PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Regarding Fatal Havasu Boat Accident on Sat, July 7th !!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Greetings Gang....
Some help is needed in locating the owners of a boat that may have been involved in the fatal accident on Havasu on Saturday, July 7th at about 4:14 PM....
The accident occurred in California waters between Havasu Landing and the Windsor launch ramp.....
The boat in question is a 28-32' "V"-Hull, primarily white in color with red trim and appeared to be heading towards Havasu Landing...
The boat has some type of "bird" logo and front docking lights....
According to the Mojave County Sheriff’s Department, the boat left the scene of the accident without rendering assistance....
Any information would be appreciated....
Hey "mods"...can you make this a stickey ??
Regards,
SNS
;)

ThongMagnet
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
I think your looking for Video or Pic's:idea:

DSW
07-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Is this the 21 y.o. that drown or is this #2 for the year?

Formula Dude
07-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Greetings Gang....
Some help is needed in locating the owners of a boat that may have been involved in the fatal accident on Havasu on Saturday, July 7th at about 4:14 PM....
The accident occurred in California waters between Havasu Landing and the Windsor launch ramp.....
The boat in question is a 28-32' "V"-Hull, primarily white in color with red trim and appeared to be heading towards Havasu Landing...
The boat has some type of "bird" logo and front docking lights....
According to the Mojave County Sheriff’s Department, the boat left the scene of the accident without rendering assistance....
Any information would be appreciated....
Hey "mods"...can you make this a stickey ??
Regards,
SNS
;)
The boat sounds like a Formula, not too many around (west coast) with front docking lights.

BoatPI
07-16-2007, 05:19 AM
I agree 100%, this sounds like a Formula. Theya have a "Thunderbird" logo generally in sliver on many of them.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Is this the 21 y.o. that drown or is this #2 for the year?
Yes....the 21yr old.....
Thanks...
SNS

pixilatedpussy
07-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear about this! It is also very disturbing that someone would leave the scene of something so horrific! We were not out that weekend so we have no info, but we wish that this person is found & charged!

BALLSDEEP
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Body of missing boater recovered
By DAVID BELL
Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:55 PM MST
Rescue divers recovered the body of a 21-year-old man that died following a single-boat accident on Lake Havasu Saturday.
Mohave County Sheriff's Office divers, assisted Lake Havasu City Police Department, San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office, U.S. Fish & Wildlife and BLM Rangers, retrieved the body of Jeremy Conklin, of Felah, Wash., Sunday at 2:33 p.m.
Conklin's body was found close to the scene of the crash, in the north basin, about one-mile east of Windsor Beach launch ramps at Lake Havasu State Park. SBCSO's sonar unit located the victim.
The crash occurred at 4:14 p.m. Saturday. A 72-year-old Lake Havasu City man was at the throttle of his 1992 Awesome 30-foot Daycruiser, and was traveling southeast at a high rate of speed, when he made a sharp turn to starboard.
That sharp turn, which MCSO officials said was due to heavy boat congestion in the area, caused the boat to roll and eject the driver and five passengers.
The operator and four of the passengers were rescued by Good Samaritans and brought in to Lake Havasu State Park for transport to Havasu Regional Medical Center. The fifth person - Conklin - failed to surface.
Two of the injured were classified as needing immediate medical attention while the other three were less-seriously injured.
The identities of the victims were not released. Lake Havasu City Fire Department personnel said the injured included one woman and four men.
MCSO was able to recover the boat Saturday and bring it into shore for further investigation. The vessel is reported to have suffered “significant damage.”
Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash. No charges have yet been filed and investigation is ongoing. An autopsy has been scheduled.
It's the first death on the Colorado River between Needles and the Parker Dam this year. Last year there were six fatalities on the river and Lake Havasu.
Reporter Diana Parker contributed to this story.

