PDA

View Full Version : Straight snoot

jbone
07-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Does anyone have one I can try.
My boat is a 21 ft open bow. I have the Dominator 12-S pump with the inducer, shoe, rideplate, AT Droop, and hyd diverter.
I think the droop is puching my back down too much. Especially when loaded down and heavy. I drags so much, the steering is very hard.
I was hoping to borrow a straight snoot before buying one. I'll pay shipping.
Also, any comments from peeps that tried the straight snoot in a heavy boat application?
I must allow the steering nozzle to fit inside the snoot.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/misc_199.jpg
Thanks,
J

PLACECRAFT20
07-16-2007, 11:58 AM
I tried the droop the short snoot and the long snoot on my 20' Placecraft. The long snoot had the fastest MPH. The droop made the boat feel lighter but was not quite as fast by about 2 MPH. I dont have any steering problems. It was a little tighter at first but it loosened up after a couple of runs.
Here are a couple of pics.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/252DROOP2.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/boatpics_042.jpg
I would let you borrow it but the boat is for sale.

jbone
07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I called Duane today and I bit the bullet. I am getting the staight snoot with 4 deg up pin angle.
We'll give that a shot. He'll let me exchange it for what ever he has if for some reason this one does not work.
I'm not sure if it is the long or short. I think he is just making one now.
If it works, I'll be selling my AT droop. It has the inside water divider thing removed.
J

SB
07-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't understand what good a straight snoot would do?

Jetdriver
07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't understand what good a straight snoot would do?
More leverage!

IMPATIENT 1
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, I called Duane today and I bit the bullet. I am getting the staight snoot with 4 deg up pin angle.
We'll give that a shot. He'll let me exchange it for what ever he has if for some reason this one does not work.
I'm not sure if it is the long or short. I think he is just making one now.
If it works, I'll be selling my AT droop. It has the inside water divider thing removed.
J
pm me a price on your ole droop, my uncle is needing 1.thanx tom e.

Sanger Jet
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Mine shoots on hell of a tail
How do I upload pictures so they are open? Upload from a Url?

PLACECRAFT20
07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Mine does too. Here is your pic.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35130&d=1184791826

W.O.T
07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I like the way my droop looks but it did make my boat porpoise a little more around mid throttle cruising. I think i might be looking at a straight snoot in the future. At least I would like to try one out. Let me know how it works for you J bone

jbone
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I will post some results when it is on.
Impatient, I'll send you a pm.
J

wmitchell
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Jbone, make sure you post your results... I'm interested to see what it does for you, can't see it being a bad thing

455Rocket
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
I think the droop is puching my back down too much. Especially when loaded down and heavy. I drags so much, the steering is very hard.
Wouldn't the opposite be true? Have you tried different settings on the diverter with a load? Steering cable going bad?

jbone
07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't the opposite be true? Have you tried different settings on the diverter with a load? Steering cable going bad?
Okay, wrong choice of words.
I think with a heavy load, the droop causes the steering nozzel to sit too low in the water and it drags.
If I trim up, the porpoise comes. If I trim down, the porpoise goes away, but the boat is very wet and hard to steer.
As far as the cable going bad, that is exactly what it feels like, but it is new and the feeling goes away when I unload the boat and go for a run.
I'll let you guys know what happens with the straight snoot.
J

Rondane
07-18-2007, 07:30 PM
More leverage!
a droop doesnt give you the same leverage if not more? It gives you leverage AND lifts the whole boat from front to back.
rondane

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
a droop doesnt give you the same leverage if not more? It gives you leverage AND lifts the whole boat from front to back.
rondane
very true! Good post Ron;)

Squirtcha?
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I've used both a Place Diverter droop and the straight snoot. Both worked, but the straight snoot worked better.
Both also required some tuning for optimum performance. Wedging, shoe shimming, ride plate adjustments
I ended up with a consistent 2.5 mph gain with the straight snoot over the Place Diverter unit. Obviously can't say
about any other type of hull or droop as I haven't had experience with anything but my own.
Will it work on your boat??? Dunno, can't say for sure. One thing I can tell you though.............you can't just bolt
it on and expect results. You have to be willing to change things up and make some adjustments. When I first bolted
my straight snoot on it was a no gainer. No loss, but no gain either. After following the manufacturers advice the
gains followed.
In fact I'll go one step further. If you haven't exhausted all possible tuning scenarios with your current droop, you
really owe it to yourself to make some changes and try everything. Wedge up and increase your rideplate angle
if your boat is running wet. I used to take mine up to the point where it would start a porpoise, then back it off a
couple degrees.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/stiffners.jpg
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/5.5_degrees.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
I will post some results when it is on.
Impatient, I'll send you a pm.
J
rondane
Yo Ron, Isnt this what you have been looking for???:idea:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I've used both a Place Diverter droop and the straight snoot. Both worked, but the straight snoot worked better.
Both also required some tuning for optimum performance. Wedging, shoe shimming, ride plate adjustments
I ended up with a consisten 2.5 mph gain with the straight snoot over the Place Diverter unit. Obviously can't say
about any other type of hull or droop as I haven't had experience with anything but my own.
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/files/stiffners.jpg
http://www.homestead.com/jetboat/5.5_degrees.jpg
Hey Dan. So when are ya going to let a brotha try that snoot?

Squirtcha?
07-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey Dan. So when are ya going to let a brotha try that snoot?
I don't know Mike. When I bought the snoot it had a sticker on it that said "Not to be used on Gullwing type hulls".:idea:JK
How you getting along Mike? That collision was a bummer deal man.

beerjet
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I went out to the avi this past weekend in my 21' Hallett daycruiser . Before it only had a JC pump in it , and it ran real good . I bought a diverter for it and put a berk droop on it as well . Now it it porpoises like a muther fuker from the mid to upper RPM range . The boat also has fixed cav plates and I didnt even bother to try any adjustment . As far as I'm concerned , I made too many changes . Luckily I know where I started from and I'm gonna backtrack and do one step at a time . I also want to try the straight snoot when I get to that point in testing just for shits and giggles . I dont feel my very stock motor pushing through a droop benefited my boat .
-beerjet-

Legal Chemistry
07-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I've been following this thread hoping for some insight, maybe someone here has info or experience for my situation. My barge is 24', Dom S w/PD that spins a "A" ~4900rpm in the low 50's. Would a droop or snoot help? Some say there is just too much boat and not enough power. The way it is now, if I trim it up it tend to porpoise at bit w/chop, it settles down one I lower the trim though. Will this make the problem worse? If anyone has experience with jets this size I'd really appreciate some input! Thanks
LC

455Rocket
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I've been following this thread hoping for some insight, maybe someone here has info or experience for my situation. My barge is 24', Dom S w/PD that spins a "A" ~4900rpm in the low 50's. Would a droop or snoot help? Some say there is just too much boat and not enough power. The way it is now, if I trim it up it tend to porpoise at bit w/chop, it settles down one I lower the trim though. Will this make the problem worse? If anyone has experience with jets this size I'd really appreciate some input! Thanks
LC
None of us guys with these heavy crusers can expect ANYTHING from droops. There's too much boat and not enough HP. It may work wonders for these hulls that wight 1000 LBS or less, but we're in the 3000 LB range!

Legal Chemistry
07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
but we're in the 3000 LB range!
uh... 4,000# range!

455Rocket
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
uh... 4,000# range!
Case in point! :D