PDA

View Full Version : Observing the oblivious.

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I had to wait for one of the kids yesterday, so i sent the Mrs. out with a boatload to, "our beach" while I hung out in the shade near the ramp.
It was depressing; confirming my suspicions that we are being overrun by buffoons, even up here in the hills. It was extremely sad.
I ain't gonna name the lake, just throw out some thoughts.
-Having a bad-boy lifted truck with 4 grand worth of wheels and tires and a booming stereo pounding on the ramp isn't going to help you, or attract others to help you when the cheap-arse mismatched, bias ply weather checked tires on the trailer under your 60k boat explode as you are hauling the boat out, in preparation for your 75 mile trip home.
Get some good tires on you trailer. Get a spare.
Carry some basic tools. A lug wrench (that fits) and a jack would be a good start, I'd suggest a little practice using them at home.
-The courtesy dock is for quick loading and unloading of folks, not for stacking huge piles of camping gear, and taking up both sides of the dock for half an hour.
-Nothing in the world makes people with trailers more angry than some moron without a trailer pulling right to the bottom of a ramp, taking up the turn-around area and a recovery lane while all the inbred, overweight, kids climb into the 78 Dodge k-car wagon, arguing about who pooped his or her pants, while the toothless pair responsible for creating them are yelling at each other as they are trying to find their cigarettes
-Three lane boat ramps are designed so three boats can be recovered or launched at any given time, extra lanes are not provided so one or two clowns can take up residnecy in the other two, waiting until the boat is touching the water to put up the bimini, take the straps off the transom, load the ice chests, or do any of the above in reverse when pulling out. The launch/recovery lane isn't a wipe down zone either. That area is labled "PREP ZONE". It is over by the parking area.
-The courtesy dock is not for people to sit in their chairs and fish from. Nor is it a staging area for three canoes full of unsupervised screaming kids to purposely swamp their vessels, placing them, the canoes, and all the boats in the area at risk. if you have children at/near the lake and water, supervise them. If you don't want to do that, do us all a favor and stay home or go to the municipal pool back in your hometown where you can lay the responsibility for your children on some unfortunate lifeguard. Or, better yet, buy yourself one of those cool pools over at at K-Mart.
-If you must bring your canine friend to the lake with you, please keep it under control. Please be prepared to clean up after it.
-If you are new at traileriing, launching, or recovering, be humble and ask for help, and try not to perform these acts during peak hours. You might even want to practice backing up in a quiet parking lot someplace beside the ramp. This will mitigate the impact dragging your stern drive, swamping your truck, etc. has on the rest of us.
-If you have a boat, and are bringing friends, educate one or more of them in the skills necessary to assit with backing, towing, loading, or launching. If they can't/won't help you, and they are going to sit in your boat blocking the ramp and the dock while you try to do everything, take the key so the rest of us don't have to listen to your boat stereo pounding while you try to do everything, and while your friends are busy looking cool, and we are unable to hear as we are trying to load/unload.
-A few very basic simple rule for folks, even the most oblivious, ignorant, self-centered attention starved types might go something like this.
"While you may feel as if you own the world, and are in control of the speed by which it rotates, there will be an infrequent situation where it might be in your best interest to wake the heck up, look around you, and consider the fact that even if you did own it, the rest of us who call the planet home are not the least bit interested in how cool you think you are. A safe bet for you would be to take your cool quotion, divide it by two, and re-evaluate yourself at 15% of that. That number is what the rest of us; those beyond your nose, the other creatures you see moving around in front of you think of you... on a good day.
If large numbers of people are staring at you, and you are taking up space, consider the fact that the space you are in might be one that SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO USE!
