PDA

View Full Version : Oil level advice?

JBUSAF
07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi all, I have a small block chevy in my V-drive family boat, when I bought it the oil level seemed very high. It has a full length pan with the "T" shape and looks to hold around 10 quarts. The pan itself has a small diptick brazed on to the fill hole bolt. My concern is that when the regular dipstick says "Full" it is over the level of the fill hole. I am currently running it 1/4" below the fill bolt, so a little less than the "Add" mark on the regular dipstick. Oil temp stays around 180, Oill pressure is about 50-60 at 2500 RPM. I have 2 pics in my gallery, but don't know how to attatch them to this and they may be too big anyway. I want to change the oil, but don't want to over or under service it. The regular side dipstick looks like a generic aftermarket type and I feel much better about going off the pan bolt one even if it is a little tougher to get to, once I establish the proper level, I will notch the dipstick and disreguard the standard markings.
Thanks
John B.
:confused:

sanger ss396
07-15-2007, 02:02 PM
sounds like it is what they call a 10 quart pan. that is what i have when i change my oil. i put in 10 qts and that also includes the quart for the oil filter which means u will have 9 quarts in the pan. now if u over fill it with oil it robs u of horse power and rpm by having to much. where do u live in montana. there is some v-drives near white fish montana. i am in spokane wa. and there is a lot of us here. we also do some circle racing too.

JBUSAF
07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks, I will change the oil, put in 10 qts. run it and see where it is at on the stick. I live in Great Falls, have seen a couple of jets and a few tunnel O/B's and one hydro on the water. No other V-drives except the wakeboard boats. I have one more Winter worth of stuff to get done before I put my flatbottom on the water.
Thanks
JB

JBUSAF
07-15-2007, 09:12 PM
On the Racing, I think Nostalgia type would be lots of fun, I still have the vest and helmet, but the Wife says no racing, she grew up with it and has no desire any longer!
I need to work on that!
JB