Wmc
07-16-2007, 05:28 PM
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM #44
waterboy
Posts: 156 i was there, the boat was white with a teal and pink stripe, had a hot boat sticker on it and a whipple sticker . as far as experience i see that guy out there all the time. and as far as heavy boat traffic there were only 2 other boat there when it happened. i herd loud noise looked over and saw a huge splash. there was alot of debris floating around.sad day.
Waterboy was on site maybe he can Help?

waterboy
07-16-2007, 06:49 PM
i was there ,but dont recall seeing that boat, if there is anything i can help with pm me your #. hope i can help.

Formula Dude
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Its either an SR1 or early 1997 / 98 Fastech Formula. Those came from 30 to 35' lengths.

IDRPSTF
07-17-2007, 07:31 AM
In the early 90 Hawk power used to put a sticker on boats when they did a rerig. About 1.5 X 1.5 foot.
I'll take the plane up next weekend with a spotter and do a run up the river.

Formula Dude
07-17-2007, 08:31 AM
In the early 90 Hawk power used to put a sticker on boats when they did a rerig. About 1.5 X 1.5 foot.
I'll take the plane up next weekend with a spotter and do a run up the river.
I'm almost positive its a Formula. Formula used that color combination from the early - mid 90's. The docking lights are a Formula signature.

frdvschvy
07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
The wife clearly remembers seeing this boat on the water several times that week. It stood out in her mind because it was very clean and simple. From what she remembers the driver was a hispanic male late 20's to mid 30's in age. Sorry we can't be of more help. Will definitely keep my eyes open though.
We also saw Bernie's boat on the water earlier in the day of the accident. My stomach did a back flip when we came accross the recovery efforts about 30 minutes after the accident. Hope everyone involved in the wreck is healing both physically and emotionally.

Car 5
07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I think it must have been the Budwiser Beer can that was in Bernies hand and not a boat.
Mostly white with red stripes and some kind of bird logo.
I see where this is going, try to blame someone else when everyone knows he is never without a beer in his hand when he is on the water!
Bernie should take responsibility for HIS fukin drunkness!
A drunk is a drunk!

jbone
07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
:sqeyes: :idea:

rocket98
07-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I think it must have been the Budwiser Beer can that was in Bernies hand and not a boat.
I see where this is going, try to blame someone else when everyone knows he is never without a beer in his hand when he is on the water!
A drunk is a drunk!
I dont think that this is the time or place to make these accuzations. Take the drama to another thread. This is real life Azzclown........... Your mother raised you jus like her. POS. I can't spell cause I'm pissed

Car 5
07-18-2007, 04:59 AM
I dont think that this is the time or place to make these accuzations. Take the drama to another thread. This is real life Azzclown........... Your mother raised you jus like her. POS. I can't spell cause I'm pissed
Whats the matter, the TRUTH hurts! Bernie IS a drunk and a 21 year old is DEAD because of him! You stupid fukin azz!

Da Twins
07-18-2007, 05:06 AM
A drunk is a drunk!
when you need some friends just let us know
Bernie & Carol has helped more people then people you know
They had there grandkids in the boat

Car 5
07-18-2007, 05:29 AM
when you need some friends just let us know
Bernie & Carol has helped more people then people you know
They had there grandkids in the boat
So because they have helped other people its ok to drink and drive a boat at a high rate of speed and kill someone!!! You Havasu people are such a bunch of LOW LIFE FUKIN LOOSERS!

Havasu1986
07-18-2007, 05:33 AM
Who is Bernie and how would anybody know him. Is he in the boating industry. :confused:

frdvschvy
07-18-2007, 06:02 AM
So because they have helped other people its ok to drink and drive a boat at a high rate of speed and kill someone!!! You Havasu people are such a bunch of LOW LIFE FUKIN LOOSERS!
Thank you for your intelligent and insightful contribution to this thread.
I am sensing a little bit of anger here. 9 posts so far and nothing but anger and hate. I am guessing perhaps a friend or relative of the young man that lost his life? If so, I am very sorry for your loss. Definitely a very tragic situation.