Today was a great lesson in one of the undeniable truths of life.
"You can't fix stupid"
Stupid is reaching epidemic levels.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM
I had to wait for one of the kids yesterday, so i sent the Mrs. out with a boatload to, "our beach" while I hung out in the shade near the ramp.
It was depressing; confirming my suspicions that we are being overrun by buffoons, even up here in the hills. It was extremely sad.
-Having a bad-boy lifted truck with 4 grand worth of wheels and tires and a booming stereo pounding on the ramp isn't going to help you, or attract others to help you when the cheap-arse mismatched, bias ply weather checked tires on the trailer under your 60k boat explode as you are hauling the boat out, in preparation for your 75 mile trip home.
Carry some basic tools. A lug wrench (that fits) and a jack would be a good start, I'd suggest a little practice using them at home.
-The courtesy dock is for quick loading and unloading of folks, not for stacking huge piles of camping gear, and taking up both sides of the dock for half an hour.
-Nothing in the world makes people with trailers more angry than some moron without a trailer pulling right to the bottom of a ramp, taking up the turn-around area and a recovery lane while all the inbred, overweight, kids climb into the 78 Dodge k-car wagon, arguing about who pooped his or her pants, while the toothless pair responsible for creating them are yelling at each other as they are trying to find their cigarettes
-Three lane boat ramps are designed so three boats can be recovered or launched at any given time, extra lanes are not provided so one or two clowns can take up residnecy in the other two, waiting until the boat is touching the water to put up the bimini, take the straps off the transom, load the ice chests, or do any of the above in reverse when pulling out. The launch/recovery lane isn't a wipe down zone either. That area is labled "PREP ZONE". It is over by the parking area.
-The courtesy dock is not for people to sit in their chairs and fish from. Nor is it a staging area for three canoes full of unsupervised screaming kids to purposely swamp their vessels, placing them, the canoes, and all the boats in the area at risk. if you have children at/near the lake and water, supervise them. If you don't want to do that, do us all a favor and stay home or go to the municipal pool back in your hometown where you can lay the responsibility for your children on some unfortunate lifeguard. Or, better yet, buy yourself one of those cool pools over at at K-Mart.
-If you must bring your canine friend to the lake with you, please keep it under control. Please be prepared to clean up after it.
-If you are new at traileriing, launching, or recovering, be humble and ask for help, and try not to perform these acts during peak hours. You might even want to practice backing up in a quiet parking lot someplace beside the ramp. This will mitigate the impact dragging your stern drive, swamping your truck, etc. has on the rest of us.
-If you have a boat, and are bringing friends, educate one or more of them in the skills necessary to assit with backing, towing, loading, or launching. If they can't/won't help you, and they are going to sit in your boat blocking the ramp and the dock while you try to do everything, take the key so the rest of us don't have to listen to your boat stereo pounding while you try to do everything, and while your friends are busy looking cool, and we are unable to hear as we are trying to load/unload.
-A few very basic simple rule for folks, even the most oblivious, ignorant, self-centered attention starved types might go something like this.
"While you may feel as if you own the world, and are in control of the speed by which it rotates, there will be an infrequent situation where it might be in your best interest to wake the heck up, look around you, and consider the fact that even if you did own it, the rest of us who call the planet home are not the least bit interested in how cool you think you are. A safe bet for you would be to take your cool quotion, divide it by two, and re-evaluate yourself at 15% of that. That number is what the rest of us; those beyond your nose, the other creatures you see moving around in front of you think of you... on a good day.
If large numbers of people are staring at you, and you are taking up space, consider the fact that the space you are in might be one that SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO USE!
"You can't fix stupid"
Very Well Said
:D

