PDA

View Full Version : Ford Lovers: 565 Dyno Sheet

Sleeper CP
07-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Ford Lovers: 565 Dyno Sheet.
Actually I think any gear head will appreciate this. I pulled the engine off the dyno on Thursday with mixed emotions. The engine actually came off the dyno exactly at my maximum theoretical HP number. The only problem is, my number was to low. And the fact that we chased our tail's for one and a half hours on set up and two hours of run time a total of 3 1/2 hrs waisted. Talk about a "piss off" wow. That part of the day was very frustrating the good part was we finished at 935 HP at 7,000 and 765 lbs. ft at 6,000
Here is the other part of the encouraging news. We all feel as the engine sat when we were done (time & $$) constraints stopped us at 9 hrs. That she had 15-20 Hp left in her. This is the 4th time the 565 has been on the dyno and the only time I didn't put Mobil 1 synthetic in the oil pan after 12-15 pulls. The last 3 times she picked up 10-12 HP with the Mobil 1 in the pan. The other HP left on the table was jetting, we left it fat with A/F of 12.30 average at max HP. We were having carb problems, a very frustrating first for me on any of my engines that I have had on the dyno before.
For you airflow guys out there we made these numbers using my old Holley # 9375 done by Barry Grant in 1990. It was tuned up by C & J Engineering two weeks ago because it had been sitting for so long under cover out side it got messed up. That was a huge part of our tuning problem. It was not C & Js fault though. John at C & J set up the carb assuming the numbers I had given him in the past about the engine. It made 855 HP with a BSFC of .48 so that's how he set up the carb. Boy was that off.
The new engine is running a set of first generation 1990 A-460 Ford Motorsport heads. My buddy Geoff Mummert of Mummert Machine and Development totally reworked the heads with a revised combustion chamber shape for a very fast burn and fully ported with a 2.40 titanium intake valve. It has the same solid roller as before but I got a set of T&D shaft rockers from another friend , Greg Gosset at Total Performance, that are a 1.8 ratio. Greg set up the shaft rockers for me. And then I added a Trick Flow Systems high rise single plane intake. See pictures, the carb pad is 4" taller than the old style high rise intake. We wanted to run them back to back on the dyno but no time to do it. In any case, with all of the "trick" changes that were added to the engine the old base line of 855HP and a BSFC of .48 was worthless to us.
The current engine's BSFC is an incredible .366 which means this engine is using approximately 90 lbs. less fuel per hour than was expected. I guess Geoff did a great job on his "fast burn" chamber.
The Carb is off to C&J this week to get re-calibrated for the new numbers. There are a couple of changes he wants to make on it.(Edit correction I re-did the math, this time I used a calculator instead of my head, the .366 BSFC equates to approx. 106 lbs. less of fuel per hr. or approx. 17.5 gal per hour less fuel burned)
Lastly, the engine was pulling 1.4" of vacuum at 7,000 rpm's. John at C & J about shit when I told him that. He said " pull that damn 1050 off there and put on a 1250 and you pick up 50-60 HP. That poor engine is sucking through a straw"
So this coming winter, if I have the money I'll get a 1250, 10 quarts of Mobil 1 and shoot for a 1,000 HP. If that doesn't work I can always put a vacuum pump on it and pick up 25-40 HP. Oh it never ends does it:D :D :)
A few spec's on the engine: 565 " 4.600 bore 4.25 stroke, 11.8:1 compression, A-460 heads w/2.40 ti intakes and 1.8 T & D shaft rockers,
custom roller cam by Danny Crower( CrowerMotorsports) approx .760 net lift Dur@ .050 278int/284ex Nitrous Cam.
All numbers posted are: All Throttle, no bottle. Power pull # 7.(Because of the 3.5 waisted hours we only made 10 full power pulls :mad: :mad: :( )
Thanks for indulging me. Hope to meet a few of you guys over the next couple of Summer's.
Lastly, I didn't build or assemble this engine. I just spec'd it out and paid for it. I give lots of thanks to my friends: Geoff Mummert( Mummert Machine and Development) Gregg Gossett (Total Performance) and old time drag racer Randy Walls (Super Nova, Nostalgic drag racer) who re-built the short block for me in between racing his car this Summer. Thanks Guys it would not have gotten done with out you.
Sleeper CP
Jon
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0008.jpg?t=1184541806
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/scan0006-1.jpg?t=1184542562