Wmc
07-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Who is Bernie and how would anybody know him. Is he in the boating industry. :confused:
He makes Whipple parts at his shop in Havasu. BMC Machine.

That Guy
07-18-2007, 07:44 AM
If you've boated in Havi then you have seen Bernie...you may not have known it but you probably have seen them....he and his wife are an older couple who we have spoken with on numerous occasions and they have always been pleasant and friendly. Regardless, this is a tragedy for all involved....:(

Wizard29
07-18-2007, 08:40 AM
By what the story seems to say, it is a single boat crash. That would mean the boat the Sheriff's Department is looking for was not involved.
They are probably looking for the boat because it was nearby and the occupants might have further information. I don't think they could be charged with anything though. Driving by a crash when you see one happen might not be the most helpful or friendly thing to do, but I don't think you can be charged with a crime for it. Of course, I could be wrong...

Big Warlock
07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=BALLSDEEP;2675693]
Alcohol may have been a factor in the crash. No charges have yet been filed and investigation is ongoing. QUOTE]
If this is true, I don't care who else was around!!! And I don't care how long they have been boating!!! And I don't care how nice they are!! I make it a point to never, ever get into a boat, plane or car with alcohol in my body. :mad:

MADDOG355
07-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I am thinking this boat may be responsible for the sudden turn, Or just the closest boat to the scene when it happend.
I do beleve it is a law that they must offer assistance if they are the nearest boat.

Big Warlock
07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I am thinking this boat may be responsible for the sudden turn, Or just the closest boat to the scene when it happend.
I do beleve it is a law that they must offer assistance if they are the nearest boat.
I think that you need to be at your best with your best faculties to be able to handle sudden situations. It's not a big secret that alcohol dulls the senses and you tend to make over exxagerated moves, etc. etc. You see it demonstrated all the time.
The initial report was a single boat accident in which it appeared alcohol was involved. If the guy was drinking and operating the boat, all bets are off. I would be interested in seeing the final police report.
I am not sure about the law requiring you to offer assistance. I do know several people that have offered assistance and then been sued after the fact. Does that help? I think the good samaritan law was created to try and prevent people from suing those trying to render assistance. This does bring up alot of good questions.
I don't know anyone involved in the accident. But I have a deep adversion to people drinking and boating. I am always the designated driver and people can be assured that I will be at my best in getting them back to shore safely. I have zero tolerance for Azzclowns drinking and screwing up. Again, I do not know if this is the case, but initial reports from the press do not sound good for the guy. :idea:

MADDOG355
07-18-2007, 10:19 AM
The initial report was a single boat accident in which it appeared alcohol was involved. If the guy was drinking and operating the boat, all bets are off. I would be interested in seeing the final police report.
Me too.
I do not know the laws there but I was thinking Boat Cop had said it was a law in another thread.
As for the drinking, That most likely came from seeing the empty cans at the scene, His boat + empty beer cans= he was drinking.
I would think that if they had confirmed he was drinking we would have heard something by now.

RiverDave
07-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Not 100% sure, but I've always been told that failing to render aid is a crime. Point in fact I'm pretty sure it is, as I've heard of someone being convicted for failing to render aid.
RD

riverbound
07-18-2007, 11:07 AM
empty beer cans doesnt necesarily mean that the operator was drunk. I know there are some empty cans in the gunnels (sp?) of my boat and it hasnt been in the water in 4 months. I also am almost always the DD when my boat is in the water and just becuase everyone else was drinking doesnt mean the driver was. I have at many times set up a trash bag on the side of my boat for people to put their empties in there, in the event I was in a wreck all those empties would be at the scene.:idea:

Boatcop
07-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Me too.
I do not know the laws there but I was thinking Boat Cop had said it was a law in another thread.
As for the drinking, That most likely came from seeing the empty cans at the scene, His boat + empty beer cans= he was drinking.
I would think that if they had confirmed he was drinking we would have heard something by now.
Arizona Law and Federal Regulations state that the operator of a vessel "involved in a collision, accident or other casualty shall, to the extent the operator can do so without serious danger to the operator's own watercraft or persons aboard, render all practical and necessary assistance to persons affected to save them from danger caused by the collision, accident or casualty."
Involvement doesn't necessarily mean that they must have collided with the other boat. Just that their boat played some part in the incident. If another boat had to take evasive action to avoid a collision, and a casualty occurred, than the boat WAS involved and required to render aid under the law.
Arizona Law doesn't address a non-involved vessel rendering aid, but Federal Navigation Rules state:
2304 Duty to provide assistance at sea
1. A master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master's or individual's vessel or individuals on board.
2. A master or individual violating this section shall be fined not more than $1,000, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.
It wouldn't be the first time a State Investigation was turned over to the Feds, due to a lack of legal application under State Laws.
I'm not saying that another boat had anything to do with this particular incident, and have absolutely no "inside" knowledge of the crash. All I know is what everybody else has read. I'm only stating what laws and regulations apply regarding vessel accidents.
As far as if they know whether the operator was impaired, we usually take blood in situations like this. I presume other Agencies do too. Those results routinely take several weeks to come back from the lab. Longer if they also requested a drug screen.

skibender
07-18-2007, 08:54 PM
" Segments of all the articles pertaining to the boating accident are incorrect. Two boats were traveling towards the Awesome boat. The driver turned to the right to avoid a collision. The nearest oncoming boat turned left into the Awesome boat, causing Bernie to continue to steer to the right. The Mojave County Sheriff's dept are not releasing any information while under this accident is under investigation. I don't know where the Havasu News-Herald is getting their information, but the area was not congested. The families involved in the accident needs the community's help in locating the boat responsible for this accident and leaving the scene of the accident. Please contact Deputy Darland, if you saw a white V hull, with red striping & a bird head, and front docking lights. " This pretty well explains the circumstances about the accident. Please let us know in this thread if you can help.

Marty Gras
07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I think that you need to be at your best with your best faculties to be able to handle sudden situations. It's not a big secret that alcohol dulls the senses and you tend to make over exxagerated moves, etc. etc. You see it demonstrated all the time.
I am not sure about the law requiring you to offer assistance. I do know several people that have offered assistance and then been sued after the fact. Does that help? I think the good samaritan law was created to try and prevent people from suing those trying to render assistance. This does bring up alot of good questions.
I don't know anyone involved in the accident. But I have a deep adversion to people drinking and boating. I am always the designated driver and people can be assured that I will be at my best in getting them back to shore safely. I have zero tolerance for Azzclowns drinking and screwing up. Again, I do not know if this is the case, but initial reports from the press do not sound good for the guy. :idea:
What about AZZCLOWNS NOT DRINKING AND SCREWING UP??? "Initial reports from the local press", are rarely accurate! Most all boating or vehicular accidents are reported in the local paper, with "alcohol may have been a factor" as an unqualified "personal editor's comment"!!! By the way, "when at your best" while operating a powerboat, you NEVER LET YOURSELF GET INTO A SUDDEN SITUATION! If you know what you are doing, YOU PLAN AHEAD WHILE DRIVING! Unless your BEST is not very good!

