justice Court judge ordered Reeves held on a $5,000 bond, which Reeves says he couldn't pay. But a court clerk lost the paperwork needed to hold him.
In order to keep Reeves in jail, the court requires a criminal complaint to be filed. When the complaint didn't show up, a judge ordered Reeves released on his own recognizance.
"When we make a mistake, we don't try to hide it," Brady said.
Brady said his office is horribly shaken by what happened. He said the court clerk who made the mistake has been "devastated" by it and holds himself partly to blame for the murder. Brady said his clerk wrote him a heartfelt letter expressing his regret.
Brady blames the release on a caseload that has increased 49 percent in the past four years while his staff has shrunk. As the sole justice court judge, he oversees more than 11,000 cases a year. He said his clerk is "terribly overworked."
"It was an honest mistake, and I wouldn't consider (discipline of the clerk) under the current working conditions," Brady said.
Warrant falls through
Reeves still might have remained behind bars in Mohave County if not for a foul-up over a new arrest warrant.
"I was expecting to stay there," Reeves said.
Reeves chalked up his release to jail overcrowding. He said jails cut loose minor defendants all the time to make room for more violent ones. Still, he wondered why Prescott Valley police hadn't popped him yet on the burglaries. While he was locked up in Mohave County, they had visited to interview him about the Prescott Valley crimes.
Prescott Valley detectives were working hard to tie him to the burglaries. On May 16, they got a warrant for his arrest processed by the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office.
Records manager Carol File said her office immediately sent the warrant to Mohave County Jail, which verbally confirmed placing a hold on Reeves.
But that day, Mohave County jail officials authorized Reeves' release based on the order from the justice court.
Mohave County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Trish Carter said officers released Reeves before the hold was placed and later called Yavapai County to alert officers.
But File said the call never came.
If Yavapai authorities had known Reeves was free, File said, they would have put a warrant out on every police computer in the country.
File said that when the Yavapai Sheriff's Office and Prescott Valley police heard of the murder in Phoenix, they still thought Reeves was being held in Mohave County.
"Unfortunately, this is what can happen if people don't properly handle a hold," File said. "That's how (Reeves) managed to slip through the cracks."
Twice more set free
Hours after leaving jail, Reeves was stopped by Kingman police responding to reports of a burglary in progress. Police said they found an intoxicated Reeves under a trailer.
Detective Sgt. Rusty Cooper said police suspected Reeves in two burglaries reported that day but could not tie him to the crimes. They ran a standard background check, but Yavapai and California warrants did not show up on the system.
The officer cited Reeves on a count of trespassing and released him.
Ten days later, on May 26, Reeves had thumbed his way to Phoenix.
Guards at Phoenix College said they caught Reeves using a potted plant in an attempt to break a window. He was carrying a bottle of vodka and was so intoxicated he couldn't stand up. College police say they reported the break-in attempt to Phoenix police and wanted Reeves arrested.
But when the officer showed up after a two-hour delay, he did not examine the crime scene.
Phoenix police Sgt. Joel Tranter said there was not enough probable cause to arrest Reeves.
The officer ran a computer check on his name and learned Reeves had multiple aliases and minor run-ins with Phoenix law enforcement, such as liquor violations.
Like with Kingman police, nothing appeared on the system that indicated Reeves was wanted, Tranter said.
The officer drove Reeves to a Phoenix alcohol recovery center, where he walked a few days later.
Accused of murder
Reeves said his trip to Phoenix was a blur. He said he thought he was on his way to California, but after two days partying with a man he met, Reeves woke up in the Valley of the Sun.
"I have a lot of gray areas," he said. "Sometimes weeks at a time."
On June 2, seven days after the college incident, police say Reeves walked into an insurance office in a strip mall at Indian School Road and 75th Avenue.
Behind the counter, 18-year-old Norma Gabriella Contreras was working alone. When she saw Reeves coming, police say, she reached for an alarm.
Reeves got to her first. Police said Reeves hit Contreras with a brick, then beat and choked her and hit her with a piece of wood. He finally slit her throat with a box cutter. Then he dragged her body into the back of the office and fled with her wallet and car keys, police said.
Reeves won't talk about the murder. He says whatever happened will come out in court.
"What they say I did is way out of character," he said, pointing out that he has four kids of his own.
Reeves ducked his head and ran shackled hands through wavy slicked-back hair. He said he is angry about the way his life has turned out.
"I don't know how it all happened," he said. "It just did."