IMPATIENT 1
07-15-2007, 02:15 PM
congrats, i love big stroker bbf's! we just built a 557bbf for a buddy's sanger sj and it runs like a mofo, and wie just done alot of port work to the d3's, ran a 675 custom roller. sounds mean as hell to, we end up about 11.2 to 1 compression on his.

steelcomp
07-15-2007, 03:15 PM
How about some short block details?

nitro557
07-15-2007, 04:01 PM
holy crap thats stout,id like some shortblock info to;)
time for me to do a new motor,i likey:idea:

1968Droptop
07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
NICE FREAKIN NUMBERS !!!! Sounds like it was well worth any and all the effort put forth.

camoman
07-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Very very nice;)

Sleeper CP
07-15-2007, 08:50 PM
holy crap thats stout,id like some shortblock info to;)
:
Can't I keep something a secret?;)
Thanks for the props Guys. Can't wait to stick my foot in it the first time and feel that power :D with the new MPD pump.
Sleeper CP

nitro557
07-16-2007, 02:57 AM
pm me

cfm
07-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Ford Lovers: 565 Dyno Sheet.
Lastly, the engine was pulling 1.4" of vacuum at 7,000 rpm's. John at C & J about shit when I told him that. He said " pull that damn 1050 off there and put on a 1250 and you pick up 50-60 HP. That poor engine is sucking through a straw"
Yup, carb is restricting you big time. HP added with more airflow ? Hard to guess, especially since fuel metering is is just as important, but again 1.5" is just too much of a restriction.
Sounds like an exciting build. Thanks for sharing.

dmontzsta
07-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Good stuff.

Sanger Jet
07-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Nice blue Oval !!!
I was amazed myself at the HP a stroker makes:devil:

Cs19
07-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Nice work sleeper!! What RPM do you think you can turn your new jet-drive?

djdtpr
07-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Sleeper is that a DTS dyno? My buddy bought one about three months ago and we are useing the hell out of it. They say they can handle some big power on those things so we are gonna run a blown injected alky deal that i am finishing up in a couple weeks. Congrats on the outcome of your build.

Sleeper CP
07-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Nice work sleeper!! What RPM do you think you can turn your new jet-drive?
I faxed the dyno sheet to Jack @ MPD on Friday. I asked " do you think it will have a problem turning that new pump past 6 grand?" He relplied " I don't think that will be a problem"
I think it will be 6,300 off the bottle, that's 900 hp to turn the Legend "A".
The pump has the detailed s/s Legend with a 9.25 AT bowl fully detailed.
I'll back the Nos down to 200 HP. So it will have 1,100+ hp available from 6,300 to 7,000. It should be able to pull the pump to 6,800 on the bottle.
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Sleeper is that a DTS dyno? . Congrats on the outcome of your build.
Yes, DTS dyno. A very smooth unit. If the Carb wasn't jacked -up and wouldn't idle for $hit, I would have had him pull it down to 3,500 just for the
hell of it.
CS19-
The question on the pump is how well can I load it. When I picked the pump up at MPD I took the boat up with all of our hardware. I probably have more hardware than any jet boat owner who has never been down the 1320 on race day. Jack looked at all the stuff and we established a new baseline for the set up. So if I can load his "A" and get it to spin 6,200-6,300 off the bottle, the boat will really be hauling the mail.
Sleeper CP

hotbo
07-16-2007, 11:37 AM
that is great #S:D im so glad for ya cp hope it all works out like ya think it will.:idea:
oh yeah i have to throw this one in there if it was a chevy you could have double those #s.lmao!!!!!
congrats slepper cp.later trav.:D

djdtpr
07-16-2007, 12:26 PM
I would have had him pull it down to 3,500 just for the
hell of it.
Sleeper CP
We usually pull ours from 3000 just because. Sure sounds like its struggling down at those r's though kinda makes ya sick to your stomach at first.

