PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed on Buggie Engine.

FLATMVN
07-16-2007, 04:45 PM
I am considering buying a S&S Sandcar with a Turboed 4 Cyl ECHO TECH engine in it I would like to hear some oppinions about the engines good or bad. What is the reliability factor and anything else that I might need to know.
Thanks Louis

BiggusJimbus
07-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Do you mean "EcoTec"?
If so, might be a trick setup for a rail.
They are pumping that little motor hard.
Didn't Troy Trepanier use a variant of that block to build that '57 Chevy LSR car? building about 1100 HP in that little block.
Even if it is a lump of GM crap. :o :D :o :D :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

BiggusJimbus
07-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry, that was a '69 Barracuda (WAS being the case here )
And that was a Mopar Lump.
Damn facts, anyway.

pw_Tony
07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm sorry, that was a '69 Barracuda (WAS being the case here )
And that was a Mopar Lump.
Damn facts, anyway.
Psh.... damn son burnnn:devil:

duner21
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Have you considered a subaru? How heavy is the rail?

BiggusJimbus
07-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Psh.... damn son burnnn:devil:
I hate it when I have to burn myself.
The EcoTec IS though GM's hot little 4.
They are supposed to use it in, among other places, the Saturn Sky Redline built conservatively for about 250HP.
That ought to be fun.
And I have a '96 Chebby Suburban that proves that GM sucks (or at least sucked). It's a member of the part of the week club.
Last week, new door handle. THis week. New heater control valve.
Next week will bring exciting new work for me to do. :rolleyes:

pixilatedpussy
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I am considering buying a S&S Sandcar with a Turboed 4 Cyl ECHO TECH engine in it I would like to hear some oppinions about the engines good or bad. What is the reliability factor and anything else that I might need to know.
Thanks Louis
We love our Eco- Tech sand rail...feel free to call my husband tomorrow, (949)951-5265 His name is Geza, with any & all questions regarding it. He is the person to ask about technical stuff. ;)

wsuwrhr
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I would rather run a turbo subaru than an ecotec. Subie more expensive but in my opinion, a much better package.
Brian

Danhercules
07-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I am running a bigger motor. Northstar. I love it. great power but not too much. Dunes like a dream.
Cant go wrong with a VW either.

prkr247
07-17-2007, 06:43 AM
It all depends on the horsepower you are looking to achieve and how reliable you want that HP. We run Subaru's, very reliable, light cars. With the design, center of gravity is lower. Good luck with the decision. How much does the rail weigh, whats the length, etc. This will help you determine your motorpackage.

FLATMVN
07-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I would like to thank you all for you responses.
The specs on the rail I am not sure of, but guessing at them I would say that it is a 129" wheel base, weight is about 1500lbs giv or take. It is a 4 seater with a lot of room in it. It is a rear engine I was told that the engine is putting out 310 horsepower. I don't know if there are any upgrades to the motor other than just adding the turbo and boosting it up to make the extra HP.
I think what I am looking for is how reliable would this setup be. I am not looking to be the fastest one out there I would like to be able to climb some hills and have some fun and not have to work on it all the time.
This is a pic of the buggy I am looking at.
http://sssandcars.youngbiz.com/images/front_red.jpg
Louis

Pro Max
07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I had an eco-tec in my suspention car, and loved it. No issues at all period. Great motor. Mine was from turn-key

wsuwrhr
07-17-2007, 10:25 PM
You can't make anywhere near the power with a Subaru. I'm not sure about the expensive part either, there's some $20,000 ecotecs out there making 2000 hp.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Not sure what you're rolling your eyes about, I'm sure I could provide dyno slips. I assume you've heard of my boss, the first man to drive a funny car 300 mph. He knows a little about horsepower. ;)
I'm not sure this thread was about building the most expensive engine for a buggy.

79Challenger
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I would like to thank you all for you responses.
The specs on the rail I am not sure of, but guessing at them I would say that it is a 129" wheel base, weight is about 1500lbs giv or take. It is a 4 seater with a lot of room in it. It is a rear engine I was told that the engine is putting out 310 horsepower. I don't know if there are any upgrades to the motor other than just adding the turbo and boosting it up to make the extra HP.
I think what I am looking for is how reliable would this setup be. I am not looking to be the fastest one out there I would like to be able to climb some hills and have some fun and not have to work on it all the time.
This is a pic of the buggy I am looking at.
http://sssandcars.youngbiz.com/images/front_red.jpg
Louis
The turbo ECOTec or LSJ as they are known, is good for about 250-60 hp out of the box. They are currently used in the Saturn Sky Redline and the Pontiac Solstice GXP. There is a Supercharged version used in the Saturn Ion Redline and the Cobalt SS. This platforn is rated 205hp out of the box.
Having some experience with the Supercharged motors I can say they are very tough. With your turbo running about 310 hp, I might venture to say that the PCM has been retuned and thats it.
GM has a build book that takes this motor to around 900 hp. They also have "Stage" kits for these motors.
Granted the Subbi motor will start at 300 hp stock, thge LSJ is breaking the norm....
Thats why my wife drives a supercharged Saturn?!

Danhercules
07-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Finnaly got a pic uploaded.
I have a Northstar. Its got a mild cam. This thing is crazy prowerful. I dont think ya need an LS1 unless you wanna keep up with the Jones'.
I went from a 2185 VW to this and there in no comparison. You can get a crate pritty cheep now too. There are even a lot of guys running them with a VW trans. I have a Mendi in it.
More power than I will ever need. Dunes great with 5 peeps.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4763Desktop_buggy.JPG

Danhercules
07-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Nice buggy!
Thanks. The wife tells me it needs a radio!