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Look at the bold letter below:mad: :mad: :mad:
Because California doesn't extradite on misdemeanor warrants, they aren't entered into computer systems in other states. Even if an officer had discovered the warrant, it's unlikely he would have arrested Reeves.
There isn't a state in the US that extradites misdemeanor warrants from out of state. And many misdemeanor warrant are for "In County" extradition, "Adjoining Counties", or "Within 150 miles" and such.
The costs of going to get someone on just a Misdemeanor charge outweigh the urgency of bringing them back. Often the terms of Extradition are based on the amount of Bail set by the court. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands of dollars to go and get someone who skipped on a $250 bond.
And unless the issuing agency will extradite, there's no legal basis to arrest or hold a person on another jurisdiction's warrant.

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure what your point is, but back a few years ago, Arizona didn't even extradite from county to county on misdemeanor warrants. I was let go several times when pulled over with misdemeanor warrants one county over. They would call it in, come back and tell me that they didn't want to extradite and send me on my way with a "have a nice day and get that taken care of."
It was probably a warrant issued by DPS, for a traffic violation. They won't extradite on anything, because they have to do the transports. Either that or some relatively minor offense.

ThongMagnet
07-15-2007, 07:44 PM
There isn't a state in the US that extradites misdemeanor warrants from out of state. And many misdemeanor warrant are for "In County" extradition, "Adjoining Counties", or "Within 150 miles" and such.
The costs of going to get someone on just a Misdemeanor charge outweigh the urgency of bringing them back. Often the terms of Extradition are based on the amount of Bail set by the court. It doesn't make sense to spend thousands of dollars to go and get someone who skipped on a $250 bond.
And unless the issuing agency will extradite, there's no legal basis to arrest or hold a person on another jurisdiction's warrant.
I'd load the loser up in the back of the patrol car, call my LEO friend across the bridge in california, drop him off on one side of the bridge, and tell him to start walking. You know the guy is bad news when he heads for Arizona deserts in the summer time.
I wonder if he has any links to the guy that shot the the officer in Quartzsite a couple months ago?

98 Vector 21
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Dicudmore & I were right in the middlle of that shiat...We were on our way to Dan's storage when we were past by all of L.H.C. finest..and wew were forced to turn out to the highway to get around all of the activity, on the way back we took the normal route and justa bunch of L.H.C. finest had the area in lock down!
Then leaving today about 10nish the family and I going down McCullough (just above K-Mart) as a white import??driving into on comming traffic comming up McCullough went flying by as cars dodged right & left, I was past several seconds later by LHC finest (all of them) obviously on a pursuit. Only to get a call late Saturday nite that the cops here in Simi Valley had my house surrounded looking for a gunman hiding in my backyard....:eek:

3 daytona`s
07-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Spelling LMAO:)

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Dicudmore & I were right in the middlle of that shiat...We were on our way to Dan's storage when we were past by all of L.H.C. finest..and wew were forced to turn out to the highway to get around all of the activity, on the way back we took the normal route and justa bunch of L.H.C. finest had the area in lock down!
Then leaving today about 10nish the family and I going down McCullough (just above K-Mart) as a white import??driving into on comming traffic comming up McCullough went flying by as cars dodged right & left, I was past several seconds later by LHC finest (all of them) obviously on a pursuit. Only to get a call late Saturday nite that the cops here in Simi Valley had my house surrounded looking for a gunman hiding in my backyard....:eek:
If I was gunman, I sure the hell would find a better place to hide, than in a backyard in Coptown, California

98 Vector 21
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
If I was gunman, I sure the hell would find a better place to hide, than in a backyard in Coptown, California
Yep to doors down...Get nightly drive bye's from the whole force!