Cs19
07-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, DTS dyno. A very smooth unit. If the Carb wasn't jacked -up and wouldn't idle for $hit, I would have had him pull it down to 3,500 just for the
hell of it.
CS19-
The question on the pump is how well can I load it. When I picked the pump up at MPD I took the boat up with all of our hardware. I probably have more hardware than any jet boat owner who has never been down the 1320 on race day. Jack looked at all the stuff and we established a new baseline for the set up. So if I can load his "A" and get it to spin 6,200-6,300 off the bottle, the boat will really be hauling the mail.
Sleeper CP
Definatly, if its loaded and turning that A 6300 you will be moving out pretty good. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sleeper CP
07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
How about some short block details?
Hey Steel & Nitro,
Just messing with ya about the secret stuff,:rolleyes: I didn't build it to race just to go fast at the river again.
FordMotorsport A-460 Block
Crower 4340 4.25" crank. (crank is a Ford raw forging from 1992)
Crower BBC Rods 6.536" with 2.200 journal
Arias dished pistons/ coated set at .005 in the hole
Total Seal Zero gap rings
Same Block,crank and rods since 1993, don't ask about pistons though:(
That should about cover it. :)
Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Yup, carb is restricting you big time. HP added with more airflow ? Hard to guess, especially since fuel metering is is just as important, but again 1.5" is just too much of a restriction.
Sounds like an exciting build. Thanks for sharing.
I'm kicking my self in the a$$ that I didn't drive home and grab my C & S Specialties Aresol Billet 1100 CFM Dominator. But that's not the carb that I'm going to run on the boat and I wanted to get the other carb tuned. I screwed up there. It's definatley worth a few more ponies. Next Winter we'll find out, cause I'll get a 1250 and I'll run the Aresol Billet and I'll see what happens.
I'm glad you appreciate the info. Thanks
Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
LMAO haha had to. I see someone's wearing sandals in the shop? ooo that could be a no no!:D
Very, very impressive numbers. Damn how many motors do you have laying around? Hmmm might be gettin my boat on the water by the time that's in and runnin in your boat, difference is mine's a piece!:jawdrop:
Very nice, hope to see more like it;)

Sleeper CP
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
difference is mine's a piece!:jawdrop:
Very nice, hope to see more like it;)
If it floats and can get to and from the sand bar on it's own power and helps put a smile on your face for the day it really doesn't matter what it looks like does it?:idea:
Hell I might (God forbid) be asking you for a tow one day, then who's looking cool?:(
I was laughing a couple of weeks ago about how much(or how little) you and a couple of others paid for their boats, I was saying to my self , I have 4 different carburators that cost more than that. Wow. But it does'nt matter what it cost you as long as it makes you smile:) Thanks for the lesson.
As far as other motors, when I get some extra money I would like to put my 512 back together for a back up.
It was a 710 HP at 6,200 engine. I'll re-cam it and the heads have been worked on ,it'll make 750 easy now.
Jon

pw_Tony
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
If it floats and can get to and from the sand bar on it's own power and helps put a smile on your face for the day it really doesn't matter what it looks like does it?:idea:
Hell I might (God forbid) be asking you for a tow one day, then who's looking cool?:(
I was laughing a couple of weeks ago about how much(or how little) you and a couple of others paid for their boats, I was saying to my self , I have 4 different carburators that cost more than that. Wow. But it does'nt matter what it cost you as long as it makes you smile:) Thanks for the lesson.
As far as other motors, when I get some extra money I would like to put my 512 back together for a back up.
It was a 710 HP at 6,200 engine. I'll re-cam it and the heads have been worked on ,it'll make 750 easy now.
Jon
Sorry just had to make one more comment bout that lol.
Last year I had taken my Spectra for the first time to Martinez up to Piccacho. My buddy just a week before hand had bought a 2006 22' Stealth with a 502 I believe.
Well anyways I barely made it to the sandbar, but my alternator wasn't charging:jawdrop: , couldn't fix it there so I had to get a jump to start to cruise back down the river. Well when we got to Silicone beach(or the big sandbar, whatever you call it), I saw my buddy there waving me over. He got something lodged in the pump so he couldn't get it going, and I tried to get whatever it was but I couldnt in the water, even though his boat still sounded burly as hell:D
So I gave him a tow back, but once I got into fisher's the batterys were Ka-Put. So had to swim it on the trailer...
Let me know when you're goin out and ready, I'll see if I can make it;)