dicudmore
07-18-2007, 10:09 PM
What about AZZCLOWNS NOT DRINKING AND SCREWING UP??? "Initial reports from the local press", are rarely accurate! Most all boating or vehicular accidents are reported in the local paper, with "alcohol may have been a factor" as an unqualified "personal editor's comment"!!! By the way, "when at your best" while operating a powerboat, you NEVER LET YOURSELF GET INTO A SUDDEN SITUATION! If you know what you are doing, YOU PLAN AHEAD WHILE DRIVING! Unless your BEST is not very good!
I agree with the TRY to plan ahead part, but if you think sudden situations never happen then you have obviously not spent much time at the sticks of a 100MPH boat...the other side of that, it probably wasn't a good idea to be running hard in that part of the lake on that afternoon...I was in the area shortly after the accident, not exactly ideal speed run conditions :wink:
That accident could have been any of us, doesn't take a very big mistake for something like that to happen...even Scism and JT have crashed boats in their day :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
07-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I keep remembering something that I learned in Sunday
School as a child about "he without sin casting the first
stone" at the sinner.
Extemely unfortunate for all involved regardless of what
caused it. I cannot think of anyone that hasn't driven a
car or boat with a couple under their belt. Hopefully, we'll
all learn from this.
I must say that in the future, I hope that we'll all step up
and put our big brother arm around our friends and ask
for their keys if we can see that they're not fit to drive.
Maybe if we had been doing this all along instead of
worrying about what they might think, there might be
less accidents on our lake.
What a shame. Loss of someone's life, the loss of their
life to their loved ones, the mental anquish to all involved,
the loss of a nice boat, the lawsuits that may come, the
possible legal actions.
As a boating community, we should find a way to allow
this tragic event to motivate us all to do better. I hope
that the accusations are incorrect, I've always liked and
respected Bernie.
Keith Sayre

Big Warlock
07-23-2007, 09:55 AM
" Segments of all the articles pertaining to the boating accident are incorrect. Two boats were traveling towards the Awesome boat. The driver turned to the right to avoid a collision. The nearest oncoming boat turned left into the Awesome boat, causing Bernie to continue to steer to the right. The Mojave County Sheriff's dept are not releasing any information while under this accident is under investigation. I don't know where the Havasu News-Herald is getting their information, but the area was not congested. The families involved in the accident needs the community's help in locating the boat responsible for this accident and leaving the scene of the accident. Please contact Deputy Darland, if you saw a white V hull, with red striping & a bird head, and front docking lights. " This pretty well explains the circumstances about the accident. Please let us know in this thread if you can help.
So you know for a fact that alcohol was not being consumed by the driver of the boat that was destroyed? Just for clarification. Thanks

Big Warlock
07-23-2007, 09:55 AM
No problem with any of that. Not sure who you were directing that to?

Big Warlock
07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree with the TRY to plan ahead part, but if you think sudden situations never happen then you have obviously not spent much time at the sticks of a 100MPH boat...the other side of that, it probably wasn't a good idea to be running hard in that part of the lake on that afternoon...I was in the area shortly after the accident, not exactly ideal speed run conditions :wink:
That accident could have been any of us, doesn't take a very big mistake for something like that to happen...even Scism and JT have crashed boats in their day :wink:
Agreed.

Big Warlock
07-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I keep remembering something that I learned in Sunday
School as a child about "he without sin casting the first
stone" at the sinner.
Extemely unfortunate for all involved regardless of what
caused it. I cannot think of anyone that hasn't driven a
car or boat with a couple under their belt. Hopefully, we'll
all learn from this.
I must say that in the future, I hope that we'll all step up
and put our big brother arm around our friends and ask
for their keys if we can see that they're not fit to drive.
Maybe if we had been doing this all along instead of
worrying about what they might think, there might be
less accidents on our lake.
What a shame. Loss of someone's life, the loss of their
life to their loved ones, the mental anquish to all involved,
the loss of a nice boat, the lawsuits that may come, the
possible legal actions.
As a boating community, we should find a way to allow
this tragic event to motivate us all to do better. I hope
that the accusations are incorrect, I've always liked and
respected Bernie.
Keith Sayre
Although I have committed sin (and not just in my heart) you will not find me behind the wheel of a boat with any alcohol in my body. And that's for a bunch of reasons not needed for discussion here.
Now I have been know to operate a bicycle impaired recently. Kind of accidental. But I did not go over 5mph, if that counts. And I do enjoy a great bottle of wine or glass or two of scotch.

