PDA

View Full Version : what crankshafts for higher horse power

mexrunner
07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
looking at building a twin turbo bbc and wanting to know what cranks i should stick with looking for stock 427 or 454 stroke would like to get 1200 plus hp

vee-driven
07-15-2007, 11:30 PM
callies or bryant, for that kinda HP, how are you trying to get 1200hp with 454ci unless your boosting the fuk out of it, then say byby to reliability.

VAMI
07-16-2007, 06:06 AM
That wont be a 500$ crank more like 1500$

WannabeRacing
07-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Callies- not that 'dragon slayer', Eagle wannabe deal. But a real one.
Cola-
Lunati- their good stuff
Sonny Bryant, Velasco or Winberg are spectacular, but pricey.
I have heard good things about the Ohio crankshaft billet deals for strength for a good price, but not sure yet, as I have not run one.
Heard good things about the american forgings from the Oshkosh boys.
I have heard of guys running the 'slow boat express' cranks as high as that, but mostly for drag applications without needing longevity. But you would not catch me trying that. (Cat, Scat, Eagle, DragonSlayer, and whatever else brand name they stick on the next shipment.)

dc96819
07-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Seen this out there
LS–1 Pro Series Crankshaft
Stroke 3.622 4.000 4.125 all have
2.559 Main Bearing
2.100 Rod Journals
Minimum Rod Length 6.125
Crank Weight: 50–51 Lbs.
Installation Notes
Must Use Chamfered Bearings!
We Recommend Using King Alecular Bearings.
Rod Bearing Part# CR848HP
Main Bearing Part# MB5013HP
Features
4340 Non Twist Alloy
Induction Hardened
Mains Gun Drilled
Counterweights Have Contoured Wing Design
All Journals Are Ground To A .140" Radii For Added Strength
All 4 Pins Have 1" Angle Lightening Holes And Profiled Pin Arms
Built For Hard Core Racing
Limited Warranty
$1995 per crankshaft

HIRED GUN
07-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Callies- not that 'dragon slayer', Eagle wannabe deal. But a real one.
Cola-
Lunati- their good stuff
Sonny Bryant, Velasco or Winberg are spectacular, but pricey.
I have heard good things about the Ohio crankshaft billet deals for strength for a good price, but not sure yet, as I have not run one.
Heard good things about the american forgings from the Oshkosh boys.
I have heard of guys running the 'slow boat express' cranks as high as that, but mostly for drag applications without needing longevity. But you would not catch me trying that. (Cat, Scat, Eagle, DragonSlayer, and whatever else brand name they stick on the next shipment.)
the dragslayer and howards cranks are the same forging besides the extra detail machining as the magnum!...for a lot cheaper!:D ....cant say anything about CAT or SCAT or eagle basic cranks except they have a run out problem from front to back........i have a callies in one motor no prob,,the other a bryant also no prob,1100 or 3500 bucks?:idea:

pw_Tony
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Crower Billet?

Infomaniac
07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
The Dragoslayer is the same forging as the magnum etc.
The dfference is the amount of finish machining and the amount of induction hardening.

adjones419
07-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Callies Magnum

fc-pilot
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I spoke with Callies about six months ago and was informed that the Dragon slayer forging was an over sea's forging and was machined by them. They said they were doing that to compete with the other over sea's cranks. Did their tech guy feed me a lie?
Paul

HIRED GUN
07-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I spoke with Callies about six months ago and was informed that the Dragon slayer forging was an over sea's forging and was machined by them. They said they were doing that to compete with the other over sea's cranks. Did their tech guy feed me a lie?
Paul
an overseas crank would be like 500 bucks..:D