PDA

View Full Version : Question for boatcop

jbone
07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey Boatcop,
Just a quick question. It seems I pissed off a Deputy on the lower river.
He had someone pulled over and was tied up with lights on.
As I approached, I slowed down from from 40 mph to just enough to remain on plane, but barely. I went by at about 60 ft away, but I apparently didn't slow down enough. He became visibly agitated. It should be noted he was in an area of high traffic and was just down river from an island. Due to the shallow water, the island and the bank formed the only boatable area. With many boats going both ways, it made him diffcult to see until the last minute. He was not in the channel, but just to the side out of the way.
I met up with another deputy later and asked him if I was supposed to slow to no wake speed. He said yes. I asked how far away must I be to remain on plane and he was not clear. In fact he was pretty evasive. I said if I remain over 100 ft away, am I okay to stay on plane and he said, "something like that, if it is safe".
What kind of answer is this?
I'm hoping you can clear things up for me. I try to be safe and boat responsibly, but I don't know all the rules. If I am unsure on what to do, I just try to use commons sense.
Thanks,
J

PHOTOGLOU
07-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey Boatcop,
As I approached, I slowed down from from 40 mph to just enough to remain on plane, but barely. I went by at about 60 ft away, but I apparently didn't slow down enough. He became visibly agitated. It should be noted he was in an area of high traffic and was just down river from an island. Due to the shallow water, the island and the bank formed the only boatable area. With many boats going both ways, it made him diffcult to see until the last minute. He was not in the channel, but just to the side out of the way.
I met up with another deputy deputy later and asked him if I was supposed to slow to no wake speed. He said yes. I asked how far away must I be to remain on plane and he was not clear. In fact he was pretty evasive. I said if I remain over 100 ft away, am I okay to stay on plane and he said, "something like that, if it is safe".
I'm hoping you can clear things up for me. I try to be safe and boat responsibly, but I don't know all the rules. If I am unsure on what to do, I just try to use commons sense.
Thanks,
J
I have gotten a ticket for this... Not fun... It was in Havasu BUT by S B Sheriff. 100 ft Blue light law....

Jbb
07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Boatcop,
I met up with another deputy deputy later and asked him if I was supposed to slow to no wake speed. He said yes. I asked how far away must I be to remain on plane and he was not clear. In fact he was pretty evasive. I said if I remain over 100 ft away, am I okay to stay on plane and he said, "something like that, if it is safe".
Thanks,
J
Boss Hogg sez.......Cuff em & Stuff em Roscoe!......:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35013&stc=1&d=1184552541

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
There's no provision that you have to slow down when passing other boats, no matter who they are. But you ARE responsible for any damage that your wake causes. If either of the boats were damaged, and it could be attributed to your wake, you'd have to pay for any repairs.You could also be charged with Careless, Reckless, Negligent Operation, for operating a vessel in a manner that causes property damage,
California has laws that state that wake less speed is required within 100' of a dock or landing and 200' of a beach or swim area. But that's not really enforced too much on the River, since it's sometimes barely 200 feet wide..

Boatcop
07-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I have gotten a ticket for this... Not fun... It was in Havasu BUT by S B Sheriff. 100 ft Blue light law....
I found this in CA Boating Laws, but there's no mention of any required distance.
625.5(d) Any vessel approaching, overtaking, being approached, or beingovertaken by a moving law enforcement vessel operating with a siren or an illuminated blue light, or any vessel approaching a stationary law enforcement vessel displaying an illuminated blue light, shall immediately slow to a speed sufficient to maintain steerage only, shall alter its course, within its ability, so as not to inhibit or interfere with the operation of the law enforcement vessel, and shall proceed, unless otherwise directed by the operator of the law enforcement vessel, at the reduced speed until beyond the area of operation of the law enforcement vessel.

jbone
07-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess this is why the deputy I talked to was vague. You have answered it in a way that clears things up. Like always.
He was in an area heavily travelled, maybe he could have moved to a safer area.
J

Ultracrazy
07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess this is why the deputy I talked to was vague. You have answered it in a way that clears things up. Like always.
He was in an area heavily travelled, maybe he could have moved to a safer area.
J
Or maybe you could have made it easier on him and slowed to wakeless speed. Sometimes you have no choice where people stop or don't stop. I can't imagine what it's like doing a "boat" stop on fast moving river. Doing car stops is tough enough. Lets give these guys a break and make it easier on them. I'm sure 60 seconds of slow speed would not be a big deal.

