PDA

View Full Version : What Aluminum Heads to buy????

ghittner
07-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Im looking at aluminum 345 cc intake runner heads with 119cc chambers for a 500" blower motor with about 8 pds boost and 8:1 static compression running on 91 pump gas. My question is what heads to buy? Merlin, Edelbrock, Brodix, Dart, Procomp? Price is an object so I'm leaning toward the World Jenkins. Does anybody know about the procomps? Others? Thanks.

VAMI
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I think procomp are 320 cc get some protopline.Good price and quality.I sell them 775 each with cnc'ed chambers no parts

HONDOG
07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
For a blown package I like the Canfield 350s. They have about the best exhaust port off the shelf. With the blower the challenge is not to get the charge in, but to get it out. These are under $2,000 from Comp Products ready to run.
Just one dumb okie's opinion.

cfm
07-17-2007, 03:43 AM
My 02 - don't by the Procraps as LakesOnly calls them. I call them Pro-Fakes. They are a company that makes it's money by ripping off the good American performance companies.
A fellow boater just made over 1k hp with 8.25:1 540cid with AFR 315cc and 10psi on pump gas.
Even a cheaper set of heads will become more expensive because of the valves you should run with good hp and a blower.
Canfields do start out cheaper than most the others and is a decent head.
Don't go so cheap that it becomes more expensive to do it 'right' later.

hotbo
07-17-2007, 03:59 AM
well i dont care what you call them ive got 2 sets of proshits or whatever running around and i love them make good power and are easy to setup and cost alot less than the big names.dont know where they are made and dont care.for the money they are hard to beat good luck and i wish you the best.:D

ghittner
07-17-2007, 06:35 AM
What about the Darts?

gn7
07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
well i dont care what you call them ive got 2 sets of proshits or whatever running around and i love them make good power and are easy to setup and cost alot less than the big names.dont know where they are made and dont care.for the money they are hard to beat good luck and i wish you the best.:D
bet you are the last one to come back on this thread to tell all of us your exhaust seats fell out. AND THEY WILL!

hotbo
07-17-2007, 07:07 AM
bet you are the last one to come back on this thread to tell all of us your exhaust seats fell out. AND THEY WILL!
:D hell you maybe right.:idea: i hope not.i had both sets built by my head guy and he always does a hell of a job.he thought they were great heads.:idea: so do i.so maybe i will get lucky and for that matter so i hope some other peeps get lucky to.:D so your saying that all of them drop seats or just some you have heard of?have you had bad luck with them or are you going by some pissed off peeps word of mouth.:confused: really would like to know the truth.some times peeps talk out there asses i do.:D anyway imo they are good some will agree some will disagree either way i wish the motor builder the best and good luck:D later trav.

Slacker
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
These are what i am running now, i am happy with them. Running pump gas BBC and a TBS 6-71. Either these or the darts both similar in price but Edel's come with the inconel valves . I had to buy springs and retainers but i would had to change them on the Darts anyways.

gn7
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
so your saying that all of them drop seats or just some you have heard of?:D later trav.
have seen two set that the exhaust seats came lose, seems that there is two problems with them. The seats themselves are thin and don't have much purchase in the head, the other seems that there isn't enuff head material around the seat. All this adds up to a hot seat that doesn't transfer heat well,& the alum around the seat hold its shape and the seat falls out. NOW for the good news, if you are running some whimpy ass flat hyd cam you may never have a problem. Put those POS on a motor running 7000 to 7500 for any amount of time and they will fail.

hotbo
07-17-2007, 07:32 PM
have seen two set that the exhaust seats came lose, seems that there is two problems with them. The seats themselves are thin and don't have much purchase in the head, the other seems that there isn't enuff head material around the seat. All this adds up to a hot seat that doesn't transfer heat well,& the alum around the seat hold its shape and the seat falls out. NOW for the good news, if you are running some whimpy ass flat hyd cam you may never have a problem. Put those POS on a motor running 7000 to 7500 for any amount of time and they will fail.
well i dont know of alot of jets turning that kinda rpm:idea:
ive got one jet that turns 6300 and seems to be fine with a soild roller 690 lift.regardless maybe they are junk time will tell.:D

ghittner
07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Now now boys, back to my thread here..... What about the canfield 350 cc with the 125 cc cnc chamber? This will give me an effective 8.0:1 static compression and the price is really easy to swallow. Exhaust is raised on these .600". Looks good to me. Anybody????

wet77
07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
running dart 325's as cast with inconel exhaust valves
on a dart 540 with a 6-71 @ 10lbs
Making over 1000hp too.
Of course thats with a HTP Isky roller cam:D

cfm
07-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Now now boys, back to my thread here..... What about the canfield 350 cc with the 125 cc cnc chamber? This will give me an effective 8.0:1 static compression and the price is really easy to swallow. Exhaust is raised on these .600". Looks good to me. Anybody????
Canfield with iconel or Ferrea Super Alloy exhaust valves will be fine.
http://www.ferrea.com/products.php#sav
However, do we need a 345-350cc runner head ? What kind of rpms are you going to be running ?