Classic Daycruiser
07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Two boats were racing each other (probably so they would beat the huge wake generated from the Awesomes wake). Speeds were close to wide open throttle. The two boats racing mis communicated with each other, and the race turned into a game of chicken. I suspect they are looking for the other boat in the race.
I'm sure someone has a lot of video. It does not have to be of the crash....it could be of earlier in the day or weekend. Maybe you have some old photos. I would think a reward for info would pull a few folks out of the crowd. I bet that boats been on Havasu/Mohave a few times.:idea:

RiverDave
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Two boats were racing each other (probably so they would beat the huge wake generated from the Awesomes wake). Speeds were close to wide open throttle. The two boats racing mis communicated with each other, and the race turned into a game of chicken. I suspect they are looking for the other boat in the race.
I'm sure someone has a lot of video. It does not have to be of the crash....it could be of earlier in the day or weekend. Maybe you have some old photos. I would think a reward for info would pull a few folks out of the crowd. I bet that boats been on Havasu/Mohave a few times.:idea:
Does that make any sense to anyone?
They were racing each other to beat a wake? (WTF # 1) Then they were heading straight at each other (racing? WTF #2) Then it turned into a game of chicken? (WTF # 3?)
What are you talking about?
RD

Classic Daycruiser
07-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Does that make any sense to anyone?
They were racing each other to beat a wake? (WTF # 1) Then they were heading straight at each other (racing? WTF #2) Then it turned into a game of chicken? (WTF # 3?)
What are you talking about?
RD
:D :D :D well does it??? .....anyone:idea:

topless
07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm going with no.You're so negative lately.:eek:

Marty Gras
07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I didn't want things to get out of control, but they seem to have gone in that direction anyway. I have not heard any factual news on this accident and if some of you others have, please state so! I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to calm things down, we don't really know what happened and "speculation, exclamation, and guesses" should not rule the day! If any of you know the TRUE FACTS about this accident, please state them and your sources. I for one hope/pray/believe that it "was an accident" and that no one person is at fault. As for "Mr Dicumore", please reconsider your "unqualified statements" about, "not being at the sticks of a 100MPH boat"! You don't even know who I am, but I do know that YOU just got out of a Cheetah boat and got into a boat that has "some speed". You may have "many hours" at the helm of your new boat, but please don't think that the rest of us are "rookies" at speeds above 100MPH! The problem that I see is that many foolish accidents happen at much lower speeds and most of us would not even see those speeds as an accident problem. I pray that we all can have a safe time on the lake/river, but in the mean time I'll be looking out for guys like "Mr Dicumore" who seem to think that, "that accident could have happened to any of us", NO just guys who are way out of there level, like you "Mr Dicumore"! There are fast boat drivers and there are showoffs, can you tell the difference?

Marty Gras
07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I didn't want things to get out of control, but they seem to have gone in that direction anyway. I have not heard any factual news on this accident and if some of you others have, please state so! I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to calm things down, we don't really know what happened and "speculation, exclamation, and guesses" should not rule the day! If any of you know the TRUE FACTS about this accident, please state them and your sources. I for one hope/pray/believe that it "was an accident" and that no one person is at fault. As for "Mr Dicumore", please reconsider your "unqualified statements" about, "not being at the sticks of a 100MPH boat"! You don't even know who I am, but I do know that YOU just got out of a Cheetah boat and got into a boat that has "some speed". You may have "many hours" at the helm of your new boat, but please don't think that the rest of us are "rookies" at speeds above 100MPH! The problem that I see is that many foolish accidents happen at much lower speeds and most of us would not even see those speeds as an accident problem. I pray that we all can have a safe time on the lake/river, but in the mean time I'll be looking out for guys like "Mr Dicumore" who seem to think that, "that accident could have happened to any of us", NO just guys who are way out of there level, like you "Mr Dicumore"! There are fast boat drivers and there are showoffs, can you tell the difference?