GunninGopher
07-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Personally, I always drop off a plane. I don't want to make things tough on them, because they can always find a way to make things tough on me, and I keep it pretty clean.

Racey
07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
But you ARE responsible for any damage that your wake causes. If either of the boats were damaged, and it could be attributed to your wake, you'd have to pay for any repairs.You could also be charged with Careless, Reckless, Negligent Operation, for operating a vessel in a manner that causes property damage,
I never knew this, some of my Lake Arrowhead customers should be putting this law to use. Azzhole wakeboarder boats have caused tons of gelcoat gouges to their brand new schiadas :mad: all those guys do is make huge waves, sub planing 15 mph all the time with huge wakes to begin with, then they fall ever 2 friggin seconds trying to do another trick and make 50 u-turns for the skier in an hour... i can't stand em. Does this count even if the boat is tied up to the dock, or only if it's free floating? Very good to know.

YeLLowBoaT
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I never knew this, some of my Lake Arrowhead customers should be putting this law to use. Azzhole wakeboard boats have caused tons of gelcoat gouges to their brand new schiadas :mad: Does this count even if the boat is tied up to the dock, or only if it's free floating? Very good to know.
Its 100% of the time...

jbone
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Or maybe you could have made it easier on him and slowed to wakeless speed. Sometimes you have no choice where people stop or don't stop. I can't imagine what it's like doing a "boat" stop on fast moving river. Doing car stops is tough enough. Lets give these guys a break and make it easier on them. I'm sure 60 seconds of slow speed would not be a big deal.
I am a deputy myself, 18yrs. I admit I don't don't know all the laws on the water. That is why I asked.
As far as slowing down, and even going no wake, I usually go way around ALL floating/fishing boats or come off plane if there is no room. So, I try to respect all others on the water. However, like I said he was in an area that was difficult to see.
I was following a string of boats about 5-6 long with another 3-4 behind me. Another string of boats was going in the opposit direction, between me and the deputy. I was going down river and passing an island on my left. As soon as I saw the deputy, I began to slow, but it was already too late. My wake, and the wake of other was already tossing him around. I think I was the only one to see him and even try to slow down. I never actually came off plane because it was already to late help.
I know nothing about water stops, but I would have considered asking the driver to drive or even drift down river about a hundred yards to a much safer and visible area.
J

Ultracrazy
07-15-2007, 11:01 PM
I am a deputy myself, 18yrs. I admit I don't don't know all the laws on the water. That is why I asked.
As far as slowing down, and even going no wake, I usually go way around ALL floating/fishing boats or come off plane if there is no room. So, I try to respect all others on the water. However, like I said he was in an area that was difficult to see.
I was following a string of boats about 5-6 long with another 3-4 behind me. Another string of boats was going in the opposit direction, between me and the deputy. I was going down river and passing an island on my left. As soon as I saw the deputy, I began to slow, but it was already too late. My wake, and the wake of other was already tossing him around. I think I was the only one to see him and even try to slow down. I never actually came off plane because it was already to late help.
I know nothing about water stops, but I would have considered asking the driver to drive or even drift down river about a hundred yards to a much safer and visible area.
J
Not sure what the circs were but I know what you are saying. But as you know..........some people are just HUA and what ever you tell them doesn't seem to sink (no pun) in. I'm sure Boat Cop will handle the issue :D

juicy noodle
07-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Having done a few boat enforcement stops myself, It is so much harder than vehicle stops. First it is very hard to get the people's attention then, then like vehicle stops they pick where they stop their boat. Finally my department was always held liable for any damages occurred during the stop. The deputy was probably mad because of the high traffic and worried about scratching the violators boat.
I'm sure the deputy was at the least glad that someone was watching him and aware of him..
Good lookin out for attempting to slow down....