Liberator TJ1984
07-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Rio's Quote :For anyone using Protopline aluminum heads. I have found the the steel inserts that are used for the rockerarms are a Metric M-16x1.5 on the outside and a us 7/16x14 on the inside. WTF. I'm not sure if this applies to all of their alum heads or just the ones that were made in New Zealand
I've got the PT 320's , bought them when they first came out , did not see this on mine . Maybe they changed for some reason ??:idea:
anyways have had no problems with the heads and they flowed great #'s on the bench right out of the box ,coulda ran them stock and been great but we did change out some the the hardware for max reliability.

adjones419
07-18-2007, 07:02 AM
What about the Darts?
I'm a big believer in Dart heads, if that means anything.

old flat
07-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Good thread; I have a new set of Canfield's for a blower motor, got them in a deal and have known about them, just not alot of tech info, I guess I should read the phamplet that comes with the heads. any way more info or experiences with these heads would be good to know.
STEVE

ghittner
07-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Good thread; I have a new set of Canfield's for a blower motor, got them in a deal and have known about them, just not alot of tech info, I guess I should read the phamplet that comes with the heads. any way more info or experiences with these heads would be good to know.
STEVE
Which Canfields? What runers?

ghittner
07-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Canfield with iconel or Ferrea Super Alloy exhaust valves will be fine.
http://www.ferrea.com/products.php#sav
However, do we need a 345-350cc runner head ? What kind of rpms are you going to be running ?
As far as the 350 cc runner goes, I'm kinda buying for the future to expand motor size later if I want too. I will be spinning to 6500-7000 max. I feel these heads with the blower will be fine, with a normally aspirated mator, it might hurt down low, but in my application I think it will be fine! Input?

cstraub
07-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Canfiield for the buck is a good deal, problem right now is availability. Last I spoke with John he did not know when he would have castings and Comp Products was out also. Canfield is supplying CFE's line of BMF's with castings to produce heads.
If you can get the Canfields I would go the 310cc runner. This head unported will support a 540 to 6800 rpm no problem. I would not go the 350cc unless you are planning on 580CID or larger in the future.
If you can't get the Canfileds the CNC chamber AFR's are an excellent bang for the buck..

Wet Dream
07-18-2007, 09:42 AM
What about the Darts?
Dart 360's. ;) I have nothing bad to say about them. Plenty of room to expand the motor in the future.

gn7
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Canfield is supplying CFE's line of BMF's with castings to produce heads.
if you know anything about CFE this should tell you something about the quality of these castings

sanger rat
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Did you know that CFE used a RHS 360 casting to make the mold for their BMF heads.

gn7
07-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I believe you may be mistaken

cfm
07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
CFE get's a special casting from Canfield that enables CFE do what they want with them. CFE has many different programs for many different applications.
Carl Foltz (CFE)is the real deal. His heads are killer.
And please, no one think or say that CFE's BMF heads are Canfields. They are not. They are just cast by Canfield.

cstraub
07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
CFE get's a special casting from Canfield that enables CFE do what they want with them. CFE has many different programs for many different applications.
Carl Foltz (CFE)is the real deal. His heads are killer.
And please, no one think or say that CFE's BMF heads are Canfields. They are not. They are just cast by Canfield.
CFM is correct, the hea is fully machined except the ports, you can't stick your thumb inside the port hole. This allows CFE to put the intake and or exhaust port they need into the head.
Scott that works at CFE has said in conversation that Carl has around 2000 different port designs on CAD/CAM.

HIRED GUN
07-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Dart 360's. ;) I have nothing bad to say about them. Plenty of room to expand the motor in the future.
ditto.............:D

ghittner
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Went with The Canfield 350cc runner, 125cc chambers. Will be here next week. Now, what cam? This never ends......I'll be posting my specs on the to three choices. I'll appreciate any input.

Liberator TJ1984
07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Went with The Canfield 350cc runner, 125cc chambers. Will be here next week. Now, what cam? This never ends......I'll be posting my specs on the to three choices. I'll appreciate any input.
get with that Cstraub guy 2 posts up ^^^^;) on the cam selection