dicudmore
07-23-2007, 09:33 PM
dude, that is Mr dicudmore...
just guys that are way out of their level?? PLEASE--accidents happen in offshore racing and hydroplanes pretty often, and I would venture to guess that "those" guys have some experience :wink: ya understand what I was trying to say now? If you're looking for me to be the lake show-off, sorry you got the wrong guy...obviously you know where I live, and having a Cheetah parked at my house doesn't mean that I own it :wink:

vmjtc3
07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Where to start? First off if you are trying to "calm things down", no need for bashing someone who is aware of the FACT that no matter how careful you are bad things can and do happen. Hopefully I don't run across you on the water as I don't want to be around anyone who thinks accidents only happen to people who are " way out of there level" ! Consider things like mechanical failure! I pray an accident happens to no one but, with an attitude like yours you may just be the next cause, or victim. While you are busy operating with in your skill level thinking it cant happen to me , it just might. ;)

Seadog
07-24-2007, 06:20 AM
A long time ago, I was taking one of those 'how good of a driver are you' type questionaires. The whole premise was how to react to sudden accident situations. I did just fine until there was one situation that I had no solution for. The answer to that problem was that there was no answer. There are times when you have no recourse. You can make every good decision in every situation and it still may not save you when something happens that is not forseeable.
You can also be assurred that most reporting of things like this are full of half-truths and garbage. I just read last night an old article in a major publication about what a 4th rate airpower Japan was. This was just a few months before Pearl Harbor.

Marty Gras
07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Well it seems like all of you "experts" have told me that "accidents are going to happen" no matter what any of us do to try and prevent them. You guys compare racing and accidents to "lake boating" accidents, as if they were of equal risk? How foolish and simple minded you seem to be. If you choose to boat when conditions are dangerous, yes accidents will/may happen. If you choose to boat when conditions are more favorable, then "traffic accidents" are not the outstanding problem, but mechanical problems are. I then ask, who is responcable for the mechanical condition of your boat? Your repair shop, or you? Who is the captain when the boat goes to sea? Who is the "master" of the vessel and it's passengers? "no matter what you do, bad things can and do happen". OK risk experts! what boats, what planes, what cars, will crash today? "It's going to happen!" I now know why it's dangerous on this lake, IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN! And I heard it from the "experts". Do you guys actually tell your passengers and the boats around you; "well something might break while we are going 135MPH". "But you know it's going to happen, sooner or later". How sad for you! "Hey, State Farm, Sheriffs, EMT's, it's going to happen!"

Bite the Bullet
07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
they are not intentional... this is not a sanctioned race...no one should ever die...everyone boating should have an expectation to arrive safely home after a day of fun! No one "intends" to cause an accident when they go boating. However, ask anyone from law enforcement who investigates vehicular or boat accidents and they will tell you there is always a cause. If your operating a boat at 125 MPH and experience a drive failure that results in an accident...the cause from a LE perspective will not be equipment failure. The cause would be excessive speed or something undefined as OID (other improper driving). Why you ask...because if the equipment failure had occurred at a much lower speed...the driver would/should have been able to better control the boat. BS you say...Monday morning quarterbacking you say...hindsight you say! Try taking your equipment failure excuse to the roadways and see if it flys. The rules for boating are very similar to the rules for driving a motor vehicle. The imaginary line that divides a waterway dictates travel in the same manner as a broken line on a highway does. The distance from that line changes as the river/lake increases or decreases in size and the resposibilities of a boat driver on these conjested waterways is enormous. Passing, turning approaching must be accomplished with caution. On waterways, a boat overtaking another has huge responsibilities and must slow down and use caution when passing.
It's amazing how many people drive to the lake on I-40 with their precious cargo and would never endanger their family and others by excessive speeding, following to close, unsafe passing or consuming alcohol. Yet when they arrive at the lake, put those same people in a fast boat, throw in a little alcohol, and basic rules and common sense are history! On the highways we have all been taught to drive defensively...maybe if everyone applied defensive driving to the waterways as well...there would be no thread...

That Guy
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I was wondering the other day whatever happened with this....? Anyone have information?