MKEELINE
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Amen brother!
You don't even need to name the lake, it's any given lake on any given weekend. It's my firm belief that half of all boaters are retarded.

Ziggy
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Its an epidemic.........

Mandelon
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Bravo!

Her454
07-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Very Well Said
AS ALWAYS..........:D

Jbb
07-16-2007, 12:13 PM
"You can't fix stupid"
Aaahh......I see you have met Kim Hanson....:p

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
AS ALWAYS..........:D
I love his post..
How ya doin toots.. :D :devil: :D

HavasuDreamin'
07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
That right there is F'n hilarious. :D

Her454
07-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I love his post..
How ya doin toots.. :D :devil: :D
Yes me too, Jeff always has a very unique way of "telling it like it is" LOL.
I've been great, been busy camping and starting to put in a Coi Pond in the backyard. Lots of damn work!:eek:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes me too, Jeff always has a very unique way of "telling it like it is" LOL.
I've been great, been busy camping and starting to put in a Coi Pond in the backyard. Lots of damn work!:eek:
wish I was closer I would come help with some Jello shots..:D

I'mTheBeaver
07-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Hallelujah for expressing our sentiments!!
We had a day like this yesterday and [insert what Flyinbowtie so eloquently outlined here].
THANK YOU!!

Water Romper
07-16-2007, 01:08 PM
As I read your "Oh so true" thread, I can’t help but think of the other threads posted along the same line..:mad:
Trash
Lake Lice
Morons at the ramps and in the water
Ignorant, rude people
Unfortunately, the people who are referred to in these threads most likely do not read these posts…as a matter of fact, I doubt they read anything.
Education of these idiots would be key however how do you teach a moron ?:sqeyes:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
I think a CB radio with a huge speaker under the truck telling them in front of all the people waiting might work.. But then again they probably wouldn't care..

MR.rvrluvr
07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
crazy? yes
but very entertaining to watch....:)

I'mTheBeaver
07-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I thought a reality show broadcasting these humorous events would be fun. They might actually watch that.

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2007, 01:50 PM
I want the gig narrating the reality show.
I spent my entire career pissing people off without discriminating...
All kidding aside, it is good to know that I am not alone in my distaste and general embarrassment over the rapid decline of the human race. I was a professional people watcher/evaluator for so long that it is now second nature and, as a general rule, I regularly piss my wife off by commenting on it, so I have come here, to the ***boat Psychotherapy Dept. to clear my mind.
Traci and Mrs. V, Jello shots and building a Koi Pond,...I think that would be sorta fun to watch. The fish might not think so, but what the hell, they're just fish, right? At least they don't drive K-Car station wagons with fake wood on the side and teach their offspring habits inconsitent with life, right?
T, remember that pond Cindy has down in the garden? Those little cheapo feeder .98 cent goldfish are now about 4-8 inches long, they sorta hibernate all winter, and are pretty hearty, only one floater that I recall in five years.
AS a matter of fact, why don't you call her tonight, talk about it, and see if we can't figure out SOME way of getting together before winter rolls around again...:)

justfloatn
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
A safe bet for you would be to take your cool quotion, divide it by two, and re-evaluate yourself at 15% of that. That number is what the rest of us; those beyond your nose, the other creatures you see moving around in front of you think of you... on a good day.
CLASSIC!
D :D Does this mean if I get a full sleeve tattoo, wear my hat like Jesse James and put 26" rims on my truck I won't be cool:confused:
Dammit, I so want to be hard core cool guy:D

Sherpa
07-16-2007, 02:09 PM
ah, the good ole boat ramp show.... gotta love it.....
one of my last memorable trips to the ramp at shasta went like this:
3 lane ramp, one guy almost taking up center line for 2 lanes.
other truck in his lane, minding his own biz, but taking forever....
my wifey patiently waiting in the boat 200 yards offshore. me at top of
ramp...
I decide I'm tired of waiting, and start backing the f-250 with 11.5' cabover
down the ramp at about 15 mph... I'm shooting for the space between
the dipshit taking 2 lanes and the dock...
at about 15-20mph backwards, I nail my spot within inches of dudes feet
while he's messing with his spawn, toothless wife, and 400 truck.
he's white from being scarred I got sooo close, came down soo quick, and
nailed my spot.
I get out and he starts up on me.....
when he's done, I come back with: my wife's already got the boat on the
trailer while you've been down here taking 2 lanes for 20 minutes. time to
shut your pie hole before I release the brake on your 400 truck, and watch
your life savings sink on the ramp... have a nice day asshole, by the way,
your wife is a skank.........
--Sherpa
the guy was speechless........ he easily could have most likely killed me,
but I was "in the zone"....
--S

fatboy95
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Good thing the lake name was withheld because it is Lake Everywhere. If I were a divorce attorney I would park on the ramps beginning a noon on Sundays and hand out business cards. If I were an MD I would open a mobile spay and neuter clinic at the ramp and try to help future boaters avoid what you just experienced. The K car loaded with fat, inbred little mucus machines yelling and screaming really is a classic.

Donttreadonme
07-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Very Well Said
To bad he didn't say any of it, he only read it, and then cut and paste it....
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/475829.html?1184624083
check the time stamps...

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
check the time stamps...
do you know that for a fact.. He is an army Dad.. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
check the time stamps...
I've never met FlyinBowtie but from his posts on here I know that he was in law enforcement and has since retired and has a son in the miliatry. By clicking on the link you provided and then clicking on the Profile of the person that posted it in that thread you are presented with, what a coincedence, a profile indicating the person is retired LEO, lives in Nor Cal and based on his screen name has a son in the military. Looks like the same person to me.....

spectras only
07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I gave up commenting on ramp etiquette decades ago , cause my wife would call me a grumpy old crusty curmudgeon , who just can't get along with all the other fools at the lunch ramp , instead I should be enjoying myself being outdoors :) :D .

Donttreadonme
07-16-2007, 02:27 PM
do you know that for a fact.. He is an army Dad.. :)
Well lets see:
He has the same profile picture that Army Dad has as his Avatar, they are both retired law enforcement officers, they both have Sangers, they both live in CA, they are both 47, they both have the same email address too. I think that's enough said.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Well lets see:
He has the same profile picture that Army Dad has as his Avatar, they are both retired law enforcement officers, they both have Sangers, they both live in CA, they are both 47, they both have the same email address too. I think that's enough said.
so what is it you are trying to say..
You say he didn't say any of it..
then you say they are one in the same..
what is your point?

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Jeez, lotsa detective work going on here...:D :D :D
I gave myself permission to post my thoughts on two different boards.
Thanks for lookin' out for me folks.
Army Dad-That's me...
Sam8- My old Call sign...
Flyinbowtie..A nickname I've been wearing for 10 years or more.
I will admit it, tho. I like the way this ArmyDad guy thinks...:)

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Jeez, lotsa detective work going on here...:D :D :D
Thanks for lookin' out for me folks.
Army Dad-That's me...
Sam8- My old Call sign...
Flyinbowtie..A nickname I've been wearing for 10 years or more.
I will admit it, tho. I like the way this ArmyDad guy thinks...:)
see I knew I knew you..
:D :D
I love when people eat crow.. but I'm not saying any names..:D

fatboy95
07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I gave up commenting on ramp etiquette decades ago , cause my wife would call me a grumpy old crusty curmudgeon , who just can't get along with all the other fools at the lunch ramp , instead I should be enjoying myself being outdoors :) :D .
sounds like you are married to my wife..........:jawdrop:

Havasu_Dreamin
GASP! HOW DARE YOU!?!?!?!?! LMAO :D

Flyinbowtie
Mrs Vee, I glad that you knew what you knew when you knew it...:D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Mrs Vee, I glad that you knew what you knew when you knew it...:D
LOL!! I have been talking to you too long not to know what you knew before you knew it.. Ya knew what I mean.. :D :D :D

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Whats wrong with being a grumpy old crusty curmudgeon?
I have coffee every morning with a bunch of busted-up retired cops.
We are called the GORB's. Grumpy Old Retired Bast..:D
I wear that label with pride...

spectras only
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
sounds like you are married to my wife..........:jawdrop:
:D :D :D
I prefer to live her home when we go boating , so I can vent a little sometimes :) :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I have coffee every morning with a bunch of busted-up retired cops.
We are called the GORB's. Grumpy Old Retired Bast..:D
I wear that label with pride...
yer not grumpy.. Just tired of dumb arses..:D

spectras only
07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I think she's the one becoming grumpy , but I can't tell her that :D .
I'll be leaving in 1/2 an hour taking her and her relatives from San Diego to a little boating trip , and hope I won't have to deal with any retards at the ramp :idea: :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:47 PM
I think she's the one becoming grumpy , but I can't tell her that :D .
I'll be leaving in 1/2 an hour taking her and her relatives from San Diego to a little boating trip , and hope I won't have to deal with any retards at the ramp :idea: :)
if you do send the wife down.. :D :D :D

Flyinbowtie
07-16-2007, 02:50 PM
yer not grumpy.. Just tired of dumb arses..:D
Young Lady, that right there is an absolute undeniable fact. My wife is a an absolute angel for putting up with my shiznit over the years. She must love me, cause there really ain't no money in it, and I ain't much to look at, either.
Dumb arses...
They wasn't fun when I was gettin' paid to deal with 'em, and they sure as hell ain't fun now that there ain't no money in it. Sometimes, when feeling particularly grumpy, and somebody asks me what I did for a livin', I tell 'em I drove a street sweeper fer the county, pickin' up garbage. :)
Mt friends always go along with the gag, and it really isn't that far fom the truth.:rolleyes:

spectras only
07-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I'll take the camera with me just in case something interesting happens today .
This last saturday a body of a woman washed up at one of the local launch ramps :jawdrop: :(

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
check the time stamps...
Now what was it you were trying to say? :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Young Lady, that right there is an absolute undeniable fact. My wife is a an absolute angel for putting up with my shiznit over the years. She must love me, cause there really ain't no money in it, and I ain't much to look at, either.
Dumb arses...
They wasn't fun when I was gettin' paid to deal with 'em, and they sure as hell ain't fun now that there ain't no money in it. Sometimes, when feeling particularly grumpy, and somebody asks me what I did for a livin', I tell 'em I drove a street sweeper fer the county, pickin' up garbage. :)
Mt friends always go along with the gag, and it really isn't that far fom the truth.:rolleyes:
LOL!! you are a good man..don't change it..just go with the flow..:)

Water Romper
07-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I'll take the camera with me just in case something interesting happens today .
This last saturday a body of a woman washed up at one of the local launch ramps :jawdrop: :(
Yikes, I hope you were already out of the water...

Trailer Park Casanova
07-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Good takes FBT.
You described Castaic West ramp perfectly.
We carry the Gorilla lug wrench kit. Seems every lug nut is different from the rv to the boat trailer. Best 22 bux a person can spend.
We also carry a shovel to clean up after most others dogs at our campsite.
We have private ramp at EC. Rarely gets busy. But if it does,
it's almost edicate to offer to back a novice in that's having a tough time.
With the wife learning to back a trailer, we launch and retrieve when the ramp is zero activity.
A tandem axel trailer is the best tool to learn backing with BTW.

HighRoller
07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Good takes FBT.
You described Castaic West ramp perfectly.
We carry the Gorilla lug wrench kit. Seems every lug nut is different from the rv to the boat trailer. Best 22 bux a person can spend.
We also carry a shovel to clean up after most others dogs at our campsite.
We have private ramp at EC. Rarely gets busy. But if it does,
it's almost edicate to offer to back a novice in that's having a tough time.
With the wife learning to back a trailer, we launch and retrieve when the ramp is zero activity.
A tandem axel trailer is the best tool to learn backing with BTW.
For my money, a single axle Sea-Doo trailer is the best tool to learn backing. You almost can't turn fast enough to keep it straight and it teaches you to slow down and make small steering corrections more often instead of going lock to lock every 20 feet. If you can keep one of those straight you can back anything up. I'll refrain from commenting further since I do it for a living and I get more practice than most average boaters...USE YOUR MIRRORS. That's a plural, which means both of them. And use them a lot!

Her454
07-16-2007, 05:55 PM
My wife is a an absolute angel for putting up with my shiznit over the years.
Boy ain't the truth LOL. And that "Angel" and I got together and finally came up with a date hehhehehhe.

Ultrafied
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
For my money, a single axle Sea-Doo trailer is the best tool to learn backing. You almost can't turn fast enough to keep it straight and it teaches you to slow down and make small steering corrections more often instead of going lock to lock every 20 feet. If you can keep one of those straight you can back anything up. I'll refrain from commenting further since I do it for a living and I get more practice than most average boaters...USE YOUR MIRRORS. That's a plural, which means both of them. And use them a lot!
Actually, that's how my wife learned to back the boat. She would cuss and scream backing the Doo's down off the beach. Got in with the boat and said " Wow, this isn't bad at all ..... in comparison". Tough though on a ramp with people waiting.
Even so, I dont mind the new person trying and learning, maybe even taking the advice that's offered. It is the inconsiderates, the ones who $hit doesn't stink and the ones who who wonders why all of the people are in his/her world. They are the ones that frost my bacon. But still, a day on the ramp launching is better then a day working!:D